Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

WITH ALL THE WORK at Julian Smith Casino and around the Milledge Road side of Lake Olmstead, why can’t the overgrown weeds be cut so you can see the lake when you drive by on Broad Street?

THE PROBLEM IS not that the top 1 percent don’t pay enough taxes; the problem is that the bottom 47 percent don’t pay any taxes. How about making them pay their fair share?

RANT TO THE parents of the screaming children at Logan’s Roadhouse, especially to those who didn’t see a problem with their kid hanging off the edge of our table.

HERMAN CAIN IS looking pretty good, but his 9-9-9 opens the door to more corruption from politicians. We … can never trust politicians. Cain should propose a Cut-Cut-Cut plan that cuts taxes, cuts spending, and cuts government size.

RANTS TO THE PAPER for the smaller size. Don’t like. Bring back the bigger paper.

A RANT TO THE people living in the Manchester neighborhood that told my children were too big to trick or treat. I think that if my kids are still school age and love the holiday then let them celebrate it; don’t judge my kids for what they love to do. At least they aren’t out robbing and shooting people or on the street corner doing drugs. Let my kids be kids.

THANKS TO THE idiot who put a dog biscuit with purple icing in my grandson’s trick-or-treat bag. Probably would not have hurt him but that is just gross and it scary to think that weirdo lives in the neighborhood.

HOUSE REPUBLICAN leaders are pursing job-destroying regulations, but in 2012, voters can help lift the cloud of uncertainty hanging over our nation’s job crisis.

BIG RANTS to the SRS Racers: I retired with 37 years and I never had to drive over 60 mph. I got to work just a few cars behind you people doing 70 mph. I’m still in the race because I need to get to Silver Bluff Road to go to my swamp hunting club. If a black Z71 hits my Purple Heart tag white Z71, I will buy a new red Z71 and have a second retirement plan.

BIG RANT TO the Richmond County Sheriff’s Office for not being able to arrest a home invader in Pepperidge subdivision. The neighborhood knows who this young punk is.

countyman
20724
countyman 11/01/11 - 11:47 pm
Rant #6.. I don't think

Rant #6.. I don't think juniors and seniors should be going trick or treating. The disposable income in South Augusta is south of Tobacco rd heading towards the city limits of Hephzibah. Diamond Lakes, Goshen, Willis Foreman rd, Brown rd, Old Waynesboro rd, etc. If you live in Manchester then your kids more than likely have two parents.. Manchester is one of the best neighborhoods in South Augusta and it's located inside of Diamond Lakes. There's no need to rob anybody when your parents can afford to buy you nice things..

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/01/11 - 11:51 pm
Countyman puts Trick or Treat

Countyman puts Trick or Treat in terms such as "disposable income in South Augusta, south of Tobacco Rd heading towards the city limits of Hephzibah." That took a really creative mind.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/02/11 - 04:20 am
"THANKS TO THE idiot who put

"THANKS TO THE idiot who put a dog biscuit with purple icing in my grandson’s trick-or-treat bag. Probably would not have hurt him but that is just gross and it scary to think that weirdo lives in the neighborhood"

Well let me say that in this day and age if you let your children go trick or treating to a house where they don't know the people personally then I don't think much of you as a parent. With all the unstable people out there this you're lucky it was just a dog biscuit. I personally think this is a CRIME. Halloween was much different 40 years ago when I was a kid. My wife and I would never let our kids go door to door. Thier friends get together for a big party every year supervised by different parents every year thereby giving many parents the night off. Letting your child go up to a strangers door for candy is like playing russian roulette with your child.
Call me a stick in the mud but this world has gotten much too dangerous.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 08:02 am
It is nice to know that the

It is nice to know that the children of the ranter is not out breaking the law but neither should they be trick or treating if they are out of elementary school.
I don't live in her area but I had several middle school aged kids ring my door bell at 8:30. I told them nicely that t & t was over and they should be home, not out on the streets.
I was doing what the parents should have been doing.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/02/11 - 08:12 am
Good one allhans!

Good one allhans!

dichotomy
dichotomy 11/02/11 - 08:20 am
"The disposable income in

"The disposable income in South Augusta is south of Tobacco rd"

Yep.....we send it downtown and they dispose of it. Apparently much of it goes to build Paul Simon and "associates" hotels, TEE centers, and parking decks. I don't know where the rest if it goes since they charge us extra for things like garbage service. I know it doesn't come back to us in the same ratio that it is taken from us. Oh yeh....can I get in on some of those "land swap" deals. I've got some high dollar "residential" tax valued land south of Spirit Creek that I'd like to swap for a parking deck or something. Just pencil it in the next big contract. Nobody will notice.

Riverman1
Riverman1 11/02/11 - 08:31 am
Dichotomy, your post puts it

Dichotomy, your post puts it in perspective and as I think more about it, I'm not about to excuse Bill Jackson's role in all this. They wouldn't swap land with Joe Blow in such a convoluted deal. They are taking EVERYTHING the outlying county generates and using it downtown where THEY have interests.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/11 - 08:43 am
Good Morning America, Cobalt

Good Morning America, Cobalt Here.

I would like to shed a little comparison light on Rant 2, 4 & 8. I know it sounds like a joke but it isn't.

NEW VERISON OF THE "ANT AND THE GRASSHOPPER"

MODERN
VERSION

The ant works hard
in the withering heat and the rain all summer long, building his house
and laying up supplies for the winter.

The grasshopper thinks the ant
is a fool and laughs and dances and plays the summer away.

Come winter, the shivering grasshopper
calls a press conference and demands to know why the ant should be
allowed to be warm and well fed while he is cold and starving.

CBS, NBC, PBS, CNN,
and ABC show up to
provide pictures of the shivering grasshopper
next to a video of the ant
in his comfortable home with a table filled with food.
America is stunned by the sharp contrast.

How can this be, that in a country of such wealth, this poor grasshopper
is allowed to suffer so?

ACORN stages
a demonstration in front of the ant's
house Then Rev. Jeremiah Wright
has the group kneel down to pray for the grasshopper's sake,

while he damns the ants.

President Obama condemns the ant and blames
President Bush 43, President Bush 41, President Reagan, Christopher Columbus, and the Pope
for the grasshopper's plight.

Nancy Pelosi & Harry Reid
exclaim in an interview with Larry King that the ant has
gotten rich off the back of the grasshopper, and both call for an immediate tax hike on the ant to make him pay his fair share.

Finally, the EEOC drafts the Economic Equity &
Anti-Grasshopper Act retroactive to the beginning of
the summer.

The story ends as we see the grasshopper
and his free-loading friends finishing up the last bits of the ant's food while the government house he is in, which, as you recall, just happens to be the ant's old house, crumbles around them because the grasshopper doesn't maintain it.

The ant has disappeared in the snow, never to be seen again.

The grasshopper is found dead in a drug related incident, and the house, now abandoned, is taken over by a gang of spiders who terrorize the ramshackle, once prosperous and peaceful, neighborhood.

The entire Nation collapses bringing the rest
of the free world with it.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/11 - 09:04 am
Sorry AC, didn't realize that

Sorry AC, didn't realize that was against the law too. Won't do it again.

dstewartsr
20389
dstewartsr 11/02/11 - 09:27 am
CG: True that --as far as it

CG: True that --as far as it goes. The grasshopper's house (formerly the ant's) goes into receivership and foreclosure, so the insect bank goes to Mother Nature and demands to be compensated. As summer arrives, half of all the ants, beetles and earthworms (the worker species) produce is confiscated to pay the bank and to lay up supplies for an every-increasing horde of grasshoppers who now are being fed and housed by the goverrnment, not only in winter, but year round. Several grasshoppers rise to prominence by declaiming the injustice of the system-- to the GRASSHOPPERS and demonizing the ants, et al, for not contributing enough cheerfully to their unfortunate grasshopper neighbors.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/11 - 09:20 am
dstewartsr, This one ended up

dstewartsr, This one ended up under Oct 31st R&R.

dstewartsr

Wednesday, Nov. 2 8:55 AM
new

Ignore user

Latest rumour: President Obama had planned a press conference on Halloween to announce that all the trick or treaters who got dressed up and walked their neighborhoods getting candy will have to share their candy with all the kids who stayed home and did nothing.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 11/02/11 - 09:32 am
Rant 10, I just feel there is

Rant 10, I just feel there is more to that issue than what you wrote?

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 09:35 am
cg..I hope they don't come

cg..I hope they don't come face to face with the 10 year olds.

allhans
allhans 11/02/11 - 09:41 am
The story of the ant and

The story of the ant and grasshopper is true even in this progressive (aghhh) society.
Failing to teach children self-reliance is the greatest tragedy of modern man.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 11/02/11 - 12:38 pm
Cobalt that was funny as you

Cobalt that was funny as you know what!
It was perfect!
I'm still laughing! Unfortunetly it pretty much sums it up and that's scary!

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/02/11 - 01:25 pm
Cobalt...That is funny about

Cobalt...That is funny about the ant & grasshopper..true too.

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/02/11 - 01:27 pm
Home Depot will create a call

Home Depot will create a call center in Kennesaw with 700 jobs eventually.....starting in 2012......good for them..

seenitB4
seenitB4 11/02/11 - 01:28 pm
Ac is holding a post.... It

Ac is holding a post....
It sez,.....Home Depot will create 700 jobs at a call center in Kennesaw Ga...in 2012...great.

happychimer
happychimer 11/02/11 - 07:34 pm
I don't see the story on here

I don't see the story on here about the 2 month old baby in Thomson. The father called 911, but when the ambulance arrive, they refused to take the baby to the hospital. Family drove the baby to the hospital and waited about 2 hrs. in ER. When a dr saw the baby, he ordered the baby air lifted to Augusta, but the baby died there before it could be air lifted.

fftaz71
fftaz71 11/02/11 - 08:50 pm
Who cares how old someone is

Who cares how old someone is when they trick or treat? Have we gotten that crochety about things that now trick or treat should be something reserved for elementary school kids?? Let the kids be kids...I trick or treated until I was 21...so did my cousins. Although when I was older it was only a few stops at friends houses. I still love Halloween...I dress up, I give out candy, I decorate the heck out of our house and if I wasnt so old Id still go out trick or treating if I could.
Shrimp, my parents let me go to houses within the neighborhood but I was never allowed to eat any candy until they inspected every piece. When I have children, I will do the same. The memories of coming home, dumping all my candy on the floor and mom and dad (and me when I was older) looking through it for suspect candy are actually fun memories. My parents explained to me what was wrong with every suspect piece of candy and why it had to be thrown out. These are times that you use as "teachable moments" and times to bond with your kids. Im not a party type of person, but if that is how you choose to celebrate, thats cool too...its what suits you best. I will take my kids out trick or treating and then inspect all their candy at the end of the night...and sample too. :-) Theres more good people in this world than wierdos....just try to keep that in mind. We just never hear about the good folk...its too "blase".
RE the Thomson story..I just saw it on FB on WRDW not too long ago so it probably didnt make it to the paper in time to be printed. It will be there tomorrow though Im sure...:-)
Yall have a good night!!

Pu239
Pu239 11/02/11 - 09:29 pm
I will "RELISH" the day when

I will "RELISH" the day when these irritating ads are a just an unpleasant memory....

Patty-P
Patty-P 11/02/11 - 09:34 pm
Rant #10....I know the

Rant #10....I know the feeling.

KSL
KSL 11/02/11 - 09:43 pm
Was it a link, Seenit? They

Was it a link, Seenit? They are totally paranoid now about links posted by targeted posters.

KSL
KSL 11/02/11 - 09:46 pm
CG, I'm surprised Obama

CG, I'm surprised Obama didn't demand that the T or T'ers didn't have to share with him, considering M O's demands on eating habits.

Now could someone explain to me why she is not a poster babe for her demands?

happychimer
happychimer 11/02/11 - 09:46 pm
KSL it must have been her

KSL it must have been her 1:27 post.

KSL
KSL 11/02/11 - 09:53 pm
HC, I don't get to look in as

HC, I don't get to look in as much as I used to. This is the first time in days.

happychimer
happychimer 11/02/11 - 10:07 pm
KSL I enjoy reading the

KSL I enjoy reading the stories and some of comments.I don't get in on the hot topics.

happychimer
happychimer 11/02/11 - 10:08 pm
good night everyone.

good night everyone.

Search of alleged dealer's home found drugs, firearms