Employee of Martinez glass business hospitalized after catching on fire

  • Follow Metro

An employee of a Martinez business was taken to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center after setting himself on fire Wednesday.

O’Brien’s Glass employee Jessie Cosby received serious burns about 11:45 a.m. when a can of denatured alcohol exploded inside the business at 3842 Washington Road, Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Jimmie Paschal said.

Business owner Dave O’Brien said Cosby was using the alcohol and a flame to work on laminated glass. The flame reached the can, which exploded in Cosby’s face and set his torso, arms and head on fire. He ran through the shop until a colleague used a fire extinguisher to put out the flames.

Comments (12) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
InChristLove
22485
Points
InChristLove 10/26/11 - 02:03 pm
0
0
May God place his healing

May God place his healing hands upon this young man!

justthefacts
24891
Points
justthefacts 10/26/11 - 02:37 pm
0
0
Weird headline. Hope he

Weird headline. Hope he recovers.

augusta citizen
10002
Points
augusta citizen 10/26/11 - 05:48 pm
0
0
Amen InChristLove. God bless

Amen InChristLove. God bless this poor man.

Cassandra Harris
-3
Points
Cassandra Harris 10/26/11 - 05:53 pm
0
0
OMG, that poor man. Aren't

OMG, that poor man.

Aren't glass workers required to wear the same safety face, arm and body shields as wielders? I hope he recovers. If the workers at this shop are not wearing PPV, I hope the business begins requiring it to prevent another tragedy like this one.

elkogirl
1
Points
elkogirl 10/26/11 - 08:30 pm
0
0
having been in the glass

having been in the glass business for many years, i have seen this practice many times. It is normal in this type of glass cutting and accidents do happen. I hope and pray this man will recover fully. To the o'briens: I feel for you during this time also.

jbartley
612
Points
jbartley 10/26/11 - 10:15 pm
0
0
Jessie is a hard worker and

Jessie is a hard worker and fine person the owner is a very good employer! Please Pray for both of them..

Riverman1
93229
Points
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 06:45 am
0
0
As JTF said, it was a weird

As JTF said, it was a weird headline. Who writes these? How about "Man Severely Burned at Martinez Glass Business"?

It reminds me on their other classic: "Coroner Called to Walmart Parking Lot."

justthefacts
24891
Points
justthefacts 10/27/11 - 06:47 am
0
0
River, it has changed since I

River, it has changed since I posted. The original headline said, and I'm not kidding, " Man on fire in Martinez".

Riverman1
93229
Points
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 06:57 am
0
0
JTF, I did see that orginal

JTF, I did see that orginal headline and you did call attention to it, but this one still stinks. It's like a third grader wrote it.

Riverman1
93229
Points
Riverman1 10/27/11 - 09:40 am
0
0
I'll take a wild guess and

I'll take a wild guess and say whoever wrote the "Coroner Called to Walmart" title also wrote these TWO curious titles we've seen with this article.

Little Lamb
48824
Points
Little Lamb 10/27/11 - 10:04 am
0
0
What is the process here? Do

What is the process here? Do they soak a rag in alcohol to rub the glass clean then use the flame to burn the left-behind lint off the glass?

InChristLove
22485
Points
InChristLove 10/27/11 - 11:36 am
0
0
Not sure if this is what

Not sure if this is what happened but denatural alcohol is like rubbing alcohol and if he was using it on laminated glass, my guess is he was repairing a windshield or some such. It is difficult to cut laminated glass because it is made up of plastic layers. One method of cutting both side separately is pouring a flammable liquid (in this case denatural alcohol) into the crack, and igniting it to melt the interlayer to separate the pieces.

Back to Top

Top headlines

Sickness closes all McDuffie County schools

One day after closing an elementary because of excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to enact an ...
Search Augusta jobs