Woman dies after ejection in wreck

A 36-year-old woman was killed after being ejected from a vehicle in a wreck near the on-ramp to westbound Interstate 20 at the Grovetown exit, authorities said.

Elizabeth Regina Deibele, of Grovetown, was ejected from the vehicle and died at the scene. She was not wearing a seat belt, Columbia County Coroner Vernon Collins said.  Jenna Martin/Staff
Jenna Martin/Staff

The driver of a Jeep Liberty was westbound on I-20 near the Lewiston Road overpass and lost control of the vehicle, which flipped, Columbia County sheriff's Capt. Steve Morris said in an e-mail.

William Miles Jr., 30, of Appling, was a passenger in the SUV and was taken to Medical College of Georgia Hospital for treatment, Morris said. Miles' injuries is not believed to be life-threatening, Morris said.

Heavy rain is considered a contributing factor, Morris said. The accident occurred about 5:45 p.m., and the on-ramp was closed for about two hours.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 06/28/11 - 07:22 pm
Not many details, but I'm

Not many details, but I'm wondering how you have a wreck on an on ramp.....I've said it before and I'll say it again....PLEASE WEAR YOUR SEAT BELTS. Many times drivers lose control because they are NOT buckled in place. With that being said, my prayers to the family of the victim.

dougk
dougk 06/28/11 - 08:56 pm
lose control because you are

lose control because you are not buckled? Now, that's a platitude that I will really have to concentrate on.

dougk
dougk 06/28/11 - 08:59 pm
repeat...

repeat...

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 06/28/11 - 09:13 pm
Should have clarified

Should have clarified that.....RETAIN CONTROL when not buckled. Happens all the time. This here old timer is a graduate of the Bondurant School Of Performance driving, way back in the early 90's. I've been a SCCA member for many years and driven quite a few auto cross events and rallies as well. Retaining control of a vehicle is essential. At least the story is a bit clearer now that more details have been added to it. The original said it happened ON the ramp. Now they say it was on the HIGHWAY. That makes more sense, especially when a car can hydroplane if driven too fast in the rain. Again, prayers to the victim's family.

thomsonlady
thomsonlady 06/28/11 - 09:41 pm
To clarify the accident did

To clarify the accident did not happen on the on ramp. The car was traveling on I-20 and begun to spin, when it reached the grassy ditch/median between I-20 and the on-ramp, it began to flip. The car eventually stopped at the bottom of the on-ramp.

iluv2chatwu
iluv2chatwu 06/28/11 - 09:47 pm
To my son who just got his

To my son who just got his learners driving permit and all of his friends....YES...I will ALWAYS nag at you about buckeling up!!! It's only because I love you <3 And...always pull over and wait out the rain. My heart goes out to this family who lost a loved one. I pray everytime you get behind the wheel.

nothin2show4it
nothin2show4it 06/28/11 - 10:10 pm
I'm not saying this happened

I'm not saying this happened here but when are people going to slow down and drive the speed limit. AND slow down during bad driving conditions like rain?

j-campbell
j-campbell 06/29/11 - 12:41 am
I passed that wreck shortly

I passed that wreck shortly after it happened, and it was evident that it was very serious. It is tragic that someone was killed. The rain had been extremely heavy, and another apparently less serious wreck had occurred less than a mile further west in the eastbound lane.

Riverrunner30909
Riverrunner30909 06/29/11 - 07:45 am
Dougk think about nascar.

Dougk think about nascar. Why are they buckled in or any other racer or airline pilots. If you hit a puddle of water and it caused you to make a hard jerk in either direction, your chances of recovery is many time greater if you are secured in your seat rather than being jarred from side to side. So yes you have lost control because you were not buckled in. DDDUUUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

stillamazed
stillamazed 06/29/11 - 08:10 am
I argue with my son all the

I argue with my son all the time about his seat belt, his old car had an automatic seatbelt, and he hates them because he has a fear of being trapped in by one. I argue that at least he would not be ejected. I don't know the statstics but I tend to believe that more people die from ejection or trama from not being strapped in than by those who are wearing them. Prayers go out to this womans family and also to the man who was injured.

curly123053
curly123053 06/29/11 - 08:36 am
Wearing your safety

Wearing your safety restraints does in fact help a driver retain control of an out of control vehicle. While working E.M.S. I had the oppurtunity to take the 40hr course on the use and inspection of passenger restraint systems, from baby seats to the driver's restraints. That course opened my eyes to the causes of many of the roll-over crashes I had responded to over the previous years.....To make a long story short, when a car starts to slide sideways one way or the other it creates forces within a vehicle which causes things to slide and move within the car. The passengers typically hold onto the dash or seat to try to stay in place. The driver already has his hands on the steering wheel and is using the steering wheel to try to keep from sliding out of the seat, resulting in steering wheel turning and causing the roll-over.....A driver who is properly restrained will be held in place when the vehicle starts to slide and has a much greater chance of maintaining control of the vehicle to avoid a roll-over. The federal Highway Safety Administration which conducted the training which was attended by various EMS and law enforcement departments, provided handouts with facts and examples of this being true many times over. If only 1 person in a car decides to wear his/her seatbelt it's better for that 1 person to be the driver. That restrained driver has a better chance of getting control of his vehicle in a slide if he is held in place. I am sorry for this loss of life which was completely avoidable.

tmaugusta
tmaugusta 06/29/11 - 08:47 am
I'm surprised there aren't

I'm surprised there aren't more wrecks and road ragers with the way Columbia and Richmond County Residents drive.

curiousone
curiousone 06/29/11 - 08:55 am
I came by this accident, too,

I came by this accident, too, shortly after it had happened -- so sad. Saw several other accidents in the near vicinity, too, likley cause in part by the heavy rain that had just passed through the area. Praying for the family of this lady, and hoping that everyone will buckle up, slow down, and have more respect for one another on the roads. Can't tell you how many people ahead of me on I-20 didn't even change lanes to move away from the accident when the blue lights of the police cars were very visible on the right side of the road.

RunningMan
RunningMan 06/29/11 - 12:28 pm
Although not mentioned,

Although not mentioned, drivers many times forget to adjust their driving based on the condition at that time. It can be pouring down raining and the driver is still rolling down the road 10-15 mph above the speed limit. Better to arrive safe than not at all.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/29/11 - 02:06 pm
tmAugusta...its not just

tmAugusta...its not just Columbia and Richmond county residents driving too fast...its almost everyone who uses the road and where someone is from doesnt make a difference.
Seatbelts DO save lives...as a former vol. firefighter and racetrack safety crew worker, I have to say that both proudgunowner and curly are right on track. As a track fire rescue worker, Ive seen people roll street cars (in racing drivers schools- SCCA being one) and walk away uninjured mostly because of the fact that they were properly belted in. I have a friend who has rolled his truck and everyone inside walked away, again because they were all wearing seatbelts. Id rather be trapped inside than trapped underneath..

Vito45
Vito45 06/29/11 - 10:15 pm
I am very much a Libertarian

I am very much a Libertarian when it comes to laws protecting me from myself, and many people view the seatbelt laws as such. They are wrong! As some of you have pointed out, keeping a driver strapped in under the wheel greatly increases the chances they will regain/maintain control of their vehicle and not kill ME.

Missing teen found dead

The body of Nicholas Charles Dunn, 18, was found Tuesday in the woods behind Cross Creek High School, according to a statement from Richmond County Coroner Mark Bowen.