Rants & Raves

I’M GETTING SICK AND TIRED of picking up my newspaper every day and seeing Troy Davis’ picture blasted across the front page. He’s guilty, he’s dead, he’s gone.

RAVES TO PASTOR TOM of the United Methodist Church in Harlem. I have never met a pastor more kind or caring about the people and it’s the people who count.

AFTER WATCHING THE Republican debate in Florida, I would love to see Rick Santorum as president and Herman Cain as vice president in 2012. In my estimation these two could turn our country back to the way it used to be and the way it needs to be.

A RANT FOR THE IRONMAN. It is a pity the people who are organizing it cannot understand that there are five churches on Greene Street. They have set it up so that we can’t get to or from church. They did not consider us at all. We have been there for 136 years, and we are taxpaying citizens. We should not be denied our ability to go to church on Sunday morning.

RANT FOR COLUMBIA County EMA Director Pam Tucker and her cavalier, blasé attitude on a TV interview recently about the gas mains being hit when work is being done along the highways.

WHY IS IT THAT every time I turn around this president is doing something that is harmful or risky to the United States? Sometimes I think he could not do a better job of destroying America if it was his intent.

I’M SICK AND TIRED of Obama. I like Herman Cain. I will vote for him. With Obama the thrill is gone.

THIS IS A RANT to former president Jimmy Carter. He is the worst president in my lifetime. He tried to save Troy Davis, and he failed at that just like he failed in the hostage rescue.

ONE HAD TO FEEL sorry for those young Americans imprisoned in Iran, but they have no one to blame except themselves. Why were they hiking in a war zone?

THE ORIGINAL REASON for only allowing dead people on stamps was to ensure some dunce didn’t get his picture on a stamp and then turn around and commit a crime or some other gross act that could embarrass the federal government. Why the change now? Because nothing can embarrass the federal government.

THIS IS A RANT against the Augusta Public Library and whoever is in charge there now. They supposedly have monthly board meetings that are open to the PUBLIC, but they do not post the minutes (such as on their website or readily available in physical form). In fact, they do not post the agenda like they did several months ago!

RE: THE RAVE ABOUT “Rick McKee’s illustrations of Obama. Especially those EARS.” Perhaps Mr. McKee should illustrate Rep. John Boehner more often. Especially those satanic HORNS formed by his hairline.

Techfan
Techfan 10/06/11 - 06:54 am
You can thank Reagan for the

You can thank Reagan for the hostages being held so long. Nothing like an offer of weaponry to seal a deal. Who cares if the money went to murdering, raping, terrorists, right?

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/06/11 - 06:58 am
Selling guns to the enemy?

Selling guns to the enemy? Heck, let's ask Eric Holder. We better hurry, he might be serving on borrowed time.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 07:41 am
You are tired of hearing

You are tired of hearing about T Davis---how about MJackson- Amanda Know-the hikers in Iran-not tomention Casey Anthony.....enough-enough...I switched channels when this stuff comes on..

Losing Steve Jobs was a big loss...if only we all could find our passion like he did.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 07:44 am
I would like to see a Steve

I would like to see a Steve Jobs stamp. :)

Just wonder if that will happen since the internet took over the postoffice business.

allhans
allhans 10/06/11 - 07:48 am
I watched a little of the

I watched a little of the M.J. trial and it was like the continuation of Anna Nicole Smith's trial.

myopinion3
myopinion3 10/06/11 - 08:43 am
Im with you SEENITB4, we got

Im with you SEENITB4, we got it the first time we got it the second time..now move on to other news....Seen an interesting insight this a.m. about Mr. Jobs....I pod....I phone...I pad..........I SAD

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 08:52 am
I'm glad somebody is with me

I'm glad somebody is with me this am....I feel kinda alone today for "some" reason....:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 08:56 am

Funny...when I watch Tom sing I forget about being lonely....my mind wonders for some reason.....:)...lol

happychimer
19624
happychimer 10/06/11 - 09:48 am
seenit thanks. Tom Jones is

seenit thanks. Tom Jones is the best. Here's another one. What a voice! I use to watch his tv show, and went to his concert in Augusta yrs ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGBvbrXNjs0&feature=related

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 09:54 am
Everyday I say I'm only

Everyday I say I'm only spending 1hour on here & then on to my work/business needs...BUT everyday I let this news addiction take over & spend hours w/o even thinking of the time...what is it...is it the news-other posters-toons-great posts-thejokes-the humor-just wanting to connect with "smart" humans---I give up......this addiction has won again...you don't think AC has a way to drug me......doyou??
gotta go...:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 09:57 am
HC....I saw Tom Jones at the

HC....I saw Tom Jones at the Bell in Augusta years ago---He had "it" whatever it is --he had it.. :)

happychimer
19624
happychimer 10/06/11 - 09:57 am
bye for now seenit.

bye for now seenit.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 10/06/11 - 09:58 am
I saw him at the Civic

I saw him at the Civic Center.

happychimer
19624
happychimer 10/06/11 - 10:04 am
Money was tight for us back

Money was tight for us back then, so I did sewing for a friend, so I could buy a ticket. Another friend had a yard sale so she could buy her ticket. What an entertainer! He wore a brown fancey shirt, and a news reporter at wrdw did an interview with him, and he gave her the shirt.

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 10/06/11 - 10:48 am
My favorite pic of Obama is

My favorite pic of Obama is the one with with his grinning face superimposed on the body of Steve Urkel with the caption........."Did I do that??"

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/06/11 - 01:50 pm
Finally people mourn, not a

Finally people mourn, not a celebrity or rock star but a Creator; glad to be witness.

Steve Jobs: tributes to the Apple co-founder

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/06/11 - 04:05 pm
dougk - I just got my little

dougk - I just got my little hand slapped by Sean for telling you this on the thread where I noticed your post did not appear, but your posts are all missing from the threads on which they were posted. Your last post appears on the "Discussion" thread, but not the "Praise God" thread. You might want to check your e-mail for a note from Sean, or send him a note to ask him why. Seems to be happening to a lot of people lately.... interesting.... Rod Serling.... 1950's television..... Joseph McCarthy .....twilight zone....

justthefacts
justthefacts 10/06/11 - 04:06 pm
Well Bull, according to

Well Bull, according to sources Steve Jobs is listed as the inventor on over 300 patents. Just saying.....

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/06/11 - 04:11 pm
Bull Moose, I'm going to have

Bull Moose, I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you there. Steve Jobs was a great man of our society and someone whose loss is worthy of mourning. He came from humble roots, worked creatively and is responsible for the number one tech industry in the world. No, he didn't do it alone, but he was the force that drove it. Besides that after buying Pixar from Steven Spielberg, he went on to produce the first all digital animated movie "Toy Story". Sorry you can't just seem to reach the man's vision.

mharrison
mharrison 10/06/11 - 04:30 pm
I think it is hilarious how

I think it is hilarious how the American public likes to conveniently forget that former president Bush was the one that put us in all this national debt by starting not one, but 2 wars. Yet they want the Republicans back in office.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 04:35 pm
Can't we just say that both

Can't we just say that both sides had a hand in getting us in this mess & both sides need to work us out of this mess...

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 04:48 pm
On a weak day for the market,

On a weak day for the market, Apple's stock is trading at $410, an all-time high, giving it a market cap of $380 billion.

That makes it the most valuable company in the world, head and shoulders above Exxon, but it also does something even more impressive: It puts Apple in position to become as valuable as Microsoft and Google combined,

Most valuable company in the world...that means something to me.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/06/11 - 04:53 pm
Well said seenit.

Well said seenit. Personally, both sides are on the corporate dole in the long run. Every election it's a matter of attempting to decide the lesser of evils to place your vote.

Bull Moose - did you get fired from an Apple Store or something? You're taking the fact that many of us find his death a tragedy a bit to hard.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/06/11 - 06:02 pm
Bull Moose: “…don't call him

Bull Moose: “…don't call him a creator…”

Perhaps creator is the wrong word and a term of endearment we use to commemorate him given our recent loss; maybe better words are visionary and rainmaker.

I have been a technological creator since 1987 and I never created anything some visionary didn’t envision. Some marketing guy like Steve gathers a bunch of techno-weenies in a conference room. He says he wants an electro-magnetic-transmographying-gonkulator (EMTG) that fits in a box this big. If we can come up a design, the MIC will give us $200 million and 10 years of work. We tell the visionary he is crazy and ask him: “How in the world are we going to fit your EMTG is a space that small?”

The visionary says: “That’s your job.”

And with that simple challenge the best minds are focused and brought to bear on the task. Without this challenge we would have no idea how to focus our productive energies. Rudderless, without steerage, we would squander our time calculating PI to more decimal places.

As progress is made but R&D funds dwindle, the Rainmaker goes into magnificent product sales mode. Steve works with us and the media presentations group to create (there’s that word) powerpoint slides (viewgraphs in olden times) to razzmatazz investors to fund the EMTG. He is smooth, he is slick, he comes back with the big check. The EMTG prototype is completed/tested, and it is successful beyond expectations. FSED (Full Scale Engineering Development) begins, followed by large scale production and product is sold. Houses are purchased, cars are bought, kids college educations are funded, and physicists live happily ever after on beaches in Florida.

All of that because a technological neophyte with a bold idea for an unrealistic product walked into a room full of techno-geeks and left the room challenging our scientific and engineering skills with the words:

“That’s your job.”

RIP, Steve Jobs, Visionary, Rainmaker, and Creative Juice Generator

Cadence
Cadence 10/06/11 - 05:03 pm
I wish I could find wars

I wish I could find wars hilarious. They just make me very sad.

seenitB4
seenitB4 10/06/11 - 05:08 pm
bj....that was beautiful at

bj....that was beautiful at 606pm..

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/06/11 - 05:56 pm
Bull Moose: “Thomas Edison,

Bull Moose: “Thomas Edison, first sound recorder and playback (Phonograph), motion picture camera, and the first practical long lasting light bulb.”

Sounds good if you say it fast; however, not the story known to those in the know. “Edison, the Man” with Spenser Tracy is a great movie and great Hollywood fiction but that’s as far as it goes; I enjoy it every time it’s on AMC.

"The Wizard of Menlo Park" was one of the first inventors to apply the principles of mass production and large teamwork to the process of invention, and therefore is often credited with the creation of the first industrial research laboratory. He has 1,093 US patents in his name, if you think he is the legitimate inventor on those patents I’d say you have no patent experience.

Modern corporations make employees sign agreements that inventions related to their work are the property of the corporation, because of modern patent law, the corporation is listed as the assignee and not the inventor. Legally the real contributors are listed as the inventors; not true in Edison’s day. He was listed on every patent that came out of Menlo Park no matter his actual contribution, if any. You want to zero in on a real charlatan or credit hog, zero in on Edison.

RIP, Steve Jobs, Visionary, Rainmaker, and Creative Juice Generator

fftaz71
fftaz71 10/07/11 - 07:54 am
Bull...the effects of what

Bull...the effects of what Steve Jobs did are too numerous to count. BUT...tell me where all those products that you mentioned are today? Ive never heard of any of them. Do you know of any other device that has an attachment and app where you can run a persons credit card as a Point of Sale transaction? Whether the ideas were solely his or not, he capitalized on the idea of how to make them better and he never stopped believing that he could. Would you rather your children look to someone like Steve Jobs as a role model or someone like (insert name of overpaid whining sports players)? For once the news is talking about someone worthwhile...the things he did radically changed how we do things.

bjphysics
bjphysics 10/07/11 - 10:21 am
Bull Moose: “Thomas Edison,

Edison’s credit hogging is worse than I thought. I figured he made sure he was always listed on every patent (irrespective of contribution) along with the other significant contributors. However, I perused the Rutgers database of Edison patents at:

As I jumped from patent to patent to patent (see “claims” page for inventor’s names), the patents are all issued in HIS name and HIS name alone. This guy had a lab full of contributors but denied any and all of them partial recognition. Talk about hogging all the credit.

Check out Steve Jobs patents and you see his name change order (inventors names are listed in order of contribution) in the inventors list.

Sure looks like Steve was honest and gave credit where credit was due and Thomas, maybe not so much.