Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

Weirdo Rep. Weiner claims he "takes full responsibility" for his actions. That lying scam was invented by John F. Kennedy. First you screw up big time. Then you say you "accept full responsibility." Then you accept no punishment, and you don't do one darned thing to fix your screwup, and you hope your guilt gets hidden in your fraudulent words.

Dear Dr. Azziz, Even I (a native Augustan!) know cliches aren't "cool," but I just have to tell you this: "We got along without you before we met you - and Delta's ready when you are!"

A rave to Deputy Sheriff Mike Woodard for finding my pocketbook on Sunday . They got all the money and put my pocketbook in the Dumpster. Deputy Woodard found my pocketbook in less than 45 minutes and I really appreciate what he did and I thank him so much.

Leave the baseball stadium where it is and just make improvements because it'd be cheaper to improve the one that's already there and make repairs to it and don't relocate. Leave it where it already is.

Comcast used to have a channel where they had the weather and other things on, then they took it off. Now they got a light bulb on a couple of channels where it's supposed to give you the temperature and the time. For three or four days the time has been 4 o'clock in the morning and the temperature has been 84. And they have not changed it I know in three or four days. At least they could give us a channel with the time and temperature on it because we're old and we can't get up and run somewhere in another room to find out what time it is.

It's a shame that our police department cannot go after the people who stole the money out of the safe down at the county office, taxpayers' money. But yet, now, they can harass two people who steal pennies from a fountain. Dry fountain at that. Something's wrong with this town. We need a new sheriff in Richmond County. Need a new police department, along with a new mayor, new administrator and possibly a new commission.

This is a rant to all the people that park on the grass at Patriots Park in spite of the signs telling you not to. Come on Columbia County, ticket those arrogant, lazy slobs who think those signs don't apply to them.

I've lived in the vicinity of Windsor Spring Road and Meadowbrook Drive for 35 years now and during that time I have smelled some stinky smells, but nothing like this past week. The best way to describe it is "diarrhea". My nose can tolerate a lot, but this is too extreme.

About the police arresting those two stealing pennies. Crime is crime. Just like sin is sin. They knew they were wrong when they took the pennies. They should have been arrested and the police did a good job taking care of everything else.

Tell us what you think
Emerydan
Emerydan 06/10/11 - 02:20 am
All I can say is I am glad I

All I can say is I am glad I don't live in south Augusta. It sounds like they have a real stinky situation out there. Maybe something died out there and this oppressive heat is magnifying the odor.

Just My Opinion
Just My Opinion 06/10/11 - 04:45 am
You know, at first I thought

You know, at first I thought it was great that Dr. Azziz got the job at MCG and is shaking the bushes to improve things over there. But, lately, I've been getting the feeling that he's not coming across too well with Augustans, with the things he's said and done. Some doctors/high administrators lose touch with the "little people" and worry more about "their own people" than they do the public. Maybe he needs to take a step back and rethink how he handles his public image.

dougk
dougk 06/10/11 - 05:39 am
Folks, check with your

Folks, check with your elderly parents/grandparents today to see if they need a clock in their TV room.....and maybe even a wireless thermometer. I think it would take about $20 to make them happy and also get Comcast off the hook.

rhs931
rhs931 06/10/11 - 07:10 am
New baseball stadium? I think

New baseball stadium? I think not. We have one now that is cpmfortable, needs alittle updating, and we are ready to go.
The politicians in this town are going to be happy intill they push this stadium down our throats, whether we need it or not. All this crap about bringing back downtown Augusta, hogwash. The riverwalk is not kept clean, and there are to many panhandlers down there. For one I am very uncomfortible going downtown.

seenitB4
seenitB4 06/10/11 - 08:33 am
Maybe if S Augusta had a

Maybe if S Augusta had a beeeg ballpark on Windsor Spring & Meadowbrook they would fix the smell problem......hey S Augusta ....why not demand this?? See your tax$$$ at work.

Rather
Rather 06/10/11 - 09:17 am
Our Richmond County Sheriff,

Our Richmond County Sheriff, Ron Strength is the best we could possibly have. So far as I am concerned, the people who don't like him are likely the ones he has caught breaking the law.

Can I just throw $2.00 in the darn fountain so we can all knock off the waste of time fussing abut the "theft of the century"? Good grief, with the problems the country, states, counties, cities; along with 3 wars, fires, floods, nuclear meltdowns, earthquakes, and Weiner whistles on cell phones; can't we just drop this issue?

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 06/10/11 - 09:54 am
"It's a shame that our police

"It's a shame that our police department cannot go after the people who stole the money out of the safe down at the county office, taxpayers' money."

The Brinks truck came to get that money, just before it was left in an open safe someone asked TAX USERS to close which TAX USERS refused to do. TAX USERS would not let the Brinks truck get the money, why won’t the TAX USERS allow the GBI to investigate why TAX USERS would not allow the Brinks truck to pick up the money?

The only time the Brinks truck was not allowed to pick up the money is the only time the money disappeared... Coincidence?

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 12:44 pm
OK, so someone has diarrhea

OK, so someone has diarrhea in south Augusta.

allhans
allhans 06/10/11 - 12:44 pm
If Brinks wasn't allowed to

If Brinks wasn't allowed to pick the money up, somebody, a live body, had to deliver the message. SO who was it? Has he or she been identified by the Brinks driver and questioned? That person has to know the name of the last person to see the money.

allhans
allhans 06/10/11 - 12:45 pm
Does the odor have something

Does the odor have something to do with the problems at the water works?

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 06/10/11 - 03:43 pm
I find it slighly humourous

I find it slighly humourous when people complain about local politicians, i.e. Mr. Copenhaver. The fact of the matter is that there were two other candidates who had very good plans to change a lot of things that we complain about in our fair city, yet THE PEOPLE reelected him. If you want a better mayor, don't vote for Copenhaver again.

As far as Sheriff Strength goes, since he has been sheriff, the deputies seem to take their job a little more serious. However, I have noticed that they seem to be a little more reactivetowards crime. When I went to vote in 2008, I noticed that Sheriff Strength was running unopposed. If you feel that there needs to be a new sheriff, nominate someone to run against him.

The Southside has always had an issue with the various dregs of society, but there are more outstanding citizens there than are given credit for. Please do not lump us all in together.

ECDanes
ECDanes 06/10/11 - 04:40 pm
insightful comment

insightful comment Paulbaughman. I agree, people in Augusta like to complain about the politicians but the funny thing is they keep reelecting them. About Deke, he is a good cheerleader, but not such a great "leader". Lori Davis was running in that election and had a lot of great ideas but didn't have the money or the name recognition of Deke, and when it all comes down to it, money and name recognition is what matters. But Augusta could do much worse than Deke. He seems to be a step up from what Augusta is used to having for mayors. About the southside stink. I have always heard that part of town has a foul odor at times and have smelled it when having to go to the airport. BUT this seems to be out of the ordinary from what these folks are saying. This is like the 5th rant about a fecal odor in south Augusta, so there is obviously something going on.

nancynurse
nancynurse 06/10/11 - 04:46 pm
To the "genius" on the

To the "genius" on the motorcycle frantically puffing a cigarette while stopped at the Gate 1 traffic light on Gordon Hwy eastbound, please take a moment to stomp out your butt instead of flicking randomly when the light changes. In case you haven't noticed, it is really dry here...haven't you heard about the wildfires burning up Arizona? It could happen here too! There were brush fires on Bobby Jones a couple weeks ago. Did you cause that?

happychimer
happychimer 06/10/11 - 07:21 pm
Let's see if AC reports that

Let's see if AC reports that Columbia County teen charged in fatal accident on Old Belair Lane.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/11/11 - 12:08 am
To ranter number 1: Please go

To ranter number 1: Please go re-read the history of the of Bay of Pigs. That really was not Kennedy's fault at all.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 06/11/11 - 01:34 am
I know more about the

I know more about the Kennedys then you'll ever know. My library is filled with dozens of Kennedy bios, everyone from Joe Sr. to JFK Jr to Ethel Kennedy. Plus I've read the Warren Report. Plus I own 5 pretty comprehensive Kennedy documentaries. I kinda know exactly what I'm talking about.

DaVitte slaying suspect still in Florida

A month after the slaying of 55-year-old Bill DaVitte, suspect Daniel Nelson Robinson, 21, remains in a Jacksonville, Fla., detention facility.