Rants & Raves

THE DOG WHO was brutally killed at Maxim Crane was named “Chuckie.” Six years ago, she took homestead at Maxim Crane. She was not there for security purposes. The guys and ladies that worked there took good care of her, sharing in the cost of dog food and bringing her leftovers. They built her a dog house out in the back, but she chose to stand guard at the gate. The house was moved out front for her. The people who worked there often went by on weekends and nights to give her food. Even when Maxim closed shop in Augusta, the guys and ladies would still care for Chuckie by going by. I agree, whoever killed her is a lowlife and deserves to be punished. We will all miss Chuckie.

A RANT TO DFCS in Augusta. Why is it that no one will ever answer the phones? And if you do finally get someone, they put you on hold for 20 minutes and then hang up. You call back and the line is busy. Leave a message and no one calls back.

A TREMENDOUS RAVE to the Praise Band at Warren Baptist during the 10:45 a.m. service in the sanctuary. I always enjoy your amazing talent and appreciate the dedication you show to the Glory of God.

I AGREE WITH THE person about dogs being in the back of a truck. This is a dangerous situation for a dog, and the owner should show more compassion for the safety of this animal. Let them ride inside the truck with you or at least provide a safety device.

I PERSONALLY LIKED Barnes & Noble better when the store was at its former location. Parking was easier, and I liked the layout of the store. This is just my opinion, and I guess I don’t handle change well at my age and stage.

SHAME ON WELLS Fargo for not exempting college students from the new fees on debit cards – this is absolute greed.

UNTIL AUGUSTA IS rid of the cabal, it will stay in the past.

RAVES TO THE LADIES who prepare the food for Bonnie Ruben’s Southern Cooking lunch buffet at the Broad Street hotel. The food – barbecue chicken, shepherd’s pie, rutabagas, black-eyed peas, squash, and corn bread – was delicious. Brought back pleasant gustatory memories of my youth. The lunch buffet is a downtown gem.

I AM NOT DEBATING the raises as to right or wrong, but if Fred Russell was job-searching on vacation, does he not have that right? Wouldn’t you if you were in his shoes? After all, it’s not like this city doesn’t have the reputation for running city administrators out of town on a rail.

WE’RE NOT EVEN through with the Irene calamity, yet the Republicans immediately want to pay for the damages through cuts to Medicare and Social Security benefits. Bless their shameless souls.

allhans
allhans 09/02/11 - 10:39 pm
The last rant has a serious

The last rant has a serious problem with comprehension I'm afraid... Or telling the truth.

allhans
allhans 09/03/11 - 08:50 am
The fee on debit cards is

The fee on debit cards is $3.00 a month for 1 use or 100 uses.
And you want an exemption for $3.00? Really!

Just leave off a soft drink.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 09/03/11 - 03:17 am
What is the CABAL mentioned

What is the CABAL mentioned in Rant #7?

copperhead
copperhead 09/03/11 - 05:57 am
The "rich" are to blame for

The "rich" are to blame for Irene pure and simple. Make them pay for it.

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/11 - 07:51 am
You know what....sometimes

You know what....sometimes people ask me what's so good about the South...haha...if only they could understand..

Wake up in the morning to hummingbirds & honeysuckle smells....with a little morning glory mixed in.....nice cool breeze...
Coffee pot ready & the paper at the door....neighbors who care about your well-being & always smile when you come around...

Great food like mac & cheese-shrimp & grits--barbecue--all kinds of pies---& that SWEET ice tea...fresh homegrown tomatoes & siver queen corn.....
Southern men ready to protect you in any way shape or form...pickup trucks-dogs & gun racks in the truck....pontoon boats on a nice North Ga lake..
A nice cool one (Bud) & games on tv.....& that GREAT country music playing in the background..

If you don't live in Dixie I feel sorry forya!!
I'll be enjoying some of these things this weekend ..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/03/11 - 07:55 am
tanbaby
tanbaby 09/03/11 - 08:06 am
to seenitB4--i agree

to seenitB4--i agree wholeheartedly with you about the south...if you don't like it, MOVE..it's just that simple...it's not gonna change....

tomcasey
tomcasey 09/03/11 - 10:37 am
seenitB4 - I saw your posting

seenitB4 - I saw your posting about Gwinnett Braves and how they are struggling for attendance in the Atlanta area.

It is time some facts really start to be brought into the discussion or obsession Mayor Copenhaver has with a taxpayer financed baseball stadium.

tomcasey
tomcasey 09/03/11 - 10:44 am
This is from the Baltimore

This is from the Baltimore newspaper about the problems the flagship Cal Ripken stadium is giving the people of Aberdeen, Maryland...

tomcasey
tomcasey 09/03/11 - 10:50 am
If you want to see how

If you want to see how successful the Ripken Stadium has been for the city and county of Aberdeen Maryland check out the article in the Baltimore Sun...

Taylor B
Taylor B 09/03/11 - 10:51 am
I live is South Augusta. Im

I live is South Augusta. Im not smelling any honeysuckles over here, ha ha!

allhans
allhans 09/03/11 - 11:41 am
I was born in Ga. I was bred

I was born in Ga. I was bred in Ga. BUT never have I had any such dish as shrimp and grits. Without the benefit (?) of trying it, I will only say "UGH!"

Vito45
Vito45 09/03/11 - 11:46 am
If you like shrimp, and if

If you like shrimp, and if you like grits; there are some scrumptious recipes out there.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 09/03/11 - 12:06 pm
The Gwinnett Braves, now

The Gwinnett Braves, now struggling for attendance in the Atlanta area, once reigned for many years as the highly successful Richmond Braves in Richmond, Virginia. Guess the stadium got too old and the city couldn't afford a new one, so them Braves up and moved to Georgia. The Richmond stadium was once a fine stadium.

I went many times to the Savannah Braves games in Savannah. Great stuff in AA ball. I saw Tommy Arron and a few other "old five and dimers"....Just can't get excited about single-A ball.

Cassandra Harris
Cassandra Harris 09/03/11 - 12:40 pm
shrimp and grits are a staple

shrimp and grits are a staple of most of the south, can't believe anyone raised down here hasn't heard of them. Crums on Central Avenue serves up a delicious version I hear.

happychimer
happychimer 09/03/11 - 01:30 pm
I have heard of shrimp and

I have heard of shrimp and grits but never saw or tasted any. I was born in the South and never lived anywhere but the South.

ECDanes
ECDanes 09/03/11 - 02:12 pm
shrimp and grits is more of a

shrimp and grits is more of a coastal dish, most identified with Charleston. I can understand how someone from the piedmont or appalachia may be unfamiliar with it.

allhans
allhans 09/03/11 - 02:42 pm
Is Georgia considered

Is Georgia considered appalachia or the peidmont?
I hear some speak of Columbia SC as "the Piedmont" and the mountainous area as appalachia, but here in Augusta? That is new to me.
I love shrimp. One of my favorite appetizers and of course I eat them fried.
Grits with bacon, eggs, ham, sausage. It doesn't get any better than that.

Pandalover
Pandalover 09/03/11 - 03:32 pm
Whoever killed that poor dog

Whoever killed that poor dog has no soul and hope they get whats coming to them. The people should have put the dog somewhere besides out front because its not a very safe area any way - not fit for man nor beast. I hate the new location of Barnes and Noble as well.

ECDanes
ECDanes 09/03/11 - 04:13 pm
allhans.. it all depends what

allhans.. it all depends what part of Georgia you are from. Atlanta and Athens is Piedmont. Augusta is considered the sand hills like Columbia, SC. Hiawassee and Clayton are appalachia. Savannah and Brunswick are obviously the coastal region, and that is where shrimp and grits is more common. It's like here in Augusta, the style of BBQ that is popular is actually eastern north carolina style. BUt then Augusta BBQ joints has this dish called Hash, which is more of a coastal thing. You go to BBQ places in west Georgia and it's completely different style. The cooking styles and prefences found thoughout Georgia is actually quite diverse.. but sweet tea seems to be a benchmark throughout.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/03/11 - 06:49 pm
allhans, I have to take you

allhans, I have to take you to Charleston, girl, and get you southernized.
Lunch at Magnolia's, and dinner at Plantation Grill. Shrimp and grits, crabcakes, collard greens & Carolina succotash! Shopping on King Street, and margarita's anywhere. You just can't go through life without knowing these things.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/03/11 - 06:58 pm
Craig, the CABAL is a name

Craig, the CABAL is a name that has been given to the group of people who control Augusta and politics for personal financial gain and power and often masquerade as philanthropist.

Willow Bailey
20579
Willow Bailey 09/03/11 - 07:08 pm
I wish we could have a list

I wish we could have a list of the bad words that send your post to que.
Shopping? Charleston? Collards? Grits? Magnolia's?

happychimer
happychimer 09/03/11 - 07:37 pm
Never trust anyone who does

Never trust anyone who does not love animals.

Vito45
Vito45 09/03/11 - 10:13 pm
Willow, it has gotten

Willow, it has gotten ridiculous. All that has to happen is someone to find offense and you get flagged. It IS their board, so THEIR rules apply; but it is nonsense that you can't offer your opinion without someone or the admin taking offense and flagging it. It is a public opinion board for heaven's sake!

seenitB4
seenitB4 09/04/11 - 03:06 pm
Ingredients |SHRIMP& GRITS •1

Ingredients
|SHRIMP& GRITS
•1 cup stone-ground grits
•Salt and pepper
•1/4 cup butter
•2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
•1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined, left whole if small and roughly chopped if medium or large
•6 slices bacon, chopped into tiny pieces
•4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
•2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
•1 cup thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
•1 large garlic clove, minced
Directions

Want it? Click it.
1. To make the shrimp and grits recipe, bring 4 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste. Stir well with a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and cook the grits until all the water is absorbed, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and cheese. Keep covered until ready to serve.

2. Rinse the shrimp and pat dry. Fry the bacon in a large skillet until browned and crisp, then drain on a paper towel. Add the shrimp to the bacon grease in the skillet and saute over medium heat just until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Do not overcook! Immediately add the lemon juice, parsley, green onions, and garlic. Remove the skillet from the heat.

3. Pour the grits into a serving bowl. Pour the shrimp mixture over the grits. Garnish with the bacon bits.

Note: If you are serving this as an appetizer, spoon 1/4 cup grits onto a bread or salad plate.

For the innocents----never have had this dish B4....

Have you ever had fried chicken livers-pigs feet-hash-shrimp creole!

URA votes to issue bonds for Municipal Building renovation

Augusta's Urban Redevelopment Agency agreed Thursday to issue nearly $27 million in revenue bonds to raise up to $28.5 million in cash for ongoing renovations and a new information technology ...