Augusta area shakes off earthquake

Residents from downtown Augusta to Appling to Graniteville felt small shakes from the 5.8-magnitude earthquake that was centered 40 miles northwest of Richmond, Va., about 1:55 p.m. Tuesday.

“A lot of people felt it just sitting in their chairs,” said Pam Tucker, the director of Columbia County Emergency Management Agency.

Reports of shaking windows, blinds, pictures, desks and other unsecured items came in after the earthquake, Tucker said. No damage was reported in the Augusta area, she said.

The Augusta-Richmond County Municipal Building on Greene Street was one shaken building, she said. Taller buildings typically feel tremors more, Tucker said.

Other reports came from the Columbia County Board of Education administration building on Hereford Farm Road and the Bridgestone plant in Graniteville, she said.

Christian Poppeliers, an associate professor of physics at Augusta State University who has researched seismology, said his class felt tremors and noticed a wall hanging move in their third-floor classroom.

“Everyone in class looked up at the same time. There’s no mistaking there was an earthquake,” he said.

The tremors felt in Augusta were from the energy waves traveling outward in all directions from the earthquake’s center, he said, like the waves formed in a pond after throwing in a pebble.

“It’s definitely big enough to feel,” Poppeliers said.

Shallow earthquakes like Tuesday’s, less than 10 miles below the Earth’s surface, are generally felt more, but the Augusta area would have felt the Tuesday’s quake even if it were a normal 15 to 20 miles deep, Poppeliers said.

Reports quickly spread across Facebook and Twitter on Tuesday afternoon from people in the area feeling the earthquake.

The vibration did not trigger seismic alarms at Thurmond Dam, said U.S. Army Corps of Engineers spokesman Billy Birdwell.

As a precaution, however, visual inspections were conducted at all three Savannah River dams – Thurmond, Russell and Hartwell – and the diversion dikes near Clemson University.

“They found no visible signs of impacts at any of the dams,” Birdwell said, adding that normal operations continued without interruption.

Earthquakes occur periodically in the Augusta-Columbia County area, which lies along the Fall Line, where the Coastal Plains and Piedmont regions meet.

For decades, scientists have monitored the region around the corps of engineers’ earth-and-concrete Thurmond Dam for seismic activity, which has included dozens of small quakes.

According to the National Earthquake Information Center in Golden, Colo., Thurmond Lake is one of the major earthquake centers in Georgia and South Carolina, where pressure changes caused by water in huge reservoirs can activate seismic activity.

The corps routinely reinspects the dam after even very minor quakes and maintains seismic detectors throughout the dam.

Seismic activity is frequently studied in the lake area, where the Eastern Piedmont Fault System runs from the Alabama-Georgia line through South Carolina, bisecting the 70,000-acre reservoir.

The largest recent quake in the lake area occurred Aug. 2, 1974, and registered 4.2. Three other quakes were recorded in nearby Edgefield County, S.C., in 1996, measuring 2.5, 2.3 and 2.2.

Experts say Augusta is unlikely to experience a serious quake. The only major recorded quake in the Southeast occurred in 1886 in Charleston, S.C., claiming 110 lives.

Comments (29)

LouLou
LouLou 08/23/11 - 02:35 pm

Rattled @ Ft Gordon too

Rattled @ Ft Gordon too

allenbjm
allenbjm 08/23/11 - 02:41 pm

Felt in High Point Crossing

Felt in High Point Crossing Apartments, thought I was having a dizzy spell until I saw it on TV.

kmb413
kmb413 08/23/11 - 02:48 pm

I felt it off Flowing Wells

I felt it off Flowing Wells Rd. My desk shook and others at work said I was crazy.

Chillen
Chillen 08/23/11 - 03:02 pm

I felt it in Evans!! My desk

I felt it in Evans!! My desk & computer monitor shook. I had not heard about DC yet when I felt it but I knew exactly what it was because I've been in many of them before.

gschellie
gschellie 08/23/11 - 03:04 pm

I was sitting in my lounging

I was sitting in my lounging chair at 1:54 p.m.
when I felt the shakes , I thought my chair was
broken.

bgthompson4
bgthompson4 08/23/11 - 03:11 pm

I felt in South Augusta, my

I felt in South Augusta, my lounge chair swayed as well as the glass tassels on my lamp. Kept starring at the lamp tassels thinking I was going nuts. Then shrugged it off until I saw it on TV.

allhans
21960
allhans 08/23/11 - 03:24 pm

Sitting at my desk near

Sitting at my desk near Daniel Village, didn't sense a thing.
(I was working too hard :-)

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/23/11 - 03:26 pm

Many Scientist agree earth is

Many Scientist agree earth is far younger than the several billion years evolutionist made up to prop up evolution with long ages. This and all the volcanoes waking up is more proof of a still active and younger than billions of years old earth. Next time someone preaches the evolution philosophies' billions of yrs of age for the earth, remember this young earth proof earthquake.
There are thousands of SCIENTIFIC PROOFS of a Young earth. There is NO proof of billions of years of age for anything.

j-campbell
j-campbell 08/23/11 - 03:41 pm

I had just walked into my

I had just walked into my bedroom (in Olde Town) and sat on the edge of the bed when I felt the bed slightly shaking in a rhythmical fashion for about 30 seconds. I called to my wife who was seated on a sofa at the other end of the house and she said her sofa was shaking also. About a minute or so after these slight tremors the announcement came over the TV about what was described as a quake in DC.

showboat
showboat 08/23/11 - 03:49 pm

I was @ my desk and the

I was @ my desk and the computer started shake!!!

dougk
dougk 08/23/11 - 03:54 pm

Earthquake hits D.C. and

Earthquake hits D.C. and Irene is also on track to hit land about there??...hmm seems like our national government is targeted by something bigger than it is. Maybe will wake up both sides over there.

kittikatt
kittikatt 08/23/11 - 03:59 pm

I was in the middle of class

I was in the middle of class & my overhead projector started shaking... I thought someone was on the roof of the school!!!

Jane18
Jane18 08/23/11 - 04:02 pm

Oh man dougk, that would be

Oh man dougk, that would be 'earthshattering' wouldn't it?

urright
urright 08/23/11 - 04:09 pm

Something bigger than our

Something bigger than our national government?!? Impossible. Maybe Bush turned the hurricane machine back on.

j-campbell
j-campbell 08/23/11 - 04:14 pm

We felt it in Olde Town as a

We felt it in Olde Town as a slight shaking of the furniture we were sitting on that lasted about 30 seconds. I presume coincidentally (or perhaps not), about an hour later a moderately large limb broke off and fell from a pecan tree in the back yard.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 08/23/11 - 04:39 pm

I guess carbon dating of

I guess carbon dating of fossils and organic matter must truly be flawed all the time if the planet is not older than the Bible says. Try reading those Bible verses again and see if you don't find some discrepancies about the length of a day...time is a human tool for measurement and God is eternal, so He is outside the realm of time and we tend to measure it. I tend to think the Earth cycles in ages and ancients knew this by creating calendars based on star movements, not days of 24-hr-periods. So when it says "a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years like a day" to God, then what's to make me believe the day has always been 24 hrs? Didn't Adam and those old ancients in the book of Genesis live almost a thousand years? C'mon, is that really possible? I think so. Does that mean Adam was still living when Noah was born? Didn't Noah live upwards of 500 yrs or more? Really, geologic evidence proves, not guesses, that the planet is billions of years old. Please go back and take a science refresher course and re-read your Bible to make sense of what I'm saying. We did not co-exist with the dinosaurs, and we know the rocks don't often lie about their age. Mostly when an error is carbon-dating occurs it's cuz someone forgot to do something in the process that changed the outcome of the reading. That's my 2¢ worth.

tara b
tara b 08/23/11 - 04:51 pm

Felt is at Augusta State

Felt is at Augusta State University, everyone was evacuated from the buildings!

kiwiinamerica
kiwiinamerica 08/23/11 - 04:58 pm

My wife hollered at

My wife hollered at me..........."the earth moved!"

Well there's a first time for everything, I guess.

Mr. Thackeray
Mr. Thackeray 08/23/11 - 05:06 pm

Evidently the quake occurred

Evidently the quake occurred on a little known fault line outside of DC called "Bush's Fault".
Breaking: Obama administration points out they "inherited" fault lines from previous administrations
Fox News claims the Washington monument is leaning to the right, MSNBC claims it's leaning to the left. More news at 11.
"I won't stop shaking until Obama makes a speech telling me that everything is ok and that he has a plan"
Finally: As all of DC leaves work at the same time, the United States experiences a brief economic recovery.

howcanweknow
howcanweknow 08/23/11 - 05:26 pm

Hubble deep space images have

Hubble deep space images have captured galaxies more than 12 billion light-years away. That's pretty good "proof" that the universe has to be more than 12 billion years old. This age, incidently, does not contradict the Bible. Nowhere does the Bible state clearly that the universe is only a few thousand years old.

dougk
dougk 08/23/11 - 05:56 pm

The evolution of wo/man does

The evolution of wo/man does not necessarily contradict creationism either.

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 08/23/11 - 08:54 pm

The Appalachians are quite

The Appalachians are quite old, much older than 4000-6000 years...at one time they were likely taller than the Alps or the Himalayas...time alone can reduce mountains to hills....they were formed way back when Africa left it to collide with the NE US..which is why there is a fault line associated with them...hence the earthquake...plate tectonics is an evolutionary process and very old...and thanks for the assist doug and ..we know how....

Discussionstarter
Discussionstarter 08/23/11 - 10:11 pm

Not to worry... it was our

Not to worry... it was our forefathers turning over in their graves due to the mess that the President and Congress has created.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/23/11 - 11:26 pm

Bushes-Fault Did-it... ha

Bushes-Fault Did-it... ha ahah;o)

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/23/11 - 11:58 pm

ZenoElia; Every morning

ZenoElia; Every morning proves a young earth but it has no indications of even 1 million years of age.. To arrive at the age of the earth you HAVE TO count backward from today, not pick a time and count forward like you’ve been tricked into doing:o). Evolution has tricked everyone to count forward to hide debunked SPONTAINEOUS GENERATION behind eons of time.. It’s killer side effect is the Natural Selectors we have raised up in our schools. This can be their wake up call that the earth is NOT settled for billions of years but still very active and increasing it's activity as known for many years. NO one has one shred of any indication of Billions, and Billions and Billions and Billions of years of AGE on ANYTHING.

The progenitor of all mankind lived about 10,000 years ago according to tracing our DNA back to its progenitor. All ancient languages were FAR TOO COMPLEX and organized FOR them NOT to be created.

How can you as an amateur geologist ignore the sudden increase in volcanic and seismic activity? Explain that away and we all hope the Earthquakes and Volcanoes are listening:o)

KSL
KSL 08/23/11 - 11:52 pm

Don't want to violate the

Don't want to violate the Chronicle rules. Please see my latest comment on tomorrow's R&R. ABC news has lost all of my respect. Well actually, that happened long ago. My decision has been reinforced.

ScienceLover
ScienceLover 08/24/11 - 12:08 am

Proof?? I'm sorry but there's

Proof?? I'm sorry but there's no ironclad proof on either side of the creation/evolution debate. Carbon dating is incredibly unreliable when dealing with any catastrophic event (Mt. St. Helens "remains" are 28,000 yrs old!), etc. Given two pieces of the same animal carbon dating showed a 7,000 yr difference in their age. Carbon dating isn't even used for anything over 50-60,000 years old, so it certainly doesn't yield evidence of things billions of year old. For the true scientist, Carbon dating is flawed by one key assumption--- that everything is the same today as it was "yesterday"--- which we KNOW is not true. Now if someone in this room was alive 5000+ years ago and as an item that you know perished at a particular date AND it holds up to carbon dating, as a scientist I'd be very interested in what you had to say. Still slow to assume that that rate of C12-C14 exchange is constant in all atmospheres, weather conditions,and lifeforms, but interested none the less.
Stars? Wow, how reliable are those measurements? We're seeing the light that left a planet HOW many years ago? Any attempt to scientifically estimate the age of something will necessarily involve a number of assumptions. These can be assumptions about the starting conditions, constancy of rates, contamination of the system, and many others. If even one of these assumptions is wrong, so is the age estimate. The distant starlight argument involves several assumptions that are questionable—any one of which makes the argument unsound. Albert Eistein proved that the rate of TIME/Light Speed is affected by motion and gravity! How much gravity and motion does a supernova have????
My favorite arguments has to be the Big Bang. You believe it? Proof it. Go in your garage, blow up your mini-van,and create a porche. Better yet, blow up a auto parts store and create a full line of luxury vehicles! Order from chaos? Not just order, but the incredible beauty and order exhibited throughout the universe! That is the opposite of known scientific standards that indicate everything is moving toward disorder.
As a scientist, I think we need to stick to things we can reasonably explain using the scientific method. The rest belongs in a philosophy or religion class. Sometimes I think the idea of a God creating everything is a much better fit with Science than these attempts to explain away the need for a God.

powercenter64
powercenter64 08/24/11 - 08:12 am

It always "cracks me up" when

It always "cracks me up" when the comments start drifting from the original news story, and it appears to always be the same people. In the words of the great philosopher Yoda, "Get a life you must".

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 08/24/11 - 11:15 am

The story is about an

The story is about an earthquake. This is about earthquakes indicating the age of the earth and how Science looks at it from both perspectives. IMHO world travel, being VERY successful in EVERY THING I’ve EVER done, TV SHOWS, Radio careers, real-estate holdings, A+ rating on the BBB, Popularly nominated National Guard of the year, world ranked freestyle jetskier, writing the two most read blogs in Augusta Chronicle Forums history (that I know of)too many awards and plaques to hang on my walls, and record breaking civic service is pretty “LIFE-LY” to me. Ah hahah

Please don’t hate U.S. because we check our facts, try it sometime…:o)

The one FACT everyone needs to keep in mind is WE KNOW earths recent ages which prove a young earth. This Earthquake and increasing seismic activity is PROOF our earth is not nearly as settled or as old as some claim. No one has ever proven even 1 million years of age for earth. The earthquakes and long dormant volcanoes erupting PROVE earth is NOT nearly 4.5 billion yrs old=FACT. This is what WE KNOW.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 08/24/11 - 03:46 pm

ROFL, Crime. You are VERY

ROFL, Crime. You are VERY entertaining, I'll GIVE you that. *still chuckling*

Meth use on rise in Richmond County

Production of meth, a highly addictive drug made from household cold medicine, batteries, drain cleaner, brake fluid and other harmful chemicals, increased in recent years when the shake-and-bake ...