Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

RAVE FOR GOD and a friend named Street Cheshire. God put Street in the right place at the right time to save my life literally. I was choking and Street had to perform the Heimlich maneuver to dislodge the food. Please always take notice to those around you and don’t be afraid to help.

HERE’S A RANT to bullies, you make yourselves look bad. You aren’t in third grade anymore, you are in your 50s and are supposedly leaders. Live up to the press you give yourselves. There’s a big, bright spotlight on you now!

NICE TO KNOW there are places like Graystone Ranch who cater for “discarded” horses. Thank you and keep up the good work.

RANTS TO THE football player who hit the coach. There should be criminal charges filed, the kids need to have self control, no place for this kind of violence.

HANCOCK CENTRAL should be banned from ever participating in ANY sporting event by the GHSA. We continue to support Warren County and the dedicated staff and players.

I WANT TO THANK the man who stopped to assist in removing my car from Bobby Jones Expressway, last Saturday, when I had a medical problem. I didn’t get the chance to properly thank him or get his name, under the circumstances, but want him to know how much I appreciated his help. Also, thank you and God bless the medical personnel and the Richmond County deputy and first responders.

RAVES TO THE volunteers in our community. Show your gratitude for their time.

I HAVE APPLIED FOR over 40 jobs with the city of Augusta and I haven’t even been considered for an interview. I have an associate’s degree. I never get called back, but every time you look in the paper there is a city worker with drug charges or theft or something horrible. They don’t want honest people working there.

I SURE LIKE THE new size of the paper. I wish that it had been done earlier.

TO THE OWNER of the big white dog in Pinebrook Subdivision in Evans – Are you deaf? What will it take to shut that big white dog up; the police?

Augusta resident
Augusta resident 11/04/11 - 03:27 am
Unfortunately businesses get

Unfortunately businesses get a tax break for hiring criminals. You would have had a better chance at a job if you did a couple years in the joint instead of school. Sorry, I'm not trying to be funny, just stating the facts.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 11/04/11 - 03:56 am
To the last writer, you DO

To the last writer, you DO need to call the police and complain of disturbance of the peace. I did it and it worked. Too bad it has to get to that point, but just remember that the dog owner KNOWS that his dog is being loud..he just doesn't care about his neighbors. Another thing to think about is that, if you help to take care of it, you can be assured that there are other neighbors just like you who will appreciate the quiet.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/04/11 - 05:49 am
You're absolutely right JMO

You're absolutely right JMO the dog owner knows.
If my dog was barking constantly not only would i know it but it would drive me crazy as well.
I would never let my dog just sit there and bark knowing it was bothering my neighbors. Some people are too stupid to be pet owners. They're either oblivious, deaf or as JMO says, "They just don't care."

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:05 am
OK....You want to put

OK....You want to put Americans back to work...you won't have to occupy anything...just change your Christmas buying habits...this would bring millions back home where it belongs!

Christmas 2011 -- Birth of a New Tradition

As the holidays approach, the giant Asian
factories are kicking into
high gear to provide Americans with
monstrous piles of cheaply
produced goods -- merchandise that has been
produced at the expense of
American labor.

This year will be different. This year Americans will
give the gift of genuine concern for other Americans.
There is no longer an excuse that,
at gift giving time, nothing can be found that
is produced by American hands.

Oh.... Yes there is!

It is time to think outside the box, people.
Who says a gift needs to fit in a shirt box,
wrapped in Chinese produced wrapping paper?

Everyone -- yes

EVERYONE gets their hair cut. How about gift
certificates from your local American hair salon or barber?

Gym membership? It's appropriate for all ages who are thinking
about some health improvement.

Who wouldn't appreciate getting
their car detailed? Small, American
owned detail shops and car washes
would love to sell you a gift certificate or a book of gift
certificates.

Are you one of those extravagant givers who think
nothing of plunking down the Benjamins on a
Chinese-made flat-screenTV?
Perhaps that grateful gift receiver would like his driveway
sealed, or lawn mowed for the summer, or driveway
plowed all winter, or games at the local
golf course.

There are a gazillion owner-run
restaurants -- all offering gift
certificates. And, if your intended isn't the
fancy eatery sort, what about a half dozen
breakfasts at the local breakfast joint. Remember,
folks this isn't about big National chains -
this is about supporting
your home town Americans with their financial
lives on the line to keep their doors open.

How many people
couldn't use an oil change for their car, truck or
motorcycle, done at a shop run by the American
working guy?

Thinking about a heartfelt
gift for mom? Mom would LOVE the services
of a local cleaning lady for a day.

My computer could use a tune-up, and I KNOW I can
find some young guy who is struggling to get his
repair business up and running.

OK, you were looking for something more personal.

Local crafts people

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/04/11 - 07:53 am
Re: city of Augusta

Re: city of Augusta applicant, do not give up on school during this time. Go back and continue to enhance your resume by getting a higher degree while applying for jobs. I started with an Associates as well, but went back to school while working full time after a long period of complacency. I do have to wonder if you are putting enough time into your resume for each individual job if you have applied to 40 positions within one organization. Perhaps you have put in the necessary time, but it is the resume that gets you the interview, not necessarily your degree.

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 07:53 am
ALL education haven't

ALL education haven't plummeted. The young people I know have graduated with high scores and gone on to top colleges.
It might be that the true scores are now coming to light and they are just where they should have been before.

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 07:56 am
Dudeness.. To add to your

Dudeness.. To add to your comment. Your speech, dress and attitude has a lot to do with hiring.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/11 - 08:05 am
Good Morning America: MY

Good Morning America:

MY COMPARISON FOR THE DAY.....Makes me think of a Liberal and how they act.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:08 am
I have heard of some going in

I have heard of some going in looking for a job with flipflops & a baby on their hip....nojoke!

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/11 - 08:12 am
AN MY JOKE FOR THE DAY: In

AN MY JOKE FOR THE DAY:

In honor of the 44th President of the United States, Baskin-Robbins Ice Cream has introduced a new flavor: Barocky Road.

Barocky Road is a blend of half vanilla, half chocolate, and surrounded by nuts and flakes. The vanilla portion of the mix is not openly advertised and usually denied as an ingredient. The nuts and flakes are all very bitter and hard to swallow.

The cost is $92.84 per scoop...so out of a hundred dollar bill you are at least promised some CHANGE..!

When purchased it will be presented to you in a large beautiful cone, but after you pay for it, the ice cream is taken away and given to the person in line behind you at no charge.
You are left with an almost empty wallet, staring at an empty cone and wondering what just happened. Then you realize this is what "redistribution of wealth" is all about.

Aren't you just stimulated?

Dudeness
Dudeness 11/04/11 - 08:13 am
Indeed, allhans, the entire

Indeed, allhans, the entire package is taken into account in the interview. One has to be able to carry themselves in a professional manner and convince the company that they will not be an embarrassment to the office.

I have heard some crazy interview stories as well. I think many people have this notion that they will be hired simply because they filled out an application and do not realize that when you do not have a job, then your job is to market yourself to those who do the hiring. On the other hand, I would rather see the people come in looking like a mess if that is how they truly are since that gives me a good indication of what kind of employee they would be. Some of these people make it very easy to turn them down.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/11 - 08:15 am
Good Morning B4, anything new

Good Morning B4, anything new in America's Atlanta? Same Oh, Same Oh in Safe Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:15 am
No....not really Cgee....but

No....not really Cgee....but Perry & Christie could stimulate me next year...:)

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/04/11 - 08:16 am
"HAS ANYBODY NOTICED since

"HAS ANYBODY NOTICED since governments started these statewide, federal mandated tests, education results have ALL plummeted?"

Education results have not plummeted since the tests. Education results have been plummeting for 25 years or more and the tests just proved what everyone already knew. The only problem with the tests is that they are an embarrassment to our high dollar education system. Now that there is proof there is a problem we will choose to ignore it and go back to giving everyone a "PASS".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/11 - 08:21 am
allhans, interviewed a lot of

allhans, interviewed a lot of people in my time. The one that sticks out is one applying for a Locksmith job we had open. He first question was, "What is a Locksmith?"

My response is ""Next"

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:24 am
I'm waiting for my morning

I'm waiting for my morning paper right now Cgee....GOB must be flirting with the neighbors B4 bringing the dang thing in....

I'm still scratching my head after Tv news showed the so called terror group from Toccoa....can't hear-trouble walking---poor group of terror threats .....my dog would make a better terror threat.........
The people interviewed are floored that this has happened ....they probably say the same things we say on here at times ......we do it on a computer & they said stuff at the wafflehouse .......this wil lbe interesting as it plays out.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/04/11 - 08:27 am
I still interview some times,

I still interview some times, if you come befor me with rings in the ears, lips, nose and anyplace else...you have wasted your time. I guess that makes me a ring racist!

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 08:34 am
seen it.. G'morning. I saw

seen it.. G'morning. I saw your man Perry on John King last evening and he acquitted himself really well. I could easily vote for that Rick Perry.
Maybe, just maybe, he will continue to show his good side.

Jane18
Jane18 11/04/11 - 08:40 am
Hey seenitB4, most of your

Hey seenitB4, most of your suggestions I have been doing for years. You did give me a couple of ideas I had not thought of. Thanks..........

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:43 am
Jane...I have been buying

Jane...I have been buying gift certificates for years too....it works!!

allhans ...just give ole gun-toting country boy RickPerry some time & he will learn the program....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 08:57 am

America is beautiful....I think that everytime I'm driving around....but why do I feel we are a 1000 miles away from the greatness we have had in my younger days... we have to bring that goodness back!!

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 11/04/11 - 09:38 am
Good Morning my beautiful

Good Morning my beautiful seenitB4! I agree America is beautiful and it does our hearts good to see it and give God all the glory and gratitude of what He has given to us. So very much...that my cup runneth over and I am drinking out of the saucer!

SFB, That beautiful panoramic view from the Cooper River Bridge is unbelievable from the back of a Harley!!

Vito45, river, harley and sarge, I hope you all have a wonderful day.

This is for all of you...

iLove
iLove 11/04/11 - 09:59 am
"HAS ANYBODY NOTICED since

Everyone looks different. Everyone LEARNS differently.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/04/11 - 11:03 am
happychimer
19565
happychimer 11/04/11 - 12:11 pm
Willow about 1979 we went

Willow about 1979 we went across that Cooper River Bridge. It was narrow, and the screen fencing on the side made it possible to see too much! My husband was driving, and I told him we were almost to the end of the bridge. He said no, that we were almost half way across. I had a panic attack out of this world. I screamed and cried. I broke out in a sweat. My feet and fingers tingled, and I felt like I couldn't breathe. I heard echoes and my heart was racing. My husband told me to shutup; that I was scaring him. Our 2 sons were in the back seat laughing up a storm. I will not drive across a long bridge, and I hate bridges period.

bailmeout4
bailmeout4 11/04/11 - 12:22 pm
This whole top 1% of the

This whole top 1% of the richest people controlling most of the wealth is flawed. It sounds great as a media blurb or marketing campaign but when you try to analyze it, it doesnt make sense. Let's try a different example....The top 1% of students have better grades than the majority of students...duh!... The top 1% of the fattest people are heavier than the average person....Its your classic bell curve, there are people on both ends of the spectrum with the majority in the middle.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/04/11 - 12:27 pm

this itty bittybridge...happy??...It is beautiful.:)

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 12:40 pm
wondersnevercease..Is that

wondersnevercease..Is that the correct site? No Michael Moore.

allhans
allhans 11/04/11 - 12:43 pm
How about the low-lying

How about the low-lying bridge with water several inches deep during high tide. Creeps me out..

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 11/04/11 - 01:20 pm
try this one

try this one allhans

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.