Rants & raves

Comments from our readers:

Thank God that 13 years from now, when the cicada bugs return, I will be 74 and probably deaf.

A “wire report” says that “ the CIA is allowing members (of Congress) … to see the (bin Laden) photos …” Allowing? The CIA works for Congress – and not the other way around.

No plea bargains, please, if the four pitiless perps are convicted for needlessly slaying Mr. Luckey. What evil, cowardly sons of the Devil! If convicted, the only bargaining they should be allowed is to choose which arm the needle goes in.

Pakistan and their leaders were playing both sides of the fence. Stop sending money over there. Stop supporting them. They were using us and the other side. I mean, come on, how many million dollar complexes are there in Pakistan? If they didn’t know he was there I’ll jump off the Empire State Building.

All Augusta commission meetings should be taped to be used  for  a regular episode on Saturday Night Live.

This rave is for the wonderful person who found my credit card at the Kroger gas pump on Wrightsboro Road and took it all the way to my credit union in Evans before I even knew it was missing. Thank you so much. God bless you.

Last Friday ,  I took three grandchildren to the Augusta Green Jackets game. Cost $22 to enter the game (kids are 8, 6 and 1). I made a mistake and bought two hot dogs, one Diet Coke, one bottled water, one order of nacho chips and three ice cream cups – total $32 – Major League prices for Minor League games. It won’t happen again.

School lunch prices will go up. We used to carry our own lunches to school. We ate better; and we learned more.

Cost Saving rave:   To help control expenses,  I’ve  decided to stop funding all political parties and their  fundraisers.   Gonna save me a lot of money.   Hopefully enough to pay for the high price of gas.

A RAVE to Pastor Larry at West Acres Baptist Church. His weekly phone devotionals are very uplifting.

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/13/11 - 05:34 am
At a major league game 2 yrs

At a major league game 2 yrs ago 2 hot dogs, 1 soda and a pretzel cost us 35.00...plus 2 tickets at a reduced group rate of 19.00 each for admission.

KSL
KSL 05/13/11 - 06:23 am
Which one of you didn't get

Which one of you didn't get something to drink?

Seriously, the increase in prices for those things come close for to the increase in gas prices.

My maternal grandmother had a little country store. My mother was speaking to me just the other day about how much 15 cents a gallon gas she pumped while growing up. She will be 88 years old and that gas had lead in it! She can still work a cube root, not just a square root.

wondersnevercease
wondersnevercease 05/13/11 - 07:26 am
Lets see 2 hot dogs,,actual

Lets see 2 hot dogs,,actual cost about 1.02....1 diet coke .50...nachos 1.50....water.50...ice cream cups...60...so thats around 5.65 total....
they must be making a bloody foutune at the concession stand.

I have helped stock concession stands and gas has nothing to do with those prices.

courtneymom4
courtneymom4 05/13/11 - 07:38 am
Its every 17 yrs for the

Its every 17 yrs for the cicadas and this isn't the only brood that comes and goes. This group is just a very large one so in 2028 it will be a lot more noise to deal with. there may be some next year but not from this mating.

kfaigle
kfaigle 05/13/11 - 09:44 am
I hope the ballpark

I hope the ballpark complainer doesn't take the kids to the movies. Then they'll really have something to complain about. $22 for four people to get into the game, that'll be 2 movie tickets. Enjoy

PWRSPD
PWRSPD 05/13/11 - 10:21 am
A grandpa and 3 grandkids

A grandpa and 3 grandkids spend an evening together and all the guy can think about is he spent 50 bucks! I'd consider that deal, and just concentrate on what fun my grandkids and I had.

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 10:29 am
If I want to see a ballgame

If I want to see a ballgame or movie, I watch it on tv. I have heard some say they can't afford to subscribe to ancestry.com. I then asked do they eat out or go to movies or ballgames, and do they smoke or drink much.

Dudeness
Dudeness 05/13/11 - 10:32 am
Was the concession stand

Was the concession stand complainer unable to add up the prices prior to ordering? I never order something without adding up the cost in my head first so that I can weigh the cost of the item versus how much I personally value the item. Perhaps the difference is that I use my head.

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 10:36 am
You don't have to spend a

You don't have to spend a pile of money to make kids happy. I remember when I was a child ,times I spent with my grandmother. She did not spend money on me, because she did not have extra money. I value those times we spent talking and looking at books, and walking to the store and church with her. I watched her sew on her petal machine, and she made and designed all of my clothes. Just spending time with her made me happy.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 05/13/11 - 11:47 am
"Why does every high school

"Why does every high school in Richmond County need a $3 million football stadium and a million dollar field house? For that much money they could build one and everybody could share it."

Because sports and athletics are more important than actually using that money towards the education of all students. You should sit in a local high school for day and watch how the jocks and cheerleaders are treated versus the other students. It would anger you.

clayhill
clayhill 05/13/11 - 03:31 pm
Going to a baseball game is

Going to a baseball game is not like opening a box of chocolates. Everyone should know that you will pay inflated prices for food and drinks at the stadium. It is the same way at the movie theater.

tanbaby
tanbaby 05/13/11 - 03:38 pm
check your internet

check your internet courtneymom4, its every 13 years not 17..the cicadas will be back in 2024.....

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 04:28 pm
I read that one group is

I read that one group is every 17 yrs and another is 13.

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 04:36 pm
There are two basic types of

There are two basic types of Cicadas: Periodic, 2-8 year cycle- These insects "seem" to appear every year in some areas, because their life cycle is staggered. Actually, a different brood is hatching each year to make it seem like they are annual.
13 to 17 year cycle- This group does not appear every year. When they do emerge, it is in huge numbers. They are sometimes called "17 Year Locusts". Although, they are not related to locusts.

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/14/11 - 07:42 am
Just to be clear...We knew

Just to be clear...We knew what we were going to pay for that meal, but since he didnt get home from work at his usual time, we paid for it by eating at the ball park. We got one drink, 2 straws. Later we did get some Carvels ice cream they were selling too...those were reasonably priced AND sized.
Folks are right...going to sports events or movies is not cheap. This is why for us it is a once in a while thing anymore.