Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WAS VERY disappointed that you left out the annual JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes from your Sunday article. This walk is organized by local families with much involvement of the children with Type 1 diabetes. Thanks to all our family teams, walkers, volunteers and sponsors for helping us get closer to a cure for our children!

CONGRATULATIONS TO the senators who had the fortitude to ignore what was politically expedient and block the stimulus bill. While this proposal as written may have created a few temporary jobs, it would only put this nation further in debt and unfairly raise taxes.

A RANT AT BOTH THE local and out-of-town gold buyers. It seems that everyone wants to buy gold these days, and they are all claiming to offer the highest prices. My question is: If they are telling the public now is a good time to sell, why do they all want to buy?

RAVES TO THE Chronicle’s regional manager Tommy Cooper. My paper is sometimes late or doesn’t make it to my house. Mr. Cooper, even on his day off and after delivery hours, has always made sure I get my paper. Thank you, Mr. Cooper, for making my day brighter and going the extra mile for a senior.

IT AMAZES ME THE amount of money Georgia drivers waste when they buy a new car that has headlights because they do not use them at dawn or dusk.

I HAVE TO ADMIRE the cleverness of the newspaper to constantly avoid praising the Bulldogs for their accomplishments. If the same amount of effort were poured toward solving the problems of the world, we would have peace on Earth.

I WOULD LIKE TO rant about the drivers who insist on running yellow and red traffic lights. It is not worth risking life, limb and liberty to run a light to get into Walmart. Nobody wants to get injured, or injure anyone else, regardless of who is at fault.

bclicious
bclicious 11/16/11 - 11:26 pm
In response to the RANT FOR

In response to the RANT FOR THE FREE VETERANS DAY DINNER:

Yes, as a 3 time OIF veteran, I am inclined to agree with you. I can see how it would put a bad taste in your mouth that you are doing a good job at serving all these Veterans, and providing a free meal, yet most of the Veterans refuse to leave a tip.

Note to all VETERANS: SERVERS are not volunteers, and do not work for free. Come on guys, your making me look bad. Sheesh!

museofsatie
museofsatie 11/16/11 - 11:26 pm
"A RANT TO THE free Veterans

"A RANT TO THE free Veterans Day dinner offered to veterans on Bobby Jones Expressway. You get your dinner for free; the least you could do is leave a tip for your waitress. We don’t work for free; we have bills to pay. How about leaving a tip next time?"

While I can sympathize with your point (I've also worked as a server and know that you pretty much rely on tips to make any sort of money in that job), I have to disagree with your attitude.

I'm sure that some of the customers just didn't want to tip or didn't think about needing to tip, even though their meal was free (similar to how some people don't tip when they use a gift card).

However, some of the veterans getting their free meal might not have had the money to provide a tip. Also, you might just be a crappy server or might have provided less than great service to some of your customers that night.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 06:59 am
"IF YOUR DAUGHTER is coming

"IF YOUR DAUGHTER is coming home from school with a headache, you should have her eyes examined. It could be eye strain."

This is a very good idea! Most of the time if a child is getting headaches at school this is exactly the cause. Although my son was having them and I took him to the eye doctor and it turned out his baseball cap was too tight. Go figure. We got him one that was bigger and Poof, no more headaches.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/11 - 07:32 am
Some people just don't tip at

Some people just don't tip at all. My son and I were at a eating establishment on Bobby Jones Expressway and our server wasn't the greatest but she tried. I notice a group of three at another table and they left. The server started cleaning the table and I noticed they had not left a tip, not even a dollar. The server never said anything but you could see from the expression on her face that she was disappointed. When we finished I made sure I handed our server her tip, added a few dollars to make up for the table that didn't, and gave her a smile. She smiled and thanked me and hopefully I made her evening just a little bit easier. So museofsatie, most times when servers are stiffed, it's not because they were less than great, it's because we live in a society of stingy people. If the veterans could not leave a tip, nothing says you can't explain to your server, compliment her on her service and wish her a nice evening. I'm sure they would appreciate that a whole lot more than wondering all evening if it was because she/he didn't do something right.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/17/11 - 07:45 am
I never pay attention to what

I never pay attention to what other tables tip. It's hard enough for me to calculate that 15-20 percent thing for myself when the bill is like $37.65.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 11/17/11 - 07:54 am
The point of offering

The point of offering Veterans a free meal is to show gratitude to those who have sacrificed so much. And many of them DID volunteer. Lambasting Veterans as somehow greedy when they were offered a FREE meal (not ALMOST free) tells me you servers need to get in the spirit of the event. Is sacrificing your tips on par with what vets have sacrificed? Really?

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 08:07 am
We always try to tip

We always try to tip 15-20%...I'll have to say we do get great servivce...& they seem to like to wait on us...of course GOB entertains them with jokes...& they always remember him......
Even at the bank the lady said "Hi...I see your husband in here & I wondered who he was married to"....... he can be unforgettable at times!
He does forget stuff a lot & they don't seem to mind.....funny how some people can get away with that & others can't.

Good am to all.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 08:14 am
Now it seems to be Mr.

Now it seems to be Mr. Gingrichs turn on the hot seat...I guess ole Cain will get a break for awhile....but saying you can't remember getting a million+ for work..... that's not the real world....plus saying historical background--- whatever....get real grinch!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 08:26 am
ICL That was very,very nice

ICL That was very,very nice of you! I'm one that tips 20 % because it's easy to figure out.
Riverman pay attention now this is important! If your bill is $37.65 then double it which comes to $75.30 a twenty percent tip would be $7.53. Check it out. My wife taught me that!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 08:34 am
shrimp.....You want river to

shrimp.....You want river to pay attention this early in the am...
heheheh...that's asking a lot...he probably is going through his stale emails..:)
(he has all of us wondering if our emails are stale)
Of course he is NEVER stale!!!!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 09:00 am
He needs an espresso and a 5

He needs an espresso and a 5 hour energy drink!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 09:07 am
And that ain't all he

And that ain't all he needs....heh heeh.....

I do like the 5-hour energy drinks....I wish they made a 10 hour energy martini drink or put it in a mudslide with whipped cream on top...cherry too......now I'm making myself want one..

raul
raul 11/17/11 - 09:09 am
@Shrimp. thanks for the neat

@Shrimp. thanks for the neat trick to calculate tips! Does your calculation include the tax added on to the bill. A friend told me recently that the tip is to be calculated using only the food cost. All these years I have included the tax to calculate the tip. How does everyone else do it?

dstewartsr
20394
dstewartsr 11/17/11 - 09:10 am
I'm guessing the new car (or

I'm guessing the new car (or old car, for that matter) drivers do not use the headlights for the same reason that turn signals are avoided: From observation of law enforcement in the CSRA.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 09:27 am
Raul I wait until I get the

Raul I wait until I get the check which has the tax included before I do the math. I guess maybe I should just tip for the food but what the heck. The waiter/waitress appreciates it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 09:29 am
raul...I have always included

raul...I have always included the tax too....

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/11 - 09:32 am
Riverman1, I don't normally

Riverman1, I don't normally pay attention to how much others tip either but since this group was sitting next to me and talking loudly I couldn't help but noticed when they left. There was piles of food left on their plate (it was a buffet setting) and as the server was clearing the table I noticed she didn't have a tip.

Frankie-B, I wasn't insinuating that these veterans were being greedy. My comment was for people in general. As I stated, not everyone can afford a tip but it cost nothing to tell your server how much she/he was appreciated and due to circumstances you are not able to leave a tip. Offering a free meal doesn't mean we have to forfeit manners.

Thanks Shrimp, I too usually go for 20% just because it's easier. A lot of my son's friends are in the food industry and I know how hard it is for them to make a living. God has blessed me so I'm just trying to pass some of those blessings along.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/17/11 - 09:37 am
Exactly ICL. I've been

Exactly ICL. I've been blessed too and passing it on makes me feel like I'm showing gratitude for all that God has given me.
I also know how hard these folks work. When I was in College I worked in a couple of retaurants. HARD WORK for meager pay!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/17/11 - 09:42 am
InChristLove wrote: My son

InChristLove wrote:

I think it was Dorothy Parker, author and humorist, who wrote an article about politics and said, “I never vote. It just encourages them.”

The whole idea of tipping the wait staff after a meal is to provide feedback to the waiter about their performance. There are some great waiters out there, but, frankly, there are some who need to find another profession. If you always tip generously then you are sending a message that you don't care about good performance or poor performance. Always tipping 20% is like Tee-ball where everybody gets a trophy and no one keeps score.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/11 - 09:53 am
LittleLamb, your idea of

LittleLamb, your idea of tipping may be to provide feedback on their performance but my idea of tipping is, in a way,saying thank you for servicing me, keeping my glass filled, removing used plates, getting me extra napkins, etc. All of us can't be excellent servers and if someone is trying their best, frankly I think they deserve a nice tip. How do we know if this is the server's first week, or if they have been feeling ill but trying to keep their job, or maybe they have a sick child at home but has to work worrying about how they are going to pay for the doctor bill. That being said, I am not beyond leaving a less tip for a server who I know is being slack because they just don't care. If you are observant, you can tell the difference. (In Tee-ball, your lively hood doesn't depend on if you get the trophy)

allhans
allhans 11/17/11 - 09:56 am
I would go up to $40.oo and

I would go up to $40.oo and round off, then leave at least $8.00 but then that is just me.
I know that lots of folks don't leave tips, they will make remarks like, Let the d-- restaurant pay them a better wage, they are the ones making the money.

Back to the waitress, it would have been nice if she could have been in the spirit of things, FREE dinner...but I'll bet she really counted on the money.

InChristLove
InChristLove 11/17/11 - 10:01 am
Personally, if the meal was

Personally, if the meal was offered for free I don't think a couple of dollars for tip would be too much to ask. Most spend that at the Waffle House for coffee each morning.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/17/11 - 10:03 am
I'm with you

I'm with you allhans......their look of appreciation when you do tip well means a lot to me....some really NEED those extra $$$.......I'm trying to keep my giving local this season & also trying to give USA gifts at Christmas......

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/17/11 - 10:31 am
or even better if gold is

or even better if gold is soooo valuable why in the world would i want to trade gold for this so called worthless paper money......

raul
raul 11/17/11 - 10:33 am
@FrankieB. Nice try, but no

@FrankieB. Nice try, but no cigar. Vet or not, anybody who doesn't leave a tip, whether a dollar or two, or more, if service was adequate is cheap in my book.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/17/11 - 10:41 am
ICL wrote: My idea of tipping

ICL wrote:

My idea of tipping is, in a way, saying thank you for servicing me, keeping my glass filled, removing used plates, getting me extra napkins, etc.

But what if they don't keep your glass filled? — if they don't remove used plates? — if they don't get extra napkins?

Good service should result in good tip. Poor service should result in small or zero tip.

Your comment about the napkins reminded me of a personal experience. I had completed my stint as a poll worker and was tired and hungry at about 8:00 p.m. I went into a restaurant that shall remain nameless in the BiLo shopping center on Fury's Ferry Road. Since it was so late there were very few people there. I ordered a plate of wings, dripping with sauce. The wings were acceptable, and I dug in. The waitress stopped back by and asked if I needed anything; and I said I would soon need some more napkins. I never saw that waitress again. I guess she needed to take a smoke break, but since I was her only customer at that time, she left me with messy fingers.

I got up from the table and walked around the restaurant until I found where they stash the silverware, wrapped in napkins. I lifted about five napkins by the corners, spilling the silverware all over the station. The restaurant manager fussed at me, but he realized I was doing what a reasonable person would do when abandoned by her waitress.

Naturally I left no tip.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 10:43 am
Seenit, you are so right,

Seenit, you are so right, AGAIN. Treating the server like they are valuable people from the beginning, sets the standard to receive excellent service. Also, having some understanding of how busy they are is important and not expecting them to be mind readers. I tip 20%, sometimes more when the meal is inexpensive. Some folks just have their "mad on" at all times.

What I am wondering is how do the restaurants get away with paying less than minimum wages? The tips are not a guarantee.

allhans
allhans 11/17/11 - 10:46 am
L.L. Poll worker? I did a few

L.L.
Poll worker?
I did a few years at the Vineyard..long hours and when voting was slow, it was an even longer 12 hours.

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/17/11 - 10:47 am
I always calculate my tip by

I always calculate my tip by figuring 10% and doubling that amount (though I will add or deduct some depending on performance/effort). For the 37.65, move your decimal one place to the left and then double that amount (3.76*2). Sometimes I receive service that I think could be better, but I recognize effort as well. If I see the waitress running back and forth trying to care for all their tables, then I can appreciate the hard work and reward them accordingly.

Apparently it was the restaurant who decided to offer a free meal and I am guessing they did so because their profit margin allowed for such a gesture. The profit margin of a typical waitress does not allow for them to work for free and was not part of that offer, so a tip should have been left for the service provided by the waitstaff assuming it wasn't terrible service.

Willow Bailey
20606
Willow Bailey 11/17/11 - 10:49 am
And Good Morning to you

And Good Morning to you Seenit. How is GOB doing? Sorry to hear he was being "checked up", and sure hope he got an excellent report. Looks like another beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Raises vary widely for GRU administrators

While there has been an overall 6 percent increase in administrative pay at Georgia Regents University since it was created by consolidation, raises and promotions have caused vastly different ...