Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers.

THIS IS A RANT to the psychiatrist who was so worried about small charges to others’ credit cards. I have never carried a monthly balance on any credit card, and I make small charges to my credit card associated with my checking account in order to earn way more monthly interest than any saving account. So mind your own business.

THIS IS A RANT for the library at Telfair and Greene streets. I saw that woman with those two irate kids – heavy, fat lady with blue hairspray in her hair, 50-something years old – trying to fight a woman that has been coming to the library for years. Sometimes it’s not the kids, it’s the parents. Whatever is wrong with you, you need to get that fixed. The library is not a boxing ring or an animal house. So if you are an animal, you need to get put out to pasture.

WHEN BEYONCE’S PREGNANCY becomes national headline news, this is proof positive that the United States has become one of the dumbest countries on the entire world.

THIS IS A RANT to the Rich­mond County Board of Educa­tion to give parents scripted and pat answers. That makes no sense at all. Most of you have doctorates, and you can’t stand before a group of parents and articulate your answers without having it scripted and the questions written down ahead of time. Get real, BOE; that’s a disgrace.

THE AFTERNOON RADIO talk show host is such a hypocrite. He makes no bones about his dislike of country music, yet give him a chance to be at any news event with Lady Antebellum and he’s their biggest fan. Go figure.

UNTIL AUGUSTA IS RID of Mason and Lockett, our city will stay in turmoil.

WHAT’S MORE INTOXICATING while driving and has caused more accidents in the past two years: alcohol or cell phones? I would bet that it’s cell phones. Could we manage for one week without cell phones?

RANT FOR THE Savannah Riverkeeper. You people claim to clean up the river. After that lame Paddlefest, which seems like a kiddy ride compared to the old Raft Race, you left all your promotional signs all willy-nilly. Some of the signs blew into the river, and you also left some floating markers in the river, causing a boat hazard. Pick up after yourself and get that 200-foot pipe and other trash you left lying around at the riverfront marina.

THIS IS TO ALL the Richmond County commissioners: If you take back all the raises that Fred Russell just gave out, it would look good in the eyes of the taxpayer because it was wrong.

DISRESPECT AND RESPECT are NOT verbs. They are nouns.

Comments (48)

tcowan13
tcowan13 08/30/11 - 10:04 pm

How did people ever survive

How did people ever survive without Cell phones? Everywhere that I go in Augusta,I see people driving and talking on Cell phones.Mark my words,using cell phones in any way while Driving a vehicle will be against the law one day...

dougk
dougk 08/30/11 - 10:06 pm

Cell phone envy??

Cell phone envy??

dougk
dougk 08/30/11 - 10:08 pm

"I’M SICK AND TIRED of

"I’M SICK AND TIRED of Lincoln’s deification and MLK. These people are not heroes."

Where did that come from??

Emerydan
Emerydan 08/30/11 - 10:49 pm

dougk.. "Where did that come

dougk.. "Where did that come from?".. probably from some bitter old racist. Anyone who who doesn't consider Lincoln to be one of the greatest American presidents and heroes probably needs to find another country to live in.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/31/11 - 12:52 am

For how long will a certain

For how long will a certain local news-talk radio station persist in offering in its afternoon drive-time period adolescent, after-school drivel from a sophomoric host?

fatboyhog
fatboyhog 08/31/11 - 06:39 am

Sophomoric? I'm thinking more

Sophomoric? I'm thinking more like freshman.

Riverman1
Riverman1 08/31/11 - 06:41 am

8th grader.

8th grader.

bubbasauce
bubbasauce 08/31/11 - 06:57 am

When is the state of Georgia

When is the state of Georgia going to outlaw talking on cell phones? A lot of states have a hefty fine if you get caught talking while driving. For instance, New Jersey has a little $225.00 fine for getting caught talking in a vehicle. Guess what? Nobody talks while driving, and that is great! What a great way to come up with millions for Augusta because almost everywhere you go all you see is all these people talking, probably about nothing!

dougk
dougk 08/31/11 - 07:02 am

I've stopped listening to the

I've stopped listening to the radio in the afternoon.

Carleton Duvall
Carleton Duvall 08/31/11 - 08:28 am

Hannity is on at the same

Hannity is on at the same time you know who is on. Much better program.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/31/11 - 09:00 am

Are there two New Jersey's?

Are there two New Jersey's? I go to New Jersey and they are still talking and driving. I agree you shouldn't use a phone while driving and do agree with the law. But trust me on this, they are still plenty of people who think they are driving a phone booth.

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 09:28 am

I didn't get the "cell phone

I didn't get the "cell phone envy"comment, what's with that.
Surely you know that most everyone who desires a cell phone has access to one, they probably just might not let it rule their lives.

The people calling (or that you are calling) surely can wait. Most of the conversations is just not so important as to interfere with driving and endangering the lives of others.

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 09:16 am

The MLK/Lincoln rant is one

The MLK/Lincoln rant is one person's opinion. It casts no reflection on me (I can't speak for others).
Retired army, Why do you say "southerners"..when you don't know the person or even where the message was sent from..or do you?

dichotomy
dichotomy 08/31/11 - 09:28 am

"DISRESPECT AND RESPECT are

"DISRESPECT AND RESPECT are NOT verbs. They are nouns."

Hmmm, are you trying to make a statement or is this a public school education showing. Both words are nouns AND verbs. I just could not let it pass.

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 09:31 am

As a personal choice, I use

As a personal choice, I use the term "loss of respect" to "disrespect".
I just don't like the word "disrespect".it's, kinda , ya know...

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/11 - 09:49 am

I respect your right to show

I respect your right to show disrespect for the word disrespect. Now, what are your thoughts on the use of irregardless?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/11 - 10:02 am

irregardless : Used by people

irregardless : Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude meanie will correct you.

:O)

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/11 - 10:04 am

I sho nuff wish you all a

I sho nuff wish you all a good morning !!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/11 - 10:12 am

I thought the same thing

I thought the same thing about Beyonces pregnancy.....we keep up with the crazy stuff & the big stuff floats right on bye-----
Cell phones are here to stay----just like some drugs---pretty soon we will have an attachment to our ear...that will be a permanent cellphone...we won't lose it anymore......also a chip to make a computer screen anywhere we go-that will be connected to a homebased central station.....our car will run on programed roads using gps.....we will be free to use the puter at all times .........oh the wonder of it all!!

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 10:32 am

JUST for

JUST for FUN!http://frankneudecker.com/index.php/2011/08/26/radio-host-gets-a-call-listen-you-wont-believe-what-you-hear/

Jane18
Jane18 08/31/11 - 10:46 am

I have heard reporters,

I have heard reporters, politicians, teachers and others supposedly with a higher education,say "irregardless", and it makes me wonder how they learned(?) that word(?). How about "I" instead of "me" in the correct context of the sentence or question? or the word patronize with a long a sound, when it should be said with a short a sound because of the meaning at that time? Re:R&R 4---You must remember.........they are politicians!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/31/11 - 11:45 am

Beautiful song & great country singer....
seeya later folks

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/31/11 - 12:17 pm

There is NO such word as

There is NO such word as "irregardless." Think about that! Means same as "regardless," no?

MadSnapper
MadSnapper 08/31/11 - 12:24 pm

This thread reminds me of one

This thread reminds me of one of the all time great movie characters...Pootytang...no one ever understood a word he said, but they always knew what he meant. Sadatay.

FalseHopeLooseChange
FalseHopeLooseChange 08/31/11 - 12:29 pm

"Anyone who who doesn't

"Anyone who who doesn't consider Lincoln to be one of the greatest American presidents and heroes probably needs to find another country to live in".

Lincoln was the president who suspended Habeas Corpus for the country, instituted a draft for citizens to fight in a war they didn't believe in, instituted a tax on citizens to pay for a war they didn't believe in, had his 'ACORN/SEIU' supporters raid and destroy newspaper offices who were critical of him; and he freed only the Southern slaves due to political expediency. Lincoln was not that all caring about the freed blacks unless it was politically beneficial to him. And don't forget he was a Republican.

I guess it all depends on which history book you read, and if you have your politically correct reading glasses on or not. Even Obama will go in history as 'one of the greatest presidents' and 'an American hero' by the time liberal historians get thru with his legacy.......

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 01:39 pm

"irregardless" one of

"irregardless" one of "those" words that were acceptable until recent history. Some kind person took the time to ask a question, and as we know, found it to be NOT a word.

It's kind of like "I couldn't care less"..how long was that used before someone said "STOP iT!"

dougk
dougk 08/31/11 - 01:47 pm

"I couldn't care less" is

"I couldn't care less" is what a person means to say, not "I could care less." Just sit and think about if you are having difficulty following the logic.
And, just when in history was "irregardless" acceptable?

allhans
21987
allhans 08/31/11 - 01:50 pm

Maybe not "acceptable" but

Maybe not "acceptable" but used without question.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/31/11 - 01:51 pm

I couldn't care less if

I couldn't care less if someone disrepected the King's English by using the word irregardless. But, it does get my attention.

dougk
dougk 08/31/11 - 02:06 pm

That's one of the problems

That's one of the problems today, Allhans. Everyone thinks his/her opinions, largely based on personal experiences or, worse yet, talking heads on TV, carry the same weight as the facts.

Area unemployment drops

State labor department figures indicate a slight decline in the unemployment rate for the Augusta metro area for March.