Doctor killed on bicycle in car accident

A Fort Gordon doctor died Monday after being struck by a car while traveling to work on his bicycle.

Dr. Daniel L. Dickinson, 57, is the second Dwight D. Eisenhower Army Medical Center doctor to die from a cycling incident in the past six months.

According to Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay, Dickinson was riding his bicycle near the intersection of Belair and Asbury roads around 6:30 a.m. when a 2003 Buick Regal driven by 76-year-old Charlie Bussey struck him from behind.

Gay said those who knew Dickinson "said he rides his bike from his house off of Walton Way to Fort Gordon a couple of times a week."

Dickinson was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he died of cardiac contusion and hemorrhagic shock at 9:55 a.m. Monday, according to Deputy Coroner Johnny McDonald.

Charges have not been filed, pending the outcome of an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the crash.

"The driver said he never saw the bicyclist," Gay said.

Authorities said Dickinson did have a light on his bike, but they have not been able to determine whether the light was on at the time of the incident.

A team will be on the scene this morning to determine lighting conditions at the location during the time of the crash.

Charges were filed against an Aiken County man who struck about five cyclists along Beech Island Avenue on Oct. 1.

One of the cyclists, Dr. Matthew Burke, was thrown into the air from the impact and was hospitalized with severe head trauma.

Burke, a 38-year-old orthopedic surgeon at Eisenhower, died Feb. 6 from his injuries.

All of the cyclists were wearing helmets and reflective gear at the time of the crash.

billyjones1949
billyjones1949 08/01/11 - 08:04 am
Busy busy road with no lane

Busy busy road with no lane for a bicycle. I hope the person is ok.

happychimer
19503
happychimer 08/01/11 - 09:34 am
Sad. There is an update but

Sad. There is an update but not on the chronicle yet. very sad.

daphne3520
daphne3520 08/01/11 - 10:01 am
THIRD word, "billyjones1949,"

THIRD word, "billyjones1949," is "died." HOW would the person be, "OK?"

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 08/01/11 - 10:19 am
because daphne they ""UPDATED

because daphne they ""UPDATED at 10:46"

floridasun
floridasun 08/01/11 - 10:23 am
Augusta needs to designate

Augusta needs to designate some bike lanes along the edges of existing streets. Other cities have done this.
Very sad news indeed. Condolences to the family.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/01/11 - 10:24 am
fatal hits to bikes don't

fatal hits to bikes don't seem to get the same heavy hand as some recent other tragic accidents brought. a girl crashes and her unseatbelted friend dies, driver goes to jail. army guys crash when wheel comes off, unseatbelted passenger dies, driver gets charged. driver rams bicyclist to death...

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/01/11 - 10:28 am
condolences to the family of

condolences to the family of the victim. heart out to the driver assuming proper care was taken and this wasn't the result of inconsiderate driving. yes, floridasun, we need bike lanes.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 08/01/11 - 11:06 am
There are bike lanes all of

There are bike lanes all of the community but the avid bike riders rarely use them that I can see. I agree there needs to be more bike designated lanes but the cyclist need to use the more too.

Then again at the same time, ipods, iphones, gps units, and car radios. There are 2 to 3 people in the cockpit of an airplane because of all the information that needs to be monitored. Why do we think we can handle all of the devices available to us and drive safely?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/01/11 - 11:04 am
good point, n2s4i.

good point, n2s4i.

Batman
Batman 08/01/11 - 11:39 am
For the life of me I will

For the life of me I will never understand bicyclists. I barely missed one last week when I topped a hill along Tubman Rd in Appling. The rider was wearing a 'DARK' colored professional cycling outfit past sunset... with no lights on the bike.

InChristLove
InChristLove 08/01/11 - 12:05 pm
"fatal hits to bikes don't

"fatal hits to bikes don't seem to get the same heavy hand as some recent other tragic accidents " I believe the article stated "any charges against the driver are pending the completion of the investigation".

It would be wise before you decide to post a sarcastic remark that you check the last updated time before blasting someone's comments. In most cases the original article is what early poster's have comment on and the article has since then been updated.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 08/01/11 - 12:50 pm
are you saying i'm being

are you saying i'm being sarcastic when i say these accidents don't seem to get a heavy hand like other accidents? i'm not. they don't. this one may, but i sort of doubt it, even so, most don't.

follower 08/01/11 - 12:54 pm
I'm deeply saddened having

I'm deeply saddened having just found out the name of the victim. Great family man, area physician, and my friend. Please pray for the family.

Vito45
Vito45 08/01/11 - 12:57 pm
I'm a cyclist and a member of

I'm a cyclist and a member of the local offroad biking club SORBA. I ride the trails for my exercise for the very reasons this article is about. I own a road bike too but seldom get on it, the roads are too busy, even out in west ColCo where I live.
Bike Lanes? I love the concept, when I was in Europe a couple of years back they are plentiful and well used (didn't see many fat people); but there is more to it than painting a stripe on the shoulder. Pavement has to be added so as to maintain minmum lane width for motor vehicles and that is pricey. Much easier to incorporate them when a new road is constructed or one is widened for other purposes. From a friend "Unfortunately what we learned when attending the 1st Georgia Bike Summit in Savannah last year is a couple of key facts that I honestly had never thought of before.

One being that bike lanes need to be added and planned for when the decision is being made to build the road and that is often 10 to 15 years before the work is actually started.

Two adding the bike lane (which is built exactly like the road, same thickness, etc) adds about 20% to the cost of road constuction.

Those two factors alone in an economy that is already suffering are enough to at least stymie widespread addition of bike lanes.

Read more: http://sorbacsra.proboards.com/index.cgi#ixzz1TnjfoxkV"

Vito45
Vito45 08/01/11 - 12:54 pm
double

double

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 08/01/11 - 01:06 pm
This is yet another terrible

This is yet another terrible tragedy. Prayers and condolences to the family as well as the driver of the vehicle.

I don't know more than is currently printed in the article. However, I do know that bicyclists need to be removed from roadways that exceed 25mph, period. Our road system is not designed for cyclists or pedestrians in most cases except in specific areas. The bicyclist have lobbied heavily for "new laws" and many have been passed but it will not change the fact that they will continue to be hit (most of the time by accident) and that they should not be on such roadways.

A normal ordinary citizen with no traffic record or criminal history using proper due regard for safety can look away for 2-3 seconds (everyone does) or could sneeze and at the exact same time have an accident. If this accident happens to be with a bicyclist, they may then have a major criminal along with what they have to live with for the rest of their lives.

The laws need to be properly adjusted. Special interest groups for bicyclists should be asking for bike paths and lanes not their fair share of roadways. Until then, bicyclist should use designated areas, neighborhoods, etc. instead of busy and dangerous roadways that were built and designed for vehicular traffic only.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/01/11 - 01:08 pm
Just last Tuesday my husband

Just last Tuesday my husband and I were sitting at the redlight at the intersection of Gibbs Road and Hereford Farm Road, when a biker comes up on our right and goes right through the red light, he never stopped, he slowed down and looked to see if anyone was coming and proceded right on through the red light. People need to be aware of bikers and bikers need to follow road laws as well. Another sad loss, I pray for his family and friends, I don't know the solution to this problem but I pray that something is done, you hear about this more and more lately.

mojo goat
mojo goat 08/01/11 - 01:33 pm
The reality is that it is

The reality is that it is very unlikely that there will ever be sufficient paths for cyclists to use that are totally separated from car traffic. You're always going to have to interface with motor vehicles if you are using a bicycle for transportation.You can't deny someone the freedom to get around in a city because cars are bigger and more dangerous. Bicycles were around long before cars and are used around the world as a primary means of transportation for billions of people.

I agree there are cyclists that don't obey traffic laws, but there are also traffic lights that can only be triggered by the weight of a car. A cyclist could sit there all day and it would not change. There are quite a few states where it is legal for cyclists to proceed through a red light if it is safe to do so. Georgia is not currently one of them though.

Terry454
Terry454 08/01/11 - 01:47 pm
Asitisinaug, While I agree

Asitisinaug, While I agree that cars have the upperhand in all Car VS Bike collisions, it is GA law that a bike is a vehicle. You cant remove bikes from roads that have posted speeds above 25 mph. The rights of one can not infringe on the right of another. Motorist and cyclist have a responsibility to interact without causing harm or death to each other. A drivers license is a privilege not a right. So if you obey all the laws and carelessly cause someone's death you should not get a pass cause you are in a bigger and more accepted means of transportation. If your first traffic offense is killing someone, you should move straight to the head of the offenders class. If you are careless and hit a mailbox, you buy a new mailbox and visit a body shop. If you hit a person, the punishment is and should me more severe. Carelessness is not a defense one can use.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 08/01/11 - 01:49 pm
Terry454, Right on. "'I'm

Terry454,

Right on.

"'I'm sorry,' 'I didn't mean to,' 'S/he was my friend' and 'It was an accident'" are equally spurious and indefensible excuses.

desertcat6
desertcat6 08/01/11 - 02:04 pm
Bicycles are vehicles

Bicycles are vehicles according to GA law. Riders must follow the same laws as motorists. Riding on sidewalks is illegal. Both users of the road must be aware and operate safely. Lights at night are required for both. Bright reflctive clothing is smart for riders. Bike lanes are good, but will not protect anyone from texting, drinking, eating, and otherwise distracted drivers. Cyclists who ride recklessly put themselves at risk. Honking at, swerving toward, or yelling at cyclists legally sharing the road increases the chance of an accident. Please drive smart. Your car, truck or van is a deadly insturment if not operated properly.

TB4644
TB4644 08/01/11 - 02:07 pm
The cyclist was my physician.

The cyclist was my physician. A warn, caring, and patient individual. Allways willing to spend whatever time was necessary to answer questions to help you understand your condition and treatment. He will truly be missed.

Vito45
Vito45 08/01/11 - 02:06 pm
This is required reading for

This is required reading for all of you anti-cyclists, and all of you dunderhead road bikers who don't know their responsibilities.

desertcat6
desertcat6 08/01/11 - 02:19 pm
I think its kinda moronic to

I think its kinda moronic to drive a 4000 lbs vehicle like a little kid on a trike at day care - clueless and distracted.

razordog
razordog 08/01/11 - 02:34 pm
Yes, it is very sad that

Yes, it is very sad that another bicyclist was killed on the road. However, some (NOT ALL) of them feel as if they are special and own the road. They put themselves in a very vulnerable position to begin with, and then act as if people in motor vehicles should wreck to avoid hitting them. They ride down the middle of the road and will not pull to the side when you're coming up behind them. Motor vehicles are the one's that must face on-coming traffic to avoid hitting them. On several occasions, I have witnessed bicyclist NOT obeying traffic rules. If you're going to be on the road, on a bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, whatever, you should obey the same rules as motor vehicles. Let me repeat that not all of the cyclists are like this, but the one's that are, make it more difficult for the one's that are more cautious and obey the rules.

stillamazed
stillamazed 08/01/11 - 02:31 pm
I have seen motor vehicle

I have seen motor vehicle drivers who are impatient with cyclers many times. The truth is that when a bike is in front of you, you have to wait until it is safe for you to pass them and that happens rarely. In the same token the bike who went through the light by me the other day passed stopped cars waiting at the red light and went on through as if he did not have to obey the light, so cars are doing wrong and so are cyclist and as long as this is happening we will continue to see these accidents happen. I actually hate drving behind behind bicycles and motorcycles, they all make me nervous so I use extra caution with them. I ask everyone who is on the road regardless of your vehicle of choice to please use caution and respect everyone on the roads. Getting there on time is no reason to put another persons life in danger.

Terry454
Terry454 08/01/11 - 02:31 pm
Vito45, Thanks for sharing

Vito45,

Thanks for sharing the link. I agree there are dunderhead cyclist and many anti-cyclist that need to put the shoe on the other foot at times. When people decide to take a side and refuse to see the other point of view, they may as well be a senator or congressman. I am a cyclist and take every precaution to be seen in low light situations. I have even had cars almost stop while meeting me because of all the flashing lights. I used to worry that would make them mad since they had to figure out what was coming toward them. Then I realized, I had done exactly what I hope another cyclist would do while sharing a dark road with me while I was driving my car or truck, help me see them. It is my job to be see while riding and beleive me with 600 lumens on constantly, 100 lumens flashing forward and 4 blinkies on the rear, I have done all I can. Cyclist, do yourselves a favor, obey the traffic laws and be seen. (I do) and drivers, take care not to take a life. (I do).

powercenter64
powercenter64 08/01/11 - 02:37 pm
This is awful! I live near

This is awful! I live near the accident site and people drive down Belair like the are trying to qualify at Daytona. Calls to the RCSD have fallen on deaf ears. Mix in the cars with the stereos on blast and you have "Fast and Furious 4". Wake up and enforce the laws people.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 08/01/11 - 02:34 pm
Where is Ashbury Road?

Where is Ashbury Road? Augusta? Evans? Grovetown? Martinez? Can't seem to find it on whitepages.com

bicyclecommuter
bicyclecommuter 08/01/11 - 02:43 pm
I ride my bicycle to work

I ride my bicycle to work every day. I accept the risks of doing so because I believe in what I do. I'm not polluting, I'm not supporting some Arab country that hates us, and I'm staying fit in the process. I follow the laws, take back roads, and hug the side of the road as much as possible. I have to get on Belair Road to cross Interstate 20. MOST people are very courteous towards me and to all of you, Thank you! The problem is, it only takes one. Please, don't be that one. Like Terry said earlier, "If you are careless and hit a mailbox, you buy a new mailbox and visit a body shop." Cyclists are real people. The last two to die in the CSRA have been doctors. We're not the ones cutting you off so we can get be 1st in line at the next light. We're not tailgating you because you're only going 10 mph over the speedlimit. Can we please stop blaming the victims? My sincere condolences to the family.

McDuffie school system closes after influenza outbreak

One day after closing Maxwell Elementary School due to excessive absences caused by an outbreak of influenza, strep infection and stomach viruses, the McDuffie County School System has decided to ...