3 die in wreck with logging truck

Three people were killed in a wreck Wednesday, including a woman whose teenage daughter died last month crossing a Hephzibah road.

Margot Helen Clark, 31, was riding in a car driven by Barney Joe McCombs, 50, on Southern Glassine Drive around noon. In the back seat of the green 1997 Oldsmobile was Thomas Heverly, 51.

At 11:53 a.m., McCombs drove into the path of an oncoming log truck as he turned onto Mike Padgett Highway, Richmond County sheriff's Capt. Scott Gay said.

McCombs and Clark died immediately.

Heverly was taken by helicopter to Medical College of Georgia Hospital, where he later died.

Gay said no charges are expected against the truck's driver, Jermaine Rivers, 38, who is based in Sandersville, Ga.

"He was very cooperative," said Gay, who added there was no indication Rivers was impaired by drugs or alcohol.

Clark's 13-year-old daughter, Sarah Riffe, and close friend Michael Perry, 17, were killed the night of March 2 crossing the 4800 block of McCombs Road, which does not have streetlights, in rural Hephzibah. Kellie Adkinson, Clark's aunt, said Wednesday that the past few months have seen several family deaths, including Sarah and now Clark.

"We want to ask the community to keep our family in their thoughts and prayers," said Adkinson, who described Clark as a "good-hearted person."

Adkinson said the family isn't sure where Clark was headed, just that she was out with friends.

Clark is survived by another daughter, 15-year-old Alanna Clark; her parents, Wayne and Susan Canaday; and other family members.

Jessy McCombs described his father as a "good, faithful man" and "hardworking." He woke up Wednesday afternoon and found his father missing, then got a call from his friends about the accident.

McCombs said his father wasn't currently employed but had worked previously at Plant Vogtle and Procter & Gamble. He was also in school learning how to weld, McCombs said.

In his spare time, the elder McCombs enjoyed fishing and teaching his son how to restore a late 1960s Chevrolet Nova.

Attempts to reach the family of Heverly were unsuccessful Wednesday evening.

Reach Kyle Martin and Shawna Freeman at (706) 724-0851.

rmwhitley
rmwhitley 04/20/11 - 12:14 pm
God Bless Their Souls.

God Bless Their Souls.

bigmamastump
bigmamastump 04/20/11 - 01:26 pm
This is a very very dangerous

This is a very very dangerous road, Please allow enough time to turn off or onto this road don't try to beat the on coming traffic and remember that the big trucks can't stop as fast as a car can . So sorry for the families.

iLove
iLove 04/20/11 - 01:35 pm
So sorry for the families.

So sorry for the families. May the peace of the Lord be with you guys. Mike Padgett is a VERY dangerous rd. You guys, be careful.

sugarbutton
sugarbutton 04/20/11 - 01:55 pm
I'm so sorry for this tragic

I'm so sorry for this tragic loss. Family, friends and loved ones are in my prayers.

JesusSavesAtCitiBank
JesusSavesAtCitiBank 04/20/11 - 02:45 pm
They should set up more speed

They should set up more speed traps on Hwy 56/Mike Padgett....people fly up and down that road everyday like it's the Indy 500!

RIP to these poor people :(

Izzy123
Izzy123 04/20/11 - 02:51 pm
So sad! But its true folks

So sad! But its true folks just don't pay attention and speed all along that road. Between Tobacco Road and Bennett Mill Road on HWY56 is so dangerous. Thoughts and prayers with the families…

dani
dani 04/21/11 - 09:24 am

dani
dani 04/21/11 - 09:24 am
This wasn't caused by

This wasn't caused by speeding cars - it was pulling out onto the highway without clearance.

mystery30815
mystery30815 04/20/11 - 06:22 pm
Please pray for Jessy. One of

Please pray for Jessy. One of his closest friends is the young man, Michael Perry, that was hit and killed walking down a road in S. Augusta last month and now he loses his father.

Tisk tisk what is this world coming to
Sad, really sad. Out of

Sad, really sad. Out of respect for the survivors I will not say what is on my mind. But there is a subject that does need to be talked about at a later date.

csrareader
csrareader 04/20/11 - 07:11 pm
Slow down the logging trucks!

Slow down the logging trucks! I was passed by one on 56 today between Augusta and Waynesboro that must have been doing 80 in a 55 zone. Another tried to pass on a double line, pulled out, and then an oncoming car crested the hill. He had to hit the brakes and swerve back behind me. I would bet my paycheck these trucks were from Sandersville also. I copied down their Company name and will be calling their office tomorrow -- not that I assume it will do any good. Very sad for the families of those lost today.

Jillian
Jillian 04/21/11 - 05:27 am
Saying special prayers for

Saying special prayers for all affected, esp. Alana and Jessy. I cannot imagine dealing with so much tragedy at such a young age.

fastz28girl
fastz28girl 04/21/11 - 07:30 am
Uplifting these families in

Uplifting these families in prayer to the Lord.

NBTkrista
NBTkrista 04/21/11 - 11:20 am
It was determined that the

It was determined that the logging truck was NOT speeding! The car pulled directly out into the truck, he tried to avoid them, but had no where to go. It is terrible for all involved and condolences go out to all families involved.

dani
dani 04/21/11 - 12:29 pm
NBT..They won't listen. The

NBT..They won't listen. The article made it plain that the car pulled out in front of the truck. BUT...There will continue to be comments about speeding.

dani
dani 04/21/11 - 12:31 pm
Is the age given for the

Is the age given for the female a typo?

happychimer
19590
happychimer 04/21/11 - 01:05 pm
Speeding is a problem on that

Speeding is a problem on that road, even though speeding had nothing to do with this wreck.

csrareader
csrareader 04/21/11 - 01:23 pm
My previous comment was not

My previous comment was not meant to imply that the driver of the truck in the accident was at fault, or to imply that he was speeding. I was simply pointing out the logging trucks on Highway 56, particularly in the two-lane section, speed and drive recklessly. The law enforcement authorities need to get this under control BEFORE there is an accident that is caused by one of these trucks. Again, my condolences to the family. It is an awful tragedy.

snuffygerkins
snuffygerkins 04/21/11 - 02:15 pm
I resent the remark about the

I resent the remark about the road in question being like the Indy 500. Being from Indianapolis and a lifetime fan of Indy Car open wheel racing, the drivers there are extremely experienced and know exactly what they are doing, their capabilities and the ability of the car. On surface streets the drivers are distracted by cellphones, texting, music and many other things that take attention away from their driving. This was clearly the fault of the innatentive driver who pulled into the path of the rig. My prayers to the survivors, especially the young lady who lost her sister and now her mother within 6 weeks. Being a teen is tough enough today....

rubyjean
rubyjean 04/21/11 - 03:23 pm
Such a sad situation,prayers

Such a sad situation,prayers for all involved.

pommom38
pommom38 04/21/11 - 04:28 pm
I don't know why anyone

I don't know why anyone referred to it as the Indy 500, we all know it is called the Dieway. Most of the accidents are due to not paying attention, (as the one this morning was, never learn about cell phones and driving) and speeding.
This incident may not have been the trucks fault, but it usually is. People speed, people don't pay attention.
I'm sorry for these families loss, it could have been 100% prevented.

MajorFlyingmonkies
MajorFlyingmonkies 04/21/11 - 06:06 pm
When you are driving it only

When you are driving it only takes one mistake that can be your last mistake. It doesn't matter what you drive. Everyone makes mistakes. Professional drivers make mistakes also. My husband is a truck driver and I also have driven a truck in the past. It is very frustrating to be behind the wheel of a truck and deal with the other traffic, especially cars. Making mistakes behind the wheel of any vehicle will not bring back life. On the subject of Hwy. 56, I would like to see some sort of improvement on road safety. Too many people have been killed on this stretch of road. One of the people that died in the wreck yesterday was a classmate of my husband. My sympathies to the families.

mommyrab3
mommyrab3 04/22/11 - 11:18 am
Honestly, Highway 56 is only

Honestly, Highway 56 is only treacherous because drivers do not pay attention and speed. Certainly obeying the traffic laws could seriously prevent such tradedies as we've all seen on this stretch of highway.

mikesaul
mikesaul 04/28/11 - 09:00 am
Having lost a nephew on that

Having lost a nephew on that same stretch of Hwy 56, I know the pain they are feeling! I am very sorry to hear, yet again, of a fatal wreck there.

One thing that needs to be understood is that, while the truck may not have been "chargeable", I have seen first hand the nature of the driving that takes place along that highway, by truckers and cars, alike! I have rarely seen ANY vehicles going either direction on 56 doing less than 10 mile over the limit! While not "at fault", there are surely actions/precautions that could have been taken on both sides to reduce the risks. I feel sorry for the trucker, as well. He will have to live with this memory for the rest of his life, too!

Hwy 56 has too many high risk issues, and always has. The volume of traffic will only be rising with the new work starting at Vogtle, too. It is hard to judge the distances and speeds of traffic on the hwy, and at places the visibility is not great. I agree that serious work needs done, but it MUST be planned to reduce or eliminate these issues! Hwy 25 is a good, although not great, example. Straighten the road out more, level it off a bit to improve visibility.

Again, to the families, my heartfelt sympathies and prayers, and to the truck driver, may God ease the weight that shall be on your heart.