Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I WANT TO EXPRESS my appreciation for the excellent customer service that was provided to me by Keith Petty of the Richmond County Code Enforcement Department. On Aug. 12, I called him for guidance on how to clean up overgrown bushes in my neighborhood. Mr. Petty came out and made an assessment of the complaint. A month later the issue has been nicely resolved.

It is becoming all too rare these days to find a person that goes to such great lengths to satisfy his customers. I hope your success will show others that old fashioned hard work and consideration for customers are values that are rewarded in our society. Now he has transferred to the Harrisburg area.

A RAVE TO the passenger on the bus who gave me a piece of fruit and some money as I was departing the bus. God bless her, and maybe someday someone will be able to help her the way that she helped me. Thank you.

I LIVE IN south Augusta and have 60 square miles of air space that I claim as mine. Administrator Fred Russell, do you want to buy that at $5,000 a square mile? That is a bargain compared to the parking deck.

MY HUSBAND PUTS up Halloween blowups in our yard every October, and we love the families that come around on Halloween and enjoy seeing Frankenstein and the Cat and all the others. The children who come see them are real blessings to us.

I JUST GOT MY North Augusta tax appraisal from Aiken County. They say that real estate values went up. The appraisal on my house went up $10,000. I called two real estate agents and two appraisers, and they said there was no increase in real estate last year in North Augusta. Everyone knows that real estate values haven’t gone up. How does Aiken County justify the fact that they are raising our house values when the values have not gone up?

IN REGARD TO the size of the newspaper now. I’m really satisfied with it. So please don’t change it. Just keep the crossword puzzle easy to read.

I THINK THE Sheriff’s Office should permanently place Deputy J.D. Paugh’s motorcycle, helmet and boots in the new Municipal Center or in the History Museum with a plaque explaining how he died to remind us all that officers lives are always on the line and to honor them.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 11/11/11 - 04:18 am
Last Idea in the Rants/Raves:

Last Idea in the Rants/Raves: Great Idea

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/11/11 - 08:20 am
The rave said.. A RAVE TO the

The rave said..

We should all notice others & help when we can....I thank all who do.

JohnRandolphHardisonCain
JohnRandolphHardisonCain 11/11/11 - 08:36 am
I would like to thank all the

I would like to thank all the non-veterans for not serving the American imperial state and its war machine.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/11/11 - 08:44 am
That war machine is the

That war machine is the reason you aren't speaking German or living in a concentration camp.

THANKYOU VETERANS!

Chuck Odom
Chuck Odom 11/11/11 - 09:20 am
To all the men and women who

To all the men and women who have served in the military service of the United States, THANK YOU!

A special thanks to all the men and women who are currently serving. Since I personally know many of today’s active, guard, and reserve soldiers, I KNOW that the future of our country has bright spots and is in good hands.

Also those currently serving should know this, there are roughly 2.5 million currently serving (active, guard, and reserve) out of the total 300 million population of this country. That makes you the TRUE ONE PERCENTERS!!

I salute you and I thank you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/11/11 - 09:21 am
Why does the date 11:11 mean

Why does the date 11:11 mean more to some?? I mean in a mystical way...strange feeling about the 11:11:11......I hope it is a good thing.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 11/11/11 - 09:51 am
It takes all kinds of folks

It takes all kinds of folks out there for reasons known only to God.

Let us also this day remember all the incorrectly marked graves at Arlington, and all them graves all over the world where American soldiers, sailors and airmen have been left.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/11/11 - 10:34 am
Freedom isn't free at all!!

Freedom isn't free at all!! Many have paid with their lives.

Thank you Veterans, current, and former. You and your families remain in my prayers.

allhans
allhans 11/11/11 - 09:02 pm
I give thanks to the veterans

I give thanks to the veterans and to the troops now serving this great country.

I'm sorry to see that Cain chooses not to live with the rest of us. It must be lonely out there somewhere.

cytoranger
cytoranger 11/11/11 - 12:04 pm
Wow should have used speel

Wow should have used speel check, I meant no one hates war more than the solider. Anger can make you hurry more than is needed.

Chillen
Chillen 11/11/11 - 12:11 pm
Ok. There are 11 comments so

Ok. There are 11 comments so far in the rant & rave section.

It is now 11:11 on 11/11/11.

And I'm still here!!! Ha-Ha!

gaspringwater
gaspringwater 11/11/11 - 12:42 pm
We have two national holidays

We have two national holidays to praise and worship the military but only one Mother's Day. It illustrates our screwed up priorities.

Jake
Jake 11/11/11 - 12:59 pm
"Robust but respectful

"Robust but respectful conversation, not for personal attacks" so I quote the AC. I guess calling someone an "idiot" because you do not like or agree with what they say is permitted? Sounds like a personal attack to me.
I also salute the Veterans on this day, especially the ones in my family who served in combat. My French grandfather was a machine gunner at Verdun in WWI, my dad served in Europe in WWII, Korea and Vietnam. I, myself, served in Vietnam and will never forget the many fellow airmen I served with.

kmb413
kmb413 11/11/11 - 01:19 pm
Cain, If you can read this,

Cain,

If you can read this, thank a Vet.

Your Welcome,

Kristen Banks, US Air Force Vet, OIF & OEF

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 01:34 pm
My stocks are doing great

My stocks are doing great today as is the rest of the market. I bet it's a psychological thing for people to gamble in the market today because of the lucky numbers. 11:11

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/11/11 - 04:03 pm
Great 11:11 post up above,

Great 11:11 post up above, Chillen. It reminded me of Willie Dixon's great lyrics to "Hoochie Coochie Man," posted below in edited form to celebrate the day:

Now, on the ’leventh hour, of the ’leventh day,
on the ’leventh month, the ’leventh doctor said:
"This boy's born for good luck," and I know you see;
Got ’leven hundred dollars, and don't you mess with me,

’Cause y’know I'm here.
Everybody knows I'm here.
I'm your hoochie-coochie man;
Everybody knows I'm here.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:24 pm
A Soldier's War Experience By

A Soldier's War Experience
By Don Blanding (veteran WWI & WWII)

What did you see, soldier? What did you see at the war?
I saw such glory and horror as I've never seen before,
I saw men's hearts burned naked in red crucibles of pain;
I saw such Godlike courage as I'll never see again.

What did you hear, soldier? What did you hear at war?
I heard prayers on lips of men who had never prayed before;
I heard the men utter thoughts they will never think again;
I heard the sacred things they will not speak again.

What did you eat soldier? What did you eat at war?
I ate sour bread of fear, the acrid salt of gore, my lips burned with
wine of hate, the scalding drink of Cain. My tongue has known a
bitter taste I would not taste again.

What did you think, soldier? What did you think at war?
I thought, how strange we have not learned from wars that raged
before, except new ways for killing, new multiples of pain.
Is all the blood that men have shed but blood shed in vain?

What did you learn, soldier? What did you learn at war?
I learned we must learn sometime what was not learned before;
that victories won on battlefields are victories won in vain.
Unless in peace we kill the germs that breed new wars again.

What did you pray, soldier? What did you pray at war?
I prayed that we might do the thing we have not done before;
that we might mobilize for peace- nor mobilize in vain lest christ
and man be forced to climb stark Calvary again.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:25 pm
A Soldier's War Experience By

A Soldier's War Experience
By Don Blanding (veteran WWI & WWII)

What did you see, soldier? What did you see at the war?
I saw such glory and horror as I've never seen before,
I saw men's hearts burned naked in red crucibles of pain;
I saw such Godlike courage as I'll never see again.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:26 pm
What did you hear, soldier?

What did you hear, soldier? What did you hear at war?
I heard prayers on lips of men who had never prayed before;
I heard the men utter thoughts they will never think again;
I heard the sacred things they will not speak again.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:26 pm
What did you eat soldier?

What did you eat soldier? What did you eat at war?
I ate sour bread of fear, the acrid salt of gore, my lips burned with
wine of hate, the scalding drink of Cain. My tongue has known a
bitter taste I would not taste again.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:27 pm
What did you think, soldier?

What did you think, soldier? What did you think at war?
I thought, how strange we have not learned from wars that raged
before, except new ways for killing, new multiples of pain.
Is all the blood that men have shed but blood shed in vain?

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:27 pm
What did you learn, soldier?

What did you learn, soldier? What did you learn at war?
I learned we must learn sometime what was not learned before;
that victories won on battlefields are victories won in vain.
Unless in peace we kill the germs that breed new wars again.

bjphysics
bjphysics 11/11/11 - 04:27 pm
What did you pray, soldier?

What did you pray, soldier? What did you pray at war?
I prayed that we might do the thing we have not done before;
that we might mobilize for peace- nor mobilize in vain lest christ
and man be forced to climb stark Calvary again.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/11/11 - 06:07 pm
To all Military, active,

To all Military, active, retired, young and old, thank you for your service and sacrifice!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 11/11/11 - 06:08 pm
Riverman, when you check in,

Riverman, when you check in, please contact me via email. Thank you!

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/11/11 - 06:36 pm
Hey, Sarge, be glad to, but I

Hey, Sarge, be glad to, but I don't have your email ad. The old forum thing is gone.

Morning wreck slows traffic

Expect delays at Peach Orchard Road near Bobby Jones Expressway after a wreck involving an 18-wheeler.