Rants & Raves

People nowadays just expect too much to be paid and provided for their kids. Free meals for both breakfast and lunch. Religious time among the reading/writing/arithmatic and history and foreign language lessons, etc. Sex education. Now someone wants to make it mandatory for driving lessons at schools? We should make it mandatory for parenting lessons to be given to potential parents, including important calculations to cover not only all financial basics of parenthood, but also all the areas of non-school education they are responsible for instilling in all offsprings.

Amen to the Augusta Cares rant. I had a similar situation with a ditch. They sent me a letter also informing me it was completed. It was never touched. I gave up with that bunch, but what an impressive and official looking letterhead!

This country has turned away from God. In God we trust, common sense, and our morals are all but gone, we ignore God's warnings, and say it is global warning. We accept immoral behavior as being normal so it dosen't offend someone and we are paying for this behavior dearly. READ THE BIBLE, PEOPLE.

If you want to express your views here, at least know the difference between a rant and a rave. Rants are generally negative views and a rave is something positive. Thank you.

The front page listed five things to do on Memorial Day. "Prayer" was not listed.

Rant to Augusta Airport. Why didn't you fly the flag at half-staff on Memorial Day? If the flag's too big, change it! Show respect for our fallen.

I read your rant about the swimming hole, Rock Springs. I hadn't heard that name in years. It brought back wonderful memories, since I grew up in the project on Broad Street in the '50s. It was a wonderful place to live in those days. It was a wonderful place, unlike the way it is today.

Kelsey Drive in Brynwood is a disgrace. There are a few residents who take pride in their property, but they are outnumbered by those who don't. It's obvious the city is not going to clean this street up. Also, the used car lot needs to go.

This is for the person who said they would not go back to the Dairy Queen behind Daniel Village because they had their television on Fox news. He really should watch Fox news once in a while to really get the truth and balance of what's going on. I always go to the Dairy Queen when I get my car done at Sunbelt and I'm going back next time, and I'm bringing my friends, so please, Dairy Queen, leave your television on Fox news. I'll be back.

I think our politicians owe it to this country and to the people to show some leadership instead of arguing about their differences. Why not just sit down together and work things out? All this back and forth is doing us no good. I thought our politicians should set the example.

Tell us what you think
bclicious
bclicious 06/03/11 - 12:27 am
IN RESPONSE TO: "Now someone

IN RESPONSE TO:
"Now someone wants to make it mandatory for driving lessons at schools?"

This is the first I have heard of that, but I think that it is a great idea to bring driver's education back to public schools. At one point and time, driver's education was a class offered by public schools; however, because of funding and liability, the class was removed.

I think that we need to spend more time in public schools requiring classes that teach everyday life skills. I would like to see classes that teach kids how to balance a checkbook, drive a car, understand personal credit, how to make a household budget, how to make a resume, how to act during a job interview, etc.

I think that too often, we assume that all kids are going to college or vocational school. Some kids will go directly into the job market out of high school, and will therefore immediately need these types of skills. For those kids who do opt to go to college, or vocational school, they will need these skills eventually. So; why not start when these kids are still somewhat impressionable?

Also, when speaking directly about driving education; isn't there a big push right now to reduce the deaths related to teen driving. I could be mistaken, but I think driver's education would be a good step in the right direction.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/03/11 - 01:15 am
Drivers Education would be

Drivers Education would be good for the entire community in the long run, may save lives and would be an excellent elective course.

Well, lets see, Fox News took the top 12 spots and their shows are watched more than ALL of the others combined - this according to the Huffington Post and you can't get more liberal than that....I watch Fox, CNN, and yes, even MSNBC and by far, Fox tells both sides of the story and allows for both view points to be voiced. Either way, DQ and other smart business owners are catering to the majority, as it should be.

YankeeInvasion
YankeeInvasion 06/03/11 - 02:48 am
Wow, you guys don't have

Wow, you guys don't have drivers ed in schools yet? Up North we had it back in the 1980s. What are you all waiting for, someone to invent the wheel?

bclicious
bclicious 06/03/11 - 03:12 am
YankeeInvasion, I think you

YankeeInvasion,

I think you misunderstand. We once had drivers education, but the schools in Georgia did away with this program during the early 90's due to funding and liability.

But yes; we should bring it back.

bclicious
bclicious 06/03/11 - 03:13 am
The point I was trying to

The point I was trying to make was for schools to require or at least offer kids classes related to required REALWORLD skills.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/03/11 - 03:14 am
Yes Yankee, we had drivers ed

Yes Yankee, we had drivers ed in the 80's as the above comments stated. However, do to budget cuts, (same as up north), most school districts have deleted this as an elective.

So, our great President declared today he would raise taxes as part of any plan moving forward, on that their would be no comprimise. This administration can't even put forth a plan to cut spending, can't even get the democrats to support his few solutions, will not even consider major spending cuts, even back to the levels where it was when he took office prior to increasing spending by over 25% because he prefers to tax and spend as if that will solve anything.

We need to reduce ALL spending below the levels prior to this administration. We need to greatly reduce all social programs and cut ALL non-essential spending such as public broadcasting, the arts, private grants, medicare for non-essential procedures such as erectile dysfunction and the billions of other tax dollars wasted each year prior to any considertaion of raising taxes a single penny.

Tax and Spend Liberals as well as those who beleive in wasting our money in the Republican party NEED TO BE REMOVED FROM OFFICE, period.

fftaz71
fftaz71 06/03/11 - 06:07 am
YankeeInvasion: not sure

YankeeInvasion: not sure where you are from, but where I grew up they phased out drivers ed in school back in the 80s...along with home ec. They dumped both of these the year before I could take them...go figure. I had been looking forward to taking them.

Techfan
Techfan 06/03/11 - 06:12 am
Faux News gives both sides of

Faux News gives both sides of issues. The right wing, and the far right wing.

dougk
dougk 06/03/11 - 07:48 am
Yankee, take it from a fellow

Yankee, take it from a fellow Yankee...driver's ed was largely phased out in Yankeeland, too, for same reasons it was around here. But it is something that should come back....IMHO.

mc66
mc66 06/03/11 - 08:52 am
I agree with bclicious, I

I agree with bclicious, I remember taking economics in what was then Junior High. We had imaginary jobs and imaginary households and a checkbook! We had to pay our bills and balance our checkbooks. It was a fun class but it also prepared us for real life.

mc66
mc66 06/03/11 - 08:54 am
And my daughter was taught

And my daughter was taught how to write a resume and how to act in an interview in High School. It was part of her Agriculture/Business class.

WW1949
WW1949 06/03/11 - 09:39 am
I like the DQ at DV and

I like the DQ at DV and Washington Rd. I also like Fox news.

happychimer
happychimer 06/03/11 - 10:06 am
Fox news is biased. Sure they

Fox news is biased. Sure they have democrats as guests, but fox won't let them finish a sentence. fox has not learned that it is rude to interrupt someone in the middle of a sentence. They bark a lot. I can do without all the loud mouths. I do like Dairy Queen, but if a tv is loud, I will take my business elsewhere.

Boogaloo
Boogaloo 06/03/11 - 10:46 am
The Bible and Fox news, what

The Bible and Fox news, what more do you need? Well, maybe a double cheeseburger with bacon, large fries and a chocolate shake. Don't worry, all of it is very healthy for you.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 06/03/11 - 11:58 am
Another idea would be for

Another idea would be for parents to take the responsibility of raising their own children, instead of expecting the government or church to do it for them. As I tell mine, if you didn't need your parents love and instruction, God wouldn't have given us to you!

Adder
Adder 06/03/11 - 12:11 pm
When everybody has a college

When everybody has a college education,who is going to make my cheeseburger. That's what I want to know.

Willow Bailey
20619
Willow Bailey 06/03/11 - 12:49 pm
The graduates who can't get a

The graduates who can't get a job in this economy. I talk with several a day.

allhans
allhans 06/03/11 - 12:52 pm
Seems to me that would make

Seems to me that would make an education have little value.

allhans
allhans 06/03/11 - 12:54 pm
Obama sent Biden to deal with

Obama sent Biden to deal with Republicans on budget matters.
Enough said.

YankeeInvasion
YankeeInvasion 06/03/11 - 12:57 pm
Well, not every school in

Well, not every school in Yankeeland has phased out drivers ed. My sister's daughter is still going to the HS I went to in the 80's, and she'll take drivers ed next year. But then again, they have only a couple sports programs. So I guess you have to choose between what is more important.

tgentry
tgentry 06/03/11 - 03:31 pm
I missed the Rant for Augusta

I missed the Rant for Augusta Cares. I can only tell you this. I have a street drain in front of my house. The drain has not been cleaned in over 2 years that I know of. I called the Augusta Cares people the First year we moved into this house. I explained the odor is so strong I cant even sit on my porch. They said they would get it cleaned. A year later someone had called me saying it was cleaned out. I told her if it was they left a whole lot of garbage in there and it still stinks. She said oh and stated she would check into it. I too received a letter saying the job had been done. To this day it has not. Unfortunately I live in Matt (No show don't care) Aikens district so this will never be taken care of.

CorporalGripweed
CorporalGripweed 06/03/11 - 04:51 pm
To happy and others, at least

To happy and others, at least Fox will let a liberal on the show. When was the last time you saw a true conservative on CNN,MSNBC, et al, that isn't ridiculed or made fun of much less allowed to answer ANY questions. Oh my bad. I forgot. Any questioning of how this administration is running this country into the ground is obviously racist, right?

happychimer
happychimer 06/03/11 - 08:32 pm
Really? Do not insult me by

Really? Do not insult me by bringing race into this.

happychimer
happychimer 06/03/11 - 08:33 pm
And let's get something

And let's get something straight. I am not going to argue politics with you.You should know that by now.

justthefacts
justthefacts 06/03/11 - 09:36 pm
You're right Corpweed. No

You're right Corpweed. No doubt.

Pu239
Pu239 06/04/11 - 12:21 am
Yankee....if you had a clue

Yankee....if you had a clue of.....oh well

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 06/04/11 - 08:27 am
There is a BIG difference

There is a BIG difference between Fox NEWS coverage and Fox Opinion shows...there News can not be beat and I watch all 3 channels.