Rants & Raves

Comments from readers:

To the ranter about Commander Sims of American Legion Post 178 wearing the American flag as a shirt. While it is true that the Flag Code states that the American flag should not be worn as an item of clothing, the shirt that Sims wore was a partial representation of the American flag. If you want to rant about the flag being mistreated, rant against those businesses that use it as a sales gimmick, those who fly it after dark without being lit and those athletes who drape it over themselves when taking their victory laps.

The Augusta Animal Control Shelter is open only from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. This is kitten and puppy season. Most of the kittens and puppies are going to be killed but they're certainly going to be more than killed if they're not available on the weekends. Most people work Monday through Friday until 5 or 6 o'clock. How can they go and adopt an animal and save a life at the shelter when the shelter's not open on the weekend?

This is a rave to the nurse in the outpatient clinic at University Hospital. Miss Alma, thank you very much for making the transition into my surgery very easy and very understanding, and thanks most of all for your beautiful smile. God bless you.

This is a rant to the quarterback of the University of South Carolina. Just a friendly reminder, young man. If you get an eighth strike against you, you might be called out.

Why do bicycles have access on roads to hold up traffic and cause accidents? Where are the minimum-speed law, turn signals, brake lights, seat belts, license plates, insurance, driver's license and other equipment vehicles they are required to have? They can just poke along in traffic taking up the whole lane and slow traffic to a crawl. You also have to be pretty stupid to get in traffic on a bike and demand rights with buses, trucks, etc. So, if they are OK to be on highways, then why not golf carts, riding lawn mowers, skateboards and wheelchairs? Oh, that would be dumb, wouldn't it?

The Supreme Court acted wisely when it upheld an Arizona law that severely penalizes businesses that knowingly hire illegal immigrants. I hope this ruling will stem the flow of illegal immigrants across our borders. The ruling should also help get other states moving in a direction to enact laws similar to the Arizona one. Let's be serious about clamping down on illegal immigration once and for all.

This is a rant about the Columbia County Commission authorizing $8,500 to examine the condition of the pond dam inside West Lake subdivision. They already paid $1 million to dredge the pond, which is essentially private because nobody can use it except the residents of West Lake. Somebody needs to answer to this particular thing. That's not right and should not be done. That's taxpayer money, and it's being used to repair a private pond.

Tell us what you think
Rather
Rather 06/04/11 - 06:42 am
To the "don't like bicycles"

To the "don't like bicycles" guy. While I am too old to ride bicycles, HANG IT ON YOUR BEAK!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/04/11 - 07:31 am
I agree - Bicycles should NOT

I agree - Bicycles should NOT be allowed on roadways exceeding 25mph in speed. It is not safe for the cyclist or the drivers or in the best interest of serving the maority of those using the roadways.

KSL
KSL 06/04/11 - 07:40 am
Bicyclists claim to have the

Bicyclists claim to have the right to the road and I guess current law gives them the right. But they don't pay for the right as bicyclists. Just yesterday there was a group riding on South Boundary in Aiken and they were quite bunched up, making me in my vehicle have to wait to pass them when it was clear. They finally lined up in single file, which I appreciated and which made it easier for me to get by them. But they didn't do it right away.

KSL
KSL 06/04/11 - 07:47 am
If bicyclists want bike

If bicyclists want bike paths, they need to ante up and not expect it gratis of the tax paying motorists.

ConcernedTaxpayer
ConcernedTaxpayer 06/04/11 - 09:29 am
They should not be allowed to

They should not be allowed to travel on roads where there is heavy traffic both ways or where there are no passing lanes. When traffic builds up behind them, they need to stop and get off the road to let the traffic pass. But a lot of them are too inconsiderate to care.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 06/04/11 - 01:28 pm
There should be bike paths

There should be bike paths for bicyclists. Sure bicyclists are legally allowed on the roads and we have to look out for them, but I personally would never be that inconsiderate to bicycle on the road unless it was the only option I had to get to work and back, or obtain my foods and goods. If I want to ride for my health, I'm not going to be sucking up gas fumes and other car pollutants and risking tangles with semi-trailer trucks and hemis or aggressive and/or impaired drivers. It really doesn't matter who has the right of way when a bicyclist and a vehicle have an accident. Everybody loses. And sometimes somebody, usually the bicyclist, loses their life. Does it really matter then, who was "right"?

KSL
KSL 06/04/11 - 02:31 pm
There should be bike paths

There should be bike paths for bicyclists if the are willing to contribute to the cost of them. People who ride horses could demand the same, non paved "side walks." Or we could go back to totally dirt roads that no one pays for.

KSL
KSL 06/04/11 - 02:37 pm
That is bike paths on certain

That is bike paths on certain designated roads, not every road. I don't think the bicyclists can or will afford the otherwise and I certainly don't think people who own cars should pay for amenities for those riding bicycles. There is not history of them paying in the past for roadways in this country even though bicycles preceded automobiles.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/04/11 - 07:57 pm
Tell me, what tax do

Tell me, what tax do motorists pay that bicyclists do not in order to use a road? Are there toll roads in GA because I sure am not aware of them. Bicyclists pay taxes just like motorists do.
Today my husband and I had to stop on N. Belair Rd and wait while a car in the outside right lane stopped until all traffic in the left lane passed so he could cut across two lanes to get into the left turn lane at Owens Road. On my way home from school the other day, a car pulled out of Morningside of Evans and cut across 2 lanes of traffic, never stopped and proceeded to pull within 2 feet of my drivers side door into my lane. I had to take evasive action or the dork would have hit my car.
So...maybe the problem is that BOTH motorists AND bicyclists need to be more considerate of each other. Fact of the matter is that bicyclists are permitted by law to be on the road, provided they follow the rules of the road. I agree many do not. Riding on the sidewalk is no safer for a bicyclists....in fact, that is the one and only time I got hit by a car. Its also technically illegal for a bicyclist to ride on the sidewalk....

Historic building on Laney campus demolished

The demolition of the 89-year-old Cauley-Wheeler building on the Lucy C. Laney High School campus is over, but the plan for a building that will act as a link to the former site and its story has ...