Confederate tribute

Back | Next
The Brig. Gen. E. Porter Alexander Camp of the Sons of Confederate Veterans marched Saturday from Broad Street to Magnolia Cemetery to honor fallen Civil War soldiers in a Confederate Memorial Day service.  Corey Perrine/Staff
Corey Perrine/Staff
bclicious
bclicious 04/24/11 - 05:55 am
Honoring confederate soldiers

Honoring confederate soldiers in any way is racist, and is a slap in the face to all black peoples. SARCASM

juantez
juantez 04/24/11 - 08:20 am
Who said anything about

Who said anything about blacks? It's not the blacks that keep bringing this up...It's the racist. SARCASM

Riverman1
Riverman1 04/24/11 - 09:05 am
If I could live just one week

If I could live just one week in Jeb Stuart's calvary my life would be complete. I'll take the Confederate soldier against any other soldier in history...Romans, Huns, Spartans...bring um on. We need a computerized tournament that shows us winning against those historical armies.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 09:19 am
We celebrate everything

We celebrate everything else....why not this.....we have a lot of history in the area around Augusta....Washington & Crawfordville are LOADED with interesting sights.....The Robert Toombs House/AlexanderStephens Park.......also MagnoliaSprings area......sometimes we need to explore the state of Georgia.....I just learned about Graves Mountain in Lincoln county(read it on AC in the last few days)
Some of the best marble in the world comes from North Ga. area....we are lucky in this state... we have the mountains-oceanside-flat land--swamps like no other....& don't forget StoneMountain..

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 09:34 am

The beautiful Tate House made from pink marble from Georgia mines.

christyanne76
christyanne76 04/24/11 - 10:06 am
So...out of pure

So...out of pure curiosity...should we not remember and honor the volunteer black confederate regiments. I mean, if you're so proud of your heritage, be proud of all of it. Not just the parts you approve of from atop your high horse.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 10:13 am

I certainly will honor them ....what about these airmen...

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 10:14 am
The black confederate

The black confederate regiments have my praise........from my high horse...

christyanne76
christyanne76 04/24/11 - 10:21 am
I'm saying its a part of your

I'm saying its a part of your history, like it or not. The war in Iraq/Afghanistan is unpopular with a lot of people today. Does that mean 160 years from now those soldiers shouldn't be honored for their service? Of course not. They are defending their country and doing their jobs. Personally in a war in which so many people died as young as 11 and 12 years old... I would hope they would be remembered.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/24/11 - 10:41 am
I accept my country-my

I accept my country-my history-my past...& I move on..

My mother came from a very poor childhood......she said she could see the chickens underneath the house through the cracks in the floor...this was during the depression.......no,she wasn't a slave but you could say she lived in dire conditions.......do I blame anyone ..NO....& I don't think anyone owes me anything either....I'm not bitter because sometimes these conditions have taught many to value a dollar & work like hell to have a better life.....we all have history....some good, some sad....we have all the opportunities in this country to have a good life...it is there for the taking....a good education-libraries-good parks--if a person doesn't make it in todays world.....they need to look in the mirror ...
What is interesting is that so many from other countries come here (with nothing) & make a great life with riches.....could it be they are not mired in the past....just a few thoughts from this high horse..

Just The Truth
Just The Truth 04/24/11 - 11:16 am
If we look at the subject of

If we look at the subject of corruption you don't have to look far to see that the north and the actions of them attacking the Southern Nation, because they did not want to be part of the corrupt federal system (which is much larger and more currupt now), were of a much more corrupt and Godless nation. Bad things happen to the Godly all the time, just read the Bible as Christ Himself was treated pretty badly, so that does not necessarily mean that the South was corrupt and judged accordingly. It just means that we don't have to understand or figure out the Lord's plans, we just have to accept it.

WW1949
WW1949 04/24/11 - 01:35 pm
Amen Seenit. I agree with you

Amen Seenit. I agree with you 1000%. Anyone can do better, they just have to have the will, devotion to work and the ability to see what is and is not important in bettering their position. To not have an education in todays world is no one's fault but their own.

Rather
Rather 04/24/11 - 01:45 pm
The South did not lose the

The South did not lose the war. Lee handed his sword to Grant to polish thinking he was the butler. He would have given it to Obama but he didn’t know what a sword was.

deportem
deportem 04/24/11 - 05:09 pm
Very few of the actual

Very few of the actual Confederate troops were slave owners, so get over it. They were just Americans fighting to uphold what they believed in.

In addition, not all "black peoples" were enslaved.

TheGeorgian
TheGeorgian 04/24/11 - 05:10 pm
Grant was my cousin and I've

Grant was my cousin and I've spent many years on both sides of the Mason-Dixon and much prefer the South. The Confederacy had brave soldiers who fought nobly and were defeated by attrition of their numbers and inadequate supplies. To denigrate the heroic soldiers of the South is to denigrate oneself, sir.

augustadog
augustadog 04/24/11 - 07:06 pm
I had a Great Great

I had a Great Great Grandfather from Pennsylvania that was a Captain in the Union Army. I also have a Great Great Grandfather from Augusta that was a Confederate and I respect and revere them both. I am a member of Sons of Confederate Veterans Secession Camp #4 in Charleston. I was born in SC and and thank God for being a native son of the South. My ancestor from Augusta was a cobbler and never owned a slave as most Confederates. For anyone to think these brave men fought to uphold Slavery, please study the true history of the War, not the propoganda in text books written by Carpetbaggers.
States Rights and protecting our homes from Northern invasion was the utmost concern of the average Confederate. States Rights ? We are still fighting for it !

nycweeks
nycweeks 04/25/11 - 01:39 am
How can you say that

How can you say that "Honoring Confederate soldiers...is rascist"? This diminishes the severity of actual rascism; when you say things like that. This statement is as silly as the one I heard when I lived in NYC, a person, on the radio, said, "If you can see the color of a person's skin, you are a rascist".

bclicious
bclicious 04/25/11 - 02:05 am
The black soldiers who fought

The black soldiers who fought for the Confederacy were also racist. Honoring the black soldiers is also RACIST. As matter of fact, the word confederate is racist.

It's all just a conspiracy to keep the black man down! (SARCASM)

Gander Mountain opens

Outdoor retailer Gander Mountain opened at 9 a.m. today at 145 Mason McKnight Jr. Parkway, across from CarMax.