James Brown, Harley Drew inducted into Georgia Radio Hall of Fame

Augusta legend and soul-singer James Brown and WGAC radio host Harley Drew were inducted into the Georgia Radio Hall of Fame at an awards ceremony Saturday in Atlanta.

In addition to his popular music career, Brown, a 2011 Legacy inductee, purchased Augusta’s WRDW-AM radio station in the late 1960s where he had shined shoes as a boy. He also operated WJBE in Knoxville, Tenn.

Deanna Brown Thomas, his daughter, accepted the award for him. Brown was one of seven legacy inductees to receive the award posthumously.

Brown also owned WEBB, short for “We enjoy being black,” in Baltimore, and was co-owner with Pervis Spann of Atlanta’s WERD, which had been the first black-owned and operated station.

Drew’s Career Achievement award was announced along with seven other inductees for the same award. Georgia Radio Hall of Fame members voted in June to select the eight from a list of 14 candidates.

Born at Fort Gordon, Drew worked as the program director for WBBQ from 1964 to 1989. He then worked for Arrow Comm­unications Group, owners of WZNY in Augusta, and Benchmark Comm­unications.

In 1995, he joined Beasley Broadcast Group and anchors the morning news program on WGAC. He is a past recipient of “Augusta’s Best Radio Personality” award from Augusta Magazine.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 10/15/11 - 11:20 pm
Congratulations to Augusta's

Congratulations to Augusta's reigning radio champion and leader! It is an honor to work with a legend...and a privilege to call him a colleague.

scott-hudson
scott-hudson 10/15/11 - 11:30 pm
Harley, I just spent an hour

Harley, I just spent an hour this week interviewing you about your role in radio history...don't you think this might have been worth a mention? You let the AC have the scoop over me? I am throwing papers around the room like you do in the studio when someone makes a mistake!!!

I love you my friend, and I am very proud to see you get honored. You absolutely deserve it.

formerlhs
formerlhs 10/16/11 - 12:01 am
Does anybody remember “Time

Does anybody remember “Time to get ‘em slicked and shined, buckled and bowed, zipped up, tuned up, tucked in, combed out, look out, be careful, heeeeeere they come, marching out the door to school”. This came from the previous radio champion in Augusta. When it comes to Augusta radio George and Harley will always be the best.

allhans
allhans 10/16/11 - 01:49 am
Neat! Congratulations.

Neat! Congratulations.

etlinks
etlinks 10/16/11 - 07:06 am
Harley made my drive to work

Harley made my drive to work a lot more fun. Congratulations Harley, a man who never takes a day off.

jamesnewsome
jamesnewsome 10/16/11 - 08:13 am
Two fitting tributes. I enjoy

Two fitting tributes. I enjoy listening to Harley and Mary Liz every morning as I drive to work. It should be an interesting program tomorrow. Congratulations Harley.

Tom Joyner
Tom Joyner 10/16/11 - 09:37 am
Congratulations Harley on a

Congratulations Harley on a great career and this well deserved honor.
My "friend" Clyde Rambo joins me in tribute.

iLove
iLove 10/16/11 - 10:21 am
Welp! Let me be the FIRST to

Welp! Let me be the FIRST to say Congrats Mr. Brown. A true radio pioneer and humanitarian.

david jennings
david jennings 10/16/11 - 11:10 am
A tribute well deserved. Just

A tribute well deserved. Just goes to show what hard work and dedication can do, and yes we won't forget George Fisher,congratulations.

Riverman1
Riverman1 10/16/11 - 11:18 am
Congrats to Harley even if he

Congrats to Harley even if he believes Austin and Scott are aliens.

PghSteelersFan
PghSteelersFan 10/16/11 - 12:38 pm
WBBQ and Harley Drew. I

WBBQ and Harley Drew. I listened to him for let's say 'a long time'. :)
Later as an adult, I had a chance to meet him when he did a 'live' broadcast for the group I was with. He was so nice to everyone who 'stopped' by. He is a person who really deserves to be honored.

James Brown was a person who put Augusta on the map. He was a local kid who made good because as he said one time, "I am the hardest working man in show business". It is too bad that he isn't around to see his accomplishments recognized.

I saw in a previous comment that George Fisher was being honored too although the article doesn't mention it. My Parents listened to George on WBIA. The Fishers later moved into our neighborhood so the Parents got to know them on a personal basis as well. They were so nice.

Congratulations to them all. :)

Smoke On The Water
Smoke On The Water 10/16/11 - 12:38 pm
Congrats to Harley,I have

Congrats to Harley,I have been listening to you for a long time,but didn't you also work for WBRO along with Bob Smith? Also congrats to JB and the family,well done!!!

multichunx
multichunx 10/16/11 - 05:32 pm
i'm 56,and i've been lisening

i'm 56,and i've been lisening to both james brown and harley drew since i was 10.congratulations to both men,well deserved,,,,!!!

multichunx
multichunx 10/16/11 - 05:32 pm
i'm 56,and i've been lisening

Kramer
Kramer 10/16/11 - 07:10 pm
I have been a fan and

I have been a fan and follower of Harley Drew for many, many years. Over the last 10 years, he and I have become friends. To stay in one business for more than 50 years takes a special talent. His insight concerning business and politics are incredible. His talent for anything related to radio are legendary, thus, I am very happy to see him receive this honor. It is deserved and it comes at the right time. My life is much richer due to Harley. Long live Harley Drew!

Jake
Jake 10/16/11 - 10:12 pm
I wish they would put Malcom

I wish they would put Malcom Cook (Mal Your Pal) and Flash Gordon in the Hall of Fame as well. Great DJ's in an era of great music (62-69).

southern2
southern2 10/16/11 - 10:58 pm
"I feel good!" for these two

"I feel good!" for these two inductees.

Clinician shortage blamed for Augusta VA woes

The acting Secretary of Veterans Affairs said Thursday that the main reason for scheduling problems at the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center is a shortage of clinicians, adding that too few nurses ...