Motorcycle death is second in 24 hours

A South Carolina woman died after crashing her motorcycle Monday night, the second such fatality in less than 24 hours.

Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay said the woman, who had not been identified late Monday, lost control of her motorcycle shortly before 8 p.m., at the Riverwatch Parkway ramp near the Broad Street intersection. No other vehicles were involved.

Sunday night, an active duty serviceman was killed while he sat on his parked 2007 Kawasaki motorcycle on Bobby Jones Expressway at the Laney Walker Boulevard exit.

Sgt. 1st Class James B. Gray, 34, of Buffalo, N.Y., had pulled over when he was struck from behind by a 2008 Ford Mustang, according to Chief Deputy Coroner Mark Bowen. He died at the scene from his injuries around 11:30 p.m., the coroner said.

Gerald Wright, 37, was charged with DUI, following too closely, leaving the scene of an accident and driving with an open container, according to jail records.

Gray leaves behind a wife and two children, a Fort Gordon spokesman said.

Phildog99
Phildog99 05/23/11 - 09:20 am
My prayers goes out to the

My prayers goes out to the family. I ask that your day will be brighter.

storiesihaveread
storiesihaveread 05/23/11 - 11:21 am
Prayers to the James Gray

Prayers to the James Gray family. This should not have happened.

proudgunowner
proudgunowner 05/23/11 - 05:10 pm
My prayers to the family who

My prayers to the family who proudly and bravely served all of us....Even the **deleted** that took his life by his stupid actions. Let us all hope the wheels of justice work in this case.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/11 - 07:46 am
I am devastated by the loss

I am devastated by the loss of the woman in the accident on Riverview. She is an amazing woman whose life was exemplary, filled with love, laughter, and generosity of spirit. She will be missed deeply by her husband, family, friends, co-workers, patients and members of her church. This is a huge loss for so many, I cannot even begin to count those who will be affected. My prayers to all that love this woman.

niki_admin
niki_admin 05/24/11 - 08:17 am
Mom loved life. She loved

Mom loved life. She loved all of the people that came into her life and worked extremely hard to care for her patients. She talked about them with such love as she worked late each night and went in early each morning so she had the time to help them. Her laugh was infectious and always seemed to find the bright side of things. We will miss her so very much. I love you mom...I wish I could say that to you just one more time.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 05/24/11 - 09:14 am
You just did niki_admin. God

You just did niki_admin. God bless you through this difficult time.

debandjoe
debandjoe 05/24/11 - 04:05 pm
So sorry for your loss niki

So sorry for your loss niki admin, it sounds as if your mother was a wonderful lady.

Willow Bailey
20603
Willow Bailey 05/24/11 - 07:44 pm
niki, so sorry for the loss

niki, so sorry for the loss of your mother. May God be with you.

jedwins
jedwins 05/24/11 - 09:59 pm
Niki, your mother was my

Niki, your mother was my dad's NP and one of the few people at the VA who consistently was helpful and kind, always returning phone calls and working for the good of her patients. I am deeply saddened for your loss and saddened for the loss all her patients will experience.

niki_admin
niki_admin 05/26/11 - 07:57 am

Thank you all for the kind words about our mom.