Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

Don't the police have anything else to do but arrest two individuals for stealing pennies from the fountain at Surrey Center shopping plaza? Why can't they concentrate their efforts in going after the many real criminals that roam our streets?

What happened to the money missing from the tax office? Why was it hushed up so quickly , and why doesn't the D.A.'s office go after those responsible? This has "inside" all over it.

A rave for the idea to drug test welfare recipients. They should also include people on Section 8. If they refuse, cut them off.

I submitted an editorial about a month ago about the geese on Boy Scout Road by the restaurant and apartments. I asked for the birds to be moved to the river to live with the lone goose that was already there. They get run over every day because people just speed through and don't pay attention. Well , I came through there this morning, and it was the saddest thing I ever saw. A baby goose had been run over, and its mother was on the side of the road, by herself, looking for her baby. ... Please , animal control, take them to the river and stop this.

A special thanks to the customer and the manager at Family Dollar on Central Ave­nue who paid for my groceries and replaced my sun shades that the cashier had mistakenly given to the customer checked out ahead of me. Some day, someone else will be able to return the favors to each of you. God bless both of you.

As a retiree and a person who doesn't believe in political affiliations, I would just like to say one thing to the Re­pub­licans who keep calling So­cial Security and Medicare entitlements. I paid into So­cial Security and I paid into Med­i­care and I'm still paying into Med­icare. So I don't feel like it's an entitlement to me. I paid for it and I'm still paying for it.

Y'all might as well quit complaining about the bad air in south Augusta because it's here to stay. You might as well do what I did and move to Columbia County. It's clean up here.

I read where Richmond County issued over 100 tickets over the Memorial Day weekend. South Carolina could issue 100 in one day on the Aiken-Augusta Highway if they would just do it.

A G-8 conference was held last week, and there were no anarchists looting, protesting and condemning capitalism. What gives?

The big media keeps pushing Romney for GOP p residential nominee because the media knows what a socialist-
disguised-as-conse rvative Rom­ney is. Anybody who could be elected as g overnor in Massachusetts is a proven rabid, nutso left-winger.

Tell us what you think

Comments (18)

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/06/11 - 06:21 am

Geese have homing senses..it

Geese have homing senses..it would be futile to relocate them to the river because they will continue to come back to Boy Scout Road. Why is it that the wildlife must go when all it takes is people to follow speed limits and be aware of their surroundings? It is unfortunate that the baby goose got killed, but moving them to a strange location will probably kill more of them than it will save them.

copperhead
copperhead 06/06/11 - 08:27 am

The issue of the missing tax

The issue of the missing tax money was hushed BECAUSE it was an "inside" job! Ranter must be new to augusta.

copperhead
copperhead 06/06/11 - 08:30 am

EVERYBODY should be drug

EVERYBODY should be drug tested so it can be determined what freedoms each should or should not be entitled.

Rather
Rather 06/06/11 - 09:39 am

Where do you get

Where do you get "Republicans" when you talk about SS and Medicare Entitlements? This is a new issue brought about by Democratic pre 2012 Congress, Democratic Senate, and Democratic Obama. Every Republican I know, myself included, get furious with the word "Entitlement". We payed through the nose for SS and its our right and nobody better mess with me or use the "E" word.

allhans
21982
allhans 06/06/11 - 10:36 am

The retiree has no

The retiree has no idea..Republicans consider Social Security and Medicare as their right, a right they paid for and not a freebie.

The folks against the use of the word "entitlements" are Democrats who think it is welfare and Sect 8.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 06/06/11 - 12:34 pm

copperhead, I think the word

copperhead, I think the word you were looking for was "freebees" not "freedoms"

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 12:57 pm

Republicans are the ones who

Republicans are the ones who want to cut social security and medicare. Look at the speaker of the house.

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 01:16 pm

Nope, not just Republicans.

Nope, not just Republicans. This committee was appointed by Obama and was co-chaired by a Republican and a Democrat. And this is what they came up with. Note that it was released just after the election. http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/11/deficit-commission-co-chairs-...

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 01:19 pm

Good afternoon KSL

Good afternoon KSL

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 01:28 pm

I so enjoyed the pencil art.

I so enjoyed the pencil art. Thank you.

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 01:33 pm

You are welcome.

You are welcome.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 06/06/11 - 03:17 pm

Retiree, this is a spin the

Retiree, this is a spin the blame and confuse the people plot by Democrats. To be a real Republican equates to taking personal responsibility and doing one's part. Social Security and medicare are not welfare; they are mandatory retirement accounts contributed to by those who worked and paid their taxes. Career welfare programs that will cost you your social security and medicare are what the Republicans are against and want to reform. You are mad at the wrong party. Come November, make the switch and cast your vote Republican.

TNThompson..."who's going to provide for us then?" Aaa Russia and Iran, but highly unlikely we will like the provisions.

Willow Bailey
20255
Willow Bailey 06/06/11 - 02:53 pm

The Big Media, when one has

The Big Media, when one has to revert to calling people names, it generally means they have nothing valuable to contribute.

allhans
21982
allhans 06/06/11 - 06:55 pm

Nice to see that Breitbart

Nice to see that Breitbart was vindicated. He called Weiner to task for pointing the finger at him when he accused Breithart of falsifying photos, hacking, lying and a bunch of others things by the left blogosphere when it was Weiner's own doing. Weiner apologized to everyone and yes, even Breitbart .

Think the posters on here will apologize?

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 06:53 pm

Fat chance.

Fat chance.

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 06:54 pm

I don't have anything to

I don't have anything to apologize for.

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 06:55 pm

Weiner should do the right

Weiner should do the right thing and resign, but then his arrogance is getting in the way of that.

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 07:02 pm

I don't think that was

I don't think that was directed at you, HC.

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 07:02 pm

If he stays on, more could

If he stays on, more could come out. Who knows what he's been up to! We will just have to wait and see.

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 07:07 pm

KSL I just took it as

KSL I just took it as directed to all democrats on here, and I have said nothing good or bad about Weiner to apologize for.

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 07:09 pm

He's claiming he didn't

He's claiming he didn't violate his oath, which is why he isn't resigning. However, he clearly did not have his mind on his duties while on the job. And his wife his doing a Hillary, and "standing by her man."

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 07:11 pm

It shouldn't have been

It shouldn't have been directed at all Democrats, if it was. And I know you haven't said anything about him one way or another, at least not that I am aware of.

happychimer
happychimer 06/06/11 - 07:25 pm

We know someone very well who

We know someone very well who was married to a representative in another state years ago. He was caught in a sting operation with a male page in a bathroom in Washington. She stood by her husband as long as she could; then divorced him and moved back to Ga where she grew up.She later married the love of her life, and was happy till he got cancer and died. Hillary and Bill Clinton's marriage has survived in spite of his activities. They have a strange marriage, but that's them.

KSL
KSL 06/06/11 - 07:52 pm

Yes indeed. It was/is more of

Yes indeed. It was/is more of a political union than a marriage.

Judge expedites election suit

Attorneys representing Augusta's mayor and commission have until 5 p.m. April 30 to respond to the complaint which seeks an injunction and to the plaintiff's request for a three-judge panel to ...