Rants and Raves

I SURE WISH the downtown library would make it clear who’s got to pay for their meeting room. I just got charged $325, and now I hear the some groups get the room free. What gives?

A RAVE FOR Augusta police: Thanks to the officer who helped my daughter on Wednesday on Walton Way when her car was hit. He was nice to her and stayed with her until the tow truck could get there.

THE MOST SUCCESSFUL Richmond Academy team of the 1950s was the girl’s basketball team. I was just wondering why their accomplishments continue to go unnoticed?

TO THE ATHEISTS, I really think Chick-fil-A and any other business has the right to close on Sunday. Many moons ago when all businesses closed on Sunday, it meant more time with family, and I personally admire anyone that does close on Sunday and wish all businesses would do so; it might be a better world than what it is now with the greed for the almighty dollar in the driver’s seat.

GERI SAMS IN the Procurement Department is the problem. Not Fred Rus­sell. Just look at what she has cost the city in lawsuits that have been settled because of the defiance of proper procedure in the Procurement Department. Russell is just a red herring to cover up the lawsuit we just lost. Investigate Sams and the Procurement Department.

THIS IS A RANT against television producers and a deplorable habit they’ve adopted to waste minutes
out of a half-hour or hour-long show. I’m not talking about commercials. I speak of those blurbs they stick in, telling
you before the show starts what you are going to see, then showing you again before a break to commercial what you are going to see, then showing you what you just viewed when they come back from a commercial. Is the American public that stupid?

IF YOU’VE BEEN with the same person going on 12 years and you became ill and went to the hospital and were in the hospital for five days, wouldn’t you think it was kind of rude that the person never came to see you when you were in the hospital?

SOMEONE WROTE that until Augusta is rid of Commissioners Alvin Mason and Bill Lockett, our city will stay in turmoil. I’ll give you three choices of who could have wrote that: the mayor, the administrator or the fire chief.

A RANT FOR Augusta drivers. I’m new to this area, but it didn’t take me long to figure out when a light turns red you’d better wait for a few seconds because there is going to be at least two more cars that run through it. That seems to be the normal thing around here. That and no turn signals. And of course, none of you know how to read a speed limit sign.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 09/05/11 - 11:56 pm
What the heck is in the

What the heck is in the Richmond County water? I've been sick since mid-summer and finally stopped using tap water and the symptoms are going away. I couldn't even brush my teeth with a little tap water on my toothbrush without an allergic reaction! Did you change type or quantity of chlorine or flouride in the water??? Is there a way to test a residence's water without spending an arm and a leg?

Techfan
Techfan 09/06/11 - 08:46 am
Did I miss something about

Did I miss something about anyone not allowing businesses to close any day they wanted?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/11 - 09:09 am
Start using bottledwater

Start using bottledwater AL...just to be on the safe side...my kin had trouble with the water too.......years ago. In South Augusta.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/11 - 09:21 am
To the poster who spent days

To the poster who spent days in the hospital & their live-in didn't come to see them.......Houston we have a problem.....heres your sign...

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/06/11 - 09:23 am
The person who submitted Rant

The person who submitted Rant #1 above about fees for the meeting room at the new library got me to thinking. It sounds like the way the city rec. department ran the Patch for all these years. Some had to pay green fees and cart rental and some were waved on through with a wink and a nod.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/11 - 09:24 am
The last ranter just said

The last ranter just said that weuns in theSouth jest kant reed a rooode segn....but yet they stay in the SOUTH..Greyhound is ready-Delta too!

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 09/06/11 - 09:24 am
There are a lot of people who

There are a lot of people who are afraid of hospitals.

happychimer
happychimer 09/06/11 - 09:58 am
Drivers can't read a speed

Drivers can't read a speed limit sign, but they sure can hold a phone up to their ear. When a light turns gree, I watch to see how many will run a red light. As for turn signals, they don't mean a thing. I see drivers have the left turn signal on, but they turn right. We do have terrible drivers.

garner49
garner49 09/06/11 - 10:05 am
'One' of the reasons I've

'One' of the reasons I've continued to subscribe to the Chronicle for over 30-years now, is the TV schedule. I look to see if there is anything worth turning the TV on for, often not. If you delete it, there's one less reason to keep it. I don't mind the narrower page, many others have it. Keep the TV guide. No, I'm not paying for the weekly guide that is often wrong.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/06/11 - 10:11 am
Good Morning SeenitB4 and LL,

Good Morning SeenitB4 and LL, it's a beautiful cool morning in Augusta!
Hope ya'll have a wonderful day.

Ranter #7- Did you ask your friend why they didn't come to see you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/11 - 10:56 am
Good morning Willow &

Good morning Willow & all----gotta run ...my hubby sez there is life beyond this computer ...yikes...could that be true....& I thought everything was right here at my fingertips....crime-love-hate-sex-drugs-fiction-facts-food-guns-politics-murder-breakins-
He sez no......this is make believe ...sigh..

Have a great day.:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/06/11 - 10:59 am
daphne3520
daphne3520 09/06/11 - 11:50 am
AMEN to the last Rant, with

AMEN to the last Rant, with much emphasis!!!!!

dichotomy
dichotomy 09/06/11 - 11:56 am
"I’ll give you three choices

"I’ll give you three choices of who could have wrote that: the mayor, the administrator or the fire chief."

Hmmm, I think I may have wrote that. Ask Alvin or Bill what's their plan to save money. They don't have a plan. Never had, never will. Their favorite song is "The Way Things Were". They want to keep doing things the same failed way we have been doing them for 15 years. Russell's plan may or may not work but at least he had a plan. In a crisis, the first guy with a plan usually gets the nod. That's what happened here. Alvin Angry and Bill Blowhard will always oppose any plan that reduces their power and patronage. Don't be fooled. They don't really care about the pay raises. They are just using the raises as an excuse to try to gut the reorganization plan, restore their power, and keep their friends and family employed at the taxpayers expense. I'm no great fan of Fred Russell but at least he had a plan to do things a little differently and get the commissioner's squabbling out of every little day to day decision and durned if we didn't need to try SOMETHING. Now if his plan doesn't work, or if he screws the taxpayers with this ball park scheme, then I'll be ready to throw him overboard. The question remains for Alvin and Bill .....hey, WHAT'S YOUR PLAN???

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 09/06/11 - 11:58 am
Try driving in New York City

Try driving in New York City or Washington, DC.

happychimer
happychimer 09/06/11 - 12:19 pm
emergencyfan no thank you.

emergencyfan no thank you.

comet2u
comet2u 09/06/11 - 12:58 pm
Driven in NYC, DC, LA,

Driven in NYC, DC, LA, Chicago, Asia and Europe many times. The ranter has it correct. Augusta drivers are the worst for all the reasons listed. One day to work 7 stop lights. Cross traffic was still flowing through 5 of the 7 lights when I had full green. The other 2 lights drivers were changing lanes in the middle of the intersection.

comet2u
comet2u 09/06/11 - 01:02 pm
As for speed limit signs in

As for speed limit signs in Augusta, the posted number appears to be the minimum not the maximum. The behavior will continue as it is not enforced.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 09/06/11 - 01:05 pm
Ranter #1. You must not be

Ranter #1. You must not be from Augusta. You see down here there are different rules for different people. If you knew the "right" people or had a certain last name then you would have probably gotten the romm for free. It's called the good-ole-boy system. YOu obviously must not be a part of it if you were charged that much to use the meeting room.

Cadence
Cadence 09/06/11 - 01:06 pm
Written that, not wrote that.

Written that, not wrote that.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/06/11 - 01:33 pm
Emergencyfan is correct. I

allhans
allhans 09/06/11 - 02:13 pm
When I lived in Fl the early

When I lived in Fl the early morning jocks would say "okay, all you free-way drivers..on the count of three..Everybody switch lanes ,...one, two, three..."
it was just that crazy.

allhans
allhans 09/06/11 - 02:12 pm
Am I paying extra for the TV

Am I paying extra for the TV guide that is included with my Sat. paper?
I didn't know that? How much?

allhans
allhans 09/06/11 - 02:16 pm
Regarding the hospital stay

Regarding the hospital stay without a visit, I don't think I would describe that as "rude". Non-caring is more like it.
But it would all depend on how well I was treated after I went home.
Might be time to say 12 is enough.

tanbaby
tanbaby 09/06/11 - 02:24 pm
to the post about the

to the post about the hospital stay....did you really have to post it on here to realize that there is a problem with it????? if you have been with someone for 12 years and you are in the hospital for 5 HOURS, you should expect them to be with you....i know i would....

Vito45
Vito45 09/06/11 - 02:29 pm
justthefacts Tuesday, Sep. 6

justthefacts
Tuesday, Sep. 6 1:33 PM
"Emergencyfan is correct. I have lived in NY and DC, also Miami, Orlando, and Charlotte. And now, Atl. It's the same everywhere. You have the same "slow driver in the left lane syndrome", people going too fast, running traffic lights, whatever....Of course it's more magnified in the larger cities."

Dittos. Every time I read someone's rant about Augusta drivers I think: " Friend, you haven't driven in many other cities have you?"

I've driven in Chicago, Los Angeles and all of Sou Cal, San Fransisco, New York City and surrounding areas, Dallas, Houston, every large city in the Southeastern United States, Seattle, Vancouver, Montreal; and a few in Europe. It is all the same wherever you go.

justthefacts
justthefacts 09/06/11 - 03:01 pm
Allhans, Guy had a flat tire

Allhans, Guy had a flat tire on 285 the other day. He pulled over to the shoulder, but before he could get out three guys jacked up his car, changed his tire, and told him to "hurry up, you're in 3rd place"! Apologizes to Lewis Grizzard.

allhans
allhans 09/06/11 - 04:17 pm
Cute. Very cute.

Cute. Very cute.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 09/06/11 - 04:38 pm
Bad drivers? The hell you

Bad drivers? The hell you say.....maybe they're not very much of a defensive driver, or a courteous driver, or a focused driver....they could be mentally challenged drivers....or impaired by drugs or alcohol, or both. In some cases here in the CSRA, ALL OF THE ABOVE seem to apply.

A while back two females stopped in the middle of the road to light up and smoke a marijuana cigar, apparently oblivious to the cop behind them. According to the paper the cop arrested them after the
dynamic duo admitted to "stopping to light up".

Drive like everyone on the same road is out to kill you, and you may get where you're going without having to call your insurance agent or an ambulance.

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 09/06/11 - 05:59 pm
How do we know the ones'

How do we know the ones' running the red lights are southerners?
Sounds more like nothern impatience.