Ghostly hauntings reported at Augusta sites

The typewriter keys click and clack, but there’s not a soul in sight to explain the eerie sounds and phantom movements at the old Cotton Exchange building at Reynolds and Eighth streets. A ghost named Isabella is sending shivers up the spines of bank tellers in the building, which houses a branch of Georgia Bank and Trust.

Back | Next
Janis Ann Parks chats with Augusta Ghost Trolley tour operator Michael Wolff on the grounds of Cedar Grove Cemetery, which had a grisly connection with the Medical College of Georgia during the 1850s.  MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF
MICHAEL HOLAHAN/STAFF

In recent months, odd things keep happening. A ghost won’t leave the workers alone. She tried to communicate from the typewriter, now locked in a back room, unplugged and paperless. Chairs swivel in circles, and computers appear possessed until tellers call out for Isabella to stop her hauntings.

“I got spooked out with the typewriter,” said Emmie Nowell, a customer service representative. “There are a lot of things that can’t be explained.”

Michael Wolff, the operator of the Augusta Ghost Trolley tour company, doesn’t know why Isabella lurks around the Cotton Exchange.

“We don’t know why she’s associated with this bank. One of the ladies said it’s her way of getting back at the men who used to work there,” Wolff said.

Hauntings are connected to several places in Augusta, including ghost-tour stops at the Ezekiel Harris House, Sibley Mill and the childhood home of Woodrow Wilson. The stories, many with historical ties to the Revolution and the Civil War, have been passed on through generations and written in books about Augusta hauntings.

Recently, people have come forward with stories of their own scary ghost encounters on Broad Street. At the Empire Building at Broad and 12th streets, a nighttime janitorial worker reports that the room’s temperature drops before she hears footsteps and feels a ghost aggressively touch her, Wolff said.

Another ghost-tour stop, the Old Medical College of Georgia building on Telfair Street, serves up creepy tales for visitors and passers-by. An excavation uncovered nearly 600 bodies that had been interred in the basement walls after they were used as cadavers for medical students, according to Janis Ann Parks, the author of Gravely Mistaken: Tales of Medicine, Mishaps and Body Snatching in Augusta, Ga.

In 1854, grave-robber Grandison Harris lifted the bodies from Cedar Grove Cemetery off Watkins Street. According to legend, a student slipped into one of the body bags and called out to Harris, who was known as “Resur­rection Man.” Spooked that he was being haunted, Har­ris hit the student in the head with a shovel and buried him in Cedar Grove, possibly still alive.

“It’s pretty creepy, all the bodies that were lifted and the superstition that surrounds it,” Parks said.

STAYING SAFE ON HALLOWEEN

Tips to keep you safe during trick-or-treating:

• Children younger than 12 should walk and cross streets with an adult.

• Always walk on sidewalks or paths. Cross at street corners, using traffic signals and crosswalks.

• Decorate costumes and bags with reflective tape. Choose light-colored and properly fitting costumes.

• Check treats for signs of tampering before children eat them.

• Drivers should slow down and be alert in residential neighborhoods.

Source: Safe Kids USA

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/31/11 - 12:44 am
I've never seen a ghost, UFO,

I've never seen a ghost, UFO, Big Foot, Lock Ness type monster or anything out of the ordinary. Okay, I still get scared thinking one is going to jump out at me now and then.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 10/31/11 - 05:22 am
Maybe Isabella was turned

Maybe Isabella was turned down for a loan in a previous life and is angry about it so she torments the clerks at the bank.

Techfan
Techfan 10/31/11 - 05:38 am
We did get some funky photos

We did get some funky photos on a ghost tour in Savannah. One sort of made me rethink my skepticism.

southern2
southern2 10/31/11 - 05:57 am
Who ya gonna

Who ya gonna call....GHOSTBUSTERS.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 10/31/11 - 07:15 am
I set our radio to 88.3 FM

I set our radio to 88.3 FM Christian rock and we have never had another problem.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 10/31/11 - 08:17 am
I don't think I believe in

I don't think I believe in ghosts...but if somthing was trying to talk to me through a typewriter I would keep it plugged in and ready to listen to what it has to say...but thats just me.

Mugatu
Mugatu 10/31/11 - 11:16 am
Clearly this is just an agent

Clearly this is just an agent of Fringe division attempting to communicate from the alternate universe.

404_HXC
404_HXC 10/31/11 - 11:44 am
No such things as ghosts.

No such things as ghosts. The Bible says when you die you go to heaven or you go to hell, there is no in-between.

lolacookster
lolacookster 10/31/11 - 11:48 am
There was a movie about a

There was a movie about a woman turned down for loan--Drag Me to Hell! Perhaps, not so coincidental--boogity, boogity, boogity!

Lkn4Ans
Lkn4Ans 10/31/11 - 12:34 pm
I agree with

I agree with Wondersnevercease...I would keep the typewriter plugged in and ready to listen. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I would like to know the rest of the story in regards to why the Old Medical College interred nearly 600 bodies in the basement walls!?!? One last comment to 404; the way I understand it is this: the bible says refers to death "as sleep" and tells us that one day we will "awaken." Some will awaken to receive eternal life, and others will awaken to be destroyed in eternal damnation. John 5:28-29. However, that begs the question...how can one wreak havoc and go a haunting or typing...when they are asleep (i.e. dead)? LoL!

IsAmericaFree
IsAmericaFree 10/31/11 - 12:57 pm
Hey 404 and Lkn, the nuns

Hey 404 and Lkn, the nuns taught us there was this thing called purgatory. I politely pointed out that the Bible says there is Heaven and Hell. If there is a purgatory, we must be living in it now. My knuckles STILL hurt on really cold days!

southern2
southern2 10/31/11 - 01:18 pm
Let the ghost plug in their

Let the ghost plug in their own typewriter.

bclicious
bclicious 10/31/11 - 04:20 pm
I've got a ghost story for

I've got a ghost story for guys, and it's pretty scary if you think about it.

It is once rumored that the Augusta Richmond County Commission was a functional government with diligent commissioners. But ever since certain people have taken over, things have been a little spooky wooooooooooo chi, chi, chi, ha, ha, ha. Cutbacks, cutbacks, cutbacks, furloughs, furloughs, furloughs.

happychimer
happychimer 10/31/11 - 06:49 pm
I scanned a death certificate

I scanned a death certificate and saved it to my husband's computer. Months later, from my computer, I printed something for my husband, and another paper printed. It was the death certificate of my great grandfather's brother that I scanned months earlier. I did not try to print it. I looked at it and thought what did I miss? A few clicks of my mouse and I found my great great grandfather's civil war records. Whether it was a ghost or an angel, it happened. That is not the first time strange things have happened to me.