Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

AS I'M SITTING here Friday watching the second day of the U.S. Open, I'm appalled at the USGA would give the greatest golfers in the world such easy conditions and such an easy golf course to shoot at. I think I'm watching the Shell Houston Open. The winner's probably going to be 20-under par. I guess the players bickering at the deep rough and the conditions in the past, the USGA is finally giving in. Now we're just watching another cheap imitation of the Shell Houston Open.

IF THOSE AGAINST fossil fuels would rid their existence of all plastic (by-products of oil) then I might not think they are gas bags.

THIS IS A RANT to all the drivers who can't move over to the left lane if clear when approaching an on-ramp. We know you have the right of way, but would a little courtesy put you out too much?

I COMPLETELY AGREE with the medical student ranting about Augusta. I am in the same boat. Most of us call living here "serving time," like we are in prison. I would consider a residency in inner-city Detroit a step up from being stuck here. I always heard this placed called "Disgusta." Now I understand why.

A BIG RAVE to the person or persons who had the new signs installed at the entrance of Holiday Park subdivision. This project was very much needed, and so thanks again for stepping up to the plate and getting the job done.

HOW ODD THAT with all the dangerous bozos who end up in Congress, we have ended up with Weiners and Franks.

THIS IS A RANT on Republicans. No, I'm not a Democrat. I'm an independent. But the Republicans keep telling the American people we are spending too much money we don't have, yet they keep giving billions of dollars to the big oil companies and billions of dollars of tax breaks to most wealthy Americans. Is this money we have or money that don't count when you spend it? Can't be both. Which is it?

I WENT TO MCG and agree with Dr. Azziz and the medical student. I'm now a neurologist in Atlanta. Most of my friends at MCG were eager to leave Augusta. Now that the Athens campus is open, I imagine many medical students will choose to study there over Augusta.

REGARDING THIS whole debate on whether Augusta is "cool" or not: I think The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band settled that question more than 30 years ago when they said "Augusta, Georgia, is just no place to be."

WHY WERE PRISONERS at Augusta Mall cutting and removing shrubbery on Wednesday afternoon?

WE HAVE NO business sending troops into Libya. Bring our National Guard home. Get rid of Obama and his crew and we'll have a country left.

Tell us what you think
AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/17/11 - 08:08 pm
Good question about the

Good question about the prisoners doing landscaping on private property. Really? What next?

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/17/11 - 10:17 pm
"Excuse me mama now but what

"Excuse me mama now but what did you say? My mind was drifting out on Martinique Bay. It's not that I'm not interested, you see. Augusta, Georgia is just no place to be."

bclicious
bclicious 06/17/11 - 10:31 pm
"WHY WERE PRISONERS at the

"WHY WERE PRISONERS at the Augusta Mall cutting and removing shrubbery on Wednesday afternoon?"

Well, I cannot be totally sure, but I believe you are referring to the retention pond located on the back side entrance to the Augusta Mall. It is just across from a daycare center, which could raise other questions, but we'll leave that for another time.

If you are referring to the retention pond, it is county owned and maintained; therefore, prison labor is used to accomplish this task.

etlinks
etlinks 06/18/11 - 05:03 am
First rant- you must be

First rant- you must be watching a different US Open. One young man is playing great and 155 other golfers are pulling their hair out. It is only the longest Open course in history. 4th,8th & 9th rant,if you are not happy here you can leave.

shelby547
shelby547 06/18/11 - 06:12 am
I get so tired of hearing

I get so tired of hearing "disgusta." Medical students want to go to Athens for school? So basically you are saying they need to be in a young college party town to be happy? It's not that hard to move. I've lived in many different places.

I moved to Augusta 4 years ago and love it. It is one of the most easily accessible cities I've ever been to. No matter where you live, you are less than a 10 minute drive to the mall, chain restaurants, grocery stores, big box stores, dive bars, fine dining, etc. Get out and explore and find things to do and you might not complain so much.

We have great plays, great music acts. I mean if you like country Loretta Lynn in town, lets see Sugarland next week. Pretty big names if you ask me. Take a boat ride on the Augusta Canal. Rent a boat if you don't have one and split it with your friends for a day on the lake. Go to the 24 hour park in Hephzibah where you can play or fish or do about anything.

Hop on a go-kart or throw down some laser tag. We got baseball and hockey (which I can't wait to start back) There are so many different type of social, athletic, book clubs etc.

Look some stuff up to do. Make a friend.....or LEAVE!!!!

The Great Commenter
The Great Commenter 06/18/11 - 07:06 am
Actually I don't think

Actually I don't think Augusta is "uncool". I lived in Charleston for many years and always thought that was a cool city. I'm from the Los Angeles area which is supposed to be cool I guess. It's different I'll tell you that much. All I know is that the green peanuts I get in Charleston put the ones here to shame. If someone could tell me where I could get some really GOOD boiled peanuts I would think Augusta was the coolest city in the nation.
Lil help folks! I'm serious.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 06/18/11 - 08:34 am
I think prisoners (and for

I think prisoners (and for that matter people doing community service) ought to keep all roads and yes even private property clean. After all it's private citizens who pay the taxes to feed and house those convicted. At least we could get a little labor out of the deal.

daphne3520
daphne3520 06/18/11 - 09:29 am
Rant # 3: You are correct,

Rant # 3: You are correct, but re,e,ber, you ARE South of Maryland!

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/18/11 - 09:40 am
I thought I had screened my

I thought I had screened my computer neighbors pretty well here at the library before I picked one (because you're stuck with them until they leave, due to the way the system is set up), but the guy didn't start audibly chewing and popping his gum until after I signed in. A grown man. Good grief. Now I'm stuck listening to this until he leaves since nobody is doing anything about it and even my earphones aren't shutting the racket out. I tried playing some music on the earphones, but even that didn't cover it. The rules are common knowledge and posted at the desk, but apparently the rules aren't for him. No gum allowed!

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 06/18/11 - 10:20 am
As mentioned in R&R before, a

As mentioned in R&R before, a goodly number of drivers in th CSRA are NOT from the region; something of an obvious statement when referring to an Interstate highway. Point being, the local custom of continually yielding the right-of-way is unexpected and potentially dangerous. Cops ticketing and red-light cams could do a lot to address this problem.

follower 06/18/11 - 12:29 pm
Retired, that's the best post

Retired, that's the best post I've read in a while. And Thank You for your service. Glad you left off any negatives. Too nice a day for debating.

allhans
allhans 06/18/11 - 03:14 pm
daphne3520. South of

daphne3520. South of Maryland? I don't get your intent, but Maryland is considered in the South, as in :south of the Mason- Dixon" line. Perhaps I misunderstood your comment.

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 06/18/11 - 03:50 pm
Maryland may be techincally

Maryland may be techincally geographically in the South, but it is hardly Culturally part of The South

BevBoudreaux
BevBoudreaux 06/18/11 - 03:57 pm
I was not aware they are

I was not aware they are building a medical school in Athens. That is not good news for MCG and Augusta.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/18/11 - 06:27 pm
I have to agree with

I have to agree with Retired..we are an active duty military family and we love this area. It is about as close to being home as we can get without being home. The economy here is better than either our hometown or the last duty station, utilities are cheaper, housing is cheaper (for MORE square footage at that) and we have all the amenities we need close by.
We love the canal tow path, Diamond Lakes park, the SC Greenway and the Columbia County ampitheaters walking paths for free things to do.
The music scene here is great...we like all kinds of different music and we can find most of it here. The ocean, Atlanta, Savannah, or Columbia are all just a few hours drive away- great places to go for daytrips if you want to.
One of the things we like most about this area is that unlike our last duty station, there is more than one way to get to just about anywhere in this city.
We move in a year and half and Im for sure going to miss the Southern hospitality that we have experienced here in Ga.
It seems to me that people who have nothing good to say really havent gotten out to explore the area or they have nothing to compare Augusta to. My hometown has 65 murders a year with the same population as here. Many of them go unsolved.
People complain about public safety here, but from what I have seen and experienced, the folks here working in these fields do an awesome job.
If my asthma was more agreeable with this area, I would love to come back here when we are retired....and who knows maybe we still will. Ive learned how to keep it under control most of the time.

commonsense09
commonsense09 06/18/11 - 08:52 pm
I moved here three years ago,

I moved here three years ago, and while it's not perfect, there are lots of good things about Augusta. It's a free country. If you don't like it here you can leave. Delta is ready when you are.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/18/11 - 09:53 pm
commonsense09. I have lived

commonsense09. I have lived here all my life. This is my home. If you are not part of the solution; you are part of the problem. If we don't address quality of life issues and crime here, we won't have to wait for Delta to take leave of this place. We'll have some undue help. I don't have to wait until every single person I know has been directly affected by crime here to know we have a problem. I LIKED it here, but I don't like criminals trampling on my and my family's rights as law-abiding citizens to peace, quiet, a reasonable sense of security and healthy living environment.

azzedine
azzedine 06/19/11 - 07:27 am
Retired, you make a great

Retired, you make a great point about the "backward" political system here in Augusta. I can't think of another explanation that's keeping Augusta from being on par (no pun intended) with cities like Charlotte, Charleston, or Nashville.

You'd think that Augusta would be growing far more rapidly than it is economically. Especially considering Atlanta is overgrown, and eventually that growth has got to make it's way down I-20. Who's trying to take advantage of it? Is anyone paying attention? Augusta is not a destination city, but it has the potential to become one. Sell quaint southern charm. Make downtown a "hip shopping district". It's the garden city for goodness sake! Where are the gardens? (Not that golf & gardens fiasco though - something else.)

Augusta needs young, creative thinkers leading the charge into the future. But instead, it's got this good ole' boy network of cronies making bad decisions and coming up with the same old crap. Augusta has far more to offer than just the masters. And if that's going to be your selling point, why not do more to capitalize on it?

Everyone in the world loves James Brown. Why isn't anyone building upon his legacy? Whatever you thought abut the man, his music lives on forever. For the life of me, I can't see why a James Brown music festival, I mean a big one - on the same level of a Bonnaroo or something similar can't be a huge revenue generator for the city. If this was done correctly, we'd have tourits visiting from all over the world! (Just keep the usual suspects from getting involved with planning the event.)

I mean seriously, look at Branson, Missouri. It was just a "hicktown" really, best known for the Hatfields & McCoys and the Beverly Hillbillies until the mid-80s when some folks got creative and turned it into a entertainment destination.

I worked for the convention bureau in Atlanta for years, I admit I was leery of the whole aqarium thing - since ATL is landlocked, I thought it made no sense. But it worked. It's been successful. Why doesn't Augusta have a zoo or something? I don't get it. There is soooo much potential here.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/19/11 - 02:50 pm
azzedine.. the thing to

azzedine.. the thing to remember about The Aquarium in Atlanta is that it was paid for 100% by Arthur Blank one of the co-founders of Home Depot. I think Augusta is missing that kind of BIg money philanthropy that make things happen. In Augusta, the expectation always seems to be that the taxpayers should always pay for these things.