News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Lady Antebellum to perform, receive local honor Friday

The Lady Antebellum concert Friday in Evans is akin to a celebration – the triumphant return of hometown heroes.

Back | Next
Tony Dejoie and his daughter Gabrille, 6, go for a walk in Evans Town Center Park.   Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff
Zach Boyden-Holmes/Staff

Band members Dave Haywood and Charles Kelley grew up in Columbia County and belong to the 2000 class of Lakeside High School. To honor that connection, county officials named the new Evans Town Center Park’s performance venue the Lady Antebellum Pavilion.

Gates at the park open at 4 p.m. Friday and the concert starts at 6 p.m. Lady A is expected to take the stage at 8 p.m., following shows from opening acts Stewart & Winfield and Corey Crowder.

During the show, county officials will unveil a plaque dedicating the pavilion to the band. Then, the group will launch into a mostly acoustic set.

“It’s supposed to be an acoustic performance, but they are bringing their backup band,” said Keela Colombraro, community events specialist.

“It’s not quite as acoustic as we thought it would be, but it still won’t be a full-blown concert,” she said. “It still will have an acoustic feel to it.”

The bands popularity has grown over the past decade.

After moving a few years ago to Nashville, Tenn., with aspirations of becoming songwriting successes, Haywood and Kelley met Hillary Scott and formed Lady Antebellum.

On the strength of such mega-hits as Love Don’t Live Here and Need You Now, the trio have sold out venues throughout the U.S., won multiple Grammy and Country Music Association awards, and even enjoyed crossover success on the pop music charts.

They recently released their third studio album, Own the Night, and are planning a tour, which includes a May 22 concert in Augusta.

Lady Antebellum’s show is the second concert held at the park, which officially opened Saturday. But many see this performance as a breakthrough for Columbia County.

County Commission Chairman Ron Cross says promoters for some major acts already have expressed interest in performing at the pavilion.

“They say the venue could support just about anybody we wanted to bring,” Cross said.

Plans are in the works to bring many concerts to the venue next year, he said.

Among those concerts officials hope to book is one by Josh Kelley, a pop and country musician, and brother to Charles. The stage in the Lady Antebellum Pavilion is named for him.

“We had thought about dedicating the stage for Josh the same night as Lady Antebellum, but decided to wait,” Colombraro said. “We’d like to do it when he can be there to perform.”

DON’T HAVE A TICKET? DON’T WORRY

Lady A fans won’t necessarily need a ticket to enjoy the show.

“I guarantee there’s going to be a lot of that,” Columbia County Community Events Specialist Keela Colombraro said of fans crowding around the fringes of the park on Evans Town Center Boulevard to hear the concert.

“We had talked about blocking off the street, but we decided that it’s a community park ... and people are welcome do that,” Colombraro said. “We decided the more the merrier.”

Columbia County officials expect the Evans Town Center Park to reach its 5,000-person capacity on Friday for the Lady Antebellum concert.

PARKING LOT CREATED FOR THE SHOW

To accommodate the numerous vehicles, the Marshall Square field across Evans Town Center Boulevard from the park will be turned into a makeshift parking lot for the event.

Motorists will be charged a $5 fee. The lot can be accessed from Evans Town Center Boulevard and North Belair Road.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 10/26/11 - 08:36 pm
This is great for Columbia

This is great for Columbia County although, I would like to see the county officials operate fairly with the future tickets. Too many were held back; they should all be sold on a first come first serve basis.

wildman
wildman 10/27/11 - 04:36 am
It's a great park and we

It's a great park and we should be proud of these two young men but to name the place after them is a bit of a stretch. I enjoy the music but like WB said above the tickets are for those in the know or who know someone. Guess I should be sucking up to Double Cross.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 10/27/11 - 04:39 am
First off, I do think it's

First off, I do think it's great that this type of thing is happening in and "for" Columbia County. However, I just don't quite understand the parking situation. People are having to park across the street in the Marshall Square field...and it costs $5 a car? Isn't that alot of money, just to park in the field? Is that field part of the land that Columbia County got in that lawsuit/buyout thingy? If it is, then all that money is straight up profit...minus the cost of parking attendants. But, if that parcel is not owned by the county, then maybe that money is going to the land owner/developer..in which case it's straight profit for him. Oh, well. Gotta park somewhere I guess. Hope everyone has a great time tomorrow night!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 07:11 am
My issue has always been with

My issue has always been with the naming. Let's just call the whole thing the Lady Antebellum Amphitheater. Now we have the Josh Kelley Stage on the Lady Antebellum Amphitheater at the Evans Town Center Park. Sheesh. It's too small of a place for all those names.

Remember my original suggestion was to name it all after Ryan Clark, but I'm also okay with this since the group has contributed so much to the community while lots of us know them personally and have watched their amazing rise to the top of the entertainment world. Lakeside HS has turned out some talented people in its relatively brief existence.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 09:41 am
I wonder if the Columbia

I wonder if the Columbia County government parks department is buying the 5,000 chairs or is renting them?

HHSgrad
HHSgrad 10/27/11 - 01:13 pm
Information given to pass

Information given to pass holders indicates that it is "bring your own blanket and chairs". So, Little Lamb, they are not buying nor renting chairs. If you don't bring one you have to stand or sit on ground.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 01:40 pm
Wow! That's chintzy!

Wow! That's chintzy!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 01:42 pm
Reporter Donnie Fetter

Reporter Donnie Fetter wrote:

Gates at the park open at 4 p.m. Friday . . . .

I haven't been to the park, yet, but do they have an actual set of gates there?

Chillen
Chillen 10/27/11 - 01:52 pm
Little Lamb, I went by there

Little Lamb, I went by there on Tuesday to check out the dog park. They do have a fence, gates and they were in the process of putting up more temporary gates/fences for the concert.

Someone told me the other day that they tried to go there to take their dog to the dog park while some small concert was going on & they were told it was $5 to get in because of the concert. She tried to explain that she was only there to let her dog play. She was told too bad. She left.

I imagine if someone brings their child there to play on the playground during a concert they'll meet with the same fate.

Chillen
Chillen 10/27/11 - 01:54 pm
Oh, and the concert area is

Oh, and the concert area is real nice grass & very attractive. It's kind of like a mini-Chastain. I'd bring a blanket & sit on that.

I'm surprised they allow chairs, I'd be upset if I was on a blanket & behind someone in a chair!

Vito45
Vito45 10/27/11 - 02:15 pm
You will be wasting your time

You will be wasting your time with a blanket OR chair. Folks these days don't know what a seat is at a concert; I only go to ones that appeal to the older crowd who have manners enough not to stand up in front of others who are seated.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 02:16 pm
I can just imagine the scene

I can just imagine the scene on Friday afternoon. The schools have let out and the moms and dads have their children at the park playing on the slides and one little boy flying a kite with his dad watching. Then at 3:15 or so a Columbia County sheriff's deputy comes up to the dad and says, “Sorry, sir, but you need to tell him to reel his kite in. I've got to get this park cleared out so we can open the gates at 4:00 to let the concertgoers in.” Then the deputy ambles over to the playground to clear out the rest of the kids and parents. “You can come back tomorrow,” he says.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 10/27/11 - 03:41 pm
(W)ildman, Double deserves

(W)ildman,

Double deserves credit for this magnificent venue.

Maybe, during their post-concert press conference on Friday, Hilary Scott will be audacious enough to ask him about getting sidewalks and bikepaths for the 99% of CC which lacks them.

athome
athome 10/27/11 - 10:38 pm
Even with cold and rain, I

Even with cold and rain, I think the decision to not close the road thus allowing and even encouraging people to gather outside the gates will prove to be a huge SNAFU! If it isn't, next time I'll save the cost of a ticket and watch the show from the "squatter's" area.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 11:12 pm
Outdoor concert venues always

Outdoor concert venues always have this issue of people being able to listen without paying. The normal response is to let them listen. The people who paid the price of a ticket get more comfortable seating and a more central view. I am disappointed that Columbia County parks & recreation did not provide seating for paid ticket holders, but, hey, it's their call. But for those who call for barricades to keep out the riff-raff from standing in nearby roads and grassy fields I say, "Go suck on a lemon."

0000000000 10/28/11 - 07:38 am
This is a great event! Why is

This is a great event! Why is everyone so negative? Why in the world would you be allowed to play at the park with kids or dogs without a ticket? Everyone would do that at future events then. Hard earned money has been spent on these tickets-sponsors AND the public. They are the ones who deserve to be there. And as for complaining about paying for parking-have you ever been to a concert that you didnt pay? Ive paid up towards $20 in Atlanta for shows. Everyone just needs to chill out and ebjoy the ride. This is a great day and if you dont like it, then stay home! Dont ruin it for the rest of us!

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/28/11 - 08:14 am
I'll bet Columbia County

I'll bet Columbia County people attending that concert are so honest, those outside the fence would pay if you asked them to.

Augusta Commission votes 7-0 to raise property taxes

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.