Augusta's Partridge Inn is up for foreclosure sale

The hotel that once played host to Michael Jackson, Charlton Heston and Reba McEntire will be up for foreclosure sale Aug. 2.

Back | Next
Walton Way Hotel LLC, the owner of The Partridge Inn, defaulted on a $16 million loan in September 2009. The hotel, which has played host to several celebrities and celebrations, has remained open.   File/Staff
File/Staff

Walton Way Hotel LLC, the owner of the Partridge Inn at 2110 Walton Way, defaulted on a $16 million loan, according to Richmond County Superior Court records.

The Atlanta investment company bought the hotel in 2005 for $8.1 million and spent millions more to renovate its rooms, lobby and other amenities.

The owners lost a lawsuit in Superior Court on June 29, and foreclosure notices were filed.

Court records said Walton Way Hotel failed to make a monthly payment Sept. 6, 2009. The owners were given notices in November and December 2009 that the "amount had been accelerated."

An entity named Walton Way Limited Partnership gave notice Jan. 27 that the debt was due, then filed suit Feb. 18.

The $16 million commercial mortgage was originally issued by Greenwich Capital in December 2006.

The mortgage changed hands and landed with Bank of America after a merger with LaSalle Bank.

After the default mentioned in the court documents, Bank of America assigned the right, title and interest in the loan to Walton Way Limited Partnership in April 2010.

Attorneys for both Walton Way Limited Partnership and Walton Way Hotel could not be reached for comment Friday. Messages placed with the general manager of the Partridge Inn also were not answered Friday.

The hotel has remained open since the court ruling and the filing of the foreclosure notice.

The foreclosure sale will be Aug. 2 at the courthouse, according to a legal notice.

The Partridge Inn, which celebrated its 100th anniversary last year, was built in 1836 as a private residence. Morris Partridge bought the property in 1892 and opened the it as a 60-room upscale hotel Jan. 8, 1910. The hotel now has 144 guest rooms, more than 5,000 square feet of meeting space and more than a quarter-mile of wrap-around verandas and balconies.

Walton Way Hotel's mailing address is on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, in care of New South Partners LLC, which received a historic preservation honor from Historic Augusta for the renovation of the hotel.

The Partridge Inn also received a $2.5 million loan guarantee for acquisition and rehabilitation of the hotel, with the goal of creating 53 jobs for low-income people, according to the city's Housing and Community Development Department.

See the foreclosure notice
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/16/11 - 12:01 pm
When someone totally

When someone totally understands something.....LOL,,,I will totally leave that person to that belief......after all I totally understood B Clinton when he said he DID NOT have sex with that woman...:)
I'm totally in agreement with riverman...we need to fess up & work on solutions...stop sugar-coating the stats.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/11 - 12:05 pm
Countyman, now you have me

Countyman, now you have me curious. What do you consider the borders of "Uptown" and "downtown"?

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 12:50 pm
Riverman... When did I say

Riverman... When did I say how great Augusta is?? Are you mad because I've stated facts instead of opinions about the Augusta mall.. Case in point the twelve new stores and restaurants opening at the mall.. Does it make you angry the corporate at Apple, Sephora, PF Changs, Williams Sonoma, Pandora, Jared Galleria, Handpicked, etc haven't decided to locate outside of Atlanta and Augusta mall in the state??

How am I tap dancing around the comment?? The demographics of the housing changed around Regency Mall and became working class.. The demographics around the Augusta mall are changing.. They're building new homes and neighborhoods off Belair rd near the Augusta mall daily. The city plans on widening Belair rd from Wrightsboro to Jimmie Dyess this year.. In May of 2011 an new adpative traffic system was installed near the mall because of the daily traffic.. The city of Augusta is helping GA DOT acquire land to widen Wrightsboro rd from I-520 to Jimmie Dyess Pkwy..

I know people who work at the Augusta mall too.. I've notice plenty of people eating at PF Changs or Chop House, and shopping at Apple and Sephora at night..

If Mullins Crossing 2 was canceled, but Augusta mall received a multi-million renovation(180k sq. ft. promenade) then the Augusta mall is a much better future investment in the eyes of developers..

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/11 - 12:09 pm
I'm certainly not wanting

I'm certainly not wanting Augusta Mall to fold. Dixieman made a statement about the patterns and I said I understood his point.

Can we please get back to saving the Partridge?

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 12:16 pm
I'm sorry but one mall

I'm sorry but one mall closing in 2000 and one hotel going into foreclosure in 2011 doesn't make an pattern..

Why isn't the $25 million Sheraton in West Augusta an pattern?? Why isn't the 115 acre Village at Riverwatch under construction considered an pattern??

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/11 - 12:19 pm
I've been pointing out how

I've been pointing out how super the Sheraton complex is for a long time. It didn't take a penny of city money either. West Augusta certainly does have a positive pattern. No argument from me.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/16/11 - 12:20 pm
Let's have some conjecture

Let's have some conjecture about what happens on Aug. 2. Who do you think will buy it? The money owed the county and the bank?

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/11 - 01:13 pm
Riverman wrote: Countyman,

Riverman wrote:

It seems obvious that "Uptown" is Georgia Avenue in North Augusta, and "downtown" is Reynolds and Broad Streets from 5th St. to 15th St.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/11 - 01:15 pm
Countyman asked: Why isn't

Countyman asked:

When Village at Riverwatch opens, several existing stores will close. That's a pattern alright.

Emerydan
Emerydan 07/16/11 - 02:10 pm
Countyman is either being

Countyman is either being diengenuous about The Villages at Riverwatch project or he just doesn't know all the facts. Or probably it's both. The "Villages" at Riverwatch project is essentially cancelled, atleast the one that was proposed over 5 years ago. What we have now is simply a Costco...hardly the "village like" lifestyle center with upscale shopping, entertainment, and upscale dining. Bass Pro has already cancelled plans to build there.. and there are no other tenants besides Costco that are committed to that land.. and to get Costco there the city had to give away all sorts of freebies. Augusta is already overbuilt with restaurants, hotels, and retail. Costco will do well because of what it is.. a bulk warehouse wholesaler.. but it will likely have a negative impact on existing retail establishments in the area.

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 02:33 pm
Emerydan.. I remember when

Emerydan.. I remember when you said the Village at Riverwatch was dead.. I think you need to check out the site plan of the Village at Riverwatch.. Do you work for MGHerring?? According to MGHerring several new things are coming in the future besides Costco..

1. '' The Village at Riverwatch consist of approximately 115-acres along Riverwatch Pkwy and Interstate 20 in Augusta, GA.''
2. '' The project is anticipated to be developed into three stages: Costco tract, Phase 1 and Phase 2, all connected through an extension of Alexander Drive, approximately 5-acres, from Riverwatch pkwy to River Shoals Pkwy.''
3. '' The Costco Tract consist of approximately 16.5-acres and will house a Costco warehouse.''
4. '' Phase 1 is comprised of approximately 12-acres located along Riverwatch Pkwy and is expected to be developed into commercial outparcel lots and sold and/or leased to third parties for development. Typical uses to include, but not limited to, restaurants, retail shops, banks, office space, and hotels.''
5. '' Phase 2, approximately 82 acres, comprises the balance of the site and is situated east and west of the Costco Tract. Phase 2 is expected to include large format retai, specialty retail, restaurants, as well as other development uses..

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 02:36 pm
Emerydan... Remember you told

Emerydan... Remember you told everybody on here the Village at Riverwatch is dead and wouldn't start construction..

I responded to your statement and the chronicle will display my commnet in the near future.. The site plan of the VAR is 115 acres and Costco is the initial investment.. I'm hearing people might be able to take boat rides from back and forth from the VAR to the Enterprise mill downtown..

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 02:57 pm
Little Lamb.. Tweleve new

Little Lamb.. Tweleve new stores and restaurants have opened at the Augusta mall since 2010.. Bath and Body completed an major renovation in the year 2011. Champs and Aeropostale are both undergoing renovation projects at the mall.. Jimmiy Johns, Tutti Frutti(first location oustide of Atlanta)Mattress Firm, and Carolina Ale(only location in GA) have opened at the Augusta Exchange.. The Buffalo Wild Wings restaurant(6 k sq. ft. 250 seat) is under construction..

The 18k sq. ft. Cherry Street Shopping Center is under construction off Washington road(next to California Dreaming and Badcock).. New businesses have opened at the Surrey Center, Colony Plaza, Augusta West Plaza, and Southgate shopping center.. The corparte at Sam's club in West Augusta spent millions of dollars to expand/renovate the warehouse in 2010.. The Village Plaza in West Augusta/Martinez on Bobby Jones is unergoing at mult-million renovation right now..

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/16/11 - 04:12 pm
Well, Countyman, those boat

Well, Countyman, those boat rides will be a good thing, because it is illegal to swim in the Augusta canal.

Wineseller
Wineseller 07/16/11 - 07:42 pm
Unfortunately, what was a

Unfortunately, what was a popular neighborhood meeting place and social spot for many with means: the PI food and beverage operation has seen a severe decline in local patronage since 2005. Hopefully, with professional and innovative direction, delivery of consistent quality product, knowledgeable, attentive and courteous service, this location will embrace and engage the local community once again.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 07/16/11 - 09:02 pm
Riverman1, Inasmuch as he is

Riverman1,

Inasmuch as he is a font of boosterist stats about A-RC(my hometown and the center of this SMSA),why don't you ask (C)ountyman to provide data asserting the comprehensive superiority of the RCSS to that of the CCSS? Bet you that he can produce data regarding Davidson(which just lost its best Math teacher to retirement), Johnson(the info I have about it would get me banned; hint: inappropriate relationship between staff member and a former SOS), Walker(teachers who don't know Math and Science), ARC IB(a sop to members of The Hill power crowd), and maybe a few more enrolling a total of about 10% of the RCSS student population. Ask him about the academic achievement and comportment of the 90% of our kids enrolled in the remaining 30+ schools. Ask him how well RCSS dropouts and graduates fared in the competition for "high-skills/high-pay" jobs before The Great Recession.
And don't let (C)ountyman tell you that hospitality and phone center jobs are high-tech ones.

augusta citizen
augusta citizen 07/16/11 - 09:30 pm
Other than Polka Dot Pig

Other than Polka Dot Pig Gastro...whatever it is, I don't know of any other new businesses that have opened at Surrey, but I hope some have, I love Surrey Center. I know that Red Dress Boutique, Public House, Merry Times and Via Mizner closed. I did know the lighting/lamp repair shop that had been in one of the antique stores moved into Via Mizner's old location. What else new has opened?

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 11:24 pm
Design Images & Gifts opened

Design Images & Gifts opened in the former Curves space(fountain level)..

Ela will also open in the Surrey Center on the fountain level...

Read more: http://www.city-data.com/forum/augusta-area/925654-new-restaurants-retai...

countyman
20245
countyman 07/16/11 - 11:33 pm
The Public House closed in

The Public House closed in 2010 and Polka Dot Pig GastroPub opened in the spot later on that year.. This year Design Images & Gifts opened in the former Curves space(fountain level).. Ela opened at the Surrey Center on the fountain level...

WW1949
WW1949 07/17/11 - 10:38 am
DEsign Images has always been

DEsign Images has always been upstairs just down from the French Market. Public House closed because it was way way too expensive. I went there onece and the bill for two steaks, two potatoes, two vegetables and several drinks was over $200.00. The food was good but not so good that I would ever pay that much so that was my one and only time. Poka Dotted Pig has good food.

merrymary
merrymary 07/17/11 - 01:21 pm
ASU buying the P.I. for

ASU buying the P.I. for dorms----That's all you need, being across the street from one of the biggest drug houses in Augusta!!

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 07/17/11 - 02:36 pm
colleges are drug houses

colleges are drug houses regardless. it's called sowing wild oats. i think the pi would be a nice dorm. it's got old and onteresting construction. poor asu students are locked up in crazy soulless buildings all day with those new hideous constructions on campus. who designed those horrid buildings anyway- allgood especially?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 07/17/11 - 02:39 pm
plus, if we were willing to

plus, if we were willing to put kids/young adults out there on damascus road, i think we can stomach putting them in a fancy hotel next to school on walton way in summerville. it's summerville, right? are pi and bon air in summerville?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 07/18/11 - 03:32 pm
I'd think I'd like to see how

I'd think I'd like to see how much the utilities and taxes are before I start telling ASU to turn it into dorms, not to mention the structural, electrical and plumbing inspection reports.

Can you imagine the number of traffic accidents from students crossing the flow of traffic leaving the building? (Yes, they could loop around via Central Ave to get to ASU, but you know they won't.)

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 07/18/11 - 03:47 pm
I don't see a lot of families

I don't see a lot of families at the mall. I see a lot of teenagers. But in fairness, I rarely go any more. If absolutely necessary, I park outside Sears (or whatever store I'm visiting), go in, get my stuff and get the heck out. Maybe it's not any worse than it was 10 years ago, maybe I'm just older and don't have the patience to deal with the attitudes and behavior of the kids who frequent the mall these days.

Parents will let groups of kids go to the mall, or drop them off, and the heck with supervision. When you go to a strip-type mall, I almost always see at least one parent in the group.

I think the problem is less that the Augusta Mall is located in Richmond County and more because parents can't be bothered to supervise their children, teach them any manners, or discipline them.

Little Lamb
Little Lamb 07/18/11 - 03:59 pm
Regarding the suggestion for

Regarding the suggestion for ASU to buy Partridge Inn for student dormitories, Emergencyfan wrote:

The students won't need cars. The city would build a trolley line from Partridge Inn to ASU and back. One leg would go up McDowell Street and the other would go down Walton Way.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 07/19/11 - 08:43 am
After a $37,000 feasibility

After a $37,000 feasibility study.

SRS shipments halted until 2016

Savannah River Site can't resume shipments of Cold War nuclear waste materials to an underground repository in New Mexico until at least 2016 when the federal government reopens the facility to ...