Pool accident kills Evans girl, 4

A 4-year-old Evans girl died after an accident in her swimming pool Thursday.

Joe Brice Kerns III, 35, called police just after 5 p.m. reporting that he found his daughter, Jayden, in the family swimming pool at their Rutledge Way home, according to a Columbia County Sheriff’s Office incident report.

Kerns said he left Jayden in the backyard playing with the hose while he went inside to change his baby’s diaper. When he returned three or four minutes later, he couldn’t find Jayden, the report stated.

After checking a neighbor’s house, Kerns said he remembered the swimming pool.

He found Jayden unresponsive in the pool and pulled her out. Kerns attempted CPR, but was unsure of exactly how to perform it, so he took Jayden to a neighbor’s house. A neighbor took over CPR while another called 911.

Emergency personnel arrived. Jayden was briefly revived and taken to Doctors Hospital. She was then transferred to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where she died, Sheriff’s Capt. Steve Morris said.

No foul play is suspected.

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 09:16 am
What can I say. Poor, poor

What can I say. Poor, poor child.

BamaMan
BamaMan 11/04/11 - 09:17 am
NEVER LEAVE A CHILD

NEVER LEAVE A CHILD UNATTENDED WHERE THERE IS A SWIMMING POOL!

georgia2005rebel
georgia2005rebel 11/04/11 - 09:46 am
So was it their pool or the

So was it their pool or the neighbor's pool? News 12 is saying it was the neighbor's.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 11/04/11 - 09:56 am
My heart goes out to this

My heart goes out to this family. I will be praying for you today.

Chillen
Chillen 11/04/11 - 10:04 am
I happened to be outside

I happened to be outside yesterday nearby and heard the sirens. By the sheer number of them I knew it wasn't good but I never expected this. Poor child and poor parents. I can't even imagine.

iLove
iLove 11/04/11 - 10:43 am
@Bama, lets not start that.

@Bama, lets not start that. Put yourself in the shoes of the family. . .would YOU want to hear that?!?

May God be with the family during this time. This life is only one half of the story, only if you BELIEVE.

My heart goes out to everyone involved. I can't imagine the pain.

TK3
TK3 11/04/11 - 05:35 pm
R.I.P. NOTE: Fence 5 to 6'

R.I.P.
NOTE: Fence 5 to 6' high with self closing gate being secured (having a lock) required around in-ground pools.

Ashleyn1
Ashleyn1 11/04/11 - 10:55 am
So sad...prayers for the

So sad...prayers for the family...

angel4u63
angel4u63 11/04/11 - 12:39 pm
My heart goes out to Jay and

My heart goes out to Jay and Mandra ..I know these two personally and their kids are their absolute life. So if anyone has any negative comments it would surely be appreciated if you would leave them off here. They are always so careful with their babies and would never put them in harms way.This is just a horrible accident.
I ask everyone who sees this to please just stop and say a little prayer for the family instead of judging them. I love you Mandra and Jay ..Mama Anne

Sweet son
Sweet son 11/04/11 - 12:46 pm
@angel4u63, right on the

@angel4u63, right on the money with your comments!!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/04/11 - 01:36 pm
I am so very sorry for this

I am so very sorry for this family in the loss of their child. For anyone who has anything but prayers and kind words to offer to the parents and loved ones who face the devastation and loss...I shall pray for you also. God even loves you. I pray pray pray it never happens to you. If you have not lost a child it is very hard for you to know the real pain. I can feel nothing but compassion for people who go through these things.

GodisSoGood
GodisSoGood 11/04/11 - 01:48 pm
It's easy for us to point

It's easy for us to point fingers, but something like this can happen in the blink of an eye. My prayers go out to the family, and my heart hurts for the father. Such a tragedy. No doubt little Jayden is resting in the presence of Jesus!

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 11/04/11 - 02:00 pm
Amen GodisSogood...and YES HE

Amen GodisSogood...and YES HE IS AWESOME!

heartbroken2310-7911
heartbroken2310-7911 11/04/11 - 11:30 pm
I cannot begin to describe

I cannot begin to describe how much this hurts me. To the parents, I am so sorry for your loss. My son Kameron drowned in July and so far each day has gotten worse.. To those who feel the need to leave negative comments during this awful time, you should be ashamed.. What heart I have left goes out to the family and all of hose close to little jayden.. I'm sure she's in the arms of the angels along with my baby boy..

david jennings
david jennings 11/05/11 - 09:38 am
I have never lost a child but

I have never lost a child but when we lost our Father and Brother in 1995 I felt so helpless that all I could do was put the entire thing in God' hands. Doing that really did help me, that bit of Faith lifted a a heavy burden and saw me through. My prayers that God will do the same for the parents of Jayden.

beachbud3@yahoo.com
beachbud3@yahoo.com 11/05/11 - 11:11 am
I grew up with this little

I grew up with this little girl's mother, had the privelege of seeing her christened. This family has always been protective and loving to these girls, please hold your tongue on rude comments, as they will not bring this child back. Her parents do however need as much prayer and compassion and they can possibly stand. This was a horrific accident. God has plans for us, which we cannot forsee. Your sympathies and prayers are appreciated for them. Thank You, Lauren B

Cadence
Cadence 11/05/11 - 08:17 pm
So very sorry. My prayers are

So very sorry. My prayers are with the loved ones but I know that only time will heal the pain.

Upscale addiction treatment facility opens

The facility off Bennock Mill Road is a cutting-edge residential addiction treatment facility, combining evidence-based treatment and wellness approaches like diet and personalized exercise ...