News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

BUILD THE Ripken Stadium, with all of its bottleneck traffic, harsh lighting, noise, chaos and crime to downtown, far away from his majesty Mayor Deke's Conifer Place, peace, comfort and safety.

I CANNOT FIGURE this out. This whole ballpark thing has been talked about for four years or more now, and the team owners can't come to the commission and tell them what they want? Is it really that hard? Can they not find the marble palace?

BAN CELL PHONES in school. Best joke I have heard all day. No one will enforce it. I work in a high school, I know.

ACCORDING TO THE Columbia County Employee Handbook, county employees are not supposed to smoke within 25 feet of a doorway. Trust me, it is not followed. According to the (handbook), no employees are supposed to smoke in a county owned vehicle. That's another one not followed.

TO CLAIM THAT another multimillion-dollar vacation for Mrs. Obama, this time to South Africa, should be paid for by taxpayers because "we're not that poor yet," is absurd. Aren't we something like $16,000,000,000,000 in the hole? How much poorer must America get to be "that poor?"

THE REPUBLICAN CONTROLLED New York state legislature voted to allow "gay" marriage. In other words, both big parties will turn on you in a minute. We cannot trust either one.

LET ME GET this straight. So the city has to go and approach Ripken Baseball to find out what they want? How about they just come out and say what they want and what they plan to do? Is that so hard to do?

THIS IS A RANT for Commissioner Joe Bowles. I read in the paper that he spoke at that gay pride festival. I don't think that's right. We shouldn't be condoning that kind of sinful lifestyle. At least the mayor had enough sense to stay away from it, because it makes the city look bad and he wants to promote the city in a positive way.

THIS IS A RANT about the bridge on Lock and Dam Road in front of the mayor's pond. The lip on the bridge will bust your tires. It needs to be fixed before someone gets hurt by having a tire blow out!

A BUNCH OF CROOKS called congressmen are taking a holiday -- they call it official business -- in Europe. Never expect these thugs to do anything right. If American voters can't learn after this to ALWAYS vote against incumbents, American voters have successfully been dumbed down by public school "education," just like socialist power grabbers have always wanted.

AUGUSTA HAS A MOST unusual map. From south to north comes Third Avenue, then Second Avenue, then First Avenue, and then 15th Avenue. That must make sense to somebody.

THIS IS A RANT to the businesses who supported the Augusta Gay Pride Parade. I will not be patronizing Certa Pro Painters, Meybohm Realtors, Verizon or Wells Fargo. Sexual orientation should be kept private and not flaunted openly. I hope these companies will invest as much money in pro-family causes as they do anti-family ones like the LGBT movement.

A TRAFFIC CAMERA needs to go up at the intersection of Jimmy Dyess and Powell Road. Wrecks, wrecks and more wrecks.

Tell us what you think
ECDanes
ECDanes 06/27/11 - 12:13 am
Good for Joe Bowles! I'm sure

Good for Joe Bowles! I'm sure he was fully aware the bigots would come out of the woodworks and chastise him for attending the Pride festival. It took a lot of political courage. As usual, Deke just ran off to avoid the tinge of any controversy.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 06/27/11 - 12:41 am
Some of you people just amaze

Some of you people just amaze me that you actually believe that gays are ruining the city.

Everyone that's complaining about Mr. Copenhaver and the baseball stadium.... just remember that you KNEW this in advance and STILL reelected him.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/27/11 - 12:48 am
you're right paul.. the

you're right paul.. the mandate mayor. Can anyone think of any major issue that Deke has championed as hard as the ballpark in the last 5 years?

coffeetime1
coffeetime1 06/27/11 - 08:04 am
As far as the stadium goes

As far as the stadium goes bigger isn't always better. I like our baseball stadium alot. It has that small town feel that seems to go with baseball.Plus, the only time games sell out or come close to selling out is on Thirsty Thursday's when beer is a 1.00! Leave it where it is...spend the money to HELP revitalize downtown.

raul
raul 06/27/11 - 08:33 am
The way I understand it is

The way I understand it is Ripkin has recently stated leaving the stadium at Olmstead is not in their long term plans, so status quo is not an option if that is true and not a bluff. A couple of folks have mentioned letting Ripkin present their plan to the county as to what they want. Sounds good to me, why should the county take on that monkey, spend money, and spin their wheels some more? Put the monkey on Ripkin.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/27/11 - 09:30 am
Just WHAT is wrong with the

Just WHAT is wrong with the current baseball stadium???????

JAndy
JAndy 06/27/11 - 09:53 am
I don't agree with the parade

I don't agree with the parade and all. But, give Joe Bowles a break. At least he is supporting family members and friends. Everyone has a reason for what they do. Maybe this was his.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 10:02 am

95 year old forced to remove diaper at Destin-Ft Walton airport.....we have lost our mind in so many ways..

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 10:05 am
Ac is holding my post....a95

Ac is holding my post....a95 yr old had her diaper removed at Destin-FtWalton airport-------what else will we do at airports.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 10:07 am
Maybe the day will come where

Maybe the day will come where we all will strip naked & walk through security at the airports....geeez.....

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/11 - 10:58 am
Although I'm sure this was

Although I'm sure this was very humiliating for this 95 year old woman, the first question that came to mind was, why in the world did the daughter not have an extra Depends for her mother, just in case of an accident.

scooter2762
scooter2762 06/27/11 - 11:19 am
And I'll go out of my way to

And I'll go out of my way to go to the companies that supported the Gay Parade. People never cease to amaze me.

justthefacts
20483
justthefacts 06/27/11 - 11:21 am
ICL, that's the first thought

ICL, that's the first thought that came to your mind? Man, do we think differently.

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/27/11 - 11:57 am
Rant #2 and #7.. Yeah pretty

Rant #2 and #7.. Yeah pretty simple, huh? Wonder why the commissioners couldn't figure that out?

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 11:34 am
ICL....My thought was if they

ICL....My thought was if they had to check why not let the old lady keep it on after checking.....95 year old folks need diaper sometimes 24/7.
Kinda reminds me of the times I changed my babies diapers & they did a number while I was changing them!

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 11:36 am
I've been through that

I've been through that airport a few times.....now I will think of that lady & her diaper ....yikes!

Emerydan
Emerydan 06/27/11 - 01:18 pm
I am proud of Joe Bowles for

I am proud of Joe Bowles for representing the city at Pride. It makes a statement that Augusta is not the intolerant place that some people think it is. That one action did more to boost Augusta as a "cool" place to live than Deke has done in the last 4 years pushing for his ballpark.

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/11 - 01:27 pm
Justthefacts, the thought

Justthefacts, the thought about the daughter being unprepared came to my mind first I guess because it said the daughter took the mother to the restroom to remove the adult diaper and the daughter did not have another one. Mother's always (should always) be prepared for the unexpected accident with little ones.....I assumed it is the same way with elderly parents. My first thought was....why wasn't this daughter prepared in case her mother had an accident. No way would I allow the chance of my elderly mother being caught in an embarassing situation. They had a long flight ahead and I guess she expected her mother to sit a wet diaper the whole flight?

Whether the airport was wrong or right, the daughter should have been prepared.

happychimer
happychimer 06/27/11 - 01:46 pm
ICL maybe the daughter was

ICL maybe the daughter was prepared.If she put another diaper on her mother, the mother could have been searched all over again. Maybe the daughter had diapers in a bag that was being checked out and was not allowed to pick up the bag till she finished going through security.

justthefacts
20483
justthefacts 06/27/11 - 01:47 pm
ICL, that's fine. My first

ICL, that's fine. My first thought was what the heck has this country come to when 95 yr old women have to frisked and humiliated in such a manner?

InChristLove
InChristLove 06/27/11 - 02:01 pm
I agree justthefacts...why

I agree justthefacts...why does a 95 yr old disabled woman have to be checked but those are the rules when boarding a plane. happychimer, since I wasn't there I can only go on what the article stated. If the daughter had an extra diaper for her mom then why did she take the mother back to the bathroom after she had passed through security? Maybe they have no bathrooms after you leave the area you are scanned....maybe she should have been scanned first so she would already be through security after she took her mother to the restroom and be waiting for her mother on the other side after her second scan. I just questioned why the elderly woman had to go bottomless.

justthefacts
20483
justthefacts 06/27/11 - 02:53 pm
Speaking of air travel, I see

Speaking of air travel, I see First Lady Obama's trip to Africa cost the taxpayers $800K. And people wonder why we need to raise taxes on the rich. It's so obvious.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/27/11 - 04:35 pm
I was forwarded a video of

I was forwarded a video of yet another fight in Augusta Mall over the weekend; not to my surprise nothing on the AC site. Big advertising bucks seems to keep a lot out of the "news."

Willow Bailey
20580
Willow Bailey 06/27/11 - 04:38 pm
Yikes! on the $800K, and on

Yikes! on the $800K, and on to the question of what did Mrs. O, accomplish in Africa on behalf of Americans?

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/27/11 - 05:04 pm
Commissioner Bowles: THANK

Commissioner Bowles: THANK YOU for your support at the Augusta Pride Festival. I seriously doubt you "agree" to the lifestyle, but you know the value of diversity, tolerance, and equality for ALL. Take no issue with those who criticize you for this as they are small minded and can't help themselves.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/27/11 - 07:33 pm
Fight in the mall.......I

Fight in the mall.......I would like to see that video. Hi stranger..

Tonight on national news they showed a store that sold only USA products...it was PACKED with customers.......their business had doubled in the last year.....this store was in the NY state area,,,but they plan to open a store in every section/state of the US.......people want it.
Some bus groups stop at the store...some had been on tour at Niagara Falls & found trinkets-items-flags-anything at all came from OTHER countries..they refused to buy.....GOOD FOR THEM!

Good idea for Regency Mall---USA only products.

dstewartsr
20388
dstewartsr 06/27/11 - 09:54 pm
Here's the link sent to

Here's the link sent to me:

Hey seenit; I've posted here a couple of times since I got back into town, but they're removed almost as soon as I hit the 'save comment' button.

KSL