Highway to be dedicated to former judge Ruffin

A highway will be dedicated Monday to former Judge John H. Ruffin Jr., the first black superior court judge for the Augusta Judicial Circuit.

The portion of State Road 25 beginning at State Road 88 to the Burke County line will be named in Ruffin’s honor. The dedication ceremony and sign unveiling will be at 10:30 a.m. at the Abundant Life Worship Center, 2070 Brown Road, Hephzibah.

A Waynesboro, Ga., native, Ruffin was a civil rights lawyer who became the first black member of the Augusta Bar Association. In 1986, he became the first black Augusta Superior Court judge and in 1994, he was named to the Court of Appeals of Georgia, where in 2005 he became the appeals court’s first black chief judge.

The courthouse at the new Augusta-Richmond County Judicial Building was also named after Ruffin.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 11/11/11 - 05:03 pm
"Highway to be dedicated to

"Highway to be dedicated to former black judge Ruffin"

That may be the single worst headline I have ever seen on an AC story. C'mon now...you guys are better than that!

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/11/11 - 05:20 pm
Definitely agree with you on

Definitely agree with you on that one Austin.

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/11/11 - 05:32 pm
That was a quick fix. :)

That was a quick fix. :)

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 06:29 pm
That was easy compared to all

That was easy compared to all the trouble to get the Ruff House named after him.

Vito45
Vito45 11/11/11 - 06:56 pm
Headline is awful in its

Headline is awful in its construction (it has since been edited)
, but even in the body they reference his race. WHY?? I would hope that Ruffun is being honored because he was a GOOD JUDGE, not because he was a judge of color. If I were AA, things like that would be insulting to me. "Nothing special about the guy, we just decided to honor him for his color". Pretty demeaning in my book.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/11/11 - 07:26 pm
Vito, I agree with the

Vito, I agree with the comments about the headline (which has now been edited). But, let's face it, the highway stretch would not have been named after him if he had been white. It was the firsts that resulted in the honors (Ruff House and now the highway stretch). It is entirely proper that the reporter tells us that he was the first black superior court judge in the Augusta circuit and later the first black appeals court judge in Georgia.

Fortunately we don't name stretches of roads after the seconds and the thirds summed to infinity. Every mile of road would have the name of a judge or a politician on it.

Vito45
Vito45 11/11/11 - 07:51 pm
It is appropriate to give a

It is appropriate to give a biography, but leading with it is not, and "firsts" should not be the criteria as it implies to me that his race and not his accomplishments are what he is honored for.

augustan30815
augustan30815 11/11/11 - 10:52 pm
Can someone explain to me

Can someone explain to me this obsession (addiction?) with renaming perfectly fine road names after the names of public figures? Ruffin already has the city courthouse named after him (though white commissioners on principle did not want to name it after any person – white, black or in-between). Now this rural stretch of Peach Orchard Rd/US 25 (not GA 25 as the article states) will be named after him also. Obviously the road choice is an allusion to Ruffin's Burke County roots – but in this case, wouldn't a better choice be a road actually in Burke County?

I guess politicians won't be happy until every perfectly fine road name is renamed after either a politician or other public figure. At least they failed when they tried this with River Watch Pkwy. (Now if we could revert Mike Padgett and Doug Barnard to their better sounding former names.....)

Vito45
Vito45 11/12/11 - 12:32 am
Retired Army Friday, Nov. 11

Retired Army
Friday, Nov. 11 11:16 PM
FROM:
Highway to be dedicated to former judge Ruffin

"Vito, at the very least, wait until the guy is dead to prevent any possible embarrassment."

True dat!

Vito45
Vito45 11/12/11 - 12:33 am
Augustan, I could not agree

Augustan, I could not agree more!

Vito45
Vito45 11/12/11 - 01:05 am
Augustan, I could not agree

Augustan, I could not agree more!

iLove
iLove 11/12/11 - 10:29 am
Let's give em something to

Let's give em something to talk about. Y'all enjoy your day today!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/11 - 11:38 am
Vito posted, “. . . and

Vito posted, “. . . and "firsts" should not be the criteria as it implies to me that his race and not his accomplishments are what he is honored for.”

By all accounts he was a dependable judge. He did nothing outstanding nor embarrassing. The only thing he is being honored for are those two "firsts." He would not have his name on the courthouse nor on the highway if he had been white and served as judge.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/12/11 - 11:42 am
Yes, to what Vito and LL say,

Yes, to what Vito and LL say, however he was involved in the civil rights struggle and was a first in an honored profession. That's enough for me to call it the Ruff House. Just don't try naming a fire station after Marion Williams because he was the first black Augusta fireman.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/12/11 - 11:49 am
The only things Marion

The only things Marion Williams did outstanding were embarrassing.

:-)

Vito45
Vito45 11/12/11 - 03:05 pm
"He would not have his name

"He would not have his name on the courthouse nor on the highway if he had been white and served as judge." That is wrong IMO.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 11/12/11 - 05:49 pm
First of all, no one is

First of all, no one is "re-naming" the road. That portion on US Hwy 25 has no name.. this is simply naming a portion of it in honor of judge Ruffin.. just like a portion of US Hwy 25 in south Augusta is named Peach Orchard Rd.. The protion of US 78/278 thru Augusta is named the "Gordon" Hwy.. a portion of US 1 is named Deans Bridge Rd. I suppose we should just go back and call of those names by their numeric call sign? I guess we should all start referring to Bobby Jones expressway as I-520? Come on people! Now my only gripe is naming roads and bridges after "living" people.. Judge Ruffin is deceased.. and I think this is an apt honor.. I mean all it involves is erecting a cpl of signs. And for you wanting to make this into a racial issue.. you do realize that the portion of I-20 from Lake Oconee to the Savannah River is named "The Carl Sanders Hwy" after "white" former governor Carl Sanders (who is still living btw)

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 11/12/11 - 05:58 pm
Was Carl Sanders the first

Was Carl Sanders the first "white" governor of Georgia? He wasn't even the first governor from the Augusta area. And the man is still alive.

augustan30815
augustan30815 11/12/11 - 07:22 pm
@Bev - You're thinking of US

@Bev - You're thinking of US 25 N in Burke County. Within Richmond, it is signed as Peach Orchard all the way to the county line (at least this has been the case since the road was widened a few years ago)

Concerning roads without names though... why don't we help Hephzibah find a name for SR 88... Barack Obama Hwy anyone? :-D

augustan30815
augustan30815 11/12/11 - 07:39 pm
Re Carl Sanders - According

Re Carl Sanders - According to some Chronicle article from years ago, Sanders was somehow instrumental in I-20 passing through Augusta instead of somewhere else. That is how his name ended up on the hwy (though no one calls it by that name).

Vito45
Vito45 11/12/11 - 08:05 pm
Carl got fat off of the land

Carl got fat off of the land he owned that I-20 went through, as have a couple of Augusta politicians with I-20 and I-520.
This place has historically been lousy with crooked politicians greasing their own pockets. Mr Barnard never explained where the 200K of leftover campaign money went when he retired. That is one example among many.