Order puts vet's home on hold for now

A house for disabled war veteran Sean Gittens might be built in an Evans subdivision, after all.

Construction on a house for Sgt. 1st Class Sean Gittens, a partially paralyzed Army veteran, might get under way next month in Knob Hill subdivision in Evans.   Jim Blaylock/Staff
Jim Blaylock/Staff

Homes for Our Troops founder John Gonsalves said he spoke Friday morning to the president of the Knob Hill Property Owners Association, which issued a cease-and-desist order days before construction of a home was scheduled to begin.

"He said they will approve the size of the house," Gonsalves said. "But because their covenants are so vague, we've asked them to list out in detail exactly what else they are looking for."

Construction at Knob Hill is guided by covenants and an architectural control board. The association initially said the planned house was too small to fit in with other houses on the street and later added other issues to its concerns, such as proper landscaping and irrigation.

Gonsalves has said the association approved the home design June 2, so his group moved forward with plans. The association reversed its decision last week as the site was being prepared. Its president, Rick Trump, maintains that the approval process was continuing and that Homes for Our Troops had not gotten the final approval.

Trump said he felt confident an agreement could be worked out during the weekend.

"We've given them suggestions as to some specific architectural details," Trump said. "We're just looking for some documentation from them that we hadn't seen prior to this."

Homes for Our Troops is a national organization that has built homes free of charge for severely disabled veterans. Construction for Gittens, a sergeant first class who is partially paralyzed, was scheduled to begin Friday.

If an agreement is reached, construction could begin next month, Gonsalves said.

iLove
iLove 06/24/11 - 11:33 am
The damage has been done.

The damage has been done.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/24/11 - 11:45 am
Oh...that is good...hold a

Oh...that is good...hold a grudge while progress is made, and the end result is a good one. Was I married to you once?

osborn
osborn 06/24/11 - 11:49 am
Amen, Austin. People talk

Amen, Austin. People talk and reach a compromise, then it's shot at. Good Lord, can't we be glad that there's progress? Maybe paying 85k or so for a lot was ill advised from the jump off. Seems to me like there are mistakes all over on this one--but light at the end of the tunnel that this can be fixed. Isn't that what's most important?

edubb
edubb 06/24/11 - 11:54 am
Great..Please post updates

Great..Please post updates about this story. We need to be informed. I got Anderson Cooper on Speed Dial..

insamniac
insamniac 06/24/11 - 11:55 am
I'm glad this issue is

I'm glad this issue is seemingly resolved, though now we'll get even more people calling us Snob Hill!

I'd still like to see HFOT's alleged approval from June 2nd. Just a wild hypothesis, but I'm more inclined to believe that they jumped the gun in scheduling their build, and having a tight schedule, they were upset and alerted the media to speed things along. Effective tactic if nothing else.

iLove
iLove 06/24/11 - 12:22 pm
Austin, first no, I am not

Austin, first no, I am not attracted to your kind...I'm a guy. But I will be @ the parade tomorrow, it that matters...

You actually know me...well you know my family.

Second, please show me where I said I am holding a grudge...heck, who would I hold it against? Why be mad? Why give someone else control over you?

Compormise. . . .like the ACES suggested...yea, sure.

If there hasn't been any damage done, then it is as you say it O Great A Rhodes.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 12:03 pm
A public apology for

A public apology for continuously changing the requirements would be a step in the right direction to restore their joy and excitement for their new home.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/24/11 - 12:08 pm
I'm glad they are making

I'm glad they are making progress too. I feel kinda bad that the family will have to live amongst such snobby neighbors though.

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/24/11 - 12:11 pm
Not attracted to my kind?

Not attracted to my kind? That never stopped anyone from marrying me...

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/24/11 - 12:13 pm
I see PLENTY of evidence that

I see PLENTY of evidence that the neighbors are quite happy this has worked out for the soldier's family...and I bet you the final home will end up meeting all current HOA standards...anyone want to place a bet on that?

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 06/24/11 - 12:14 pm
I agree that Knob Hill HOA

I agree that Knob Hill HOA needs to be more specific on their restrictions and architectural requirements. Having read through some of their stuff on their website, they already have too many rules for my tastes. Enclosed garages for boats, campers and such? If I own the property, I should be able to store my stuff on it, provided I do so in a neat and orderly fashion. Homes should be lived in and not treated as pieces of art.

insamniac
insamniac 06/24/11 - 12:15 pm
Patty-P, the family already

Patty-P, the family already lives in Knob Hill. They must like the snobby neighbors or they would have chosen a different location for their new home.

Willow, stop following me, I thought I ditched you in the last article! :)

I don't know if the HOA really needs to apologize. I think you're being a bit hasty by suggesting that, since a lot of the details haven't been fully disclosed. I'd really love to see the correspondence between the HOA and HFOT, but I doubt that'll happen. Until then, everything is just speculation.

iLove
iLove 06/24/11 - 12:20 pm

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/24/11 - 12:18 pm
Rogue, there are plenty of

Rogue, there are plenty of neighborhoods for people who feel as you do. Why should your likes/dislikes be forced on every neighborhood? If Knob Hills rules don't appeal to you, fine. Apparently many people like them. To each his own.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/24/11 - 12:18 pm
at least it's just the hoa

at least it's just the hoa they have to feel sad about. i'm sure their neighbors love them. don't worry, you guys, we all hate our hoas! mine is threatening to kill all our cats if we let them outside. they're busybodies who need to meet little suzy who or something. god bless the family, the builders, the nice neighbors, everyone who called out the hoa's bs including and importantly the chronicle, tony powers and fox news. everyone's right sometimes. and please consider dissolving your hoa's everybody. probably with whatever kills cockroaches.

happychimer
19565
happychimer 06/24/11 - 12:18 pm
Sure it is good news that

Sure it is good news that progress is being made, but I would not want to live within hollering distance of stuck up snobs.

Patty-P
Patty-P 06/24/11 - 12:20 pm
insamniac...things have

insamniac...things have changed a little even though they already live there. I hope everything works out for them. They've been through enough already.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 01:38 pm
Austin, you say "current"

Austin, you say "current" standards. The CCR's are not changable. Atleast they are not legally changable unless all property owners agree in writing. It doesn't appear that the Gittens were trying to mess up the standards.

I will place a bet with you that many of the existing properties don't meet the reported "standards". And here is the good part; we won't have to waste a lot of time on it. What's the bet?

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/24/11 - 12:27 pm
we're watching willow and

we're watching willow and austin...

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/24/11 - 12:36 pm
Never mind.

Never mind.

Chillen
Chillen 06/24/11 - 12:43 pm
A one story 2700 square foot

A one story 2700 square foot home has a MUCH larger footprint than a 3500 square foot two story home. I suspect it will fit in just fine.

To all you folks calling Knob Hill snob hill or calling their residents stuck up snobs, I ask you --- How many people do you know who live in Knob Hill? I know dozens and they are good people, yes there are a few jerks too, but not many.

I'm sick of the wealth envy attacks. You people are relentless and you use any issue possible to attack the successful. Get a grip on yourselves.

RogueKnight
RogueKnight 06/24/11 - 12:44 pm
JustTheFacts, all I was

JustTheFacts, all I was saying in my last post was, if I'm buying the property and paying the mortgage, I'd rather be the one who has control over what I do, or don't do, with my property, and not the HOA. I understand what the purpose of restrictive covenants are, and they do serve a purpose. I live in a subdivision and we have RC's. Not as strict as Knob Hill's, though.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 12:55 pm
Well, I don't have all

Well, I don't have all day...where are you sweetheart, I mean, Austin?

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/24/11 - 12:53 pm
Fine Rogue, and all I am

Fine Rogue, and all I am saying is read the covenants and decide if it fits your like/dislikes before buying. That's all.

broad street narrow mind
broad street narrow mind 06/24/11 - 12:53 pm
willow, austin's either busy

willow, austin's either busy hedging this bet like the one he just proposed (yeah i bet this next plan will be to the standard just like the last one was) or he's not gonna be able to make it.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 12:57 pm
broad street, you just gotta

broad street, you just gotta love him.

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 01:08 pm
Arrogance, insamniac? I have

Arrogance, insamniac? I have said nothing to you on this thread, though I chewed your backside on the last one. But, I can understand why you wouldn't want me posting after you. I can be tenacious; it's all part of my charm:)

Austin Rhodes
Austin Rhodes 06/24/11 - 02:20 pm
Willow...why would I agree to

Willow...why would I agree to that bet? Stick with my logical premise...the house will meet specs when built...as approved. No exceptions will be needed...

Willow Bailey
20605
Willow Bailey 06/24/11 - 02:29 pm
Austin, Your post did not

Austin, Your post did not read that way to me. If you meant by the "approved" remark, being what was previously presented by HFOT prior to excavation, then my heartfelt apologies to you, friend.

curly123053
curly123053 06/24/11 - 02:54 pm
I hope and pray things work

I hope and pray things work out for the vet. It would be nice to see a happy ending in this story.

Christmas Eve rains to dry up

If Wednesday seemed particularly wet and dreary, you would be right. The day broke the record for the wettest Christmas Eve that Augusta has ever had.