Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers about the late Deputy J.D. Paugh, who was buried Thursday:

AS A TRIBUTE TO Deputy James Paugh, I think we are justified in making some suggestions.

From now on, two deputies should be stationed in every car or one deputy with a dog. Also, mandatory backup deputies on traffic stops.

Where do we get the money to hire more deputies?

All drug-bust money goes to direct hires. Ninety percent of speeding violations goes to direct hiring, and the remaining 10 percent goes to the deputy involved.

I think this is justified for such a tragic loss.

THIS IS A RAVE about Deputy J.D. Paugh and in reference to the editorial cartoon in the paper.

Unbeknownst to anyone other than those who attend the monthly Neighborhood Watch meetings at Millbrook Pointe apartments (formerly Merrick Place), Deputy Paugh had organized along with other tenants a Trunk-or-Treat in the apartment community for Halloween.

That just goes to show the kind of man he was. He cared about others, the children in the neighborhood, in particular.

So the editorial cartoon touched me along with many others in the apartment community who knew him.

J.D. WAS WHAT all citizens wanted in a police officer: willing to help you when he could, and went out of his way when needed.

Both his family and the entire law enforcement family have lost a great man.

A SALUTE TO Deputy J.D. Paugh as a man of courage and strength who loved his family, friends, fellow deputies and public safety officers. Rest in peace good and faithful servant, a job well done.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and friends of Deputy Paugh.

THIS IS A RAVE to The Augusta Chronicle for recognizing Deputy Paugh. What a loss to the community.

Can we do an additional day of recognition?

I’m sure there have been many comments called in. Continue the good work.

RAVE TO RICK MCKEE for the illustration on 10-26-11 in memory of and as a salute to Deputy J.D. Paugh. I cut this out and taped it on my fridge to remind me of those who work and care for our safety. Heart-touching!

THANKS AND appreciation to all law enforcement officers who protect us from harm and put their lives on the
line for our safety. Thanks also to the firefighters who risk their lives in the line of duty. I salute you!

WE ARE PRAYING for your family along with the Paugh family. All are suffering. May our Lord give you peace and strength through this horrible time. You have also lost someone you loved.

whooney65
whooney65 10/28/11 - 08:13 am
Well Said by all!!

Well Said by all!!

shenyse86
shenyse86 10/28/11 - 08:19 am
Was a really nice send off

Was a really nice send off for someone who it seems was born to help others. My uncle was RCSD for YEARS. The outpouring of support at his funeral (not to mention the funerals of both of my grandparents) was unbelieveable. My question though, has anyone thought that there are TWO mothers, fathers, families, etc. who have lost sons. While the young man who committed the murder is obviously guilty, it's a shame that his family is suffering as well. Blessings to the family of the officers, but blessings to the family of the young man as well.

allhans
allhans 10/28/11 - 08:28 am
I agree in principle with

I agree in principle with rant# 1, but since this particular deputy was off duty, he was alone. Hind sight is good, but we have to go with what WE think is best at the time, and that is what Deputy Paugh did.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 09:01 am
News from AJC.... Feds may

News from AJC....

Feds may deport 1,256 Ga inmates ---strain of housing is costing millions ..
Atlanta's rich-poor gap is widest in the country---WOW
Dow Jones jumped 340points.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/28/11 - 09:07 am
Dow's down 30 today. What do

Dow's down 30 today. What do you mean deport them? Out of the country? No way. Who would take them?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 09:12 am
river,.....They are not asked

river,.....They are not asked politely if they want to return to their home country...they will just have to go home...
Mexico--1319
Germany--184
Jamaica--113
Guatemamla--93
ElSalvador--90
Hondurus--89
Why wouldn't they .....they are in JAIL now..

Vito45
Vito45 10/28/11 - 09:17 am
Looking at those numbers just

Looking at those numbers just from Ga, can't even a blind man see that we need to clamp down on immigration of all forms, but particularly the points of entry where they sneak in? WE CANNOT AFFORD THEIR CHEAP LABOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BamaMan
BamaMan 10/28/11 - 09:20 am
It just breaks my heart what

It just breaks my heart what these families are going through. As a parent, I can't imagine burying a child. My prayers are with all of you.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 09:23 am
vito....I have had 3

vito....I have had 3 contractors tell me until we change the politics in DC we will have that cheap labor in the USA...I doubted them BUT look at the crops dying in the fields...when people can get $$$ while staying at home doing 0 & watching tv.....they will.
The Dems want the vote---the Reps.want the cheap labor..

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/28/11 - 09:26 am
SeenIt said, "Why wouldn't

SeenIt said, "Why wouldn't they .....they are in JAIL now.."

Ha, true. I wonder if we could send them to Iran and watch what happens to them on Youtube?

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 10/28/11 - 09:29 am
DOW's up.....DOW's down!

DOW's up.....DOW's down! Sounds a lot like gasoline prices! Too bad we can't control either of these.

Great tributes to Officer J.D. Paugh! I am proud of our community for the wonderful showing of support for this fine officer and his family. I noted that contributions were requested for Deputy Paugh. I can't help but wonder about whether he had insurance through the Sheriff's Dept, and/or, whether insurance is optional or mandatory? Either way, we made a contribution. Whatever the requested contributions are for, I hope the numbers grow in support of this fine Deputy, who paid the supreme price for the safety of the community.

Vito45
Vito45 10/28/11 - 09:30 am
Seenit, since at the end of

Seenit, since at the end of the day the taxpayers are ultimately paying the freight for our immigration policies, I should thank you all for helping me pay for my new house. It was built 75% with Mexican labor, so the contractor was able to save me money.If it weren't for the illegals you are subsidizing I would have had to pay more. Thank You!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 09:32 am
river is wanting to show a

river is wanting to show a sadistic side by sending them to Iran...& putting it on youtube....heheheh....
Yep...wb is right.....bad boys ring my bell!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 09:38 am
Well vito......I can say the

Well vito......I can say the same here---I chastised my contractor on the roof job for not hiring more Americans---He said he has tried & even will go to pick them up for a job--- didn't work he said---he contributes to the homeless in downtown Atlanta & offers jobs......he said freebies keep many from work.. we have a cycle of dependency going on in the US....since the Johnson days

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/28/11 - 09:49 am
Vito & seenitB4, Trades are

Vito & seenitB4, Trades are dying. Americans don't apply, if they do, most won't work. Mexican labor gets it done and quickly, also they are quite pleasant to be around in the process. Many are very talented. Never seen harder working people. They always show up when promised and are appreciative. Never whine and try to "borrow" money from you. Wish I had a couple of them here this morning:)

Vito45
Vito45 10/28/11 - 09:59 am
Oh, I had no problem with the

Oh, I had no problem with the work ethic, nor quality of work; these guys work from see to can't see, Saturdays and Sundays too.

However, I have a HUGE problem with the fact their presence skews our wage structure down for people in that wage range, not to mention the tax base loss, free education and health care, etc. etc. We save 10% getting that roof put on or that yard work done; but the taxpayers pick up billions and billions on the backside as costs for having them here. Trades are dying because the American worker is trying to compete with them on an unlevel playing field.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/28/11 - 10:01 am
Good Morning SeenitB4, here

Good Morning SeenitB4, here is your song from me to get you going for the weekend!

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 10:03 am
WB just hit it on the

WB just hit it on the head....I will have to say the same thing here...they are pleasant-they do work--they are on time---they clean up their mess--most know a trade---they won't even take breaks...SOOO what is the answer.....

BTW...India just had a slumdog millionaire...for real.....Sushi Kumar was making $120.00 amonth as office worker & played the Millionaires game show & WON@!!! He didn't even own a tv...he had to go to neighbors house & watch tv....& some "think" they do w/o here.

allhans
allhans 10/28/11 - 10:11 am
oops ?

oops
?

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 10:12 am
HIYA WB.....That woman can

HIYA WB.....That woman can sing....I'mAlive now....good thing too because I have lots to do....hubby did help with planting bulbs & flowers for me yesterday......so today I will treat him to Bonefish...

So vito....What is the answer to illegals???? We know darn well we won't bus them back home.....too many for that. They will be voting in the future ....does that mean Dems will have a free hand.?

allhans
allhans 10/28/11 - 10:13 am
Why say Republicans want

Why say Republicans want cheap labor? I assure you that Democarts are using as much or more than Republicans.
Check out the chicken/meat packing plants, etc.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/28/11 - 10:18 am
Vito, Mi amigo no consigue

Vito,
Mi amigo no consigue ningún argumento en el pago de impuestos / beneficio para los problemas de nuestro país, pero te puedo decir que en nuestra línea de trabajo, los estadounidenses se nos alza, poniendo de trabajo inferiores a cabo, a aparecer en sus propios términos, la gestión de sus negocios y pasando mal sobre sus problemas para nosotros. Mano de obra mexicana ha obligado a muchos de ellos para encontrar nuevas formas de operar de manera más justa y eficiente.

InChristLove
InChristLove 10/28/11 - 10:18 am
To the ranter who wants 2

To the ranter who wants 2 deputies in every car/one with a dog, and all the drug-bust money to go to hire new deputies. Although this concept might seem appealing it won’t work. Most of your drug bust are small time and drug-bust money is tied up as evidence until the case has been disposed of…..could be months, could be a year or two depending on the court system. Once you hire these new deputies then how do you sustain their salaries (although I know it’s not much). 90% of speeding violations go to direct hire and remaining 10% to the deputy…..then how do you pay for the services that this money originally went for? The concept is great but in reality I don’t see how this would work. If we rob Peter to pay Paul then eventually Paul is in the same shape Peter was in earlier.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/28/11 - 10:24 am
Or, just enjoy the song,

Or, just enjoy the song, Vito:)

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 10/28/11 - 10:26 am
seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 10:36 am
My man Perry said.... The

My man Perry said....

The Lone Star State Republican said, "But in the state of Texas, if you come into our state and you kill one of our children, you kill a police officer, you're involved with another crime and you kill one of our citizens, you will face the ultimate justice in the state of Texas, and that is, you will be executed."

Now I agree with that statement.......I think most people would agree
that the officers killer deserved the same...suicide answered that.

Start saying President Perry...& try to say it with a smile....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/28/11 - 10:49 am
Our goal is to displace the

Our goal is to displace the entrenched powers in Washington, restore the rightful balance between the state and federal government.
Rick Perry

Our party cannot be all things to all people. It can't be. Our loudest opponents on the left are never going to like us so let's stop trying to curry favor with them.
Rick Perry

Our shared conservative values, our belief in the individual is the great hope of our nation.
Rick Perry

Our work is before us. It cannot be passed to future legislatures and must not be passed to future generations. May we boldly seize the moment with singular unity. And may we build a Texas of unlimited possibility.
Rick Perry

Reforming public education, cutting property taxes, fixing adult and child protective services and funding our budget can all occur when Democrats and Republicans engage in consensus and cooperation - not cynicism and combat.
Rick Perry

Some quotes of Rick Perrys...of course we will hear his goofs on the news....they will try to barbecue him in every way.
Don't let the bobbleheads decide who is our next President...pleeeze

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 10/28/11 - 11:07 am
Deputy Paughs murder was a

Deputy Paughs murder was a crying shame. Although some are praying for the wannabe mass murderer’s family i think an investigation into who knew what when should be conducted. It is my over 30 yrs of experience those closest to murderers like this knew they were a ticking time bomb but for their own self interest, and lazyness keep the ticking time bomb a secret until it blows up and kills our finest. We can no longer allow our finest to be murdered by someone who is enabled and protected by friends and family then they just fade into the woodwork when they would have been able to prevent this if they had told the truth about this man’s anger and drinking problems and the fact he had bought a weapon used to murder people. Until we hold those closest to murderers like this to account for hiding the fact this guy was set to go off we will continue losing those we cannot afford to lose. As a former suicide hotline operator who never lost a single suicide or had anyone else killed by those wanting to commit suicide sometimes it was MY DUTY to alert the authorities about a clear and present danger so i can say those closest ARE accountable and they need to stop protecting the ticking time bombs. Remember the life you save may be your own if you are protecting a ticking time bomb the most likely people these people will kill is their friends and family. We’d like to know who gave him the liquor that the girlfriend knew would make this murderer insanely violent. An investigation should be conducted for the public’s safety. Birds of a feather flock together, who ELSE are they hiding and when will they go off? We need to STOP [filtered word] footing around and START saving peoples lives.

allhans
allhans 10/28/11 - 11:04 am
I am still trying to get

I am still trying to get Perry to shape up, if only he could hear me.
He can NOT duck the debates, it will hurt him something awful
After all, the nominee won't be able to duck a debate with Obama.

Taylor B
Taylor B 10/28/11 - 11:19 am
I know we dont always agree

I know we dont always agree on this page, and I have been into some fairly rough arguements, but I have a challenge for each and every one of you. Lets show our public service folks out there we care. Whether its buying a lunch, a coke, or just a simple thank you. Everyone should have enough time to do this, if only just once. Thanks, folks!

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen