Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

A RANT TO the alarm companies whose employees mess around with people’s houses the night before they walk around streets to sell alarm systems. This has happened to me twice.

I WORKED FOR the Columbia County Board of Education, and before I left the system, we used to get what you would call a cost-of-living raise. But the cost of living is still going up and it’s been five years and still no raise.

THIS IS A RAVE for Mr. Jones at Jones Roofing. We thought we might need a new roof, and Mr. Jones came by and checked it out, and told us we don’t need a new roof. He could have said we need a new roof and taken our money, but he was honest. That’s why they have been in business so long. Honesty pays.

ON OCT. 4 I WAS about four cars back from an
accident on U.S. High­way 1. It was a scary scene, and someone appeared to be trapped in one of the vehicles. My CPR skills are quite weak. As I was trying to decide what, if anything, I should do, a young soldier jumped out of his car and ran to assist. I was so impressed with him. We thank you for your service, here and overseas.

THE LOCAL AIR SHOW (Boshears/SkyFest) is a 501(c)3, because it qualifies. Look it up: no one is paid, no political influence, all revenue pays for the show with any profits to charities. We support the Scouts, Boys/Girls Club, the vets and more. Our budget goal is to be able to offer a show the next year. We are a family-oriented event that is a bargain for what it costs to bring in the performers.

I WOULD LOVE to see Windsor Spring Road and the south side of Richmond County get money for lighting.

ESPN MIGHT HAVE been unfair to Hank Williams Jr when it suspended his opening to Monday Night Football for things he said; but his career is receiving a boost, and that intro was getting tired anyway. Occupy Atlanta was totally disrespectful toward Rep John Lewis, however, when it would not allow him to speak; and everyone should be outraged at such treatment of a true hero.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/15/11 - 04:55 am
"ONE OF THE RANTERS wrote, “I

"ONE OF THE RANTERS wrote, “I just want someone who can fix what’s broken within our government and Constitution.” The Constitution doesn’t need to be fixed: it needs to be followed."

I couldn't agree more. The Constitution is perfect. If the elected officials would just follow it as you say!

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 10/15/11 - 05:22 am
WILL THE USA SURVIVE THE FREE

WILL THE USA SURVIVE THE FREE STUFF?

"The folks who are getting the free stuff, don't like the folks who are paying for the free stuff, because the folks who are paying for the free stuff can no longer afford to pay for both the free stuff and their own
stuff.

The folks who are paying for the free stuff want the free stuff to stop, and the folks who are getting the free stuff want even more free stuff on top of the free stuff they are already getting!

Now... The people who are forcing the people who pay for the free stuff have told the people who are RECEIVING the free stuff, that the people who are PAYING for the free stuff, are being mean, prejudiced, and racist.

So... The people who are GETTING the free stuff have been convinced they need to hate the people who are paying for the free stuff by the people who are forcing some people to pay for their free stuff, and giving them the free stuff in the first place.

We have let the free stuff giving go on for so long that there are now more people getting free stuff than paying for the free stuff.

Now understand this. All great democracies have committed financial suicide somewhere between 200 and 250 years after being founded. The reason? The voters figured out they could vote themselves money from the treasury by electing people who promised to give them money from the treasury in exchange for electing them.

The United States officially became a Republic in 1776, 235 years ago. The number of people now getting free stuff outnumbers the people paying for the free stuff. We have one chance to change that. In 2012. Failure to change that spells the end of the United States as we know it.

ELECTION 2012 IS COMING, SO REMEMBER, a nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!
web posted October 13, 2011...C&P from edgefield.com

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 07:21 am
Yea a rave for JonesRoofing

Yea a rave for JonesRoofing ...it pays to be a good guy..he is!

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 07:25 am
No ...I don't think the

No ...I don't think the protest group was rude...they don't want their group hi-jacked by politicians...all sides ...this isn't a race problem to them...it's a job-less economy problem.....maybe I need to be their spokes person...they need to request my services.:):)

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 07:28 am
sooo....you want Windsor

sooo....you want Windsor Spring lighting...well, after they light up downtown-Broad st. & every nook & craney in the cbd..they might have a bone to throw your way...but don't hold your breath.

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 07:31 am
shrimp....A picture of your

shrimp....A picture of your son maybe....too young for you....:O)

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 07:34 am

WAKE UP AUGUSTA!!!
Don't make me put this on again!

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:00 am

Howmany-howmany....but I really don't want to know...
To all my music fans out there today.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 10/15/11 - 09:00 am
To show solidarity with the

To show solidarity with the "Occupy Wall Street" folks, President Obama has sent a small delegation of combat equipped folks to 'occupy Uganda'.

Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Sudan, Somalia, Libya, Uganda, and other places only the CIA knows for sure are currently being occupied by unfunded U.S. occupiers.....

The military industrial powers, and the entire world surely are basking in the significance of Obama's Nobel Peace Prize.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:01 am
Good Morning

Good Morning America.

Political Correctness is at it's greatest level in the destruction of this great country. Why is there no articles, letters to the editor or any comments made on this.

"Olive Garden: American Flag Display Would ‘Disrupt the Dining Experience’
Posted on October 12, 2011 at 7:59pm by Tiffany Gabbay

80-year-old Marti Warren thought she was doing a good thing a little over a month ago when she booked a local Olive Garden restaurant in Oxford, Alabama, to host a Kiwanis club awards banquet. The chapter president got a rude awakening the night of the gathering, however, when restaurant staff refused to allow her to bring an American flag inside the restaurant.

Warren, who lived through World War II and was later part of her local desegregation movement, said, “This is not my country. This is not my country I grew up with.”

The justly outraged Warren told WBRC-TV, “I was so angry. I felt like I had been slapped in the face”:

That slap came from the Oxford Olive Garden. One hour before the Golden K Kiwanis club‘s awards banquet the restaurant manager told Warren she couldn’t bring in their banner or even an American flag. “I said having known this earlier you can bet we never would have eaten here. And I said if we had time we would have gone to McDonald’s because we know they are American all the way through,” said Warren

In response, Olive Garden’s parent company, Orlando-based Darden Restaurants, said in a statement:

“Like all Americans we have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes. In fact, we periodically provide American flag collar pins to our employees to wear while serving our guests. We understand and appreciate the way some people have reacted to the situation in Oxford and we’re very sorry if this decision has caused them any concern. The Oxford Olive Garden does not have a private dining area. To be fair to everyone and avoid disrupting the dining experience for all other guests, they’re unable to accommodate flags or banners of any type in the dining room.”

But Warren says that’s not what the restaurant told her:

In fact she says they told her she’d be in banquet room three. And as for being in the way, they were seated in the back by the kitchen. “I resent that. I do resent that. I‘m about truthfulness and that’s not truthful,” said Warren.

While the American flag was not present during the Kiwanis club banquet, Warren urged the group to close their eyes, picture the most “beautiful” American flag and recite the pledge of allegiance.

Warren is not taking things lying down either. She has vowed to boycott Olive Garden along with all other Darden restaurants and has urged others to do the same.

“Word of mouth is powerful and if people find this out and decide not to patronage these places…it will hurt them in their pocket,” said Warren.

It is probably worth noting that just last month, Darden Restaurants agreed to partner with Michelle Obama’s “Partnership for a Healthier America” by cutting the calorie and sodium levels of menu items by 10 percent within the next five years and 20 percent within the next 10 years."

Some will say that our SMCICBHO has nothing to do with this.....so wrong.
Are we past the point of being able to say "God Bless America?"

Jane18
Jane18 10/15/11 - 09:11 am
R&R #2: welcome to our world.

R&R #2: welcome to our world. I hope you don't think you are the only one in this predicament. SeenitB4, between you and my sister, I am always entertained, Thanks! Loved the boogie-woogie, but loved Elvis more(I saw him in Atlanta in the 70"s, will never forget that voice).

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:15 am
FalseHope..Now all we need

FalseHope..Now all we need is for some or all of our troops to be slaughtered and then, here we go again. Sending Americans into the middle of that situation is idiotic. I realize it is Africa but we can't butt into any and all of these skirmishes.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:18 am
So Sad....AC refuses to post

So Sad....AC refuses to post my early morning comment on the "refusal to accept the American Flag at Olive Gardens."

Damn Political Correctness!

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:21 am
I agree with a part of the

I agree with a part of the last rant. But... Hank should not have been yanked for his stupid remark, celebrities get away with far worse every night.
John Lewis should have been allowed some time to speak, he was speaking for the 17% unemployment group. 5 minutes wouldn't have hindered the Occupy crowd from doing whatever their business is about. WE are told every day that they have no leader..so who was the guy who stopped Lewis from having his free will done.

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:22 am
rant #1 The alarm company is

rant #1 The alarm company is what?

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:27 am
Yes, send our American Men

Yes, send our American Men and Women to all these foreign countries to fight and die.....for what..."Our Freedom"

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:27 am
CGEE....I think Olive Gardens

CGEE....I think Olive Gardens is a customer of AC----BUT I did read that they said THAT was a mistake & they did allow USA flags...they backtracked after that huge mistake.

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:28 am
I agree with you Cobalt.

I agree with you Cobalt. Refusing to fly the flag should be enough for a boycott. (I can say that easily, it's not and hasn't been on my list of " places to go") I hope his comm ent wasn't yanked for that.

Vito45
Vito45 10/15/11 - 09:30 am
I imagine if you were naming

I imagine if you were naming a business with negative comments they are obligated to pull it or risk a confrontation.

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:34 am
Backtracking after it

Backtracking after it happpened doesn't change the fact that an offense was done to our flag. IF - the 80 year old woman is telling the truth, and I believe her.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:35 am
B4, Didn't see the acceptance

B4, Didn't see the acceptance but none the less, refusal to allow the American Flag to be displayed any place is poo in the face of true Americans.

allhans, never fear being yanked if you speak the truth, "Fear only the snake to don't see."

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:36 am

Hanks new song---sez they can keep the change!!!
He will make a mint over this !!! Yeehaw!

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/15/11 - 09:38 am
"SMCICBHO", there’s that

"SMCICBHO", there’s that undefined acronym again; an internet search leads right back to posts on the AC, so again no definition is available.

Super Manly Commander…? I can’t figure it out.

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:38 am
I think Fox made a mistake

I think Fox made a mistake dumping Hank.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:40 am
Vito45.....So! That business

Vito45.....So! That business or any business shouldn't do anything to have to worry about negative comments....Right?

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:41 am
Part of it means...commander

Part of it means...commander in chief Barrack H Obama---he will have to fill in the rest.

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:46 am
Olive Gardens sez------ media

Olive Gardens sez------

media contact would not answer specific questions either, but did issue an apology via email.

“We are very sorry for any misunderstanding about this issue. We do not have a policy at Olive Garden concerning bringing the American flag into our restaurants. Some members of our team were misinformed about company policy by our corporate office. As a company we take responsibility for that and we regret it. We take pride in how we communicate to our restaurants and we are correcting this so it doesn’t happen again. Like all Americans we have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for the American flag and everything it symbolizes, and we welcome anyone who wishes to bring the flag into our restaurants. In fact, we periodically provide American flag collar pins to our employees to wear while serving guests.”

The parent firm of Olive Garden, Darden restaurants, which also operates the Red Lobster and Longhorn chains, is based in Orlando.

seenitB4 10/15/11 - 09:47 am
I'm trying to post their

I'm trying to post their apology ....whenever AC releases it!!

allhans
allhans 10/15/11 - 09:53 am
seenit..Fox didn't dump Hank,

seenit..Fox didn't dump Hank, ESPN did. Hank made the remark on Fox & Friends and it went viral. He says Fox twisted his words but those I know who watched it said that nothing was misconstrued. I don't watch TV at the time Fox & Friends is aired.
(I DO watch "5 at5" on Fox, my favor-ite)

BTW..Hank was plainly not saying the president was H...
He was making a comparison between two opponents and neither concerned either of the two parties mentioned.

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 10/15/11 - 09:48 am
bjphysics....to your second

bjphysics....to your second request...Socialist Muslin Commander in Chief Barack Hussein Obama.

When I first described our King...I capitalized Nothing before CIC an caught holy hell for being raciest, which those that know me know I'm far from that.