Many of Augusta's grand old landmarks are gone, but St. Paul's Episcopal Church remains a familiar sight on Reynolds Street near the Savannah River. The church, as the old headstones in its graveyard can testify, has been part of the city's history since its beginnings.
The first St. Paul's was constructed in 1750 at the site of Fort Augusta, a British military outpost. Other structures followed, including one destroyed by the Great Fire of 1916. The current building, a Georgian colonial design by renowned Augusta architect H.T.E. Wendell, was completed in 1919.
St. Paul's historic graveyard attracts many visitors. Sixty-five tombstones date back to 1783, but the actual number of people buried on church property might be much higher. Remains of well-known people resting in St. Paul's churchyard include Georgia Gov. George Matthews, who held office in the 18th century; Col. William Few, who signed the U.S. Constitution; and inventor William Longstreet, who developed a steamboat engine nine years before Robert Fulton's Hudson River experiments in New York.