Boral Bricks to lay off 70 Augusta workers

The nation’s largest brickmaker will be cooling two of its Augusta kilns in November.

Boral Bricks Inc. on Tuesday announced layoffs to start in 60 days at its facilities on Arthern Road, affecting about 70 employees.

Boral Bricks president, Bob Kepford, said there is a surplus of bricks that need to be absorbed into the housing market and the plant shutdown might last six months.

“This is the second time we’ve had these facilities idled during this downturn. The market for bricks is new home construction and that market is in pretty bad shape,” Kepford said.

The first shutdown was between December 2008 and April 2009. Another facility on Doug Barnard Parkway was closed in July 2009 and still hasn’t restarted.

Boral has 23 brick making plants in the Southeast and only 10 of them are operating, Kepford said.

“We anticipate a return to full operations as market conditions improve,” he said. “The forecasters keep predicting that there’ll be improvement, but that has yet to come in the last two years. We’re hoping that the market will turn a corner here soon.”

The U.S. Commerce Department said Tuesday that builders began work on a seasonally adjusted 571,000 homes in August, a 5 percent decline from July and a three-month low.

Single-family homes, which represent roughly two-thirds of home construction, fell 1.4 percent. Apartment building plunged 12.4 percent.

Home construction is down nearly 6 percent over the past year.

Boral Bricks’ corporate services facility in Augusta, employing 104 people, is not affected by Tuesday’s announcement.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 12:48 pm
Six months is not a

Six months is not a temporary lay off.

SamGriffin
SamGriffin 09/20/11 - 12:54 pm
My husband is a Maintenance

My husband is a Maintenance worker for Boral Bricks. We are expecting our first child in only 3 weeks. This is the most terrible news we could have gotten at such a happy time.

Vito45
Vito45 09/20/11 - 01:23 pm
So sorry to hear that Sam. We

So sorry to hear that Sam. We are undergoing restructuring too that is costing 1000 jobs; so even though it doesn't ease your pain any, there are many out there suffering the same fate these days. Come next November, please vote. In the meantime, prayers for your hubby to find work to feed you and the new baby.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 09/20/11 - 01:31 pm
I am sorry too, Sam. Your

I am sorry too, Sam. Your husband will need a lot of encouragement and affirmation from you. You can get through this and strengthen your marriage at the same time. Keep praying that work will become available to him. Congrats on the baby.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/11 - 02:14 pm
I'm sitting here in my comfy

I'm sitting here in my comfy house & eating my stew with cornbread & I ran across this article...

The pain behind the poverty---we are in deep poopoo in this country---& it isn't going away with our arrogant government decisions...both sides I'm afraid....we might think we are safe from danger just because we might have a nice retirement check coming in...but we are not ....not all are lazy...some are begging for work...I'm sorry for the workers at this plant---just like Thermo-King...no one saw this coming..
If we don't stick together & do something about this (like buy American & demand it) we will be digging our own graves.

david jennings
david jennings 09/20/11 - 02:39 pm
Bad news indeed.Merry/Boral

Bad news indeed.Merry/Boral Brick has been around a long time.Im really sorry for the employees and certainly the couple expecting the baby.Yes we need a leader(s) because right now I dont see or hear anything encouraging coming from this president or congress.I promise Ill get out and vote.

usklxm72
usklxm72 09/20/11 - 03:24 pm
Vote for whoooo? Are there

Vote for whoooo? Are there any candidates worthy of a vote?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/20/11 - 05:04 pm
usklxm.....Tune in here next

usklxm.....Tune in here next fall we will be very vocal on voting....

madgerman
madgerman 09/20/11 - 07:25 pm
David. I don't know what the

David. I don't know what the problenm is but this company is operating under the Bush tax cut policys and has been for the last 3 years. So who do you blame for the downturn in the economy? Lets face it the Corporate big wigs will suffer very little because of the companys actions and probably will not miss a weekend of golf over it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/21/11 - 07:27 am
I've been thinking a march on

I've been thinking a march on the Capitol---BRING JOBS BACK----constant calls to congress---I'm surprised the Sharpton-& jessee haven't already stirred that pot.......the black unemployment is around 16%...are they too comfy now.....are they in the top 2% of wealth......you know that happens when you have your own tv show,,,,just asking ....so don't jump on me for asking...

fd1962
fd1962 09/21/11 - 07:39 am
Excess inventory? Then why

Excess inventory? Then why did it take more than an hour to load the last bricks I purchased there?

jbartley
jbartley 09/21/11 - 07:47 am
Working class people have

Working class people have been the backbone of this Country for ever and we need jobs. We keep sending doctors and lawyers to Washington and think they will create jobs for working people.

Brad Owens
Brad Owens 09/21/11 - 10:08 am
Hows that "Change" working

Hows that "Change" working out for ya? Bringing much "Hope" as of late?

Students train to be first-responders

It might seem very intense for a training scenario, but the instructors of A.R. Johnson's Teen Community Emergency Response Class believe stress and realism are the best teachers.