News |   Obits |   Sports |   Business |   Opinion |   Things to Do |   Life |   Blogs |   Photos |   Video |   Data |   Jobs |   Homes |   Autos |   Buy/Sell

Rants & raves

Comments from our readers:

RAVES TO THE RICHMOND County Sheriff's Office. At last you have hit Georgia Highway 56 with full force. Dish those tickets out to people who think it's a speedway. Those folks wouldn't have to be in such a rush if they would get up and leave a few minutes earlier. That's what I do.

THIS IS A RANT to FEMA for trying to (collect) money it sent out in error to disaster victims. Isn't there a statute of limitations for the citizens?

I WAS SURPRISED to read in the paper this morning that only 16 percent of Richmond County students pay full price for lunch. That means 84 percent get reduced price or (don't) pay anything. The unemployment in Richmond County is only 10 percent. It appears to be a whole lot of freeloaders getting lunches for their kids free.

WE LIVE IN EVANS, and I wonder why we're not getting our mail until 4:30-5 o'clock in the afternoon. It is too hot then for the old people, especially the old crippled people, to walk down to the mailbox to get their mail. And it's not safe to leave it overnight.

I READ IN THE PAPER this morning where we pay 41 cents on the dollar that we borrow from China. Why don't we borrow from our millionaires in the United States and pay them back 15 to 20 cents on the dollar? That would save us a lot of money, and the millionaires in the U.S. could make a few more bucks and invest it into our economy.

SOME PEOPLE ARE enjoying the singing of the cicada bugs; some people are not. I'm one of the latter. I walk outside and it sounds like a great big hum. Thank goodness they'll be going back to sleep pretty soon for another 13 years.

THOSE WHO BELIEVE that abortion laws "specifically target women" should remember that half of the (fetuses) killed by abortion are female.

THIS IS A RANT for New York. I see they think they're entitled to the bounty on Osama bin Laden. They've already been paid some money. Why don't we take that money and give it to our underpaid military and their families? They're the ones who really deserve it.

THE NATIONAL EPISCOPAL Church is taking Christ Church, a Savannah congregation, to court claiming the national outfit owns the local church's property. Since the national group has busted the rule book -- the Bible -- to pieces by not only recognizing what God calls abominations and even making an abomination a bishop, the rule breakers haven't played by the rules, so the locals are right on both counts. If a court is sinful enough to rule otherwise, the locals must just never go back to that nonchurch and never give it another nickel. It's already stolen too much. Let it own an empty building.

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/12/11 - 03:26 am
Ranting to FEMA about paying

Ranting to FEMA about paying something back you didn't deserve to begin with is ridiculous. I will give a RAVE out to FEMA for as least finding their mistake and actually trying to correct it.

Why would it suprise anyone in Richmond County that only 16% of public school students pay full price for lunch and that full price is going up again next year to help pay for all of those on free and reduced lunch. This is just our government teaching enabling and government dependancy to our future leaders, God help us.

Excellent idea to reduce our interest rates by borrowing from American Billionares and Multi Millionaires. However, most of them who have acheived this status did so by being smart. With the Obama, Pelosi & Reid administration I doubt even liberals would be stupid enough to loan their money to our current government.

The Cicada bugs are obnixous and thank goodness they will be gone soon. If you like the sound, you can get a noise machine and listen in your own home year round.

Rant to Obama for bringing a rapper to the White House who has lyrics against our past president and uses the "N" word often. To top if off, he wrote a song on behalf of a person acussed of murdering a NJ State Trooper and one of his songs talks about killing cops....our President inviting him to the White House is bad enough but to do it on National Public Safety Appreciation Week deplorable.

carcraft
carcraft 05/12/11 - 06:22 am
Post #5, The government does

Post #5, The government does barrow money from millionaires, it is called bonds. Even the small guy can get in on it, it's called a savings bond!

seenitB4
seenitB4 05/12/11 - 09:36 am
Yesterday a home invader was

Yesterday a home invader was killed in Duluth....the53 year oldwoman was taking a shower when the man broke in....she said she would get money from back room but got a gun & killed the guy.....(he had a knife to her throat) today another breakin & this homeowner just opened the door & was shot....near theDuluth/Norcross area.....
What happenend to the 81 year old at Hephzibah is going on across this nation.....please be careful---lock your doors-don't open for strangers---be prepared to protect yourself..

happychimer
happychimer 05/12/11 - 10:01 am
How dare children get reduced

How dare children get reduced or free lunches. Take that money and give to the more needy... CEOs of big corporations. That's what most repubs want. My kids got reduced lunch for a few years, because we just barely qualified. When my oldest moved out, we no longer qualified, and I let the school know.I don't remember how long we got it. A paper with a chart was sent home, and I filled it out and sure we qualified. Most of the children at school qualified. Why would we not have accepted reduced lunch? That's the only thing we ever did qualify for.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 05/12/11 - 10:34 am
"Rant to Obama for bringing a

"Rant to Obama for bringing a rapper to the White House who has lyrics against our past president and uses the "N" word often. To top if off, he wrote a song on behalf of a person acussed of murdering a NJ State Trooper and one of his songs talks about killing cops."

If saying something against a president is a crime, then go turn yourself in now. Also, that guy wrote a piece about a criminal whose case is still controversial in the fact that his death sentence was overturned due to the inconsistances of his conviction. (By the way, it is a Philadelphia police office, not a NJ state trooper, but I'll just take that as the fact that you were informed by FAUX news. I'll also assume your rap background is about a broad as the facts from the criminal case when you assume that Common, who has limted his use of the N-word, is an advocate for HIV/AIDS awareness and has 2 children books under his belt.....)

Jane18
Jane18 05/12/11 - 12:06 pm
Re: free or reduced lunches.

Re: free or reduced lunches. I've told this before, and I'll tell it again. After divorce, I also could have gotten free lunch for my child. I got very little child support, and my job was not a high paying one, but, for my son and hopefully for knowing that his Mama could take care of him and his needs, I never even applied. One of the greatest and most meaningful things my child ever said to me was, " I know it had to be hard for you Mama(financially), but you always made it for us, I admire you"! Oh yeah that small amount of child support I was supposed to get, that stopped after a year, although, he(THE ex) did buy school clothes, winter jackets, and kept insurance coverage on our son, and I appreciated that!

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/12/11 - 12:42 pm
WASHINGTON — Though hunted

WASHINGTON — Though hunted and in hiding, Osama bin Laden remained the driving force behind every recent al-Qaida terror plot, U.S. officials say, citing his private journal and other documents recovered in last week's raid.

Until Navy SEALs killed him a week ago, bin Laden dispensed chilling advice to the leaders of al-Qaida groups from Yemen to London: Hit Los Angeles, not just New York, he wrote. Target trains as well as planes. If possible, strike on significant dates, such as the Fourth of July and the upcoming 10th anniversary of the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

Do we really need our administration releasing this information???

Asitisinaug
Asitisinaug 05/12/11 - 12:50 pm
HappyChimer, as an American

HappyChimer, as an American you can be a taker or you can make things happen. When 84% are taking and 16% are paying, things are really out of wack. You can try to say republicans wont CEO's to get more money all your want but nothing could be further from the truth as most prefer a fair flat tax on corporations - all corporations and many also prefer this method for all individuals.

Dems on the other hand think their is some unlimited amount of money coming in although 48% of all americans don't even pay federal taxes anymore - pathetic. They also teach that the government is here for you and all of your needs...well the only thing the government has to give is that which it takes from hard working productive Americans.

Sure, the free lunch and reduced lunch program has its merits but so does personal responsibility. If someone can't afford to have children, don't or look to family and friends for assistance, not the government. With less than 10% unemployment it is illogical that 84% are on free or reduced lunch. There is either a lot of lying going on, government waste, theft or other reason for this which needs to be monitored far more closely.

How hard is it for a democrat to figure out that the government is BROKE and borrowing money like crazy to keep giving money to all of these subsidy programs such as this. Even a democrat should be smart enough to figure out that something has got to give...and no, that shouldn't infer that those who work need to give more through taxes.

ssimpso2
ssimpso2 05/12/11 - 03:59 pm
I am one of the 52% of

I am one of the 52% of Americans who actually pay taxes. Regarding the reduced and free lunch issue...I think if you qualify and receive food stamps (or the EBT as it is these days), then you should pack your kids' lunches. Doesn't the gov't already take into account feeding them 3 squares per day? Blood sucking leeches, if you receive food without having to pay for it and then double-dip the system by getting free lunches for your kids. You'll never have anything because you're not willing to work for it.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/12/11 - 04:06 pm
Re: Christ Church vs. the

Re: Christ Church vs. the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia in a protracted property dispute: Sadly, the people who currently have possession of that wonderful property almost certainly will get the boot before too much longer. Christ Church deeded the property over to the diocese decades ago, long before the lunacy that has virtually destroyed the legitimacy of the Anglican Communion apart from some 3rd world dioceses. It's sad, but this battle isn't about Christian orthodoxy; it's nothing but a legal war over real estate, and the non-Christians have the legal upperhand.

It is my home parish and I love many people on both sides of this split, even many who have embraced (or silently assented to) abominations. The important thing to remember is that the outcome has nothing to do with truth or faith.

happychimer
happychimer 05/12/11 - 07:42 pm
Asitisinaug have you ever

Asitisinaug have you ever taken a tax break? Any kind of deduction at all? If you say no, I don't believe you. Yes my kids got reduced lunch for awhile, and it helped us at the time. We have never qualified for any other assistance.I guess you think it is awful to get reduced lunch, but ok for CEOs to get huge bonuses at companies that get corporate welfare .

dani
dani 05/12/11 - 09:43 pm
There is nothing wrong with

There is nothing wrong with children getting a free lunch if there is no alternative. The thing is so many folks abuse the system. Instead of paying for their children's lunch, they buy beer, cigarettes, or maybe lottery tickets. It happens.

happychimer
happychimer 05/12/11 - 09:48 pm
dani I know that well.You are

dani I know that well.You are right. I saw plenty when I was a cashier in a grocery store. I saw plenty.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 05/13/11 - 01:04 am
You so-called "Christians"

You so-called "Christians" that are posting on here need to take a look at yourself in the mirror before you call anybody an abomination. You are honestly worse than the Muslims that you rant and rail against. Hypocrites and false prophets. What gives YOU the right to call anything that God has made an abomination? Who are YOU to sit in judgement of others? YOU are the reason that so many of today's youth are pulling away from Christianity. Judge not, least ye be judged. What ever happened to loving thy neighbor as thyself. Keep your personal bigotries to yourself, fair-weather Christians.

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/13/11 - 05:47 am
Mr Baughman...do you not

Mr Baughman...do you not judge others when you call others worse than Muslims or call them hypocrites and false prophets? Does this mean you also are a fair weather Christian? Im sure that the ongoing scandals involving priests involved in touching children inappropriately, the lack of parochial schools, and politics surrounding religion in general have absolutely nothing to do with why youth pull away from their religion. It has nothing at all to do with exploring an enlarged world (in their lives, new freedoms to go farther), exploring their own personal views as they relate to religion, and forming their own identity.

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 05/13/11 - 07:56 am
Actually, fftaz71, the reason

Actually, fftaz71, the reason that I pull away from them is because they sit in judgement of others and I am quite tired of hearing both sides of the issue. And please, elaborate how I'm judging them? What I said was based in REAL FACT, not in they "holy scriptures" according to me. If you say one thing, yet do the other, you are a hypocrite. If you attempt to lead people down a path based upon what YOU FEEL is the way everyone should think, you are a false prophet. If you live according to the tenets of your religion (in this case Christians)when it's nice to, you are fair-weathered. And yes, those are all reasons that youth pull away from today's Christianity that you stated, I never said it wasn't. However, most youth I know pulled away because of "Christian hypocrisy." And, I can personally attest to the FACT that it does indeed have to do with them wanting to explore and create their own identity and personal views, as well as "elders" telling them what to think and act like, who to like and hate, instead of letting them form their own opinions. BY THE WAY.... that "holy book" you put so much stock in was NOT written by God, but by multiple men that had zero clue what the others were writing, then it was edited by another MAN.

WW1949
WW1949 05/13/11 - 08:55 am
There are millions of people

There are millions of people scaming the welfare system and the employees in the government offices show them how. They would rather do that then work because some say the job is beneath them and some just plain will not work. I have no empathy at all for people like that. I will however help the person willing to work by giving them something to do. Some will do it some will not. Happychimer, do you not understand that corporations are owned by stockholders and they have to make a profit to pay out in dividends to the stockholders. They hire the best CEO's available to run the companies and they have to pay them on a bonus agreement. Even in my small company I pay my office manager a small weekley salery with bonus payments according to the profit. She must like it because she has been there 35+ years and gets extra pay all during the year at at year end when we zero out the profit with extra pay. She gets that extra because she looks out for the interest of the company and does not watch a clock. Big corporations do the same but have much more money with which to work.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/13/11 - 09:21 am
Baughman, it's probably a

Baughman, it's probably a complete waste of time to explain this to you--again, but condemning what someone does or the choices someone makes DOES NOT EQUAL a lack of love for them. In point of fact, what parent who loves their child does not condemn their stupid, willful or dangerous behavior and choices, even punish them? What true friend does not warn someone who is going off the rails and potentially destroying their life?

You may think that Christians who cling to orthodoxy (small "o" orthodoxy) are misguided, but you really should eschew the presumption of declaring that we hate those whose actions we condemn. You are quite mistaken in your judgment, at least about my heart's disposition.

And arrogant.

Fiat_Lux
Fiat_Lux 05/13/11 - 09:35 am
And honestly, Baughman, it is

And honestly, Baughman, it is perfectly clear that what you know about Christianity that bears any resemblance to its reality might fill a thimble. Well, maybe almost.

In fact, left to my own devices, I couldn't care less how other people abuse and debase themselves. But God loves them enough to die for them so that they have a chance at eternal splendor instead of settling for the rags and filth of a tawdry, sensuous, appetite-driven sojourn on planet Earth. Which means I am obligated to care about them, their welfare and their eternal destiny.

It would be a lot easier just to watch the show, but to choose Christ is to choose to get involved. And to get persecuted for stated unpopular facts about reality and the people who inhabit it.

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 10:08 am
WW1949 many of those big

WW1949 many of those big corporations pay little or no taxes either. Corporate welfare.

justthefacts
20466
justthefacts 05/13/11 - 10:04 am

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/13/11 - 12:51 pm
"have you ever taken a tax

"have you ever taken a tax break?"

Are you kidding? You have to PAY taxes in the first place to get a tax BREAK.

The problem is the people who don't work and don't pay a dime in taxes and still get a refund!

I have a cheap crappy cell phone, pay $12 for hair cut, drive a 10-year-old car, struggle to pay for night school, and put up with a job I despise just so the government can turn around and use my hard-earned money to pay for someone else to have free housing, free food, free medical?

I've said this before, if you receive any government funds (student grants, medicaid, welfare, food stamps, etc), you should have to work for them. You should be required to put in x number of volunteer hours to "pay it back" to those of us who supported you.

More than 50 million Americans are on Medicaid, more than 40 million people get food stamps, more than 4.4 million people are on welfare.

Just think of what a pool of volunteer workers that size could accomplish? We're already paying them to do nothing, what have we got to lose?

And this isn't a one-way street, this also benefits the recipients...

1) People stop thinking of them as a free-loaders.

2) It gives them a sense of purpose and pride in accomplishment.

3) It gives them job experience, skills, and helps them make connections that could lead to a paying job.

My stats came from this USA Today article

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 01:11 pm
You have to file to get a tax

You have to file to get a tax break.

happychimer
happychimer 05/13/11 - 01:13 pm
We have never had a refund

We have never had a refund that was more than what we paid.

emergencyfan
emergencyfan 05/13/11 - 03:33 pm
happy, you may not have, but

happy, you may not have, but I know of a family of 6 (4 kids + 2 adults). Father's on disability (able enough to do the things he wants to do though). Mother has had a part-time, low-paying job off-and-on for the past 15 years. During most of that time, the family received food stamps, free school lunches, medicaid for all 6 of them, welfare, disability, and probably other things I don't even know about. Every year, like clockwork, they get a big fat refund check. Apparently the trick is to keep having kids you can't afford and not to make enough to disqualify you for any of your freebees. The people who pay taxes, like me, supported the two adults for the past 20 years, paid for them to have 4 children, and paid for the upkeep of those children.

And if those 4 children each have 4 children that they can't support? 16 kids that the next generation will have to subsidize.

And why shouldn't they follow in their parent's footsteps? What discourages them? Absolutely nothing!

Pu239
Pu239 05/13/11 - 08:39 pm
Onlysane1...regarding your

Onlysane1...regarding your 1034....perhaps you should engage in a little research...here I will make it easy for you and post this from the Officer Down Memorial Page.."Trooper Werner Foerster was shot and killed with his own weapon after stopping a female on the New Jersey Turnpike. His partner was wounded in the shootout. The two suspects were members of the Black Liberation Army. Both suspects were convicted of Trooper Foerster's murder, but the female suspect escaped from prison in 1979 with outside help and fled to Cuba where she has remained at large."

Or maybe this quote from BayView a self proclaimed National Black Newspaper is more inline with your political view "Assata Shakur (JoAnne Chesimard) was involved in a 1973 shootout on the New Jersey Turnpike that resulted in the deaths of fellow Black Liberation Army member Zayd Shakur and New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster. Shakur was sentenced to life in prison in 1977 but was broken out of prison by her comrades in 1979. She has been living under political asylum in Cuba since 1984"

Did you happen to catch the part about NEW JERSEY?

fftaz71
fftaz71 05/13/11 - 09:05 pm
onlysane1 is talking about a

onlysane1 is talking about a different incident that did take place in Philadelphia. While I dont always trust Wiki, Im familiar enough with the incident to know the facts are pretty much correct...

Pu239
Pu239 05/13/11 - 09:26 pm
fftaz71...I have read little

fftaz71...I have read little on Mumia other than he has been on death row for more than 29 years. However, it would appear Onlysane1's reference is to Common and his "A Song for Assata" which did involve New Jersey State Trooper Werner Foerster. My point of reference is that the New Jersey State Trooper Association opposed Common's apperance.

I will add this from a columist (read opinion) from philly.com "Just the same, I wish the rapper known as Common hadn't been invited to the White House on Wednesday night. Abu-Jamal is one of two cop killers for whom Common has voiced support. The other is Joanne Chesimard, aka Assata Shakur, who murdered a New Jersey state trooper."

paulbaughman28
paulbaughman28 05/14/11 - 01:08 am
fiat, you have never ever

fiat, you have never ever attempted to explain anything to me. I am not sitting here and trying to say that I know everything, but for you to attempt to tell me I know next to nothing about my own religion is arrogant on your part. Yes, I am indeed arrogant. I am this way because I take the time to actually study and research what I am talking about to better present my case. Explaining it the way YOU just did, I actually have a better understanding of it. Just know, that not everyone that I pose this to does that.

Property tax increase OK'd

Augusta commissioners broke a seven-year trend Wednesday and agreed 7-0 to raise property taxes by 1.75 mills to cover a deficit and provide employees a small bonus.