Rants & Raves

HOW NICE OF GHSU to sponsor the Westobou Festival with layoffs looming.

RANT AND RAVE: My first rave is to the president. I’ve always been a supporter of President Obama. I think Bush left us in turmoil and Obama has done a good job to get us out. My rant is to the people who constantly want to badger him and bash him. My honest opinion is their main problem is his color. I am a white person.

ONE OF THE WAYS you may shrink your newspaper easily would be to allow Bill Kirby only one column a week. Thereby leaving out the postcards and old jokes and getting him to write something himself.

I ENJOY LIVING IN AUGUSTA, and Martinez is great. I drive the speed limit and obey the rules, but I get so sick and tired of people riding my bumper when I am driving the speed limit. It is not polite and it’s not the right thing to do. I’m fighting the urge to slam on my brakes and say if you want to sit in my back seat and kiss my bumper, have at it. Please stay off my bumper. Please stop riding my rear. I drive the speed limit and I obey the laws. You don’t have to get there that fast.

I DON’T UNDERSTAND why the government runs the USPS as a business. Mail service is a hallmark of civilized society. It should have a budget like any other important wing of the U.S. government like the IRS. You don’t hear them talking about going under!

I THINK NASA needs to put their “dream rocket” on hold. Now is not the time to ask the federal government for $35 billion to build the world’s most powerful rocket. Then again, if you’re chummy with anyone in the White House you just might be able to cut a deal. There are way too many crucial situations in this world that are in dire need and building some $35 billion rocket is not even on the list.

JUST LIKE THE Solyndra Deal, Obama’s American job plan is definitely not ready for “prime time.” But, Obama is taking his job show on the road and his stage is a dilapidated bridge in John Boehner’s district. Great comedy show

HOW CAN OBAMA be trusted with $450 billion when he totally flubbed with $500 million of our tax dollars?

I FEAR THE DEMOCRATS in Washington, Atlanta and Columbia more than I fear the arsenic in apple juice.

A RAVE FOR GPB! GPB has recently made some technical improvements so that now sections of Augusta which have not been able to reliably hear WACG -FM 90.7 - can hear it loud and clear. Now I can stop listening to South Carolina news.

I MAIL A PACKAGE to South Korea by Fed Ex and it is there in three days. I mail a birthday card in Martinez to my friend in Augusta and it took 10 days to arrive. No wonder the post office is losing business.

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 09/21/11 - 05:56 am
Ranter #2. If you are

Ranter #2. If you are serious, you are the type of voter that scares me. Can you name ONE, just ONE, accomplishment that President Obama can be credited for? All I'm asking for is ONE. The color of his skin matters not. He's inept and stands for socialism. If people had a problem with skin color, he never would have been elected. Think about that and see if you can make sense of that.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 09/21/11 - 06:55 am
Hey law abider who goes the

Hey law abider who goes the speed limit in the left lane and intentially holds back traffic, just get in the right lane and out of peoples way whom are passing slower cars like you. Your mentality kills me!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/11 - 07:51 am
Last rant----Try another post

Last rant----Try another post office....different workers.

etlinks
etlinks 09/21/11 - 07:54 am
bub you must be the driver

bub you must be the driver they were talking about and how do you know the driver was in the left hand lane? Drive smart.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/11 - 08:01 am
For the last 20 years or so

For the last 20 years or so we have been losing good paying jobs.....
I think that covers both sides of political leaders....R& D....let's stop with the blame game--- put them in the same pot about job loss----kick some rear ends out of DC & DEMAND the changes that will promote job growth again----just because YOU haven't been affected yet..doesn't mean that the next shoe that falls won't crush your little world....I'm waiting on the plan that will cover our problems----so far I don't see anyone with the right solutions......some articles even say our economy can't be fixed anytime soon...I hope they are wrong.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 09/21/11 - 08:05 am
A rant against those in the

A rant against those in the media who take personal swipes at the common people who have human interest stories written about them. Those posters who comment can say what they want, but for media people to slam with innuendo someone who has agreed to let a story be written about her as symbolic of young people trying to make, it is mean spirited.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/21/11 - 08:26 am
I have a RANT! Oh wait a

I have a RANT! Oh wait a minute it was just gas. Nevermind.

shrimp for breakfast
shrimp for breakfast 09/21/11 - 08:28 am
I like Bill Kirby's columns.

I like Bill Kirby's columns. He's a funny guy. I like Glenn Moore too.

Do you know why there are so many Johnson's in the phone book?

Because they all have Phones!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/11 - 09:14 am
Don't you folks realize we

Don't you folks realize we have a 6 ton satellite ready to fall from outer space....& here we sit posting away....:)

treetopyoung
treetopyoung 09/21/11 - 09:17 am
fatboyhog said name one

fatboyhog said name one accomplishment well here is one...with his efforts OSAMA BIN LADEN IS DEAD yes DEAD!!! How long did it take them to find Hussein with BUSHY in the house? Now all those people who lost someone on Sept 11, 2001 can find some kind od peace knowing the man that came up with that HORRIBLE act is GONE!!! There are many more to list, but I would be here forever. OBAMA 2012!!!!!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/11 - 09:28 am
and I rest my case jtf....:)

and I rest my case jtf....:)

Jane18
Jane18 09/21/11 - 10:17 am
Color does not make one iota

Color does not make one iota of what I, and others, think about obama. If he was white, I still would NOT be impressed with him. I didn't like him as a senator from Illinois because of what he stood for and/or the things he didn't stand against. Not one time did he impress me then, and unfortunately, still has not..........................

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/21/11 - 10:58 am
#1 understand your

#1 understand your frustration, good luck to all those who may be loosing their jobs.
#2 now what would make you think that people have a problem with Prez Obammy, er I mean Prez Obo***les? According to Sean that first one is not a racial slur at our president so his shade of brown must not be the issue, right?
#3 Bill Kirby and Sylvia Cooper are the best thing in the paper. People need to have a light hearted laugh now and then and Bill's column is truly non-partisan, something everyone can enjoy.
#4 another poster who missed the news story that Augusta ranks 3rd i the entire nation for deadly drivers
#5 bwahahaha now that's a funny post
#6 that's right space exploration and science are not important, we don't need all those GPS devices, cell phone, internet technology, weather imaging.....oooops maybe I was mistaken about that.
#7, 8, & 9 politics is great source of comedy, just ask all the comedians who make a living off of it
#10 Finally a rave! GPB rocks! I'm glad I can get both GA and SC npr because SC provides more music
#11 perhaps you need to take your complaint up with your local carrier, I've never posted anything local that took more than one day to arrive. Perhaps the person who was on the receiving end fibbed out of embarrassment of not thanking you promptly.

Only 1 Rave today? I will add to the raves then.
Rave for how wonderful the Arts in the Heart was on Broad Street, next year maybe we can include a whole lot more local artists and expand down to 11th Street or down the side streets that were blocked off.

Rave for the Iron Man this weekend bringing in about 4000 athletes. I look forward to volunteering this weekend you are fun people to meet.

Rave for the improved sidewalks with ramps that have been put in in various parts of town. It's good to see our physically disabled are finally getting a chance to go places without having to stay in a busy street to get there.

And finally Rave for the light at the intersection of Central Avenue and 15th Street. I've been avoiding that intersection for fear of my life so long I didn't know it was there until told. It was nice not to have to go out of my way to get onto 15th.

Chad
Chad 09/21/11 - 11:54 am
Arts in the Heart was a great

Arts in the Heart was a great time. However, paying five to seven dollars to enter an art show is just outrageous and will be the last time I spend hard-earned money to enter such a small event. That fee alone probably kept many more people from attending this event. Having been to many Art festivals and growing up with the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival one of the nation’s oldest, largest and most prestigious juried outdoor art festivals which had no entry fee to go and enjoy the work. Most art shows or festivities of the sorts charge the venders a certain amount based off their sales to cover all costs. All the city of Augusta did was treat the people that could not afford to pay the entry fee that they are not worthy of enjoying the festivities or artwork. Here was an event held in a public park, that our tax dollars are paying for and yet we still have to pay to enjoy it. That would be the same as paying to use the city park every time you take your kids to go play. These art shows are a great way to get the kids interested into arts. So from now on, I will be taking my family up to North Augusta or Aiken for their art shows. I get to see some of the same artist and I do not have to pay for that privilege.

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/21/11 - 02:26 pm
i knew it was just a matter

i knew it was just a matter of time before someone gave "the death of Bin Laden" credit to Obama....what did he do so special??? did he know where Bin Laden was ???? Did he tell the troops that they "had his permission" to kill that monster???? I believe the armed forces have been looking for this man for years.....

fftaz71
fftaz71 09/21/11 - 02:39 pm
Chad the irony is that it

Chad the irony is that it will probably cost you MORE to go to North Augusta or Aiken by the time you figure in gas. Five or Seven dollars is not a whole lot of money to ask for...we pay taxes for the park, not the people who run the events in the park. If youre going that route, the taxpayers pay for most sports stadiums but the tickets to those games held in those stadiums are no cheaper than in privately owned stadiums...my husband and I went to a Rays game when we lived in St. Pete. We paid 10.00 for parking 6 blocks from the stadium, a discounted price of 19.00 per ticket through our church group, and bought 2 chili dogs and a soda...for 35.00. We werent planning to eat at the stadium, but he had to work late so there wasnt much choice in the matter. People who cant afford 5 or 7 dollars to go to an art festival probably arent going to go anyway because if they cant pay for entry, they most likely arent going to be in the market for art either..their money will be spent elsewhere. Its sad to me that you said it was nice, then thats the last nice thing you had to say about the festival.

fftaz71
fftaz71 09/21/11 - 02:45 pm
tan...you DO realize that the

tan...you DO realize that the President is the ultimate commander in the Armed Services right? He is Commander in Chief and ultimately every military action is in some way sanctioned by Obama as the CIC. So, in essence, yes he DID give permission for them to take him out. He could have ordered them to stand down, and they would be held to those orders (anyone who didnt could be subject to punishment under UCMJ) It doesnt matter how long they were looking for him, Obama will be credited for it because it happened on his watch, under his command. I dont agree with everything he has done, but this is one instance where he did do something right.

BamaMan
BamaMan 09/21/11 - 03:08 pm
Is Raver #1 living in a dream

Is Raver #1 living in a dream world??? I think anyone that supports that man has GOT to be. How is YOUR life better? Every single thing we use or buy is 3-times the price since he got in office. YOU stop trying to pass the buck! Anyone that can still have an Obama/Biden sticker on their car at this point is sure a brave soul.

Vito45
Vito45 09/21/11 - 03:25 pm
fftaz71, I submit that

fftaz71, I submit that President Obama just happened to be the guy in the White House when Bin Laden was found. Clearly, it happened on his watch, he made the right call to go ahead with the mission, and for that he should have all the credit. However, that is as far as it goes; he was the benificiary of being at the right place at the right time, and personally did no more or less than Bush did or McCain would have.
History will show that "Obama got Bin Laden," which is just and fair; but I don't consider it an extraordinary accomplishment on his part.

daphne3520
daphne3520 09/21/11 - 03:36 pm
AMEN to "bubs," comment. It

AMEN to "bubs," comment. It is RIGHT on!!!!!

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 09/22/11 - 09:15 am
Obama says if you love him,

Obama says if you love him, there will be "no more division or delay" in passing his phony, dishonest "jobs bill".....

Recent polls indicate support for B-rock has slipped in the black community in the last six months from 83% to around 58%. Love is fleeting they say.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 09/22/11 - 09:29 am
Obama killed Osama bin Laden.

Obama killed Osama bin Laden. Just like he killed those three Somali pirates who had hijacked the Maersk Alabama?

Does Obama also get "street cred" for all the civilians and children killed in his increased drone attacks in Pakistan and Afghanistan? The press report how many 'suspected terrorists' are killed, but neglect the innocent folks also murdered(?) during the missile attacks "ordered" by C-I-C Obama.

ispy4u
ispy4u 09/22/11 - 03:08 pm
VITO, where were you when

VITO, where were you when people were giving Reagan credit for winning the Cold War and the hostages being released from Iran?

ispy4u
ispy4u 09/22/11 - 03:13 pm
Did Bush get credit for the

Did Bush get credit for the innocent people killed, while he was in office? Man where do you people draw the line? You know the ones murdered by C-I-C Bush ordered missile attacks?

City Ink: New board means more work for me

First Mayor-elect Hardie Davis will be sworn in, and the very next day the work will begin. Commissioners will meet and the gavel will fall. It will be a brand new day at City Hall.