Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

N.Y. REP. Anthony Weiner lies to the public, his constituents, so what does a poll of his district say? More approve him now than earlier. With voters this stupid, no wonder we elect corruption, and no wonder we're on the skids as a nation.

AUGUSTA NEEDS A mayor like Lewis "Pop" Newman again. He knew how to get stuff done and wasn't afraid to tell it like it is. Augusta needs a strong leader like him again.

THIS IS A RAVE to Alabama Gov. Robert Bentley for signing the new illegal-immigration law. If more states would take note from Alabama and Arizona, maybe our economy wouldn't be in the mess it is today. Every construction site I have seen in the past four years have been manned by Mexicans. My son would go from site to site asking for work but would get turned down ... all the workers were Mexican. I don't begrudge anyone from making a better life for them self, but enough is enough. Let our guys have some of those jobs.

TO THE "GENIUS" on the motorcycle frantically puffing on a cigarette while stopped at the Gate 1 traffic light on Gordon Highway eastbound yesterday. Please take a moment to stomp out your burning butt before taking off on the green light instead of flicking it. Haven't you heard about the wildfires consuming Arizona? We had brush fires here recently on Bobby Jones Expressway ... was that your doing?

I LIVE IN SOUTH Augusta, off Windsor Spring Road (for almost 30 years), and have not smelled anything offensive.

I AM OF THE OPINION that the GreenJackets stadium should stay where it is and some improvements are made to it such as a covered concession area. Find another way to "revitalize" downtown.

I CANNOT BELIEVE they are bringing this stadium issue up again. Isn't the city in the hole and having to cut spending and lay off workers? How much are we going to have to pay for this white elephant on Reynolds Street? Everything the government has built down there has been a complete flop, and so will this.

WOULD SOMEBODY clean up the area of Wrightsboro Road and Bobby Jones Expressway and cut some of the weeds and pull some of the weeds out of the middle of the sidewalks and the medians? Please.

OBAMA'S IDEA TO train people for manufacturing jobs would be great, except for one thing. I believe there will be a catch to it and that is, they'll have to join a union.

OBAMA HAS STOPPED receiving daily economic briefings. And why not? He never understood them anyway.

Tell us what you think
usafvet
usafvet 06/14/11 - 06:32 am
OBAMA HAS STOPPED receiving

Then, I say, he should stop attending any meeting, as he doesn't understand anything. If he is to pass any intelligence out, he should be conversing with the rock garden, but of course the rocks are already the smarter of the two.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 08:23 am
Clean up the roads is a great

Clean up the roads is a great idea for teens this summer....why not get them busy & pay them a few bucks....

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 08:26 am
I wish Gov.Perry & Gov.

I wish Gov.Perry & Gov. Christie had been in the debate last night....we need some sparks & fireworks. :)

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 09:31 am
I can not find anything in

I can not find anything in today's paper about the Republican Debate. Nor did I see anything on CBS, NBC, ABC, or Fox 54. Why not?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/11 - 09:41 am
AutumnLeaves, didn't you

AutumnLeaves, didn't you hear? It was cancelled. They had a leak in the building and rain was leaking in.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/14/11 - 09:47 am
Leaves...Look at the AJC

Leaves...Look at the AJC today......front page news.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/14/11 - 12:27 pm
#2 I heard he was the one

#2 I heard he was the one responsible for the abandoned parking deck downtown and the parking pits on BRoad Street. Does Augusta really need more bright ideas like those? I think not.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 12:34 pm
Thanks for the link seenitB4,

Thanks for the link seenitB4, but I'd seen that before. What I want to see is the actual debate. Is that true Riverman1, if so, when is it re-scheduled, if not, anyone know a way I can pull up the debate online?

Riverman1
Riverman1 06/14/11 - 12:50 pm
AutumnLeaves, I was joking

AutumnLeaves, I was joking with you. I watched it on CNN. They all did well. Cain, again, too. I don't know if you can get it online.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 01:24 pm
Thanks Riverman1. It's a

Thanks Riverman1. It's a shame it wasn't carried on the regular stations here. Not everyone can afford cable.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/14/11 - 01:25 pm
Okay, why is this guy at the

Okay, why is this guy at the computer sounding like he has Tourette's syndrome? It is a library, remember, quiet?

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/14/11 - 03:19 pm
"Every construction site I

"Every construction site I have seen in the past four years have been manned by Mexicans."

Unless you stopped and asked each of them for identification, you're making a big assumption that they are here illegally. Secondly, when we built our house, the contractor used a framing crew of legal Mexican workers and I'm telling you, I never saw anyone work harder or longer. Other crews stood around BSing, drinking coffee, disappearing at lunch and never coming back or would disappear from the site for days at a time. These guys went full-speed, sun up to sun down, in 100 degree heat, with only a quick lunch break on the site AND did a slam-up job to boot. I would hire that crew again in a heartbeat!

Regarding the weeds, as my daddy would say, "your arms and legs don't look broken to me". If they bother you, get a volunteer crew together and take care of the problem. In case you haven't heard, everyone is trying to do more with less, that includes the departments that keep the sidewalks and median clear of weeds.

Cadence
Cadence 06/14/11 - 05:33 pm
I'm not being smart alecky at

I'm not being smart alecky at all, but maybe some teen groups or prisoners or boy scouts could do some cleaning up for us. I know the city should be doing it but if they can't or won't, maybe we should do it. Um, just not me.

Ex-superintendent to write of miraculous recovery

Taking his doctor's advice, former Richmond County school superintendent Frank Roberson has nearly finished writing a 150-page book about his remarkable recovery from brain trauma.