Evans family escapes fire after teen wakes family

Jim Blaylock/ Staff
Josh Smith stands in front of his burned out home on Rhett Drive in Evans. The family was awakened by his 16-year-old daughter, Angela Buegel, at 2 a.m. after she woke up and heard the crackeling noise of the fire. No one was injured but the house is a total loss.
  • Follow Metro

Angela Buegel, 16, didn't claim to be a hero as she walked through the burnt and mostly roofless house her family escaped from before fire destroyed it Friday.

Back | Next
Joshua Smith stands in front of his burned home on Rhett Drive in Evans. The family was awakened by his teenage daughter, Angela Buegel, after she woke up and heard the crackling noise of the fire.  Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff
Joshua Smith stands in front of his burned home on Rhett Drive in Evans. The family was awakened by his teenage daughter, Angela Buegel, after she woke up and heard the crackling noise of the fire.

Others said differently.

"That teenage girl saved her family," Martinez-Columbia Fire Rescue spokesman Jeremy Wallen said.

Angela said strange noises in her Rhett Drive home in Evans woke her up about 2 a.m.

"Everyone was asleep, and there was crackling coming from the garage," Angela said. "I opened the door, and smoke was going everywhere, so I slammed the door. I started just about beating everybody to get them up and get them out of the house."

Angela first woke her brothers -- Anthony, 18, and Carl, 14 -- who were sleeping in nearby rooms. She then ran upstairs to wake her parents, Joshua and Sharonda Smith, who are Fort Gordon soldiers.

"We were the ones running around in circles," Sharonda Smith said. "She did keep it together and got us out of there."

The family dog also made it out alive.

The fire started in the garage, moved up the back wall of the home and into the attic, Wallen said. Fire officials said it probably was electrical, but they were not able to determine an exact cause.

"Not even 30 seconds after we got out of the house, the whole back of the house was just in flames," Angela said.

The family moved into the house in July 2006.

About 9 a.m. Friday, the Smiths stood at the curb in front of the damaged house, preparing to go inside and see what could be saved. Aside from a wooden clock still ticking beside the front door and a load of laundry sealed in the dryer, little was spared damage.

"We're just happy we got out, we got all the kids out," Sharonda Smith said. "We're here. We can save what we can save and just go from there."

After extinguishing the blaze, firefighters took out a jewelry box, a wedding album, some family photos and a laptop computer purchased last Saturday. But those salvaged material things seemed insignificant compared with what could've been lost, Smith said.

"That's the one thing we're thankful for the most, that we're alive," she said. "We still have each other."

Smith said neighbors gathered at the home while firefighters extinguished the blaze to check on them and help in any way possible.

"Everybody has been great to us so far," Smith said. "Neighbors are coming down bringing clothes. Neighbors have been coming handing us money."

The Smiths have homeowners insurance, but they don't expect to raze the burned home and rebuild on the same site.

"It's time to move on," Joshua Smith said, adding that he considers his family blessed to be safe. "God is good."

Comments (6) Add comment
ADVISORY: Users are solely responsible for opinions they post here and for following agreed-upon rules of civility. Posts and comments do not reflect the views of this site. Posts and comments are automatically checked for inappropriate language, but readers might find some comments offensive or inaccurate. If you believe a comment violates our rules, click the "Flag as offensive" link below the comment.
Craig Spinks
817
Points
Craig Spinks 08/05/11 - 02:11 pm
0
0
KUDOS to this young lady on

KUDOS to this young lady on her heroic actions.

GaStang22
910
Points
GaStang22 08/05/11 - 02:14 pm
0
0
WTG!!! So sorry for your
Unpublished

WTG!!! So sorry for your loss, but Thank God and Angela everyone is ok!!

Patty-P
3516
Points
Patty-P 08/05/11 - 02:18 pm
0
0
Glad everyone is okay.

Glad everyone is okay.

easy breezy
14
Points
easy breezy 08/05/11 - 02:39 pm
0
0
This is a great story. What a

This is a great story. What a brave young lady. So glad no one was harmed.

allhans
23619
Points
allhans 08/05/11 - 03:45 pm
0
0
Yes..I can't imagine what

Yes..I can't imagine what would have happened if she hadn't awakened them.

robbie1
0
Points
robbie1 08/05/11 - 04:16 pm
0
0
Good Job, Angela.

Good Job, Angela.

CB Buyt
0
Points
CB Buyt 08/06/11 - 02:23 am
0
0
Wow, I don't know why this
Unpublished

Wow, I don't know why this thought came to me, but it did. First, SO thankful noone was injured from what I read. Secondly, is there a way to backup older pictures or other family treasures that otherwise might be lost in an event like this? Through computers, Kinko's maybe....any way possible. And of course...WHAT a heads up move by the daughter!! She is special.

gapeach1
0
Points
gapeach1 08/07/11 - 12:11 pm
0
0
I do not blame you for

I do not blame you for wanting to be in another location. It would be hard to wait for it to be rebuilt and Thank God for alerting that girl to help you all get out alive...and yes, God is Good. Thank God your all ok. God Bless each one of you...gp

Back to Top

Search Augusta jobs