Rants & Raves

A RANT TO THE person who says if somebody in your office gets a raise, then everybody in your office gets a raise. You give people a raise for the productive work they do in the office. Some people just sit back and hope over the years that they get a raise. Raises are given to people who do productivity. Longevity in an office should only count on the vacation schedule. Just keep giving raises to the people who do productive work and let the other people keep complaining.

WHAT A GREAT Republican debate. I believe Herman Cain really stood out as an honest, highly experienced candidate. I also love his humility and his sense of humor.

A RANT FOR Tiger Woods having the nerve to call his former caddie disloyal when Tiger certainly knows the meaning of disloyal.

I HAVE A RANT. I was passing by an elementary school during dismissal time and saw new cars driving out of the parking lot with little children who could barely see over the dashboard seated in the front seat. If they had an accident, what would they do? Why are people letting small children sit in the front?

A RAVE TO ALL our leadership here in the United States. I’m going to be sensitive just like everybody else. We have a mayor who’s doing an awesome job, our commissioners are doing great. We have a governor that’s just doing a fine job. Of course our president, whatever he says or does, it’s all good. This is a rave to all of our politicians. Thank you.

THIS IS A RANT TO the recent article about God and dogs by the Rev. Taylor. My social Christian friends who attend church on Sunday come up for a few hours to be seen and the remainder of the week cheat and lie to one another and are less godly than my dogs who are friends.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for Chad at the Walmart Vision Center. He went out of his way to help me with my glasses. His professionalism and patience were very much appreciated. Thank you so much.

A BIG RAVE AND a “Thank you!” to Augusta Ready Mix! I drive a lot for work and when I see a “Support Our Troops” cement truck, I can’t help but smile, plus feel proud and grateful to ARM for recognizing our hard-working men and women in uniform.

A HUGE RANT and a “shame on you” to restaurants that do not offer a military discount. I find it especially offensive when a waiter/waitress says. “No, we don’t give military discounts but we do give police officer discounts.” What does that mean exactly? Our men and women in the service work hard and fight in 120-plus-degree temperatures all over the world 24/7. Many come home in caskets daily. It would be very kind to offer a discount for our service members and their families in recognition of their sacrifice.

DEKE CANNOT RUN as mayor again, and I can’t see him running for a state office because he is not capable of doing a public debate.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/17/11 - 12:07 am
Restaurants are private

Restaurants are private businesses and they don't owe you a discount nor are you entitled to one. Your service is appreciated (if you served) and you are paid a salary from our volunteer armed forces. Personally, I think the discount is "nice" but you have taken it way to far by ranting and shaming a restaurant for not giving a discount to a specific group of individuals. As for the cops, some, not all restaurants do offer discounts to on duty uniformed officers because they prefer a police presence. However, if an officer were ever to be reported for actually asking for a discount, discipline would follow. Additionally, many places offer discounts for military that don't offer discounts for others, including law enforcement - again, that is their right to do so. It is sad that so many in our country now feel "entitled" and "owed" something from others for whatever reason they choose.

I agree with the ranter on raises - they should only be for performance and not everyone performs at the same level.

Great News about Richmond County - Countyman will be so excited:

fatboyhog
2082
fatboyhog 08/17/11 - 05:41 am
The military gets a discount

The military gets a discount at Greenjackets games. So do students. and senior citizens. But not the police. Now, I'm mad!

raul
raul 08/17/11 - 07:07 am
@Asitisinaug. Spot on.

@Asitisinaug. Spot on.

Chad
Chad 08/17/11 - 07:18 am
Getting that Military

Getting that Military discount is great and I do ask. However, if they do not offer it I do not take offence it is their right. That is what I fought for. Many places only offer senior discounts. Do you get mad over that? What did they do to receive that discount? They lived long enough to make it to senior stage. Granted they may have done some great things but ultimately it just boils down to age.

justthefacts
justthefacts 08/17/11 - 07:35 am
That's the problem with

That's the problem with discounts in general. Give it to one and soon everyone will feel justified in some manner to receive one.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/11 - 07:39 am
Thanks asitis for the

Thanks asitis for the article....

In other words, many residents in these areas are trapped both economically and physically. The combination of those factors leaves these suburbs in a situation where a recovery is nearly impossible.

They can't go to outlying counties because they are hurting too....nearly impossible situation..congress needs a wake-up call.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/11 - 07:44 am
Then i pick up the AJC & see

Then i pick up the AJC & see this....

US LOSES MILLIONS TO FOES...
$360million spent on combat support & reconstruction contracts ended up with criminals & local power brokers in Afghanistan....what is amillion or so....can't we lose our benefits-police-soc security etc.
We have really lost our mind if we don't change this.

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/11 - 08:41 am
I saw the movie The Help

I saw the movie The Help yesterday....great & the actors were award winning actors....some parts were sad but it made me laugh a lot at other parts.....now in the AJC I see a lawsuit was filed against the author...it seems the maid of her brother sez the movie was about her.

Vito45
Vito45 08/17/11 - 08:45 am
I thought I would like to see

I thought I would like to see it, but wife says it is more of a chick flick. What say you?

seenitB4
seenitB4 08/17/11 - 08:53 am
My husband saw it & loved it

My husband saw it & loved it too........he has been uneasy about watching movies with me since I tricked him into seeing Brokeback Mountain...LOL...another guy told me he saw it & wants to see it again...

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 08/17/11 - 08:54 am
I don't do "chick flicks!" :)

I don't do "chick flicks!" :)

allhans
allhans 08/17/11 - 09:40 am
To rant # 4..You don't give

To rant # 4..You don't give the age nor size of the child, but...It could be that the mother realizes that her child is not a thing, but a human. One of the great experiences in life is picking up your child from school when they are so excited about what has happened that day and wants to share it with the one they love most, Mom (or Dad).
Try doing that with the child buckled in a booster seat behind you where conversation is non-existent.

Life is short, and childhood is but a moment in time, any moment of closeness you can spend with your child should be treasured.

allhans
allhans 08/17/11 - 09:47 am
Standing in the rear of a

Standing in the rear of a long line waiting for screening before boarding the plane was a very young man, an officer in our military. The airline employee motioned for him to step forward, and then escorted him through the process. The waiting passengers applauded and the young man appeared taken aback, but I had tears, I was so proud.
Just one of those moments, you know?

john
john 08/17/11 - 09:58 am
allhans, that sounds

allhans, that sounds wonderful until a cell phone texting driver runs a red light and hits the car. The wonderful family moment can wait till they get home. And yes, i have two small children. Its not worth the risk.

allhans
allhans 08/17/11 - 10:27 am
Since I don't know the size

Since I don't know the size or age of the children mentioned, (One of mine slumps down so low you would think he is 3 rather than many years older) I can only say that if a driver hits your car it could just as easily hit the rear door by the buckled in child.
Those blasted "IFS".

whyme
2070
whyme 08/17/11 - 10:32 am
(1) Some folks have no common

(1) Some folks have no common sense. The minute their child goes through the windshield they'll be looking around for someone else to blame. Also goes for people letting their dogs hop all over the front too. A distraction and safety risk.
(2) raises: ideally folks who do the work should get the raises. Realistically, doesn't happen. Cost of living for everyone, sure. Merit raises, please. Don't know what these folks got.
(3) Military discount. Let's be real. Just because someone has a uniform on does not mean that they are automatically fighting in combat and therefore should get freebies. My brother actually served in Iraq and he was often embarrassed about the amount of treats that were offered because he wasn't actually out in the trenches, and to me he was still in war action. I do think that if you are a veteran of a war or have been serving in combat or close support, yes, please, stand up for these guys. But don't take advantage when you know that you are not remotely entitled. Some businesses also feel that if they don't give freebies to the fire and police, they'll be unprotected or considered bad citizens, and that's not fair either.

Dudeness
Dudeness 08/17/11 - 10:34 am
Any private business has the

Any private business has the right to grant discounts to any group it chooses.

I have read this rave multiple times and am still baffled at the riddle regarding the "awesome leadership" of our local and national politicians. I don't get the joke. Did I miss something?

Vito45
Vito45 08/17/11 - 10:58 am
allhans, a side impact on a

allhans, a side impact on a buckled in child has a fraction of the potential body impact of one that hits the door. Think about it. If you are unrestrained and get hit, your body remains essentially at the same point in space while the impacted car moves out from under you at something approaching the speed of the vehicle that hits you. That side of the car then slams into you. The opposte happen when you run into something, the car stops, but you keep going (through the windshield or into the dash) if you are not restarined.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 08/17/11 - 11:02 am
Less worried about the child

Less worried about the child going through the windshield and more worried about decapitation by the airbag.

As for the raises. Yes, people who work harder should get more money. However, please keep in mind that the workers have all received furlough days so they are not receiving the pay they were promised in the first place. Some people get raises instead of putting that money into the pot to cover furlough days? Seems extremely unfair to me. Cover the shortage first before you give raises.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/17/11 - 05:01 pm
Seenitb4, thanks...I saw that

Seenitb4, thanks...I saw that article as well - unfortunately, I can't say that anything like that actually surprises me anymore....ridiculous.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 08/17/11 - 05:58 pm
Many conservative

Many conservative spokespersons have made a big deal out of Obama's use of buses for his current campaign swing. Yes, I said campaign. But really hadn't you rather him use a couple of buses than fly AF-1 from city to city? Like him or not, he is the current (and soon to be past) president. He does need something with the necessary secure communications that are built into the buses. Give the apologizer-in-chief a break on this issue. Just get him to admit it is his first campaign trip. Name a president, Republican or Democrat, that the taxpayer didn't finance his re-election travels.

asoldier
asoldier 08/17/11 - 08:16 pm
Whyme, as a member of the

Whyme, as a member of the military I take offense at your comment. Just because a soldier does not see combat does not mean they are any less deserving of a discount. They serve too. I can say this as a combat vereran.can you ? I do not feel entitled to a discount but will patronize establishments who offer one. By the way I usually give the amount I save as an extra tip to my server.

whyme
2070
whyme 08/18/11 - 12:16 pm
Sorry to offend, asoldier,

Sorry to offend, asoldier, but as the sister and daughter of combat veterans, I stand behind my brother's concerns over people taking advantage or indeed feel "entitled to a discount". As you can see by my post, I think it is our patriotic duty to honor each and every one who is defending our country. If a business wants to recognize those who serve in the military in combat and offer a discount, absolutely. Most don't expect one and when given are very appreciative Should it matter if you were driving a tank against the enemy vs. working in the PX? In a way, but then who is going to grill the patron for their line of service? We all know that in all walks of life people do take advantage of the generosity of others, and that is what both my brother and I feel is not always the right thing to do. Thanks again to you and to all military who are.