Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

I DON’T PARTICULARLY like Rick Perry the Republican candidate. However, he has come up with a viable energy independence plan using our own resources that could put one million plus people back to work. How does that compare to the president’s job plan which at best will only generate a handful of jobs?

THE NEW CONFERENCE center parking structure looks really great and we can all be proud of it. What I don’t understand is why parking is not free for us at times that conferences are not taking place?

A RAVE FOR Mrs. Troxler of Lewiston Elementary School. She is such a dedicated teacher.

HUGE RANT TO the city of Grovetown for refusing to acknowledge that I didn’t receive a bill and cutting my water off! When I went to the office, several others were claiming the same thing.

I WATCHED AN Augusta commissioner being interviewed on TV, and he started a sentence by saying, “We was given...” It’s a sad thing when the people elected to lead our community have difficulty in formulating a simple sentence properly.

THE LEFT-TURN SIGNAL at St. Sebastian that allows traffic onto Greene Street toward River Watch Parkway needs repair. It only works half the time. Instead of easing traffic out of the Medical District, it is causing more backups. Please get this signal working properly.

IS THERE NO END TO the publication of postcards from travelers in Bill Kirby’s column? He is a better journalist than that. What percentage of your readership is really interested in such information?

WHAT DID SOLYNDRA do with half a billion dollars? We need to ask Obama and make him liable for this fiasco.

PRISONERS RIOTING IN a privately owned prison? Those guys have way too much time on their hands. They won’t have time to riot if they are out busting rocks into little rocks!

Techfan
Techfan 11/07/11 - 05:30 am
3rd to last: Those that send

3rd to last: Those that send in the postcards.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 06:22 am
Put Rick Perry---Christie &

Put Rick Perry---Christie & Rudy in Washington DC...& we could put this nation on the right track....imho...Rudy as Attorney General.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 06:24 am
Give ole Newt & Cain a job

Give ole Newt & Cain a job too.....maybe in the cabinet.
If Greece can co-governed...we can too.

etlinks
etlinks 11/07/11 - 07:33 am
Keep up the good work Bill

Keep up the good work Bill Kirby, your articles are the only bright spot in the paper.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 07:39 am
Questions.... Why is the

Questions....

Why is the right side of the discussion page missing so much??

Where is Cassandra??

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 08:07 am
Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 08:29 am
Progress is being made on the

Progress is being made on the project to begin deepening of the Savannah River for 17 miles inland from the coast to allow bigger ships. The Corps is firm this project needs to go ahead in the face of South Carolina's decision to fight the matter in the courts. SC is worried about the effect a larger volume of water in the harbor will have on the salinity and salt water intrusion issue.

In Georgia the EPD is not protesting the decision, but has a set of measures concerning the river they want effected before allowing the deepening.

What's going to be critical to countering the increased salt water will be maintaining adequate flow from Thurmond Dam. Does anyone know the effect on the river of the new reactors at Plant Vogtle?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 08:33 am
RM, from what I've read, the

RM, from what I've read, the only thing the EPD is worried about regarding the dredging is low dissolved oxygen in the deep water in the dredge area. They are considering installing a system to pump air into the depths to get the oxygen where they want it. The stupid thing about that is the air compressors use a lot of energy (think fossil fuels) to run.

Regarding effects of rivers of power plants, you should know that nuclear power plants have fewer negative effects on rivers than do fossil fuel power plants. Now there are a lot of anti-reservoir people out there who maintain that hydroelectric dams have the worst effects on rivers of any kind of power generation. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 08:35 am
For the second ranter:

For the second ranter: TANSTAAFL

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 08:41 am
Oxygen is always a concern,

Oxygen is always a concern, but the SC complaints specifically are about salt water intrusion. I'm not sure what the GA EPD concerns are. If there is increased water in that portion of the river, it's going to require more fresh water to keep the same degree of salinity. The only place on the river I've read of oxygen pumps being used is up here.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 08:40 am
Yeah, I really don't think

Yeah, I really don't think ONE reactor has too much effect on the river although it does take some water due to evaporation and warms the river a degree or two. How many will we have around here? Four?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 08:51 am
I think there is an overall

I think there is an overall fallacy in your logic regarding the salinity, RM. Think about this: the silt in the mouth of the river is largely there due to mankind's development of projects upstream. All the land-clearing for all the subdivisions, factories, highways, etc. has dumped billions of cubic feet of red clay into the river, where it washed downstream and deposited in the mouth of the river. One could make the argument that dredging would bring the river back to its natural state of salinity.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/07/11 - 08:55 am
In the AJC.. Grocery items

In the AJC..

Grocery items have gone up 6.2%....(no joke)

Cuts to military benefits possible ...sez Panetta...esp.in medical & retirement benefits....more base closings...

Toccoa sez they are NOT some big terrorist conglomerate...folks at the Waffle House say they never heard any talk of terror threats...that is an area of poverty & some are struggling....like millions of other folks.

Vito45
Vito45 11/07/11 - 09:07 am
I think it would be safe to

I think it would be safe to assume that over the millenia the Savannah river flows have waxed and waned with droughts. What happened to the backwaters then that suffered salt water intrusion? What happened to them when the river flooded and flushed fresh water into brackish areas? It evolved and adapted is what it did because it still stands today. Not so sure that angle is one worth fighting.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 09:19 am
Silting aside, if there is a

Silting aside, if there is a larger volume of water to maintain the same degree of salinity, the only way to do it is with more fresh water.

Vito brings up a good point, a river is a dynamic thing with up and down flows, moreso before the dam was built, but the salinity and character of the wetlands was dependent on periodic flooding which we don't have now. There was a balance reached with the marshland being flooded on occasion.

However, the Corps has expressed matters this way. The system of dams on the river has been there for decades creating historical lake and river levels. The banks of the river and lake, the coves and so on are permanent. The drinking water intake is dependent on these historical flows of fresh water as is the hundred million dollar shellfish industry.

The Corps realizes it's in everyone's best interest to keep things as they have been as much as possible depending on the amount of rain.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:21 am
Do you trust the Corps of

Do you trust the Corps of Engineers to manage "everyone's best interest?" There is no such thing as "everyone's" best interest.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 09:22 am
LL, I have no doubt that you

LL, I have no doubt that you know more about reactors than I do, but is the effect I described of ONE reactor pretty accurate? Is there any concern with two more? I've read the one at SRS adds a degree or two to the river below it and takes some of the water due to evaporation. Will the THREE (will they close the old one?) reactors at Vogtle do the same?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:30 am
If Riverman's worst fears are

If Riverman's worst fears are realized and the Savannah River gets a little saltier a few miles upstream because of the dredging, it would be a boon to the shrimping industry. There would be shrimp available for netting farther upstream than there are now because of the increased salinity.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:24 am
It is my understanding, RM,

It is my understanding, RM, that there are no functioning nuclear reactors at SRS at this time. If there are some reactor operators or engineers who can correct my impression, please let us know.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:27 am
It is the responsibility of

It is the responsibility of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to address environmental impacts of siting nuclear power plants. They will make the decision about adding two new reactors on the Savannah in Burke County. I predict they find that the benefits of the electricity are greater than the environmental drawbacks.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 09:40 am
About the shrimp, I could be

About the shrimp, I could be wrong on this, but it's my understanding shirmp production will be greatly harmed with less fresh water. I believe the reason is young shrimp are dependent on the marshlands which are dependent on a degree of fresh water. Although they spawn in salt water they move to the marshlands early to mature.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:48 am
Riverman wrote: Silting aside

Riverman wrote:

Silting aside . . . degree of salinity . . . fresh water.

Businessmen and politicians have decided that it would be a net benefit to society to deepen the Savannah harbor and take it farther up river. Such deepening will require dredging. Yes, there will be environmental changes, so there have to be environmental impact assessments done to make a cost-benefit analysis.

My point about the deepening is that the dredging will largely be removing silt that was deposited in the harbor and river mouth caused by upstream human development activities. Dredging it out will restore it to its more natural condition. The Corps of Engineers will not need to change their management activities at the three big reservoirs upstream as a result of the dredging at the harbor.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 11/07/11 - 09:46 am
Riverman wrote this important

Riverman wrote this important sentence:

Although they spawn in salt water they move to the marshlands early to mature.

Yes, shrimp move! They can react to changes in salinity by moving. They will find spawning grounds, food sources, and hiding places after the dredging. The conditions, being returned to a more natural state, will likely be more favorable than they are now.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 09:47 am
I've got no problem with

I've got no problem with deepening the port. I grew up in Charleston and that was routine. But this is a big project they are about to undertake. Whether it will affect water management up stream has to be determined. Maybe the effects already has been analyzed, I don't know.

If the Corps will not need to change their managment..fine. But why all this is pertinent is because the lake people want to reduce flows.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/07/11 - 09:53 am
Ah to debate, LL. Haha. Okay,

Ah to debate, LL. Haha. Okay, the shrimp will move...Makes me sad for some reason.

kmb413
kmb413 11/07/11 - 10:28 am
Since when was not recieving

Since when was not recieving the water bill mean that you don't have to pay your water bill? Come on, that is a monthly bill.

daphne3520
daphne3520 11/07/11 - 11:00 am
I definitely ain't "the

I definitely ain't "the brightest candle on the cake," but WHAT does 2 greats of country music have to do with these Rants & Raves? Sheesh!

AndrewLafa
AndrewLafa 11/07/11 - 11:22 am
I have a rant. This is for

I have a rant. This is for the AC staff and writers for their poor reporting of the candidates in the tuesday local election. We have an excellent candidate out here in Harlem, Mrs Melonie Dappie, and she has been outspoken against the wasteful spending of city hall and the need for fiscal responsibility. She knows that in order for progress to come to Harlem, the city needs to regain the trust of the community and fix the issues that have been neglected for years. She is the only candidate who built a website to let the people know what issues need to be addressed. As far as I know, she is the only candidate who spent the last couple months going door to door to talk to the citizens and hear their concerns. Now that is dedication.

Mrs.Dappie is a woman dedicated to bettering the lives of the residents of Harlem. She is not a professional politician, she is a philanthropist and citizen activist, the kind of person we should be electing instead of the slick as oil officials we have now. About a week ago, Mrs. Dappie wrote a brilliant letter to the editor presenting her views which she emailed to me before sending it to the AC/CCNT editors. So far it has not been printed. Why ACES? Why are you ignoring the most qualified person, the one who is most likely out of all them to bring some sanity back to Harlem? What are you afraid of?
It is extremely frustrating when I read ACES weekly admonishings of bad politics, but when we have a superior and honest candidate, they are pretty much completely ignored. If ACES publishes Mrs.Dappie's letter, I will eat my words, but at this late stage in the election, I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.
All of you on this comment board, please-if you know someone who lives in Harlem, direct them to Mrs.Dappie's website at www.dappieforharlemcouncil.com
Please, help us fight for our city to make it a better place to live. Thanks for listening.

Cadence
Cadence 11/07/11 - 12:43 pm
I don't know, daphne, but I

I don't know, daphne, but I have wondered, too, why people post you tube links on these comment pages. It makes for more junk to wade through. No way will I click on a link without knowing what it is or how it is relevant to the discussion. No time for that. I guess people like it though or they would report it as spam.