Rants & raves

Comments from our readers:

OUR CITY IS absolutely beautiful in the spring. Take a drive and see God's work in color.

LABOR KEEPS screaming about "workers' rights." Workers have the same rights as everybody else in America. That means if they don't like their job, they have the right to resign.

THE U.S. GOVERNMENT is over a full trillion dollars in the hole, just on one year's budget, yet both big parties pretend to be having a knock-down, drag-out fight. They have now worked their phony "fight" down to a measly $33 billion. What's $33 billion as compared to a trillion? Peanuts, yet they insist on doing nothing about the real problem, all of which was set up by both parties and all the presidents over several decades.

A BIG RAVE for Dana of the Augusta Regional Airport marshal's office. When I flew out of ARA last week, somehow I had left my purse behind. Dana tracked me down within a few hours and told me they had secured my purse with all its contents for me to pick up upon my return. Thank you, Dana. Job well done.

THIS IS A BIG RAVE for the DOT officer that had that big rig pulled over on 56 this morning. Good job. I'd like to see you pull a few more of them speeding trucks over.

THEY NEED TO bring back the draft. It would take the young men off the street and give them a job. They could learn a trade, pay taxes and contribute to the economy. Right now they're out there doing nothing and living with granny.

A RANT AGAINST the Richmond County School System for expecting teachers to make up the two snow days in January. Why is it that teachers work late on most afternoons and still take home papers to grade, lesson plans to complete and parent phone calls to make? Not to mention countless weekends spent working on lesson plans or records or other special school projects. Shame on a miserly system with so many unnecessary people at the county office that they are tripping all over each other!

A RANTER WRITES "he/she," "his/her," and "he/she" again all in one sentence. Is that what modern schools are teaching and calling clear English grammar?

THIS IS A RAVE for Sheriff Strength for the additional Harrisburg deputy presence and for the community-based policing. Harrisburg is so much better now. We appreciate you!

copperhead
copperhead 04/04/11 - 02:47 am
Arguing over cutting .0033%

Arguing over cutting .0033% of the debt-AMAZING At this rate,we will put a dent in the debt in 4000 years. This is the change i was so hoping for.

InChristLove
InChristLove 04/04/11 - 06:35 am
For the ranter about wanting

For the ranter about wanting the draft brought back....No thank you. I have two sons, both working paying their own car payment, insurance, and phone bills. One has graduated and is attending college, the other will graduate this year. If junior is living with granny and doing nothing.....then it's time for granny to boot his butt out the door and tell him to get a job. The military is a wonderful opportunity for young men but not for all.

Beck Tears
Beck Tears 04/04/11 - 08:00 am
"THEY NEED TO bring back the

"THEY NEED TO bring back the draft. It would take the young men off the street and give them a job."

The military is not a dumping ground for people you don't like.

etlinks
etlinks 04/04/11 - 08:06 am
I agree with rave #1 take a

I agree with rave #1 take a ride down Park Ave. in the Forest Hills area it is beautiful.

asoldier
asoldier 04/04/11 - 08:56 am
You are absolutely right Beck

You are absolutely right Beck Tears. Today’s military is a highly trained highly technical organization. it not a dumping ground for the dregs of society.

dani
dani 04/04/11 - 09:02 am
If they young men want to get

If they young men want to get off the streets they can sign up for the military. After all, it IS voluntary.

dani
dani 04/04/11 - 09:05 am
The age change in Medicare

The age change in Medicare would be for younger workers, it would not affect workers who are now over age 40.

onlysane1left
onlysane1left 04/04/11 - 09:51 am
A RANTER WRITES "he/she,"

If you are uncertain what the persons sex is, it is apropos. You'd hate to call someone but the incorrect gender so you put the "he/she" to give balance in case one is wrong, like "Dear Sir or Madam:" in a letter. I was taught this is English many years ago, but maybe my schooling isn't modern enough for your tastes.

seenitB4
seenitB4 04/04/11 - 10:40 am
Some don't have a good

Some don't have a good life..sooooo they want to nit pick spelling-grammar-misprints--typing errors---that kinda makes them feel good about themselves....
So sad that farmville doesn't thrill them anymore.....

You are wasting your brain cells in sooo many ways.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 10:47 am
Hotrod never came back home.

Hotrod never came back home. She would be home if she could. She is a black cat with no tail and no teeth. If someone has her shut up in a house,trying to give her a home, please know she is loved and missed. Click on my name and see her picture, and contact me. There is a reward for her safe return.

AutumnLeaves
AutumnLeaves 04/04/11 - 12:14 pm
That is MEAN Common.sense.

That is MEAN Common.sense. How would YOU like someone to say that regarding YOUR pet.

Common.sense
Common.sense 04/04/11 - 12:14 pm
Bring back the draft? No

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 12:56 pm
Hotrod was taken very good

Hotrod was taken very good care of. Common you don't know a thing about loving a pet. We considered her a family member. She went outside for awhile everyday, and spent that time in our yard, our neighbor's yard, and in the woods. She came inside that night, and ate a few bites of her food. My husband opened the door, and she sneaked out. She was not hit by a car. A wild animal got her, or someone has her shut up trying to give her a home. So you can stop with the cruel comments.

KSL
KSL 04/04/11 - 02:32 pm
Nothing is more miserable

Nothing is more miserable than a cat who has been used to spending some time outside and is forced to stay inside. I'd rather take my chances with cats being allowed out when the area is reasonably safe. Apparently where Hotrod lived was safe as I believe she was up in age.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 02:48 pm
Thanks KSL. She was up in

Thanks KSL. She was up in age, and the area is safe, except at night when wild animals roam. Hotrod had good medical care, and got her nails trimmed. She got flea medication each month, and I bought her chicken and the best catfood. If we were gone over night, someone came by to check on her and Rambo. Nothing is too good for our faithful cat and snake. Hotrod especially liked lemon pepper rotisserie chicken from Kroger.

follower 04/04/11 - 03:53 pm
Happy, my heart goes out to

Happy, my heart goes out to you. We just had to put down our 12 year old shepard. I cried like a baby. Only a pet owner/lover would understand.

Common, very uncalled for. If you've never had a pet, try it. I'll wager you'd measure such a comment more carefully.

Crime Reports and Rewards TV
Crime Reports and Rewards TV 04/04/11 - 03:54 pm
"NOW LAWMAKERS WANT to raise

"NOW LAWMAKERS WANT to raise the age from 65 to 67 to be eligible for Medicare. This matter probably does not concern them because they do not have to worry about health care. Seems more and more is taken away from the hard working, middle class man. Seems it gets worse each day for people to scrape by to just exist."

That's because taxpayers don't hold them accountable and they know it. Have you EVER heard of any tax user getting any of the money these folks working for the city stole from us? But if it was us owing them any money they'd be coming to get our homes. This is an illegal double standard. One set of laws for them, a completely different set of laws for U.S. Join us April 14th for the tea party meeting and you’ll finally meet the folks that pay most of the bills around here and survive in spite of the governments “help”. If tax payers could get tax users to obey our own laws about 1 tax user per week would be frog marched off on TV for misappropriation of tax money, or worse.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 06:17 pm
follower I was taught by my

follower I was taught by my parents that if someone does not like animals, then stay away from them.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 06:20 pm
Come on AC. I can't post that

Come on AC. I can't post that common.sense is not worth my time, and that I can't post what I think of him? Where is the violation? Nowhere.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 06:27 pm
follower I am sorry about

follower I am sorry about your dog. It has been over 2 wks since Hotrod disappeared, and I still cry. Everything reminds me of her. Maybe I could have some closure if I knew what happened to her.

KSL
KSL 04/04/11 - 06:32 pm
Happy, at least they didn't

Happy, at least they didn't leave common.sense callous comment up.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 06:48 pm
I know.

I know.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 06:51 pm
We went shopping today, and

We went shopping today, and when we drove up in the yard, I could almost see Hotrod waiting for us on the porch, or inside hollering till we went inside.She always knew when we were back home.

KSL
KSL 04/04/11 - 09:21 pm
Email sent to you.

Email sent to you.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/04/11 - 09:32 pm
Beck Tears says; "The

Beck Tears says; "The military is not a dumping ground for people you don't like."
_____________________

Not only that, but the Military is very picky about who they enlist. Their standards have changed drastically!

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/04/11 - 09:39 pm
Common Sense says; "Bring

Common Sense says; "Bring back the draft? No thanks! I don't need the government telling me that I have to serve in the military. It is my CHOICE."
______________________

That's right, CS, it is your choice! However, in times of need, anyone who wouldn't serve his, or her country, doesn't deserve to live here!

KSL
KSL 04/04/11 - 09:41 pm
This is a different world.

This is a different world. Their standards needed to change. You have to have intelligent and educated people to perform in today's military. Heaven help us if you had every Tom, Dick and Harry off the street trying to do what today's soldiers are trying to do. That said, I do understand where people are coming from as far as the discipline training that the military gives. Some of our southern high schools in past years were quite good at that training. Mine was.

happychimer
happychimer 04/04/11 - 09:55 pm
KSL I did not get email from

KSL I did not get email from you.

Sargebaby
Sargebaby 04/04/11 - 09:58 pm
It's the discipline in

It's the discipline in training that usually gets the enlistees kicked out of the Military. Years ago, when I first went in the service, kids were ordered to the Military by judges who gave them a choice, jail or the Military! They don't do that anymore! Entrance to the Military is highly selective, and many are turned away for even one misdemeanor violation.

WW1949
WW1949 04/04/11 - 11:20 pm
You can't take a dummie and

You can't take a dummie and have them operate million dollar equipment. I think the military does not want anyone who has not graduated from high school and would prefer a degree. Am I right Sargebaby? When I deal with people in the military now, they are way above the average. Thanks you all for your service and to common sense I say where is your sense-did you loose it?