Tents go up as Lady Antebellum ticket line grows outside Columbia County Library

The sun was rising Friday morning as Leslie Dillard, of Evans, set up her tent and chairs in front of the Columbia County Library in Evans.

People who spent the night on the sidewalk in front of the Columbia County Library waiting for tickets to Lady Antebellum's Oct. 28 concert will be spending a second night until tickets go on sale at 8 a.m. Saturday.  Valerie Rowell/Staff
Valerie Rowell/Staff

“I’ve never, never done this,” she said of camping out for concert tickets, this for the Oct. 28 Lady Antebellum show. “This is so not me. … It’s an adventure.”

Her son’s birthday is Oct. 28, though, and her daughter’s is two days before, so she was spending the night on the sidewalk to get tickets for them.

“It’s what they wanted for their birthdays,” Dillard said. “So I’m doing it for them.”

She joined hundreds of other Lady A fans who created a tent city to be first in line for the tickets, which go on sale at 8 this morning. Just 3,100 general admission tickets will be offered for the concert at the new amphitheater at Evans Town Center Park. Patrons are limited to no more than four tickets for $40 each, so county officials have said that at least the first 775 people in line are guaranteed to be able to purchase tickets.

Debbie Vannier, of Grovetown, took her place at the end of the line Friday afternoon with her teenage daughter Alicia. It was the second time Vannier has tried to buy tickets for a Lady Antebellum concert.

“By the time I got logged on to my computer, they were sold out,” she said of her attempt to purchase tickets for last November’s show at James Brown Arena.

Vannier and Alicia planned to spend the night outside the library to ensure they got passes for the acoustic show to dedicate a new pavilion named in their honor.

Alyssa Hayes and her friend Alexis Cooley, both of Evans, joined the line about midnight. They were confident the time will be well-spent.

“Definitely,” Hayes said, adding that her fellow sidewalk campers have been friendly. “I think once the day (of the concert) actually comes, it’ll be worth it.”

Ticket sales are cash only, but the county has set up an ATM on site for patrons.

bdouglas
bdouglas 09/30/11 - 09:30 am
Less than 775 people unless

Less than 775 people unless their 3100 tickets didn't include the ones allocated to the Lady A fan club. They were doing a pre-sale for fan club members for this show most of the week. I've seen lots of Facebook comments from people saying they got their tickets already that way.

Barry Paschal 09/30/11 - 09:49 am
bdouglas: The 3,100 does not

bdouglas: The 3,100 does not include the 200 allotted to the Lady Antebellum Fan Club.

Barry Paschal 09/30/11 - 09:51 am
By the way: I'm told those

By the way: I'm told those 200 tickets for fan club members sold out Wednesday morning in 8 minutes, so it isn't accurate to say the sale has taken place "most of the week." The sale started at 10 a.m. Wednesday was over in a blink.

Chillen
Chillen 09/30/11 - 10:37 am
I would never wait in line

I would never wait in line like this for tickets. Nothing is that important. I'll just watch them on You Tube.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 09/30/11 - 11:29 am
I sure am naive, I had

I sure am naive, I had thought getting there around 4:00 am on Sat. morning would be adequate, rofl at myself!

icemanw83
icemanw83 09/30/11 - 11:42 am
I hope that other bands take

I hope that other bands take notice to this phenomenon. People in Augusta will camp out for days for the opportunity to buy tickets to see a good show. Maybe if we got a bigger, nicer entertainment venue than the main one we have now, even bigger bands would come and Augusta would become a stop for most artists on their tour schedule.

iLove
iLove 09/30/11 - 12:48 pm
@iceman: I agree

@iceman: I agree

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/30/11 - 12:59 pm
We need to figure out a way

We need to figure out a way to make money on people who wait in line that way.

David Parker
David Parker 09/30/11 - 01:16 pm
sell them glow sticks.

sell them glow sticks. ever'body luvs glow stix

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/30/11 - 02:19 pm
We should make them keep

We should make them keep walking around like demonstrators so they don't block the sidewalk and sell them sodas at 3 bucks a can when they get tired. I bet they would like that. Glow stix was a good idea, too.

Bobby Hill
Bobby Hill 09/30/11 - 03:35 pm
Okay lets do some

Okay lets do some math...venue seats 4000, selling 3100 which leaves 900, remove the 200 for Lady A fan club that leaves 700 tickets for "county brass" A lot of taxpayer money went into this venue! Surely there is a packed calendar of top names to play there once the dog and pony show is over? OR perhaps this is a disposable venue made for one time use?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/30/11 - 04:32 pm
Any word yet on whether

Any word yet on whether Kroger is going to sell tickets to watch the concert from the shopping center roof? Kroger could also sell food and charcoal for a tailgate party on the roof.

0000000000 09/30/11 - 05:06 pm
Bobby Hill you dont know what

Bobby Hill you dont know what you are talking about. The sponsors do get some tickets and Im sure some of the higher ups get some too, but who cares!?! Both of those groups are the people responsible for this show to begin with. Chill out. Yes the taxpayers paid for the site, but thats also why they are only doing cash onsite sales to keep from out of towners gobbling up the tickets. If they allowed online and phone sales our community would not only miss out seeing the concert but on the excitment of the dedication ceremony that we all (Col Co taxpayers)made possible!

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/30/11 - 09:28 pm
Gonna be chilly tonight. Glad

Gonna be chilly tonight. Glad I'm not out there.

soldout
soldout 10/01/11 - 07:58 am
This is beyond being a fan

This is beyond being a fan but is bondage to entertainment. Pretty sad

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 10/01/11 - 08:16 am
soldout - lighten up. These

soldout - lighten up. These people camp out to have fun. I've done it in the past and the camping out and enjoying the time with my friends was far more memorable than the concerts. If you didn't notice, Ms. Dillard said "it's an adventure". They aren't hurting you or anyone else, let them have their fun so long as they pick up their camping mess afterwards.

vickidu52
vickidu52 10/01/11 - 02:01 pm
You can't be a true blooded

You can't be a true blooded Columbia Countian and not be excited to see our kids doing well. I was just as proud of Todd Green playing ball, the Poythress boy pro ball, the country music writer who has written so many hits, Ben Hayslip , Sutton Foster who danced with Augusta West and is such a star on Broadway, Karen Boyd our own Rockette. There are others as well but we have a community rich in talent and it's great to see them doing this. I missed out on tickets for this venue and just hate it but hopefully this will be a big hit for our once little hick community out here! Everyone should enjoy! Well, until about 4000 cars try to park in that area for the shows! Hmmmmm......

lshrader
lshrader 10/01/11 - 05:09 pm
I agree with vickidu52! As a

I agree with vickidu52! As a former 25 year resident of Columbia County, who also had the pleasure of teaching and coaching several of these wonderful "kids" I think the negativity is uncalled for. Who cares if some of the tickets will be "given" to sponsors and others. It happens every day and often to people who had absolutely nothing to do with anything related to the event. Be proud of the accomplishments of "our" kids and just deal with the realities of life. Oh and vickidu52- the one you left out was Lakeside High School (home of the Lady A boys) own Olympic athlete Reese Hoffa.