Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

ANOTHER COUPLE , my husband and I were in a local restaurant last Friday night. A young man ...a asked if our husbands were and had been in the military. They answered with my husband telling him he had been in Vietnam, Korea and all over Europe and USA in and after World War II. He told us how much he appreciated what they had done for our country. After he left our waiter told us he had paid for all our food. Thanks to this man and all the praise we give for some people still appreciate the veterans.

THIS IS A RANT for the golf week "renter" who lives in our neighborhood this one week each year. Listen up! It is juvenile for you to steal our "just delivered" Chronicle as you are driving away to Augusta National each morning. ... Most of the golf fans are pleasant people whom we enjoy meeting this time each year. You are the rare and unpleasant exception.

IF GEORGIA POWER can't handle getting people's power back on after a bad thunderstorm and tornado, why don't they call in crews from other counties like they do in an ice storm?

Shame on the Richmond County Board of Education for letting such a sorry excuse for a teacher and human being keep her job. She already had a disgraceful record yet she continued to teach even with all the allegations against her.

SHAME ON ALL who abuse, mistreat and neglect animals. The same, but worse, should be done to you.

TO THE PERSON who found my black purse in the grocery cart at Publix the other day. Thank you, thank you, thank you. ... it solidifies my trust in people. I wish I could have thanked you in person. God Bless You.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for Brittany Horne who was featured in an article in Sunday's paper (April 3). She is getting educated now for her future employment and as she says: "If I wanted to accept welfare checks, I could be at home every day with my 2-year-old daughter." She knows now that she is capable of something more than just "taking." Kudos to you Brittany, and the best of luck on your career goals.

THE EDUCATION system does not teach students how to perform in the job market. They're not teaching anything about job skills in the schools. They're teaching basic reading and writing skills, but that's not the reason they go to school. The reason they go to school is so they can go out and get a job. They're sorely lacking and that's why the schools are failing because the students don't know why they take school. So I suggest they might need to change that to make it more job orientated.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/11 - 06:36 am
A nice guy in the restaurant

A nice guy in the restaurant paid for your meals....I agree
Tell the AC about the address of the guy stealing the paper & they will probably deliver next year....:)

I've always thought we should teach more about finance & birth control in high school....would help with todays problems....
A nice person turned in your purse at Publix.....yeh, I agree.....we still do have nice people in the world....especially in the South! LOL

ZenoElia
ZenoElia 04/10/11 - 07:07 am
The reason we have education

The reason we have education is so we can all try to function similarly among our peers..and education begins w reading writing and 'rithmetic..our social skills develop as a natural course of interactions between us and others...the problem w today is that teachers have been unionized, they have to teach 'the test' and students could give a rats behind about learning because crime pays more than a legitimate job...quit glamorizing crime in TV and the movies and quit singing about being a gangsta and making money hand over fist doing these things , then perhaps we can reclaim our kids and their education and folks won't make comments about how the system fails them. Education begins at home long before the children ever reach the doorstep of the schools...we are the products of our own environments so lets create healthy and wholesome ones for our children at home and not turn them into the streets to learn from their peers who are all wanna-be bad boys n gals.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/11 - 07:09 am
A rant about Masters CBS

A rant about Masters CBS coverage......yesterday I saw very little about A Cabrera ...he is now number2 on the leader board....how did he play yesterday??? I happen to like this slightly chubby golfer....also F Couples......it isn't all about the younguns playing golf...ya know@!!

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/10/11 - 07:11 am
So true zeno....so true.

So true zeno....so true.

Frankie-B
Frankie-B 04/10/11 - 10:40 am
OK, before anyone lambasts

OK, before anyone lambasts the boy or his father as cruel and hateful animal killers, I want to say the fantastic photograph of an obviously proud and elated little William Hood with the turkey he bagged made my day! A happy child is a blessing to us all. And pass the gravy!!

happychimer
happychimer 04/10/11 - 11:01 am
#3 Georgia Power had crews

#3 Georgia Power had crews from other STATES here to help restore power. Other counties across Georgia had power outages too.

mc66
mc66 04/10/11 - 07:41 pm
Most high schools have

Most high schools have courses that do teach job skills. It is offered as an elective. They can take two of these courses every semester. They offer welding, health care(where they do have clinicals and go to the hospitals to learn), automotive, child care, etc.