Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

THERE IS NO QUESTION young thugs are more dangerous nowadays. Cops can’t be everywhere. Should we all arm ourselves?

THE MILITARY WASTES just like the rest of government does. Cut, cut, cut! If politicians want to cut military spending, they can close down many U.S. bases that spread all over the world, bases that only spend money and involve giant “defense contracts.”

A RAVER SAYS, “John Barrow ... stands for what’s right.” Did Barrow himself call that one in?

A NEW SCHOOL “program” is for at-risk students. Any time you see government say “program,” run for your life.

FORT HOOD SHOOTING took place two years ago. Why hasn’t the perpetrator been to trial yet? What’s the problem??

TO THE LITTLE GIRL who sits across from the elevator at Dr. Bertram’s office. I just want to say thanks for being so nice and helping get an appointment with the doctor to plan my surgery. I was very nervous, but you were so kind and confident. THANKS.

I’M GLAD GEORGIA and Columbia County got some illegals off the streets. ... Now some honest construction companies can start supporting their families.

I LOVE THE the postcard messages by Bill Kirby. The ranter can just turn the page to something else. Postcards are a great way to communicate which cannot be matched by e-mail, Twitter, Facebook, etc. In fact, we need more new postcards somehow. I managed to get the reproductions from the Augusta Museum of History. Are there any other postcards around in Augusta besides Walmart, Rite Aid, CVS and the downtown museum? Please let us know, Bill!

RUSSELL AND THE commissioners need to stop cutting funds from law enforcement! You know by all the crime reports, we need more, not less, monies for that. You are not making any sense.

A BIG RAVE for Grovetown High School ROTC. Being a senior citizen, I received a blessing from this group of students. I was at the Golden Corral with my mother and two guests. My mother was in a wheelchair when the 165 plus students arrived in a nice-looking sweatpant outfit showing where they went to school. I wish every group would take lessons from them.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 05:06 am
The post said... RUSSELL AND

The post said...

YEP_YEP...We can agree with that.....

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 05:09 am
The question is ...should we

The question is ...should we all arm ourselves....

More & more---day after day--the answer is yes...sad state of affairs in the real world.....just learn how to use the dang thing...

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 05:33 am
Thanks AC for putting the

Thanks AC for putting the discussions page back :)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 07:46 am
Good Morning America. Rant

Good Morning America.

Rant 1.....Self explanatory.

myopinion3
myopinion3 11/16/11 - 08:21 am
should we arm ourselves?

should we arm ourselves? YES YES YES already have..stop threatening to and DO IT. You slow one of em down , I will slow one of em down soon we will get to all of em

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/16/11 - 09:03 am
I apologize for bringing in

I apologize for bringing in some reality so early in the morning, but all those people who so blithely call for arming themselves should look at the reality. Due to military service and other duties I have more bodies on me than a free bus; I know, over and over, what it is to kill another person. Still I find myself wondering if except in the gravest danger I would do it again, especially over some replaceable possessions. For myself, I am very well armed and trained but cannot bring myself to look forward as eagerly as too many on this forum do to using deadly force. I dunno, seems to me anyone who wants to take on the criminals probably shouldn’t.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/16/11 - 09:11 am
Not mentioning which papers

Not mentioning which papers or columns, but some remind me of one of those emailing lists you somehow end up on where someone sends you stale jokes all the time. (Not yours SeenIt)

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 09:28 am
dstewartsr...meet you and as

dstewartsr...meet you and as a friend this is where I differ from you. I too have many memories of bullets entering into a human body and it is not a pleasent memory. But if anybody points a gun in my face or any member of my family, you can rest assured that I will never think twice about seeing another impact of a bullet entering a body and I will have no bad feelings about it after.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 09:30 am
Riverman1, I just checked to

Riverman1, I just checked to see that you were not on my stale joke email list.I feel better now.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 09:43 am
A very factual, well written

A very factual, well written truth by Nile Gardiner. Sort of makes my day to read it, Thanks wondersnevercease.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/16/11 - 09:56 am
Good Morning Seenit, River,

Good Morning Seenit, River, et al

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/16/11 - 09:57 am
I hope you're not going to be

I hope you're not going to be grumpy, today, River.

Jane18
Jane18 11/16/11 - 10:27 am
Re:R&R #1- Yes, I do!

Re:R&R #1- Yes, I do!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 10:45 am
Dear Grumpy......... (Not

Dear Grumpy......... (Not yours SeenIt).....good thing you added that!

Or you could be on my "other" list.....no fun no mon...no hon...

Well I spent this am at the hospital with goodoleboy...he had tests of the brain to see if he had 1....the nurse said no...he did not ...heheheh...I have told him that many times but he had to hear from a professional...well anyway ...so far so good w/test....
Now I am wiped out......big hospitals can wear out your get-up-& go..

Good morning to all

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 10:57 am
TWO DIFFERENT DOCTORS'

TWO DIFFERENT DOCTORS' OFFICES

Boy, if this doesn't hit the nail on the head, I don't know what does!

Two patients limp into two different medical clinics with the same complaint?
Both have trouble walking and appear to require a hip replacement.

The FIRST patient is examined within the hour, is x-rayed the same day and has
a time booked for surgery the following week.

The SECOND sees his family doctor after waiting 3 weeks for an appointment,
then waits 8 weeks to see a specialist, then gets an x-ray,

which isn't reviewed for another week and

finally has his surgery scheduled for 6 months from then.

Why the different treatment for the two patients?

The FIRST is a Golden Retriever.
The SECOND is a Senior Citizen.

HOW TRUE!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 11:07 am
It seems if the"code"isn't

It seems if the"code"isn't exactly right on the doctors orders the hospital can't bill medicare for the test....the lady was nice enough totell us how many thousands that would be....yikes.....checked with Drs office & that test will have to wait til it is corrected on paper ....what amazes me is ...think of all the rip-offs-non payers--that get by & here we are 2 honest-- innocent taxpayers ...we never have ripped off any medical test-office-Dr or etc.& we get the 3rd degee......GOB said ...Just bill us like you do the illegals .....:):) (She smiled)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/16/11 - 11:17 am

Til all my dreams come true......beautiful....
seeya later folks!

allhans
allhans 11/16/11 - 01:42 pm
If you receive a letter from

If you receive a letter from Medicare denying a claim or a portion of a claim, you need only call the insurance clerk at the doctor's office, they understand immediately...and it is done!

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/16/11 - 02:51 pm
hate to say it you can arm

hate to say it you can arm yourselves all you want but ten outta ten times the thug already has the drop on you because he has his gun already out so good luck with that

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/16/11 - 02:53 pm
You are quite welcome CG...I

You are quite welcome CG...I find the "real news" about the US when I read papers from Europe and Great Britain....wonder why that is???

drivenslow
drivenslow 11/16/11 - 02:53 pm
and i can tell you these

and i can tell you these young kids (not thugs its all of em) the way they think remind me of a good marine stone cold killers without a single shred of remorse but its our societies fault...by the time i was 20 i had seen every concievable way there is to die or be murdered and i paid good money to see it on the big screen

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/16/11 - 03:02 pm
Stale joke alert! My young

Stale joke alert! My young grandson called the other day to wish me Happy Birthday. He asked me how old I was, and I told him, 65. My grandson was quiet for a moment, and then he asked, "Did you start at 1?"

reba530
reba530 11/16/11 - 04:22 pm
The comment that was made

The comment that was made about the illegal immigrants is such a joke. If the american people were not so greedy and put bids out there thats not outragous then just maybe they will get those jobs. Jealousy is all that was.Lets turn immigrants in because we are to sorry to work hard. I hope out of towners get all our local jobs then just maybe they too will lower their prices

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/16/11 - 05:08 pm
CG, you mistake me. In the

CG, you mistake me. In the case of defending myself or others, I do not hesitate. I did not survive three and a half tours as an infantryman by allowing the other fellows a "fair chance' (whatever the hell that is); anyone coming after me with deadly intent's cause of death would fairly read "suicide."

But I do take exception to the number of posters who so blythely state their deadly intent; it is my experience that the most vocally bloodthirsty seem to be the least likely to be in the forefront. Just an observation.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 11/16/11 - 05:48 pm
The only way i've even been

The only way i've even been in the right place at the right time to stop crime is when i'm obedient. Obedience seems to be working for me and Golden Labs:p)

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/16/11 - 06:11 pm
"...it is my experience that

"...it is my experience that the most vocally bloodthirsty seem to be the least likely to be in the forefront. Just an observation.

As for the aftermath, you are made of sterner stuff than I; even though it was always 'him or me' or the line of duty, I still have regrets and remember the first man I killed-- and that was in 1964."

dstewartsr, most combat Veterans have vivid memories of those terrible unpleasant tasks. They are forever embedded to the point that they cannot be removed. Many of us have never been in a situation where we would have the need to use deadly force. Some, on the other hand, have. In the last twenty years, I've had several situations where being armed was to my distinct advantage. I would never use deadly force unless the situation called for it. This is where training comes in!

Anyone wanting to arm themselves, should get trained prior to carrying a weapon. By trained, I don't mean going out to the woods and firing off a few rounds. I mean locating someone who can provide the proper training of use, and responsibilities of weapon ownership, and proper carrying techniques. Thankfully, the Military provided all the training I'll ever need. Besides, I'm too old and fat to run, so I legally carry. I have no intentions of taking a life. There are other places you can shoot that will stop an aggressor. Y'all stay safe now, ya heah?

KSL
KSL 11/16/11 - 07:04 pm
Very well stated, sargebaby.

Very well stated, sargebaby. I totally agree. On the non-warfare front, I was taught don't think unless you think you need to kill, but if you think you need to kill, then by all means shoot and shoot quickly and accurately. And shoot to kill, don't mess around with just trying to stop the progress of the imminent danger to you or yours. I do so appreciate the law enforcement person who taught me that.

Someone messes with me to the extent that I feel my life is in danger, I will kill them and not have a second thought. I'm not about to be thinking when this person is threatening my life or the lives of my loved ones, "can this piece of humanity be rehabbed."

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 07:14 pm
Reference Gun Carry. I just

Reference Gun Carry. I just got this one from one of us. Old but says alot.

Cogent enough to pass along to my dearest friends and family. If you saw the video of the OWS threatening violence tomorrow in NYC, you will take note. I fear Obama wants riots just like they are threatening so that he can declare Marshall Law. But then, maybe I’ve gone completely nuts.

Why Grandpa carries a gun . . .

Please take time to read this and pay particular attention to "A Little Gun History" about half way down.

PEOPLE ASK WHY?

Why Carry a Gun?

My old grandpa said to me 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take an *@#% whoopin.'

I don't carry a gun to kill people.

I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun to scare people.

I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.

I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.

I carry a gun because there are real threats in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.

I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.

I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of government.

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.

I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone.

I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, and not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun because I'm a cowboy.

I carry a gun because, when I die and go to heaven, I want to be a cowboy.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.

I carry a gun because men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.

I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it.

I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron.

Free citizens must protect themselves.

Police do not protect you from crime, they usually just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone in to clean up the mess.

I carry a gun because God gave me the Right to do so; it is inalienable.

**********************************************

A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

China established gun control in 1935. From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

Uganda established gun control in 1970. From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

------------------------------

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

-----------------------------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million..

------------------------------

You won't see this data on the US evening news, or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest citizens save lives and property and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control, please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'citizens'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.

During WW II the Japanese decided not to invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this anti gun - control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.

There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain.

All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

SWITZERLAND'S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.

SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY IN THE WORLD!

IT'S A NO BRAINER!

DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF OUR TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

I'm a firm believer in the 2nd Amendment!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/16/11 - 07:32 pm
The AC has got me on that "Do

The AC has got me on that "Do Not Post Until Reviewed By The Liberal Board" list.

They still don't want me on here.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen