Rants and Raves

Comments from our readers.

THIS IS A RANT and a rave. My 69-year-old mother fell down in the University Hospital parking lot yesterday and hit her head, scraped her elbow and severely broke her wrist. A very nice lady came to mother’s aid and got her help, held her arm and would not leave her side until the ambulance came to get her. This lady was originally from New Jersey, Mama said, and she wanted to make sure she knew how much she appreciated her being there, along with the others who came to her aid.

That’s the rave; now the rant. It took 30 minutes for an ambulance to get there. Now mind you, she was in the hospital parking lot, just a few hundred feet from the emergency room doors. Please tell me what took them so long?

A HUGE RAVE FOR the new hairdresser named Heaven at the Evans Walmart Hair Salon. The color and haircut were the best I have ever had in a Walmart salon ….

IT APPEARS TO me that some residents of McDuffie County feel that the most important thing in the county is to have a state-of-the-art football stadium that is costing millions of dollars, and not the education and welfare of its children.

THE LACK OF JOBS is making people increasingly desperate; U.S. cities could see increase in violent crimes if the economy doesn’t pick up soon.

A RANT TO SOME vendors at Arts in the Heart festival. If you are going to set up your booth attractively with all your pretty wares on display, have the common sense to not stand in the back of it and puff on cigarettes, poisoning the air inside your booth. Trust me, I will not linger in your booth in the middle of a coughing fit to look at your merchandise.

RAVES TO CATHY at the University Heart and Vascular Center. I was made completely at ease by her professional, compassionate, and friendly attitude during my Doppler diagnostic procedure.

I LIKED THIS YEAR’S Arts in the Heart festival with its new setup. Even though those streets were closed, it was better to browse among the streets instead of the previous years among uneven dirt and gravel areas. I do wish there were more seating at some of the venues like the stage at Augusta Common and the tented stages. Too many sloppy people had dropped food on the grass so I did not dare sit on the grass.

fftaz71
fftaz71 09/26/11 - 08:31 pm
If you were only a few

If you were only a few hundred feet from the ER doors, why didnt you ask someone to go inside the ER and tell them there was a woman down in the parking lot in need of assistance? As for the ambulance taking 30 minutes to get there...theres only a few rigs on duty at any given time. Maybe they were tied up on other calls before they could answer yours.

stephykins
stephykins 09/26/11 - 08:53 pm
Probably because the

Probably because the ambulances aren't stationed at the ER. Why not just be seen at University instead of being transported somewhere else?

Vito45
Vito45 09/26/11 - 09:29 pm
"REGARDING THE rant about

"REGARDING THE rant about River Watch Parkway: The same thing happens on Wrightsboro Road near Barton Chapel. The right lane clearly states, turn lane only, as you approach the appliance parts store, but there is always some idiot who flies down that lane and then cuts someone off before the lane ends. And the really irritating part is that eight times out of 10 they then go down and back up traffic to turn left onto Belair Road."

That happens everywhere there is a long turn only lane, and it fries my bacon crisp for people to do that. GET IN THE DAD-BLAME LINE LIKE THE REST OF US!! Whay are you special, and would you have the cajones to break line like that if you were in the grocery store?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/11 - 07:14 am
I totally agree that lack of

I totally agree that lack of jobs will make people desperate....I see it everyday in the news & life....
But.....we still buy non-American goods......it only takes a second to read the label...to ask the manager to stock American made goods...if you have family out of work---you know the pitfalls of poverty.

InChristLove
InChristLove 09/27/11 - 07:44 am
fftaz71, I thought the same.

fftaz71, I thought the same. Why not go into the hospital, tell someone that your 69 year old mother has just fallen and injured herself, get a nurse with a wheelchair and wheel her into the emergency room.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/11 - 07:46 am
icl...ditto to that...

icl...ditto to that...

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/11 - 07:53 am
Has anyone noticed the

Has anyone noticed the talking heads on tv have already started bashing the front runners in the gop debates......if only the tv heads had the power they think they have...
They say---He almost fell asleep-he is dropping from the top--not a good debater---etc.--GIVE ME A BREAK!!
Even on Saturday Night Live....they want to do the same thing they did to Palin...I hope Palin sues the crap out of that author & news group.
One debate won't make or break a candidate--- but if H Cain should inch to the top of the polls they will bash him next..I have really gotten sick of someof the lib talking heads on tv....like Chris Matthews....maybe ole Gov. Miller had it right when he offered to take him on!!JMO

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/11 - 07:56 am
btw...I don't want Palin as

btw...I don't want Palin as President BUT the news did a dirty on her.

Dudeness
Dudeness 09/27/11 - 08:34 am
Along with other posters'

Along with other posters' suggestions regarding the hospital rant, did no one have a car that the old lady could be placed in and driven up to the ER? Or were we just that determined to do absolutely nothing until someone else stepped in to handle the problem?

happychimer
19392
happychimer 09/27/11 - 09:02 am
Maybe the injured lady could

Maybe the injured lady could not sit up. She hit her head and should not have been moved but by professionals.I am not surprised at anything concerning University ER. My husband fell on a cement floor and the orthopedic dr on duty told him to get up and walk; that there was nothing wrong with him but deep bruises. He described where the pain was, and the dr did not touch him. He ordered x-rays and told him there were no broken bones. Two wks later another dr checked him further, after my husband cocked an attitude, and found 3 hairline fractures.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/27/11 - 09:15 am
Speaking of another

Speaking of another study!!!!

Gwinnett county is launching a study on mass transit in the I-85 corridor...why are studies sooo expensive.....& how did we ever live w/o them years ago??...the cost will be $1.1million.

Vito45
Vito45 09/27/11 - 09:16 am
Right on HC; I would not have

Right on HC; I would not have done ANYTHING except comfort the lady until medics got there. The best of intentions can go south in a hurry when you are dealing with injuries and don't know what you are doing.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/27/11 - 10:13 am
Augusta needs a study to

Augusta needs a study to study all the studies.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/27/11 - 10:16 am
Augusta needs its head

Augusta needs its head examined.

mrs.fields
mrs.fields 09/27/11 - 10:18 am
Heaven is the best

Heaven is the best hairdresser ever!! The best Walmart has seen in years. Go Heaven!! :-)

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/27/11 - 10:24 am
My thoughts on the lady with

My thoughts on the lady with the injury were divided...seemed silly to call an ambulance in front of the hospital, but we really have no picture of the scene. Her visual injuries sounded bad enough that I probably wouldn't have allowed her to move. But don't hate on the First Responders, they are "some kind of wonderful" when you need them.

gagirl40
gagirl40 09/27/11 - 01:52 pm
The rant about the lady was

The rant about the lady was from me, and she is my mother. #1. I was not with her, she went to the doctor's office alone as it was just a normal check-up. #2. I did not say they took her to another hospital, she went to the University Hospital ER. #3. There were nurses and a guard with her along with the nice lady. Because she hit her head and had an obviously badly broken wrist they wouldn't let her move. #4. We aren't "hating" on the first responders. We just couldn't understand why it took so long to get her into the ER when she fell in the hospital parking lot. It would have been quicker had someone called the fire department instead. And just so you know, this happened last week and her wrist was broken in three places. She had to have surgery, but the doctor says she will be fine in a couple of months or so. Thanks again to those who came to her aide, ALL of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/27/11 - 03:11 pm
Some Ronnie Strenght

Some Ronnie Strenght supporters in the media are wondering who will give money to Richard Roundtree and have their contributions listed labeling them as being opposed to Strength. Besides it being a suggestion that it would not be smart to be listed as opposing Strength, I'd like to remind everyone Tim Shelnut told the Feds he slipped 10 grand to Strength in violation of campaign ethics rules.

That ended up with Strength in administrative court. Does anyone actually believe Shelnut would lie to the Feds about such a matter? If we are going to discuss the negqative ramifications of campaign contributions for the office of sheriff, I suggest Strength is at the disadvantage.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 09/27/11 - 05:26 pm
gagirl40, the ranting on the

gagirl40, the ranting on the ambulance was the hating line. First Responders deserve better; why not direct your questions to them?
Maybe you were feeling a little guilty about not being there to help your mother. Glad your mother received help, and that she is recovering. Hope you never have an opportunity to meet FR's, but if you do, you will understand my praise of them.

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/28/11 - 07:42 am
The photo of Deke at the

The photo of Deke at the Ironman looks a lot like Diana Nyad.

Georgia Regents' hospital plan chosen