Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

THIS IS A RAVE for the Augusta Fire Department Firefighters located on Richmond Hill Road who arrived within a few minutes after a tree fell on power lines on Martin Road causing numerous rapid outage explosions of four or five power circuits. This occurred between 11:30 p.m. and midnight during the storm on June 21; and the firefighters stayed right there until the Georgia Power Co. repairmen arrived about a half-hour or so later to make the necessary repairs. Within approximately two hours, our section of this neighborhood had regained power -- yes, I know as a homeowner our taxes are part of this type of coverage protection, but I felt so safe and secure knowing they were all there! What great, great service! Thanks to all of you!

NEWS PHOTO SHOWS somebody supporting lawbreaking immigrants (holding) a sign reading "Brown is beautiful." What does "'brown is beautiful" have to do with rewarding lawbreakers? But aha! The photo caption say this person is a "community organizer." That's what Obama used to be. Is the sign-carrying "organizer," herself, here legally?

THE SUPPLEMENT THAT you included with a recent Wednesday paper, titled "Life After 50!" shows a happy couple in a convertible with the top down, not using seat belts and not wearing hats or sunglasses. The title should have been "Living Foolishly After 50."

THIS IS A HUGE RAVE for the Augusta Commission and the road paving crew that showed up in our subdivision a couple of days ago. We waited a long time to get our streets resurfaced, but the wait was worth it. The crew was working in torrid heat, but their work was perfect. They showed special interest for everyone's property. Thanks to all involved.

THIS IS IN REGARDS to the stadium issue on the river. Really, let's face reality. I've been to Chattanooga to see the stadium on the river there and I had a wonderful time. I've been to Durham. The stadium downtown was beautiful. Augusta, let's have a stadium downtown on Reynolds Street and you will bring more business to downtown. We'd have a wonderful place to visit, go watch the ballgame, eat and relax, and enjoy Augusta.

DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM with cell phones being banned on the campus, but there needs to be a pay phone on the outside for students to contact their parents when they're finished with after-school activities.

I HAVE HAD A COMPUTER for 6 weeks, and all I have gotten from it is headaches, HIGHER blood pressure, and a lighter pocketbook. Like the recent rant from the reader, I read, (books, and the newspaper) There's TV, and I also have a life -- on Earth, not cyberspace.

OUR COMMUNITY is blessed to have 4H's Shirley Williamson supporting our youth. Her tireless efforts to ensure that all participants grow from their experiences should be commended.

Tell us what you think
paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 01:12 am
What is with some of you

What is with some of you people and President Obama being a community organizer? You act like that's all he's ever done, yet MOST of you are all about Herman Cain, who has owned some restaurants. Come off of it already. He was a community organizer in college, he was a SENATOR before his bid for the presidency. Calm your nerves people.

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 07/02/11 - 02:49 am
What did he do between

What did he do between college and being elected to the senate?

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 07/02/11 - 03:21 am
Who cares what he did prior

Who cares what he did prior to be in office...he was elected. If he has to run on what he has acomplished thus far, how well he works with others, what he has done positive for the county, what he has done to improve international relations, how his policies have effected the economy and jobs, etc. then he shouldn't have a chance at all.

Just focus on all he has done that has had a very negative impact on the United States both domestically and internationally....less jobs, worse economy, more wars, less positive relationships with our allies, one of the most divisive leaders ever, trying to raise taxes, increased spending by 24% in 2 short years with no positive results while at the same time cuttind defense and border security, etc...

Jimmy Carter should be the only person happy with Obama's performance because he takes away Carter's title of worst President in our lifetime.

the kid
the kid 07/02/11 - 04:28 am
bammy might not know whats

bammy might not know whats going on with this country, but his golf game should be improving

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 04:57 am
He was a Professor of

He was a Professor of Constitutional Law at Harvard Law between him being a community organizer and a Senator. He was also chairman of the Illinois Senate's Health and Human Services Committee

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 06:57 am
To the rave about Richmond

To the rave about Richmond county firemen......I AGREE!!
I knew some from days ago.....Chief Brown & Mr.Jack were 2 great leaders in the Fire Dept. on Richmond Hill Rd.-----Suburban--- back then.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 06:59 am
To the ranter about the

To the ranter about the computer.....hang in there, it will get better...but once you get addicted there is no turning back!

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/11 - 07:00 am
PaulBaughman, Obama was a law

PaulBaughman, Obama was a law professor at The University of Chicago, not Harvard.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 07:02 am
Riverman.....shame on

Riverman.....shame on you-----You caused me some trouble last night...I laughed all night about your jokes on here & now hubby thinks I'm up to something!!! LOL

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/11 - 07:05 am
Rant and rave cyber?

Rant and rave cyber?

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 07:07 am
Riverman... I concede that

Riverman... I concede that you are entirely correct... He ATTENDED Harvard Law and taught at Chicago Law. My mistake. However, my point remains valid that he has done WAY more than just been a community organizer.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 07:11 am
Harvard/University of

Harvard/University of Chicago....what's in a name...hahahahah
Doesn't a rose smell the same-------cyber communi-kat-shun.....

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/11 - 07:19 am
PaulB. no big deal about the

PaulB. no big deal about the school. I'm just a trivia fan, but I'll disagree with you about his experience besides being a community organizer. He did little. He was more or less a guest lecturer at Chicago. He was a state senator, but hardly voted yea or nay. His biggest claim to fame was as a community organizer. One of his main actions was to organize protests against banks because they weren't making enough loans to poor people. That didn't have such a great consequence obviously.

dichotomy
dichotomy 07/02/11 - 07:19 am
And Obama was not a

And Obama was not a Constitutional lawyer but rather a Civil Rights lawyer. Constitutional law entails way more than the narrow focus Obama has on civil rights. At the time he was primarily a Community Organizer living on money from government grants so he taught 3 classes a year at the local law school to make a few extra bucks. I don't think that amounts to doing WAY more than just being a Community Organizer. When he finally got another job as a state senator he mostly used his vast intellect to vote PRESENT and was very much NOT a leader. His primary qualification during his entire career seems to be that he is a good talker.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 07:24 am
10 years from now President O

10 years from now President O would make a decent President.....right now he is still in the learning stage of life.....he has the speech thing already....
Sad to say.....but the people who could make a great President,, never want to run....go figure!

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 07:25 am
JMO----JMO----JMO--- B4

JMO----JMO----JMO--- B4 someone sez so!

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 07:27 am
Take Time to Smell the

Take Time to Smell the Roses

Take time to smell the roses
Time moves along so fast
It could be that your turn is next
Tomorrow might be your last.

Take time to look around you
See loved ones pass away
We do not know the future
It could be you today.

Just a short poem for my cyber friends.

Riverman1
Riverman1 07/02/11 - 07:28 am
SeenItB4, I tend to agree

SeenItB4, I tend to agree with you. He is a nice guy and a good speaker, but he makes some major mistakes at times. He is simply too inexperienced. The speech the other day attacking capitalists in this capitalistic society sounds like something the Red Guard was throwing around in the 60's. He's not sophisticated enough to realize things like that are out of place and apparently his advisors aren't either.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 07/02/11 - 08:02 am
Obama is a phenomenal reader;

Obama is a phenomenal reader; deprive him of his teleprompter and then lets see his mastery of facts combined with his oratory skill to actually convey clearly articulated discourse. Regardless; he shares a common trait with Bill Clinton. Both are able to look American citizens dead in the eye and lie without blinking. At least Clinton was brilliant in SOME areas... Obama is so bad with numbers they won't allow him to keep his own score card on the golf course. He keeps redistributing his strokes to other players.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 08:13 am
allhans
allhans 07/02/11 - 08:27 am
I am not sure that teaching

I am not sure that teaching law in Chicago is a compliment to Obama, quite the opposite IMO.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 08:31 am
JULIET: 'Tis but thy

JULIET:
'Tis but thy name that is my enemy;
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What's Montague? it is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name which is no part of thee
Take all myself.

Sorry......but this stuck in my mind this am..

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 08:34 am
How many Illinois Governors

How many Illinois Governors have been arrested? ?
So far I could find:

1. Gov. Rod Blagojevich (today)

2. Otto Kerner, a Democrat who was governor from 1961 to 1968, served less than a year of a three-year sentence after his 1973 conviction on bribery, tax evasion and other counts. He was convicted of arranging favorable horse racing dates as governor in return for getting horse racing association stock at reduced prices. Kerner died in 1976.

3. Dan Walker, a Democrat who was governor from 1973 to 1977, served 1 1/2 years of a seven-year sentence after pleading guilty in 1987 to bank fraud, misapplication of funds and perjury. The charges were not related to his service as governor.

4. George Ryan, a Republican who was governor from 1999 to 2003, was convicted of corruption in 2006 for steering state contracts and leases to political insiders while he was Illinois secretary of state and then governor. He is serving a 6 1/2-year prison term

Are there any more?

WOW-----what is it about that state??

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 08:46 am
NEVER said it was a

NEVER said it was a compliment, just stating the facts. As far as being a "guest lecturer", I'm relatively certain that the title of "senior lecturer" implies something contrary to being a "guest." BTW he was also editor of the Harvard Law Review and a practicing Civil Rights Attorney. I'm not a fan of his particular brand of politics at all, but in reality he HAS indeed done way more than just whatever community organizers do. What have YOU done lately? (BTW that last question is NOT a personal attack against anyone in particular, just meant to get you to compare your accomplishments.) The role of the president is not an easy one. Power naturally corrupts and affairs look different from the outside looking in. I'm 100% positive that in his position, I would be an absolute tyrant.

The problem that America faces today isn't outside our borders or even the criminal elements within, it's that we have a now-faulty system of election. The two-party system we have in place has not worked effectively for decades, yet We the People continue to let this happen by voting, almost strictly, either Republican or Democrat.

I see it constantly, in debates on this thread and on the news, where people stringently disagree with this policy by Democrats or that policy by Republicans....meanwhile, WE are the ones that ALLOW these things to continuously take place.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 08:48 am
BTW, ANYONE looking to play

BTW, ANYONE looking to play the "race card" regarding our current president is remedial.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 08:52 am
I have to leave for a

I have to leave for a spell...if I want to stay married...haha
I'm leaving my friends with this great song....

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 10:04 am
What 6 conflicts are you

What 6 conflicts are you referring to? Please enlighten me as to how it is ONE man's fault that we are in multiple conflicts, a shaky stock market, and an entire region of our planet in turmoil. One of the two following scenarios are true, you tell me which one: Either EVERYTHING wrong with our country is entirely Obama's fault or...OR People that type all day on the internet or run their mouths all day in the media have little to no knowledge how politics work.

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 10:30 am
Excuse me paul....I run my

Excuse me paul....I run my mouth on here & I do know"a little"about politics"......

On another subject----it would be interesting to know how many of these punks had a father in their home...

seenitB4 07/02/11 - 10:47 am

just got this email---thanks---Burger King & fast food will start selling beer........I will have 2 6 packs to go please----

ok ... river & brad you can stop sending in those letters ...looks like it worked!

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 07/02/11 - 11:03 am
seenit, that was not directed

seenit, that was not directed at anyone in particular...just a broad generalization.

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...