Augusta woman collects millions

Three weeks ago, Joyce Hendrix was fired, but she had a smile on her face Thursday when she was handed a check for $3 million.

Back | Next
Joyce Hendrix said her only plans so far with her winnings are to hide out and maybe load her freezer with steaks from her former place of business.   Bianca Cain/Staff
Bianca Cain/Staff

The 55-year-old grandmother of four said she almost collapsed in the doorway of Smart Grocery at 3221 Wrightsboro Road when she scratched her Super Millions instant ticket Wednesday.

"The cashiers went to hollering," she said. "I only lived five minutes away, and I could barely drive home."

Hendrix said she went to God when she was fired from her job as a supervisor at a local grocery store. If God helped her get back on her feet, she promised, she would never play again.

"He blessed me pretty good," she said. "So it might be awhile before I play again."

Her only plans right now are to hide out and maybe load her freezer with steaks from her former place of business. After a few weeks, she plans to look for a new job.

With a large grin and a big green check in her hands, she said she is not one to sit still.

She will be looking at other options, however, such as opening her own cleaning business. She mainly aspires to help her family with her winnings.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/23/11 - 09:44 am
Great news.......

Great news.......

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/23/11 - 10:07 am
I'd like to submit my name as

I'd like to submit my name as the recipient of a generous charitable donation from my new best friend ....................... (will fill in the blank at 10:30am)

soitgoes
soitgoes 06/23/11 - 10:36 am
wahoo!! party time!!

wahoo!! party time!!

pagirl01
pagirl01 06/23/11 - 11:06 am
I know who this is! And I'll

I know who this is! And I'll have to say it couldn't have happened to a more deserving person = ) I'm happy for her and can't wait to see her next time I'm in town.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/23/11 - 11:10 am
Whoever it is, is now my new

Whoever it is, is now my new 1st cousin.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/23/11 - 11:16 am
Hahahah! My long-lost cousin

Hahahah! My long-lost cousin too! WISH! Congrats to whomever! I would advise not coming public with it.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/23/11 - 11:23 am
Wonder if this have any

Wonder if this have any effect on their stance on "taxing the rich" to oblivion?

etlinks
etlinks 06/23/11 - 11:47 am
Good for her.

Good for her.

BamaMan
BamaMan 06/23/11 - 12:00 pm
Huh. First she says she told

Huh. First she says she told God she would never play again if He helped her get back on her feet. NOW, she wins and says it might be a while before she plays again.

Chillen
Chillen 06/23/11 - 12:10 pm
She wins the lottery and she

She wins the lottery and she still plans to go out and look for a job or open her own business. Yea for the American spirit! I love it!

unclemoriees
unclemoriees 06/23/11 - 01:52 pm
Out of work and still buying

Out of work and still buying lotto tickets, hmmmm!!!

auralconcepts
auralconcepts 06/23/11 - 01:57 pm
BamaMan, I'm with you! I

BamaMan, I'm with you! I noticed that right off the bat. How funny! People name-drop God way too often.

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 02:13 pm
I KNOW HER! Im the 6th

I KNOW HER! Im the 6th cousin of her oldest grankid mothers' coworker's next door neighbor! I need a loan!

TrulyWorried
20885
TrulyWorried 06/23/11 - 02:21 pm
emergencyfan - exactly my

emergencyfan - exactly my thoughts - why use the word "fired" - sounds so drastic as if she had done something wrong. "Let go" or "lost her job" - there would have been other ways to tell the story. Oh well, just a thought.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/23/11 - 02:35 pm
Hey aura, is it ok if I say;;

Hey aura, is it ok if I say;; God I wish she was my grandmother! LOL I am with the rest of you when saying that she should not made a promise to God and then immediately backed out. Maybe she was misquoted!

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 02:45 pm
maybe its just me but if I am

maybe its just me but if I am 55 and hit for $3 milly, Im DONE working! Im taking a position away from someone who needs it. Also, im not investing in a cleaning business. Maybe some good AAA-rated corp/muni bonds or high yield CD and live off the interest...4% on $3 milly is $120,000/yr!

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/23/11 - 03:16 pm
blackkone, I think you're

blackkone, I think you're forgetting Joyce's favorite uncle, Sam. He will assuredly expect a big chunk of that money. I'm guessing half, depending upon how it's distributed to her.

Still, you could live very comfortably on 1.5 mil for the remainder of her 20ish year life expectancy if you were responsible with the funds. I'm with you though, I wouldn't start a business. Too much risk.

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 04:06 pm
EMERGENCY...I initially

EMERGENCY...I initially considered the taxes on that 3 mil but the article states she was handed a check for 3 mil. Maybe it was one of the huge checks winners get just for picture purposes. Im sure Uncle Sammy cant wait to get his hands on it though!

You are right though, even if its 1.5 milly, i could still drive off into the sunset with that. even 4% on 1.5 mill still pockets you $60,000/yr before taxes. invest in muni's in GA and that 60k is TAX-FREE!

but the average person would probably go out and buy a three-quarter-mil house and a couple of BMW's, new wardrobe, etc. and find themselves back where they were before they won.

Craig Spinks
Craig Spinks 06/23/11 - 04:25 pm
Hope Mrs. Hendrix has

Hope Mrs. Hendrix has retained the services of honest financial advisors.

The Great Commenter
The Great Commenter 06/23/11 - 04:46 pm
I'm very happy for her. I

I'm very happy for her.
I wouldn't be looking for a job either. She could do volunteer work though. I agree that she could be taking a job from someone who really, really needs one.
If it were me I'd bank the cash and live on the interest. I would live frugally and work helping the needy.
whatever you do Joyce don't break your promised to God!
Again I'm very happy for you.

happychimer
happychimer 06/23/11 - 04:47 pm
I am happy for her. My uncle

I am happy for her. My uncle won a million dollars back in 2005. He bought new cars for his son and daughter. A lot of it went for expensive cancer medication. He passed away in 2009.and yes taxes were paid before he got his money.

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 04:57 pm
PAGIRL01...Relax. no one

PAGIRL01...Relax. no one said anything negative, except for the AC stating her separation from her previous job. Everyone is happy for her. All comments are positive with a little humor sprinkled in :)

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 05:04 pm
AC removed PAGIRL01's last

AC removed PAGIRL01's last comment? Why?

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/23/11 - 05:12 pm
Hey blakkone, tell us how to

Hey blakkone, tell us how to get 4% without risks. I am with you on your "investing eguals income" philosophy!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/23/11 - 05:21 pm
If she wants to start up a

If she wants to start up a business that would employ other people, that is a great idea if that would make her happy. I can understand someone wanting to do that in this economy. If she just wanted to work and not be an employer she might be better off just volunteering. I would rather do one of those two options, if I was financially set for life, so I would not want to take a paying job from another person that wants to be a productive employee during these tough economic times when jobs are hard to find.

blakkone
blakkone 06/23/11 - 05:27 pm
SWEETSON...No such thing as

SWEETSON...No such thing as "NO RISK" when it comes to investing. However, there are inivestments with "VERY LITTLE RISK". Check out 10-year G.O. (Government Obligatins) Muni bonds. Free from Federal tax and (if they are GA bonds) state tax, also.

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/23/11 - 05:48 pm
Thanks blakkone, I will look

Thanks blakkone, I will look into it. Have some low interest CD's maturing!!

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 06/23/11 - 06:12 pm
Congratulations Cuz! By the

Congratulations Cuz! By the way, I forgot your phone # and address. Your Favorite Cousin, Bubba.

studmuffin1533
studmuffin1533 06/23/11 - 09:31 pm
Note to Self: Don't bother

Note to Self: Don't bother playing Super Millions for a while.

bclicious
bclicious 06/24/11 - 12:36 am
Joyce Hendrix should buy the

Joyce Hendrix should buy the grocery store where she was fired from, and fire the entire management team. That would just be awesome!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!