Rants & Raves

Comments from our readers:

ONE OF THE MOST beautiful areas in Augusta is Westover Cemetery, which is maintained by David Collicutt, has been with Westover for 28 years and continues to have that one of the most beautiful areas during the Masters Tournament. Hats off to David.

IF THE RICHMOND County School Board really wants to know about the state of education locally, each board member should choose a school and grade in which to substitute for one day. By the end of that day, every board member would have numerous ideas for improvements, changes, and attention to critical areas. OK, they wouldn't survive a full day. So how about only half a day? You get the idea. Take off the suits and leave your name tags at home and come out and just observe your schools without making your presence known. Just watch and listen.

I WOULD LIKE to know where the Columbia County Board of Education found the money to build a $4 million athletic complex. All I have been reading is how they need to cut everything. I guess sports is more important then a education. Get Nagle out of there.

WHY NOT A NEW foreign policy? Bring all of our troops home and invade Mexico and Canada. It would solve our oil problems, make illegal immigration not an issue, and give us an endless supply of cheap labor to compete with China. We could divide them up into seven more states, so Obama could be correct about the 57 states he thought made up the U.S.

IT'S TOO BAD ignorant people who can't come up with concrete negative things to say about our president keep resorting to constant lies and the repetition of the lies about his birth certificate and citizenship. At least President Obama managed to help a foreign country without dumping hundreds of thousands of our ground troops into another years-weary battle like Bush did in getting us into Iraq and Afghanistan. All that without proper preparation of troop battle gear, adequately armored tanks, etc. And Cheney's Halliburton got to ring up the cash registers with no bidding permitted for the work they claimed they could do, even after years. Bush and his oil greedy cronies also got to gouge us with higher gas prices as well.

TEACHERS ARE supposed to take unpaid days off because of the budget crisis yet they are supposed to make up 16 hours because of snow days. Now does that make sense? Are our children being uneducated because the school system doesn't know how to swap snow days for unpaid days off they must take because of the budget crisis?

TO THE PERSON ranting about the proud looking boy with the pitiful looking turkey he killed, what do you eat on Thanksgiving? Pitiful looking hog or pitiful looking cow or fish, etc.

HMMM, I'M NEW in town, but it seems like the police enforcing a private enterprise business model is wrong. Do they go after craigslist and stubhub for reselling tickets for other sporting events?

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/06/11 - 03:07 am
To the rant about the

To the rant about the athletic complex, I am almost certain the funds came from a special one cent tax. That money cannot, by law, be used to pay teachers in any way. I will go no further because that's all I am fairly certain of. And in response (which nobody asked for!) to the person talking about Haliburton and Bush and Obama and....lalala. Come on, that drum is so old the cover blew off. You cannot excuse Obama by blaming Bush in any way now. I am almost sure Barack wears the big boy pants and buttons them up all by himself. The people have spoken in polls about him, just as Democrats loved to bring up about Bush. His policies are not what he promised, the american people have voiced their disapproval in the majority and his own supporters are shaking their heads now over his directives. I have respect for him simply for the reason he is President. For how long he will be in charge is up to voters.

copperhead
copperhead 04/06/11 - 05:25 am
A huge rave to japan for

A huge rave to japan for keeping the contaminated water(5 million times the safe level) from being dangerous to humans. Thank goodness we now know that all that radiation poses no danger. Heck,we can now release all contaminated cooling water at all the nuclear power plants. That solves the problems of nuclear waste-just dump it in the ocean and it no longer poses a threat to humans-according to the japanese.

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/06/11 - 06:17 am
I hope that all fishing in

I hope that all fishing in and around Japan that comes into the US for the next however many years is tested very thoroughly. China has been trying to poison us for years!! Well, maybe not on purpose, but it seems they make the most defective products. Great point copperhead and a Good master's week to you sir!

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/06/11 - 06:36 am
Has anybody else noticed the

Has anybody else noticed the tremendous increase in flammable commercials encouraging people to file bankruptcy? Or to sue for medical reasons by calling an 800 number? I am a little tired of the droning of the one call, that's all attorney. It must be legal but what kind of message is that sending to kids? It seems to me it says, hey...if you can't pay your bills, don't worry. Now, trust me, I do understand that a lot of circumstances call for BK. Not what I am talking about here. I am talking of the commercials and the way it comes across. My young daughter asked me what it meant and I explained it to her. I just wonder where this will lead. If getting in an accident becomes somebodies idea of a retirement plan, it's not farfetched to think someone might take a stupid chance to try to get PAID...as the commercials say. It's not the supposed victim making the money, it's the attorneys here. Just read the fine print in the medical commercials. Man, I am tired of reading my own stuff. Sorry for the lectures.

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 06:40 am
We can hope the healing salt

We can hope the healing salt water will take care of dangers to us. At least they have gotten the eight inch crack sealed, they being the people working on it. Did you read the story of one of the workers who knows he is on a suicide mission exposing himself to the radiation?

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 06:38 am
You and me both. Promotion

You and me both. Promotion of personal irresponsibility on the one hand and greed on the other.

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 06:42 am
Oops, that last comment

Oops, that last comment doesn't fit since you edited.

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 06:43 am
Well, it does fit the

Well, it does fit the commercials.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/06/11 - 08:05 am
Good am Augusta......now that

Good am Augusta......now that the rain has washed away some pollen,we can breathe again.....hope you all have a good day at the Masters....spend money.....try the great restaurants.....visit the beautiful neighborhoods....it's PARTY time!!

dani
dani 04/06/11 - 09:05 am
Is it just me or does area

Is it just me or does area teachers spend an inordinate amount of time whining on this board.

CharlesB 6:36..Well said.

corgimom
corgimom 04/06/11 - 09:09 am
Beats me, I'm not a teacher,

Beats me, I'm not a teacher, so I wouldn't know.

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/06/11 - 10:10 am
Good morning KSL, Dani and

Good morning KSL, Dani and corgi. Hope you all have a great week.

Jane18
Jane18 04/06/11 - 10:45 am
Obama WAS correct about the

Obama WAS correct about the 57 states-----------The 57 states of Islam!!!!!!!!!

Jane18
Jane18 04/06/11 - 10:46 am
I forgot to add-CHECK IT OUT!

I forgot to add-CHECK IT OUT!

daphne3520
daphne3520 04/06/11 - 11:45 am
Last Rant: Remember, you are

Last Rant: Remember, you are SOUTH of the Maryland State Line!

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 01:48 pm
Good afternoon, CharlesB. I

Good afternoon, CharlesB. I have a very short email for you. You know where to find my email address. I no longer have yours.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/06/11 - 05:17 pm
Be careful if you have to

Be careful if you have to leave your damaged home...on tv news tonight they say thieves are targeting these homes......tvs-jewels- etc. are taken.....just adds insult to injury...they are lower than rats to do this.

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/06/11 - 08:57 pm
I don't have it KSL. take my

I don't have it KSL. take my first initial, last name the numbers 71 and comcast.net and you have mine.

KSL
KSL 04/06/11 - 10:31 pm
Done.

Done.

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/07/11 - 01:27 am
Here's gor a great

Here's gor a great master's!!!

CharlesB
CharlesB 04/07/11 - 01:27 am
That should be FOR!! Get

That should be FOR!! Get it....fore...not funny...

bclicious
bclicious 04/07/11 - 06:44 am
Where are today's rants and

Where are today's rants and raves?

afarris
afarris 04/07/11 - 08:01 am
I hope that Aiken county

I hope that Aiken county really cracks down on the hoarder living in Belvedere this time. They removed almost 80 cats from her home last week and deemed it not fit for human habitation. The smell coming from the home is nausating. Not to mention, she is really dragging down my property value! This is not the first time either, she was convicted of animal cruelty and the home was also deemed unfit for human life in 2002.

shakingmyhead
shakingmyhead 04/07/11 - 10:00 am
they can build a 4 million

they can build a 4 million dollar complex because we are wealthy

shakingmyhead
shakingmyhead 04/07/11 - 10:02 am
how many have been murdered

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/07/11 - 12:00 pm
"how many have been murdered

"how many have been murdered in our allies country YEMEN thousands more than in libya.....over 5 million in the congo......so dont veil this as a humantarian mission ITS NOT"

If the country is not producing oil or natural gas, the government is not concerned about their civil war or instablity. I agree totally........

RoadkiII
RoadkiII 04/07/11 - 07:36 pm
Yep, Bush let gas prices get

Yep, Bush let gas prices get out of control. Apparently he is still the president since Obama hasn't done anything to stop the prices from going up.