Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A RAVE for the Augusta Fire Department Firefighters located on Richmond Hill Road who arrived within a few minutes after a tree fell on power lines on Martin Road causing numerous rapid outage explosions of four or five power circuits. This occurred between 11:30 p.m. and midnight during the storm on June 21; and the firefighters stayed right there until the Georgia Power Co. repairmen arrived about a half-hour or so later to make the necessary repairs. Within approximately two hours, our section of this neighborhood had regained power -- yes, I know as a homeowner our taxes are part of this type of coverage protection, but I felt so safe and secure knowing they were all there! What great, great service! Thanks to all of you!

NEWS PHOTO SHOWS somebody supporting lawbreaking immigrants (holding) a sign reading "Brown is beautiful." What does "'brown is beautiful" have to do with rewarding lawbreakers? But aha! The photo caption say this person is a "community organizer." That's what Obama used to be. Is the sign-carrying "organizer," herself, here legally?

THE SUPPLEMENT THAT you included with a recent Wednesday paper, titled "Life After 50!" shows a happy couple in a convertible with the top down, not using seat belts and not wearing hats or sunglasses. The title should have been "Living Foolishly After 50."

THIS IS A HUGE RAVE for the Augusta Commission and the road paving crew that showed up in our subdivision a couple of days ago. We waited a long time to get our streets resurfaced, but the wait was worth it. The crew was working in torrid heat, but their work was perfect. They showed special interest for everyone's property. Thanks to all involved.

THIS IS IN REGARDS to the stadium issue on the river. Really, let's face reality. I've been to Chattanooga to see the stadium on the river there and I had a wonderful time. I've been to Durham. The stadium downtown was beautiful. Augusta, let's have a stadium downtown on Reynolds Street and you will bring more business to downtown. We'd have a wonderful place to visit, go watch the ballgame, eat and relax, and enjoy Augusta.

DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM with cell phones being banned on the campus, but there needs to be a pay phone on the outside for students to contact their parents when they're finished with after-school activities.

I HAVE HAD A COMPUTER for 6 weeks, and all I have gotten from it is headaches, HIGHER blood pressure, and a lighter pocketbook. Like the recent rant from the reader, I read, (books, and the newspaper) There's TV, and I also have a life -- on Earth, not cyberspace.

OUR COMMUNITY is blessed to have 4H's Shirley Williamson supporting our youth. Her tireless efforts to ensure that all participants grow from their experiences should be commended.

Tell us what you think
seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/11 - 03:27 pm
Good Afternoon vet......you

Good Afternoon vet......you sound perky today..:)

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/11 - 03:29 pm
Gripweed.......I know some of

Gripweed.......I know some of the retired fire folks......they won't take this news lying down that's for sure...

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/02/11 - 03:32 pm
usafvet, I too will try and

usafvet, I too will try and make this weekend a proud and forgetting thing weekend. I think you know what I mean.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/11 - 04:05 pm
I just read that the

I just read that the government shutdown impasse in Minnesota will cause a mother of 8 to lose her $3600 amonth in state childcare subsidies......folks that IS WHAT IS WRONG with this country...we can't pay people thousands to raise THEIR kids...remember your tax $$$$ is paying for others to have 8 kids...GEEZ my parents had 7 & never collected a dime in subsidies ...& we wonder why states are going BROKE!!!

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/02/11 - 04:37 pm
Many of these comments have

Many of these comments have gotten so comical, particular the ones regarding President Obama, that they have lost all relevancy. As I have said before, if you voted for McCain and Palin in 2008, you are not rational enough to form an opinion of Obama. If those two were elected, things would be far more worst than they are today. Given the so call experience of the past President, you would think he would have been able to walk on water, however, we all know that was not the case. Hence the fact that the President was a community organizer and professor before being elected to the Senate, and eventually President has served him very well when compared to the others that many are claiming to have more experience. Throughout my army career, there were those that had more experience at certain jobs than I, however, when it came down to the better performer, I clearly had the advantage because of my leadership, communications skills, and overall ability to motivate and bring out the best in my personnel. I have an idea, since many of you question the ability of a community organizer to run this country, why don't you become one, and let me know how effective you are at bring your community together. The President is simply trying to bring a nation and world together, which is a lot more than I can say for others.

seenitB4
seenitB4 07/02/11 - 04:50 pm
Throughout my army career,

You left out......so humble...

sorry to tell you....he hasn't brought this country together

allhans
allhans 07/02/11 - 04:54 pm
Nobody knows if Obama is

Nobody knows if Obama is doing a better job than McCain would have done. There is no way you can know about "what ifs".

CobaltGeorge
CobaltGeorge 07/02/11 - 04:55 pm
RunningMan, Prior to the

RunningMan, Prior to the election of this King SMCICBHO our country was on a good path of killing the racial atmosphere. This so called community organizer has now made it almost as bad as the day after the Civil War. It now is nothing but race, racial, bigot when ever you think, speak or do something.

" The President is simply trying to bring a nation and world together, which is a lot more than I can say for others."

Listen to many leaders of foreign countries and hear what they think of him and our country. The only thing he has done to bring nations together is make our great America a 3rd world country.

hockeymann
hockeymann 07/02/11 - 05:54 pm
Hope they aren't paying too

Hope they aren't paying too much for this new "Study On The New Baseball Stadium", as its totally unneeded, just like the new stadium is...
Lake Olmstead Stadium is a very nice ball park. Great free parking. Nice
seating. Good security...Might be near a housing project, but it doesn't
seem to cause problems at all. I don't like the idea of paying $5 or more
just to park downtown. No one is going to eat or drink more at a down-
town location. Most leaving the ballpark have already eaten and drank enough to need little more than head for home(s)...Cty. Commissioners
are BRAINDEAD for bringing this up yet again...We need a new arena much more than a new ballpark, and we aren't going to get that either.
Maybe the commissioners haven't noticed, the country is now in a deep
recession. No one wants tax money spent on another unneeded item.
If Ripken doesn't like that, let him move on..We'll get another franchise
before he hits the road, with attendance figures like the GJackets have
shown on a consistent basis. He wont leave anyway, for that same reason.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 07/02/11 - 07:33 pm
Now hear this.....WE AS

Now hear this.....WE AS TAXPAYERS DO NOT WANT PUBLIC MONEY USED TO FINANCE A NEW STADIUM!!!. period...What part of this do city leaders not understand?

eagle
eagle 07/02/11 - 10:44 pm
Cobalt..It was Harvard Univ.

Cobalt..It was Harvard Univ. that came out with that study...not Hartford. It was a really lame "scientific" study. Just what I wanted my taxes to be spent on.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/03/11 - 08:32 am
Again... Obama was a LAWYER,

Again... Obama was a LAWYER, LAW PROFESSOR, AND SENATOR between being a community organizer and president. For a bunch that constantly talks about how the other side changes facts to make your side look bad, a lot of y'all do the same thing.

CG, I can't help think that your comment about "true American" was kind of aimed at me a little. Excuse the tardiness of my address of it... time difference and all. Can't help that I can think for myself and I think that both left and right wing are remedial.

RunningMan
RunningMan 07/03/11 - 11:00 am
For someone to say President

For someone to say President Obama has caused the rise of racial tension in the U.S. is like saying Jackie Robinson caused the hate mail and comments he received for becoming the first black professional baseball player, or MLK is to blame for being killed because he want equality for blacks, or blacks are at fault for being spit on and called names because they wanted to attend traditional all white universities and colleges. The bottom line, the only thing the President did was become the first black elected to the U.S. highest office. The hate started in the election primaries and has continued by those simply opposed to the fact a black person is serving in a position traditional held by whites. The President has not done anything to raise the racial tension in this nation, however, the likes of Rush, Tea Party, Palin, Trump, and others have all tried to make him out to be the bad guy. Well, it is not working. He is no more the bad guy than a person thinking just because of the color of their skin, they are privileged and somehow better than others, which is absolute nonsense.

happychimer
happychimer 07/03/11 - 01:02 pm
If President Obama wins the

If President Obama wins the democratic nomination, I will be voting for him in 2012. I don't have to explain the reasons why to anyone. I will again be telling others to get out and vote your choice. That's what it is suppose to be about. FREEDOM.