Storms cause power outages across area

Severe thunderstorms rolled into the Augusta region Wednesday night, knocking out power to more than 50,000 customers and felling trees and streetlights.

Georgia Power Co. had 46,500 customers in Richmond, Columbia and McDuffie counties without power at 10:30 p.m., spokeswoman Christy Ihrig said.

Steve Chalker of Jefferson Energy Cooperative said 9,500 customers in Richmond, Columbia, Burke and McDuffie counties were without power at 10:30 p.m. He said he could not say when power would be restored.

The storms have knocked out power for nearly 3,800 SCE&G customers, according to the outage map on the company's Web site that was last updated at 10:15 p.m.

SCE&G spokesman Eric Boomhower said crews were expected to begin work on restoring power overnight.

Lt. Robbie Silas with Richmond County Emergency Management said several side streets had debris on them, and many power lines or trees were hanging low.

Silas said a tree fell and crushed a patrol car on Milledgeville Road, but the officer in the vehicle was not hurt. Emergency management officials said traffic lights were out on Washington Road, as well as on U.S. Highway 25 southbound from Tobacco Road.

Columbia County Emergency and Operations reported multiple power outages, downed trees and transformers, and small fires caused by the storms.

Deputy Director Rusty Welsh said reports included power outages on Louisville Road near Lanette Lane and in Appling, Spring Lakes and Grovetown, as well as trees down on Gibbs Road in Evans and in the Pleasant Run subdivision.

Staff Writers Bianca Cain, Susan McCord and Bill Norton contributed to this article.

mromaner
mromaner 06/15/11 - 10:03 pm
Trees down: One tree is down

Trees down: One tree is down on Walton Way just East of Walton Way Extension. The road is blocked. Another tree is down on E. Shoreline Dr. The road is only partly blocked.

OJP
OJP 06/15/11 - 10:19 pm
Traffic lights are physically

Traffic lights are physically down at Fury's Ferry and Baston.

CabisKhan
CabisKhan 06/15/11 - 10:26 pm
Tree on p/u truck on Glenn

Tree on p/u truck on Glenn Ave. and large tree down on Central brushing against a house. Power here but 1 block north onwards black as can be. 2 french windows on the ground here, 2 scared cats, and one grateful human.

TheArmyWife
TheArmyWife 06/15/11 - 10:32 pm
My flag flew off, our porch

My flag flew off, our porch rockers went flying here on post. Be still, my heart, too much excitement! Hope everyone is safe and well, good night Augusta!

Taylor B
Taylor B 06/15/11 - 10:45 pm
Sitting in South Augusta, in

Sitting in South Augusta, in the dark

dsodomka
dsodomka 06/15/11 - 10:55 pm
Neighborhoods along Wheeler

Neighborhoods along Wheeler Road from Walton Way Ext to at least Aumond Road are without power. It's a good time to open a bottle of wine.

topdawgs1576
topdawgs1576 06/15/11 - 11:16 pm
Well don't feel bad, out here

Well don't feel bad, out here past windmill plantation, we are sitting in the dark as well!! Have been for over 2 hours......so much for studying for my finals for tomorrow!

OhWell
OhWell 06/15/11 - 11:20 pm
I live on McDowell and a tree

I live on McDowell and a tree fell on my neighbors car and it is blocking the road. I call 706 821 1080 and it took over 1.5 hours to get through. All of the neighbors had been in the street because we were worried about traffic because the visability was very bad. When I finally got someone on the line she very rudely told me that they new about all of the trees down in the area. I told her I did not believe she new about this one because we all came out as soon as it happened and nobody could get through. She then said GA Power is out working and I tried to tell her we had lights that was not our problem we were worried about safety and traffic and she would not listen. This is very dissapointing that we have people who are supposed to be trained to handle emergency calls that act in this way.

tusmooth1
tusmooth1 06/15/11 - 11:24 pm
I wish they would hurry up

I wish they would hurry up because its so dog gone hot.....ughhhhhhhh!

Sweet son
Sweet son 06/16/11 - 01:23 am
Some of you guys are a bunch

Some of you guys are a bunch of cry babies! At least you are still alive and breathing so that you can grumble! Be thankful! I changed the right word to grumble cause Sean would send me an adverse warning if you get my drift!

Dixieman
Dixieman 06/16/11 - 01:44 am
Power back on in Watervale

Power back on in Watervale 12:45 a.m.

habersham100
habersham100 06/16/11 - 03:15 am
Our section of Highland Park

Our section of Highland Park escaped major damage. We didn't lose power and had no damage from fallen trees. We are blessed. Our heart goes out to those who had problems... God bless...

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/16/11 - 05:53 am
My power came back on at

My power came back on at 3:30. but my bedside clock said 5:30. I got up and had a cup of coffee before I found out the real time.

krystal_mueller
krystal_mueller 06/16/11 - 06:35 am
i live across from Bobs

i live across from Bobs Tropical Fish..... i lost power for maybe 15 seconds and that was it, we had power all night

Unbelievable
Unbelievable 06/16/11 - 07:16 am
Lost power and never got it

Lost power and never got it back. Candle light shower, not as romantic as it sounds. Luckily the hot water was only semi-cold this morning. I need to move to a better neighborhood so GaPower will get the power back on faster.... :)

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 06/16/11 - 08:06 am
I am not a weather person,

I am not a weather person, however; I do NOT understand how we can get such a STORM, with very little or NO warning through out the day. You would think with all the technology out there, it would have mentioned something. Not just a 10 percent chance then turn into 100 percent in 5 minutes.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 06/16/11 - 08:05 am
Also, I heard on the police

Also, I heard on the police scanner there were DEAD BIRDS, and should they pick them up. Well how many dead birds 2 or 100? help me out here Chronicle.

curly123053
curly123053 06/16/11 - 08:05 am
Here in my neighborhood the

Here in my neighborhood the power kept flickering a half hour before the storm got here in S. Aiken. That told me other places were getting it, but when it got here it was the most intense lightning we had seen in a while. Even my daughter told me that when she was driving home from church from New Ellenton she felt like she was driving under a funnel cloud at one point. This morning every trash roll cart lid was hanging open along my road and the trash truck has not been here yet, as if the winds pulled them open last night. Kinda weird.

curly123053
curly123053 06/16/11 - 08:08 am
@Richmond County Voter, I was

@Richmond County Voter, I was seeing the severe thunderstorm warning a good 15 to 20 minutes before my lights started flickering.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 06/16/11 - 08:16 am
I live in Hephzibah, near 19

I live in Hephzibah, near 19 Fire Station. It seemed like we were going to get a tremendous amount of rain, we got lots of wind (downed limbs). Then the sky just lit up with something like lightening everywhere for a long time. It was weird because this lightening had no thunder or streaks. It look like fireworks going off instead. I do NOT recall ever having this much lightening without thunder in my neighborhood before. The weather sure is different than it used to be. Or was that HEAT LIGHTENING? OR SOMETHING ELSE. With such a terriffic storm, you would think we would get tons of rain with it. Got 0.14 in. What is that? We were surrounded by RED on the RADAR.

blaze166
blaze166 06/16/11 - 08:15 am
I have to say, this storm was

I have to say, this storm was different. It looked like a sandstorm. Power went out around 9:30pm in the town of Hephzibah, came back on around 2:40am. This morning, tree limbs and power lines down. I don't mind the clean up. I Thank God we are still here....

KSL
KSL 06/16/11 - 08:15 am
We have the code red warning

We have the code red warning in Aiken County. I got multiple phone calls (cell and home) about the storm well before it hit.

Richmnd Cty Votr
Richmnd Cty Votr 06/16/11 - 08:27 am
I got that warning, too. Its

I got that warning, too. Its just in the morning or afternoon, there was NO MENTION at all we could be hit with something so violent. Its like the storm came out of LEFT FIELD.

curly123053
curly123053 06/16/11 - 08:27 am
I have the Code Red alert too

I have the Code Red alert too and my cell phone gets a recorded message when my zip code area is under a severe weather alert. It's like having a weather alert radio. I subscribed for this service through Aiken County Government's website and it's free. So far it has worked great.

2 B just me1
2 B just me1 06/16/11 - 09:46 am
Pop up thunder storms is

Pop up thunder storms is nothing new to this area. Maybe you just have not been in the path of it before. My Daddy was a Georgia Power linesman when I was young and this happened all the time and nothing has changed. I pray for all linesman now knowing what my Daddy had to do plus working for days with no rest just so people had power as fast as possible. Back then they really had to work hard because it was all man power and muscles and no switches or computer operated systems like today. He would be out in the weather fixing what needed to be fixed. Thanks to all the POWER< PHONE< CABLE people that keep me warm in winter and cool in the summer plus keeping my communication up and running...thanks again and GOD BLESS YOU! Just know I care about you and stay safe. Most all local GPC employees know the true legend of his time "George".

TrukinRanger
TrukinRanger 06/16/11 - 10:23 am
sweet son... lol.. so you get

sweet son... lol.. so you get those nice little emails from him too....

fbraxto
fbraxto 06/16/11 - 10:26 am
If I may say something, we

If I may say something, we are all blessed to be alive. Passion goes out too our experience people who have lived through many things, also to those who need electricity to live.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/16/11 - 11:49 am
I'm very thankful. The lights

I'm very thankful. The lights only flickered here, the power never went out completely, and the greatest number of branches that split from any of our trees were small and from a tree that tends to splinter if you sneeze at it anyway, so just had to pick up a little litter of branches around the yard and tidy it up a bit. It is very nice to have a cool, breezy morning with the clearest air (of pollen and smoke) we have had in weeks!

BombquishaDavis
BombquishaDavis 06/16/11 - 01:02 pm
That storm came so fast, that

That storm came so fast, that we didn't have time to get home. Was at the corner of Lumpkin and Peach Orchard when lightning struck a transformer in front of CVS. Debris was flying everywhere, dust flying.....the lights tried to come back and then BOOM! Sparks flew everywhere and the street went dark. It took a grand total of 2 minutes for that storm to overtake us on the road.....

cpadgettmorris
cpadgettmorris 06/16/11 - 02:10 pm
We live in a community out

We live in a community out off Tobacco Rd. Our power lines are all underground thankfully. I saw the warning come across the TV screen about 15 mins before the storm hit. Very shortly afterward, we heard loud rumblings outside, that didn't sound anything at all like thunder. The wind had suddenly started blowing really really hard. The sky was lighting up in crazy ways, but very little thunder accompanied the light show. The lights flickered a few times... and then all was dark. The rain came down really hard for a little while, but it was the wind that was truly unbelievable. Thankfully we keep a good stock of candles, so we lite up the house. Once the rain slacked off, we still were having wind gust, and the lightning show in the sky. We literally watched as shingles blew off our roof and the roofs of our neighbors. Trampolines blew over peoples fences, all of our outside furniture ended up in our pool. All got very quite for about 10 minutes, and then the wind started up again, but thankfully not as hard as before. And yes, we were hot just like the rest of you. We just opened up the doors and windows and let the breeze blow through to cool off the house. Georgia Power had their hands full. It's not like they can throw up their hand and say "Stop Storm you are inconveniencing people"! And it may be annoying, but their employees are people just like you and I, many of whom have already worked a long day out in the heat of summer. And now they have to physically go out in that mess to get things going for the rest of us, leaving their families to deal with whatever they have going on at their own homes. Instead of whining and being selfish, we should be thankful that they take their jobs seriously. I send a BIG thank you too all of the utility companies, along with fire, police and other emergency service workers. It really looked pretty bad out there for a while, so I agree with some of the other folks on here... we should all be thankful that we are alive, well and still have a place to call home. There may be others out there who don't.