Davidson graduate's group advances to third round of 'The Sing-Off'

An Augustan performed on NBC’s The Sing-Off Monday night, and his group advanced to the third round.

Jamal Moore, a John S. Davidson Fine Arts Magnet School graduate, was mentioned by all three of the judges for his role in the University of Rochester YellowJackets’ two performances.

The 15 members of the group first sang Dynamite by Taio Cruz, for the pop music theme.

“I really think Jamal’s voice is very interesting,” judge Ben Folds said of the performance.

For their second act, the group performed the ’60s classic Can’t Take My Eyes Off of You by Frankie Valli for the other Monday theme, “Radio Hits of the ’60s.”

Sara Bareilles pointed out Moore as bandleader for making the performance “polished and seamless.”

The Sing-Off features 16 of the country’s best a capella groups performing popular songs. The groups compete for America’s vote, and the winner receives a Sony Music recording contract and $100,000, according to the show’s Web site.

The YellowJackets advanced from the first round two weeks ago. In the second round, 12 acts are competing. Six performed Monday night, with one being eliminated, and the other six will appear next Monday.

Locally, Moore also received voice instruction from Patti Myers, a professor at Augusta State University.

mrducks
mrducks 10/03/11 - 10:27 pm
Who cares about this fluff?

Who cares about this fluff? I care more about about the days when Davidson produced kids who went to Ivy League schools. Doesn't happen much any more. Davidson has gone downhill since the old days. Get a real job, or go to a real college.

museofsatie
museofsatie 10/03/11 - 10:52 pm
Yeah. Mrducks is obviously

Yeah. Mrducks is obviously correct. How dare the Chronicle write a piece about Jamal Moore's success on The Sing-Off? What's the point of writing about an extremely talented young Augustan who, along with performing with a fantastic ensemble for this show, attends the Eastman School of Music? For shame, Chronicle.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/03/11 - 11:07 pm
Sounds to me that mrducks has

Sounds to me that mrducks has a bad case of the jealousies. Congratulations Jamal for making it so far. We're proud of you and pulling for you! Good to hear such good news about our area's young people!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/03/11 - 11:29 pm
As a parent of several

As a parent of several Davidson Honor graduates who knew Jamal Moore and having seen him perform in many school events myself, I can witness that he is a shining star of intelligence, self-discipline, hard work, amazing talent, positive attitude and dedication to anything he commits to. The University of Rochester chose well in accepting his application and I am very pleased to see him rising successfully to another challenge in The Sing-Off competition. I hope he, along with his fellow singers/classmates in his acapella group, make it through to the top.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 10/03/11 - 11:30 pm
BTW, last I heard, Davidson

BTW, last I heard, Davidson was still producing Ivy league students, mrducks.

countyman
19545
countyman 10/04/11 - 12:14 am
Mr. Ducks.. Davidson is the

Mr. Ducks.. Davidson is the only gold medal winner listed in the entire state on the 2011 US News & World Report top 100 schools.

AR Johnson did receive a silver medal..

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 10/04/11 - 04:42 am
I've never even heard of this

I've never even heard of this show but I guess I'm going to have to check it out now.
Go for it Jamal!

Chillen
Chillen 10/04/11 - 09:06 am
I saw him sing last night, he

I saw him sing last night, he was great!

Dipshot
Dipshot 10/04/11 - 12:08 pm
never heard of this show

never heard of this show either, but good for him. But his "group" has 15 members? That sounds almost like a choir. It's hard to see how a musical group that large could be successfully marketable in the pop world. It does seem like there are an awful lot of these TV singing contests nowadays.

3trj1paj
3trj1paj 10/06/11 - 04:56 pm
I am a proud parent of a 2005

I am a proud parent of a 2005 Davidson graduate, and I can say that she DID go on to an Ivy League School, Princeton University, upon graduation. I have been watching the show like a hawk ever since I found out that one of our own Augustans, along with a Davidson alum was on it. Go Jamal, we are proud of you!